The Brits Only Thread

1235»

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Karlach said:
    Kerith said:
    Karlach said:
    Anyone who's ever been able to navigate "unexpected item in the bagging area!" without needing staff assistance counts.
    Just so you know, American stores have that too. 
    Does it come with the same condescending female voice in a Queen's English accent though?

I can't tell you which English accent is Queen's English, but one of our stores here definitely has a female English accent as she repeatedly indicates that there are unexpected items in the baggage area.

• Karlach said:
    Kerith said:
    Karlach said:
    Anyone who's ever been able to navigate "unexpected item in the bagging area!" without needing staff assistance counts.
    Just so you know, American stores have that too. 
    Does it come with the same condescending female voice in a Queen's English accent though?
    No, that would probably be more amusing. Ours just has a generic robot voice. But loud and slightly alarmed sounding.
  • I wish, we had more self-checkouts here in Germany. Makes shopping so much faster and more fun (even though the voice might get a bit annoying from time to time). The only store that has it here afaik is Ikea.
  • Xenthos said:

I can't tell you which English accent is Queen's English, but one of our stores here definitely has a female English accent as she repeatedly indicates that there are unexpected items in the baggage area.

Received pronunciation of course is Queen's English.

Unless you are from up north, but that can't be true as there is no electricity past London

• That must be tilting for ya'll: having an English accent spring up from the checkout. I mean, aren't you just braced for it to suddenly reveal that it was the true villain all along, whilst twirling its moustache? 
  • So, for any of my British compadres who are packing lunch for their children, you should be appraised of these guidelines:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-41427319

The highlights:

Carrot sticks not crisps

For parents making up packed lunches, the Children's Food Trust recommends they include a piece of food from each of the following categories:

• starchy foods like bread, pasta or potatoes
    • fruit and veg, so sticks of cucumber, celery or carrot, alongside a piece of fruit
    • meat, fish, eggs and beans - strips of chicken or bean dips, it suggests
    • dairy food such as cheese in a sandwich or a yoghurt or fromage frais
    • a drink - milk or water are the best choices for children's teeth, the trust says, and if you want to pack fruit juice, stick to a 150ml portion

But foods and drinks high in saturated fat, sugar and/or salt, like crisps and chocolate biscuits, should be avoided, the trust says.

• I take Peppa Pig, organic fromage frais in my lunch box for work. My husband says if I eat it all, then I can have some kale when I come home from work. 
    Moon Priestess Ridien says, "The blood of an animal, however, can also be a tool. Consider fetishes -
    - efficient, powerful tools created by ecologists. It is exactly as Kendra says -- a tool of bones 
    and blood that has been magnified, changed, enchanted. Made into a tool."
  • DysDys
    edited October 2017
    We're doing a bake off at work. My week was a Brexit theme:

Edit: I think that's an embedded picture now.
  • This is why I shouldn't forums in an open plan office. Just laughed so hard that a bunch of my colleagues came over to see what was so funny.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Uh... I've had exactly that conversation (not just heard). :p
  • Xenthos said:
    Uh... I've had exactly that conversation (not just heard). :p
    You can't be a Merican, then, because every time I ask one of them how they are they freak out.