Simple Ideas

Comments

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited June 2017
    Or just give -woods a skill that works like masquerade. Temporarily shift back to your regular form, can't use (most?) -wood spec skills until you turn it off. 

That way you can use your racial perks for whatever else you want to do? I guess I don't get why you would be so desperate for the racial perks of another race, instead of ones that can ostensibly be tailored to work utterly perfectly with your primary skill, as a natural extension of them. 
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I mean, I don't see why I should be confined to only having one eye as a krokani. 
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Shaddus said:
    I mean, I don't see why I should be confined to only having one eye as a krokani. 
    Ugh, next you'll be saying trill should have hair.
    The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!
  • Haha, Lusternia's version of Godwin Law - any RP discussion will eventually end up being about trill with hair. (This is a joke, by the way)

To be fair, I sort of sympathize with Aesyra's position. The entire point of the racial overhaul was to divorce certain races from being mechanically tied (informally) to certain classes. It is still the case that some races are mechanically superior for certain classes now, of course, but I also think it is objectively provable that things are much better than previously in that regard: no eq/bal bonuses (or more importantly, maluses) to make certain races a must-have (or must-never-have) for certain classes.

In that light, the Wyrdenwood/Wildewood set ups go against that paradigm in the sense that it is mechanically impossible to even choose a "disadvantageous" race (not that there is any egregiously disadvantageous race now) - as a user of that skillset, you are locked into that race, period, end of story.

Whether or not this should change... well, you can argue that the answer is yes from the racial overhaul POV - that's the point of the overhaul, so people can choose the race they want to RP as without being stuck in one race because of their class choices. But even then, it should be noted that the admin intended any users of the skillset to be locked to this race not because of mechanical reasons, but because of RP reasons - that much is obvious. That is one reason why, when the racial overhaul was first revealed to public comment, I had misgivings about the Wood races' demi/demi+ power being too unreasonably strong as an advantage (none of the city chem specs will ever have access to that, no matter how hard they try, and it's no small amount), but at the same time, unequal as that may be, the locked race mechanic sort of justified it.

To end off, it should also be noted that while the woods have no access to other races - no other class has access to the Wood races. Not that anyone wants to have their racial perks - but no one has the ability to even RP as a wood race - it's not included as a racehat option either. That might not be the absolute best argument against allowing wood races to change their race (it's peripheral, at best), but it does give insight to how the admin saw this implementation. Racially, these woods are a special snowflake case, and I don't think they'll be willing to rethink or reconsider the RP ramifications behind ret-conning the RP reasoning of Woods being locked into these races (or vice versa, other classes being locked out of it).

• MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    It's strange to me to want to have Wildewood and Wyrdenwood tied up in RP like that, but then have demi and demi+ perks that will only ever apply to PK, ever. Obviously there's RP to be had in the act of PK, but it seems to be a disconnect. Almost like a punishment for people that don't use -wood on the battlefield.

• edited June 2017
    This comment may have come off as more hostile than was intended.
  • New command

PROMO

see this month's promo without digging through news 
  • Yasei said:
    New command

PROMO

see this month's promo without digging through news 
    HELP MONTHLYPROMOTION
    Forum Avatar drawn by our lovely Isune.
  • edited June 2017
    Enyalida said:
    Or just give -woods a skill that works like masquerade. Temporarily shift back to your regular form, can't use (most?) -wood spec skills until you turn it off. 

That way you can use your racial perks for whatever else you want to do? I guess I don't get why you would be so desperate for the racial perks of another race, instead of ones that can ostensibly be tailored to work utterly perfectly with your primary skill, as a natural extension of them. 
    Because I influence a lot and there are races that are much better suited for that purpose. The -wood race being tied into their primary skillset is nice, but usless when you don't use that skillset.

And also I do like having the apperance of a tree. I also do like the skills. It's just bugging me that the -wood race is not beneficial to what I usually do most (-> influence) and also I cannot change it with the cameo (which is what the cameo would be there for).

My idea was therefor to allow the cameo to work in this case, but not truly changing the race. Instead only racials get changed and at most (!) your desc changes to ".. is a -wood resembling a <race>".

Or alternatively, what was suggested here that -woods gain a skill to temporarily return to their fleshy form and in exchange cannot use the -wood skillset for that time. That too would help imo.

It's an idea and I posted it here because I think it would benefit the -woods (and because it bugs me, yes). (Though this skill to allow them to temp. change to a flesh race, might be something that could be envoyed).

PS: And I'm sorry this became such a huge discussion. I thought I had explained it, but I guess not. Let's just let it stand as an idea, however likely it is that it happen. ;)

• PS: And I'm sorry this became such a huge discussion. I thought I had explained it, but I guess not. Let's just let it stand as an idea, however likely it is that it happen. ;)
    Forums lesson #327: There's nothing so simple it can't be misunderstood.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Or argued about until the heat death of the universe.
  • Aesyra said:
    Enyalida said:

Because I influence a lot and there are races that are much better suited for that purpose. The -wood race being tied into their primary skillset is nice, but usless when you don't use that skillset.

