The Brits Only Thread

Comments

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    edited June 2017
    And we won, and I use ketchup.

Kistan said:
    Well its fine for fish and chips but not for a sausage or bacon sandwich.

Oh no it isn't, I've seen some abominations be thrown on fish and chips, like mustard.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• edited June 2017
    Xenthos said:
    ... are you all really headed towards a debate of the electoral college?  That's a good way to get lost in the weeds of centuries-old decisions about power distribution that probably do not make as much sense in the modern era.

PS: If this is Brits-only, does that mean only British moderators should moderate it?

PPS: Many Americans do not do so well at listening when told not to speak.  Right, Celina?  I have managed to resist for days...

Edit: Or a single day?  It sure feels like days, though.  So difficult.

It's ingrained in American culture to instinctively rebel when anyone from Britain tells us what to do and make fun of their hats/accents/teeth (pick one).

Known Aliases: Celina/Cyndarin/Fire Jesus/The Night/That Bitch who griefed us
    Fyler said:
    Xenthos said:
    ... are you all really headed towards a debate of the electoral college?  That's a good way to get lost in the weeds of centuries-old decisions about power distribution that probably do not make as much sense in the modern era.

PS: If this is Brits-only, does that mean only British moderators should moderate it?

PPS: Many Americans do not do so well at listening when told not to speak.  Right, Celina?  I have managed to resist for days...

It's ingrained in American culture to instinctively rebel when anyone from Britain tells us what to do and make fun of their hats/accents/teeth (pick one).
    I'm sorry but accents? Have you heard yourselves?

You might as well mock Canada's social care.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Fyler said:

You forgot their spelling. Definitely have to mock their excessive vowels and whatnot. It's important.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Considering I've heard multi-contracted words (needlessly done so) so much here in America, even in professional environments, I don't think you can really pull the spelling card much any more. Y'all'd've had them too if you hadn't been such awful children.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • Karlach said:
    Fyler said:
    Xenthos said:

Yes, I have heard us. It's the sound of freedom. 
  • edited June 2017
    hey! don't forget the food! it's abysmal! :P

(i'm joking. I love steak, &  potatoes & fry ups & fish & chips but if I had to eat full english brekkie every day ....with no relief: i'd cry my eyes out. It be a penance after day five. A chip sawney....just whyyyy?)

(Jamie oliver & sortedfood taught me how to cook! )
    edited June 2017
    Fyler said:
    Karlach said:
    Fyler said:
    Xenthos said:

You're talking to the country of Magna Carta, Habeus Corpus, Bill of Rights and the abolition of slavery act and broke free of European Catholic dominance.

We were writing the book on freedom long before you were backstabbing native Americans over a turkey dinner.

As Will McAvoy said in the Newsroom, 207 sovereign states in the world, a good 180 of them have freedom.

• edited June 2017
    I mostly just wanted to post a picture of Hyacinth Bucket, that was my only goal. My problem is I keep reading that in her voice and it makes me laugh too much
  • Arix said:
    I mostly just wanted to post a picture of Hyacinth Bucket, that was my only goal. My problem is I keep reading that in her voice and it makes me laugh too much
    Yeah, but you're mispronouncing it: it's Bouquet. 
  • edited June 2017
    I am aware it's pronounced Bouquet and spelled Bucket. I generally liked the stuff with Onslow and Daisy more than I did Hyacinth and Richard though
    Versalean said:
    Arix said:
    Yeah, but you're mispronouncing it: it's Bouquet. 
    Could be worse, could be aluminium. They were so bad at pronouncing that they changed the spelling.

On a more serious note, these protests after Grenfell seem to have the same buildup as the London riots a few years ago. Hoping they don't end with the same levels of violence.

• @Karlach I didn't mispronounce it
    I never said you did, that was Versa.

• Was Grenfell Tower government housing, IE an estate or whatever they're called over there?

• Karlach said:
    Fyler said:
    Karlach said:
    Fyler said:
    Xenthos said:

You're talking to the country of Magna Carta, Habeus Corpus, Bill of Rights and the abolition of slavery act and broke free of European Catholic dominance.

We were writing the book on freedom long before you were backstabbing native Americans over a turkey dinner.

As Will McAvoy said in the Newsroom, 207 sovereign states in the world, a good 180 of them have freedom.
    Sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sound of Pilgrims fleeing England over a lack of religious freedom. 
  • Keep it civil, friends. We'd hate to have to shut down a fun thread for people because of conversations that go too far.
  • edited June 2017
    Uh....is this not civil? We're not actually upset over the  Magna Carta and 1600s Pilgrims. 
    Yeah, which is why you have a history of one religion dominating your laws.

@Arix it's public housing, yes. Kensington is one of the most affluent places in London, yet has the weirdest income gaps.

The towers were built to offer workers on below average for the area wages somewhere affordable to live.

The people there are all employed but can't afford normal housing in the area they work because Kensington is expensive a f.

• edited June 2017
    Mmm, we do? A number of the founding fathers were Athiests, and our first amendment is separation of Church and State. We have a modern religious wing like any government, and a handful of rogue religious states but the district courts and Supreme Court have a pretty solid history of slapping them down. Even our current conservative Court!
    That doesn't take away from what I said, one religion dominates the impact that faith has had on american law.

Anyway, you've spent enough time making the thread about you wayward colonials. Toodle pip.

• Amazing British Shows for British people: Taskmaster

(Soon coming to America where hopefully it'll still be good so I can watch double the amount)
  • After what they did to The Office... :'(
  • Karlach said:
    That doesn't take away from what I said, one religion dominates the impact that faith has had on american law.

Anyway, you've spent enough time making the thread about you wayward colonials. Toodle pip.
    Real question: Do you really say toodle pip?

• I've only heard it a few times, from very posh people.

No one's ever said "What ho!" in earshot though.
  • Fyler said:
    Real question: Do you really say toodle pip?

I've heard it ironically from a coworker, but never in actual conversation.
    Forum Avatar drawn by our lovely Isune.
  • I've also heard it on many occasions, although it's always tongue-in-cheek.
  • what about "jolly good"?
  • Yes, often, but now it's used in a kind of insincere way usually accompanied by a sigh. Like "You've decided to quit your job so you can devote more time to your band? Jolly good." *Sigh*