The Brits Only Thread

Comments

• what about 'blimey'?
  • Blimey is still used by some people who don't swear. My mum says blimey.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Ordassa said:
    what about "jolly good"?
    Only sarcastically where we mean the absolute opposite.

And Versa, watch their version of Dad's army, it's atrocious.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Let's not forget how they ruined The IT crowd and The Inbetweeners too.
  • You forgot Red Dwarf
  • Then again I saw some of the recent attemps at rebooting shows like Are You Being Served, and was disappointed. I mean the references were all there and it had a decent sense of continuity, but the attempt at copying the original show's sense of humor weemed like it was trying too hard
  • Whoa, whoa, whoa. Let's back up a little bit. An AMERICAN version of:

Red Dwarf?
    Dad's Army!?!

wtf?
  • Red Dwarf had a single pilot episode, starring Jane Leeves as Holly. It was excruciating
  • Dads Army also had a 2016 movie
  • The movie was not American made

• I'm literally confused as to how you could translate that specific story about the home guard into... Murica?
  • Kistan said:
    Next question should be:

Eating a sausage sandwich:
    Brown sauce
    Red sauce
    No sauce at all

If they ask what brown sauce is, boot them

Sausage square or standard sausage?
  • Wtf is a sausage square? 
  • Southerners :P
  • Are you talking about HP sauce?
  • why is this thread everything i thought it'd be
  • Portius said:
    Fyler said:

It's ingrained in American culture to instinctively rebel when anyone from Britain tells us what to do and make fun of their hats/accents/teeth (pick one).

You forgot their spelling. Definitely have to mock their excessive vowels and whatnot. It's important.
    You fourgout their spelling. Definitely have to mouck their excessive vuowels and whatnout. It's impourtant.

ftfy
    Not the movie, which was also terrible, but yes there was an American version of Dad's Army.

It sucked, awfully.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• edited June 2017
    Do people who lived there for 6 months, plan to return after they're finished with their studies, are masters of the self-check-out at Tesco and regularly import large quantities of Twinings since not all of their blends are sold in Germany count as well?
    Anyone who's ever been able to navigate "unexpected item in the bagging area!" without needing staff assistance counts.

• Karlach said:
    Anyone who's ever been able to navigate "unexpected item in the bagging area!" without needing staff assistance counts.
    Just so you know, American stores have that too. 
  • Oh goodness yes
  • Thyelleia said:
    are masters of the self-check-out at Tesco

I would just assume your a dirty liar. :D
  • Veyils said:
    Thyelleia said:
    are masters of the self-check-out at Tesco

I would just assume your a dirty liar. :D
    Soon she will claim to be able to put up a deckchair without trapping her thumb or that when she drops butteres bread, it lands butter side up.

May as well say she walks on water
  • I define master as 'it likes me so much that it constantly wants to talk to me' :P
    True story, she's so good at it she was helping other people at the last UK lusternia meet.

She's a master.

Kerith said:
    Karlach said:
    Just so you know, American stores have that too. 
    Does it come with the same condescending female voice in a Queen's English accent though?

• ... I just had a British company with no US presence whatsoever send me an email with the subject "Independence Day Whiskies" with the tagline "Celebrate the 4th of July with our great selection of whiskies" - I'm not sure if they're taking the piss, they're targeting their advertising very well, or you all are just that glad to be rid of the colonies. Either way, there's a 21-year Glen Grant for less than £90 I'm tempted to grab.
    Forum Avatar drawn by our lovely Isune.