[Mafia Game] Pick Your Power Mafia: Lusternia - GG! TOWN VICTORY!

edited July 2017 in Mafia Hideout

Table of Contents

Draft System

Role Descriptions

Q&A

Important Posts

Number Selection Start

Draft Order

Day 1  |  Night 1, Night 1.5

Day 2  |  Night 2

Day 3  |  Night 3

Day 4  |  Night 4

Day 5  |  Night 5

Day 6  |

Endgame

Introduction

Mafia is an educated guessing game of epic proportions, in which players try to outwit each other and lead their team to victory. The town's goal is to kill all members of the mafia. However, if the mafia team at any time outnumbers or equals the townspeople, they win. In this game, there will be an important twist: everyone will start out as either a vanilla townie, mafia, or third party and have the chance to secretly draft a special role before the game's first Day phase.

The game is typically very active, so the thread will get long quickly. However, it is essential to read the thread to play the game. If you do not have the time or patience to read the whole thread, then I do not recommend participating in this game.

Rules

1. Voting must be in the form of ##Vote Player (for example, ##Vote Irillia) in the thread, or your vote will not be counted. I will post updated vote counts whenever I have the chance. If you wish to change your vote to someone else, please make a new post with the following format:

##Unvote Irillia

##Vote Estarra

2.  Day will last 72 hours, with a deadline of 7:59 PM Eastern/6:59 PM Central/11:59 PM GMT. The player who has received the most votes in that time will be lynched. In the event of a tie, the person who received the most votes first will be lynched.

3. Night will last 24 hours, with a deadline of 7:59 PM Eastern/6:59 PM Central/11:59 PM GMT. You may not post in the thread during Night phases. If you do not send in your Night actions before the deadline, it will count as no action.

4. You are not allowed to communicate with each other outside the thread unless your role specifically allows you to do this.

5. Once you are eliminated, do not continue posting in the thread. One polite goodbye post is fine, as long as it is brief and contains no game-changing information.

6. You are not allowed to quote your role PM or any PM you receive from the host.

7. Do not discuss game details outside of the game.

8. Do not edit your posts. Double-post instead if you want to clarify something.

9. Please be sportsmanlike and not rude or inflammatory, lest you spontaneously burst into flame. You will receive one warning.

10. Please post at least once per Day phase and vote every Day phase while you are alive. The first time you fail to do so, you will receive a warning. The second time, you will be modkilled. However, if something comes up and you have to miss a Day phase, just inform me ahead of time and there shouldn't be a problem.

11. If you need to go inactive, please let me know so I can find a replacement player. Those interested in being a replacement player, please message me to be put on the waitlist.

Credits

Thank you to everyone who has moderated before and to Mafiascum/TeamLiquid Mafia for this setup. Thanks also go to @Sylandra for her encouragement and to my balance team for their help.

Player List (14 Players)

1. @Arix, Town Godfather - Died Night 1

2. @Silvanus, Town Vote Detective - Died Night 3

3. @Othero

4. @Shaddus, Town Mad Hatter- Died Night 5

5. @Fyler, Vanilla Townie - Died Night 4

6. @Kalikai, Vanilla Mafia - Lynched Day 3

7. @Lehki

8. @Tarkenton replaced by @Sylandra, Town Inventor - Died Night 1.5

9. @Phoebus

10. @Vivet, Vanilla Mafia - Lynched Day 5

11. @Ellowyn, Town Role Detective - Lynched Day 2

12. @Falaeron, Town Bad Santa - Died Night 5

13. @Dys, Vanilla Townie - Died Night 2

14. @Tremula, Vanilla Townie - Lynched Day 4

Replacement List

Draft Order Results

1. Tarkenton Sylandra

2. Arix

3. Ellowyn

4. Tremula

5. Falaeron

6. Dys

7. Shaddus

8. Kalikai

9. Silvanus

10. Othero

11. Phoebus

12. Vivet

13. Fyler

14. Lehki

Avatar created by the amazing Feyrll.

Comments

• edited July 2017

Starting Roles

In Pick Your Power Mafia, everyone begins the game with vanilla roles, which may or may not include Vanilla Town, Vanilla Mafia, or Vanilla Third Party, as follows:

Vanilla Town

You are Vanilla Town! Your job is to use teamwork and analysis to hunt down and lynch the mafia. You have no powers in the game except voting (so far). Remember that the game is in draft phase and you get to pick a role. Don't forget to send in your numbers!

You win by getting rid of all anti-town players.

Vanilla Mafia

You are Vanilla Mafia! The ability to kill one (1) player per night belongs to your team. The Mafia team this round consists of [Insert Player Names Here]. One of you must PM me a target you want to kill during the Night phase. You may communicate with each other in PMs at night. Remember that the game is in draft phase and you get to pick a role, plus you can coordinate your number picks with the other Mafia. Don't forget to send in your numbers!

You win when you outnumber the town or when there is no way for them to stop you from outnumbering them.

Vanilla Third Party

You are a Vanilla Third Party Serial Killer! Every night you can choose to kill one (1) player. You are considered Town-aligned for the purposes of detective checks and are bulletproof at night. Your kills also go through bulletproof vests. Remember that the game is in draft phase and you get to pick a role. Don't forget to send in your numbers!

You win when two or fewer members of the combined town/mafia remain to oppose you.

Drafting Phase

The procedure for drafting will work like this:

1. At the beginning of the game, you will receive your Vanilla role PM, which will tell you your alignment. After receiving their Vanilla role PMs, players can start posting in the thread.

2. Players will then have 24 hours to pick two numbers from 1-20 (for example, [1][19]) and PM them to me.

3. I will create a drafting order based on everyone's numbers and the system described below. If you do not send me any numbers, I will automatically place you at the bottom of the list. Then I will post the draft order in the thread.

4. After that, all players will have another 24 hours to PM me with the role they want to select from the role list. Any role can go to any side. If you don't send in a role pick during that time, you will keep your Vanilla role.

5. Every player will receive the role that he or she selected. However, if two people select the same role, only the player who is higher in the draft order will get that role. The player lower in the draft order will be notified that their role has already been picked and they will keep their Vanilla role.

6. Once I have PMed everyone with their final roles and powers, then Day 1 will start.

Creating the Draft Order

The first number closest to 1 will be first in the draft order. However, if several players pick the same first number, they will all go to the bottom of the draft order. Then I would move on to the next lowest number (in this case, 2) and the same rules apply. If no other player has picked 2, then the person who picked 2 will become first in the draft order. This continues until I get to 20.

Now, the second number is used to determine who goes first, in the event of players picking the same first number. The lowest number of the second number goes first and so on. In the event players picked the same two numbers, I will once again reset them to the back of the queue (for the order they are in). In the event that your first and second numbers clash with another player's numbers, you both go straight to the bottom of the order. So, if three players picked [4][1], [4][1] and [4][7], the two players with [4][1] are bumped below the player that picked [4][7] along with the original bump. Ultimately, the most unique number combination will get priority.

For an example of how the draft order comes aliiiiiive:

Player A - [4][19]

Player B - [1][12]

Player C - [1][6]

Player D - [7][8]

Player E - [3][4]

Player F - [7][8]

Player G - [7][20]

Players B and C both picked 1. They go to the back of the queue. Player E is the next lowest number and the only one that picked 3, so he or she goes first. Then player A, as the only one to pick 4, will be next. Then, because Players D, F, and G all picked 7, they also go to the end behind Players B and C because of 7 coming after 1.

Current Order: Bolded players are locked into position.

Player E - [3][4]

Player A - [4][19]

Player B - [1][12]

Player C - [1][6]

Player D - [7][8]

Player F - [7][8]

Player G - [7][20]

Now I just resolve Players B, C, D, F and G. Between B and C, I look at the second number. B has a 12, while C has a 6. Thus, C gets to pick before B.

Current Order: Bolded players are locked into position.

Player E - [3][4]

Player A - [4][19]

Player C - [1][6]

Player B - [1][12]

Player D - [7][8]

Player F - [7][8]

Player G - [7][20]

Now, between D, F, and G, who all picked the same first number, I look at the second number to determine their order. Player G has a different number [7][20], whereas D and F both have [7][8]. Following the same rule as before, G gets to pick before D and F.

Player E - [3][4]

Player A - [4][19]

Player C - [1][6]

Player B - [1][12]

Player G - [7][20]

Player D - [7][8]

Player F - [7][8]

In the case of D and F, I just roll a die to determine who goes first, since they have the same two numbers. Whoever gets a higher number on the die roll will go first. Thus, if F got a 6 and D got a 3 on a die roll, then F goes before D.

Player E - [3][4]

Player A - [4][19]

Player C - [1][6]

Player B - [1][12]

Player G - [7][20]

Player F - [7][8]

Player D - [7][8]

Please let me know if you have any questions! Remember, once the number-picking phase is done, the draft order will be made public. However, you won't know what roles got picked or who picked what roles. That will be for me to know (mwahaha!) and you to figure out during the game.

• edited June 2017

Available Roles

Parity Detective: You are an Alignment Detective with the ability to compare Investigations. Instead of receiving "Town" or "Mafia" results, your targets will be compared for Alignment. On Night 1, you will receive no result. Every night thereafter, the new person you investigate will be compared with the person you investigated the prior night. If they are all of the same alignment, you will receive the result "Same"; otherwise, you will receive the result "Different". Millers, godfathers, and serial killers will be considered Town-aligned.

Role Detective: You can investigate people at night and learn their role.

Vote Detective: At night, you can either investigate a player to learn that player's role or ask me how many mafia voted to lynch a specific person. You may only use each ability once.

Medic: You have the power to save lives. Every night, you may protect someone, thus allowing them to survive being shot once. You cannot target yourself at night.

CPR Doctor: Be careful with that thing! If the person you are protecting gets attacked, then you protect them as normal. However, if they aren't attacked that night, you end up killing them. You cannot target yourself at night.

Mad Hatter: You start the game with two bombs and may lay one of those bombs on one player per night. If you are killed, you will throw the switch and detonate all bombs you have laid, killing those players (if they aren't protected by extra night lives or medics). The Mad Hatter may remove bombs from players at any time during the night to get them back, but if a player is lynched with a bomb on them while the Mad Hatter is still alive, the Mad Hatter loses that bomb for good. Bombs are refunded if the target is killed during the night.

Bulletproof: You are immune to night kills. However, if you get roleblocked, it cancels out this power.

Day Vigilante: During the Day, you may type ##Kill Player in the thread. That player dies and Day goes on. You can only shoot once.

Jack of All Trades: Aren't you just so talented? You can use one of the following powers at night: Investigate Alignment (Sane), Protect, Shoot, and Bulletproof. You can only use each power once. Please PM me to let me know which power (if any) you plan to use that night.

Inventor: At night, you can invent anything you feel like: a gun with one bullet, an extra bullet, a med-kit, a detective kit, a telephone, or whatever else you can think of. PM me with what you want to invent, how it works, and what player you want to give it to (it cannot be yourself). The next Day post will include a brief statement letting everyone know what was invented, but not to whom it was given. Of course, if I consider your invention to be imbalanced or game-breaking, I won't allow it and you will have to invent something else. You can only invent the same thing (or something very similar) once, and each invention can only be used once by the target. Lastly, you can only give one invention to each player until the remaining alive players have all received an invention.

Godfather: As a clever and cunning leader, you have the ability to PM me once per night to cover a player, changing their role and alignment to appear as anything you want for investigative checks. You can choose to appear as a role of your choice (including Vanilla Town) to all types of detective actions. You are also immune to votechecks.

Roleblocker: You can prevent people from using their night powers for one night. This also breaks the Bulletproof role power for that night, but not the Serial Killer's innate bulletproof ability. You cannot roleblock the same player on consecutive nights.

Copycat: You begin the game with no powers. However, when the first power role dies, you get an exact copy of their role.

Vote Rigger: You have two one-shot powers. The first power is that you can force a double lynch at any time during the day (the two leading candidates at the end of the day are lynched). The second power lets you buy someone else's lynch vote for the current day, forcing them to place their vote on whomever you want. Surprise! You may only activate one power at a time.

Prince(ss) of Darkness: You love when the sun goes down and the day is done. During any night phase, you can choose to send the game into a second night phase by PMing me. You can only use this ability once per game.

Jailkeeper: You have the ability to lock a player in jail once per night, preventing Night actions on a player of your choice during the Night phase, such as detective checks, bombs, and Night hits. It does not prevent roleblocks. The player who is jailed will also not be able to perform any Night actions. No one will be notified of any results. Jailkeeper can protect someone the night he or she gets killed. You may not jail yourself.

Pardoner: During the Day, you can save a player from being lynched by typing ##Pardon Player in the thread. You can only use this ability once. You can Pardon yourself.

Janitor: Even though you're always busy cleaning up after other people's messes, you love your job so much that you'll even clean up dead bodies. During the Night, you may PM me that you want to clean up all the dead bodies. No player's role or alignment will be revealed upon death during the next Day. You can only use this ability once.

Bad Santa: At the start of the game, you may send me a list of 4 players' names. If any of those players are the cause of death for each other by Night kill, voting for a successful lynch, or any other means, then I will let you pick one of the remaining names and kill them the next night.  This ability may be used multiple times.

• edited June 2017

Game Questions and Answers

If anyone has any questions about the rules, please feel free to let me know, whether through PMs or a post in the game thread. Any questions that concern the game as a whole will be listed here so that everyone can be aware of the answers.

1) How do the Day and Night cycles work with the draft system?

After receiving their Vanilla role PMs, everyone should send me their numbers within 24 hours. Then I will post the draft order, and in the next 24 hours, you will send me your role picks. After that, we will have a 72-hour Day 1 as normal. Any power that has to be activated during the night will not take place on Day 1.

2) What happens if a Role Detective checks someone without a role?

The result they get back is Vanilla, nothing else.

3) Does being Bulletproof stop the CPR doctor from killing me?

Yes.

4) How does the Prince(ss) of Darkness role function?

When the person with this role activates it, you'll see the Night phase end as normal. Then, when the Day phase is supposed to start, the town will be notified that we'll be going into another night phase immediately. The second night phase also lasts for 24 hours. 

• Number Selection Day

Vanilla role PMs have just gone out, so the game has officially begun! (If you did not receive a role PM, please let me know as soon as possible.) Please read the OPs above carefully and PM me with two numbers from 1-20. You have until 7:59 PM Eastern/6:59 PM Central/11:59 PM GMT, June 24 (approximately 27 hours from now) to PM me with your numbers. Choose carefully! If you do not send me your numbers in time, I will automatically put you at the end of the draft order list.

You may also start posting in this thread until the beginning of Night 1. Again, thank you all for joining the game.

• Got a question. Will we know our position in the draft before we send our choice?
  • Yes, I will post the draft order in the thread and then you will have 24 hours to PM me with the role you want to pick.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Oh, we determine draft order and get the advantage of knowing that before we pick. Derp derp, need to read more.
  • Hello, checking in and whatnot
  • ##Vote Arix
  • edited June 2017

Draft Order Results

1. Tarkenton

2. Arix

3. Ellowyn

4. Tremula

5. Falaeron

6. Dys

7. Shaddus

8. Kalikai

9. Silvanus

10. Othero

11. Phoebus

12. Vivet

13. Fyler

14. Lehki

(Kalikai finished her trip, so normal schedule resumes!) You all now have 24 hours from now to PM me with your role selection from the list of available roles in this game. Again, choose wisely!

• Well shit.
  • My numbers were 3-15, what'd the rest of you take?
  • Just to clarify, you can all PM me with your role pick at any time during the next 48 hours, just as you did with your numbers, and I will resolve your roles according to the draft order I posted. 
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    I swung for the fences. 1-1
    Figured everyone would overthink it and not do that. Guess I figured right :)
    Pretty much.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    I didn't want to overthink it and just went with my favorite numbers

2 and 13
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • I went with lucky numbers, 4 and 13
  • I went with 7 and 10
    I picked 3 and 4.
  • Arix said:
    I went with lucky numbers, 4 and 13
    I should have gone with 6-12
  • Just to reiterate, the deadline for picking your role is now in 24 hours (well, 20.5 hours, I think?) from now, not 48 hours. Sorry for waffling back and forth on the schedule; I promise this will be the last time unless some emergency comes up!
  • Oh missed that Vivet was also a 3. So if I'm understanding the draft rules right, I think that means Fyler also picked 3, and that Silvanus, Othero, and Phoebus all picked 2?
  • Oh hey, @Irillia, another question. Scum haven't gotten a chance to nightchat yet, right?
  • Mafia have the opportunity to discuss their number picks and role picks before Day 1 starts, as stated in the example vanilla Mafia PM: 

Irillia said:

Vanilla Mafia

You are Vanilla Mafia! The ability to kill one (1) player per night belongs to your team. The Mafia team this round consists of [Insert Player Names Here]. One of you must PM me a target you want to kill during the Night phase. You may communicate with each other in PMs at night. Remember that the game is in draft phase and you get to pick a role, plus you can coordinate your number picks with the other Mafia. Don't forget to send in your numbers!

You win when you outnumber the town or when there is no way for them to stop you from outnumbering them.

• Ooooh I missed that part. In that case analyzing people's number picks could be interesting. Given that the rules for the draft and the end order are both known, I don't think people will be able to lie about their number picks easily, so definitely think everybody should report what they picked.

Since they can coordinate, I don't think it is likely that any of them picked conflicting numbers, sending themselves to the back of the queue intentionally just does not seem like a smart ploy to me. Though granted still possible somebody might have just, forgotten to check night chat first before picking numbers. So among any group of same number people, there's likely at most 1 mafia for each group.

Does that logic make sense, or am I reaching too much with this?
  • dunno, i just decided early on i was going with 13 and 4
  • I did 11 and something else, using Google RNG. So now we need to pick a power that no one before us has picked or we end up vanilla?
    Yep
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    I went with 5 and 11 because I like the numbers, and ended up with the 11.