And also I do like having the apperance of a tree. I also do like the skills. It's just bugging me that the -wood race is not beneficial to what I usually do most (-> influence) and also I cannot change it with the cameo (which is what the cameo would be there for).

My idea was therefor to allow the cameo to work in this case, but not truly changing the race. Instead only racials get changed and at most (!) your desc changes to ".. is a -wood resembling a <race>".

Or alternatively, what was suggested here that -woods gain a skill to temporarily return to their fleshy form and in exchange cannot use the -wood skillset for that time. That too would help imo.

It's an idea and I posted it here because I think it would benefit the -woods (and because it bugs me, yes). (Though this skill to allow them to temp. change to a flesh race, might be something that could be envoyed).

PS: And I'm sorry this became such a huge discussion. I thought I had explained it, but I guess not. Let's just let it stand as an idea, however likely it is that it happen. ;)

I like the idea of making the cameo just give you the racials of the race you want without actually changing your race.

If its influence stuff you want the wonderpipe can do that role right now though just for your own usage.
    Yeah man, just get a 20 crystal wonderpipe. Not a huge deal at all.

• edited June 2017
    Maligorn said:
    Yeah man, just get a 20 crystal wonderpipe. Not a huge deal at all.

Compared to a 1000/2000 credit artifact?
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Well, note that you can get cameos with goop now.

But from my standpoint, I would far prefer a wonderpipe to a cameo (as evidenced by the fact that I actually invested in wondercrystals to make a pipe, and didn't even bother with a cameo until a month or two ago when I broke 20,000 goop and picked one up... still haven't ever used the thing).
  • Large scale raids, but when people are around.
  • Pipework Kits

Like Sorcelglass, but for pipes. With the overhaul reducing the need for pipes down to one, and that one being made permanent with (or outright replaced by!) a very cheap artifact, the everyday artisan's wide selection of pipe offerings is reduced in utility. So let artisans make a single use item that lets the user impose a given pipe design onto an existing pipe. It wouldn't extend out the decay time, so using it on wooden pipes is silly, but doable. Also can be used on goop pipes (with the caveat that you lose the skin) or runed pipes, so your permanent pipe can be the stuff of artisans' dreams.

CONSTRUCT PIPEWORKS <12345> - builds a pipework kit in the pipe pattern chosen. Kits can be sold in stores, and have the same restriction as sorcelglass, ie you need the materials for the pattern to apply it (not to make the kit).

PIPEWORK <pipe> WITH <kit> - Applies the pattern to the selected pipe, changing appearance and nothing else.
    The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!
  • Sorcelglass already exist for pipes don't they?
    I don't think so. There's the ugly cheap Arts pipes, then Artisans can make pretty, longlasting pipes.

• Cant you just design pipes like most other things?
  • well, the point is not to design pipes, which can already be done. The point is you can take a pipe you already have and have made permanent, and reskin it using existing artisan pipe design, without having to either sacrifice your rune for buyback, buy a more expensive set of pliers to move your rune, or pay customization fees. This wouldn't be a new DESIGN category, just a new way to package Pipe designs to be used like a sorcelglass.

• Ah I get you now. That makes sense.
  • Can we remove cures that are no longer being used from being pulled out of stockings?
  • In no way probably a simple idea for implementation. But could projects have an optional rank/position requirement?

It'd be soo handy to be able to just create projects limit their visibility to certain positions, particularly for planning and the like. 

I just want to see how far we can get without an guild admin clan >_>
  • Saran said:
    In no way probably a simple idea for implementation. But could projects have an optional rank/position requirement?

It'd be soo handy to be able to just create projects limit their visibility to certain positions, particularly for planning and the like. 

Not a bad idea. I'm busy for the next few weeks on existing projects, but I'll honestly see about this when I can. In fact, I honestly just may work on the planned orghelp update with visibility permissions and categorisation built in, which would negate the need for it.
    Forum Avatar drawn by our lovely Isune.
  • Tirah said:
    Ianir said:
    Saran said:
    In no way probably a simple idea for implementation. But could projects have an optional rank/position requirement?

Not a bad idea. I'm busy for the next few weeks on existing projects, but I'll honestly see about this when I can. In fact, I honestly just may work on the planned orghelp update with visibility permissions and categorisation built in, which would negate the need for it.
    Would you also consider the ability to have more than one painting in a room? I would like to make some sort of art gallery without the need of having one room per painting.
    This! Multiple heads can be displayed in a room(see that really long post in Quotes I made yesterday), why not paintings, too?
  • I know it's been mentioned before, but can "celerity" be added to BODYSCAN AGILITY FULL? I know I can figure out what the total value is through speed walking, but one of the nice parts of the FULL part of the BODYSCAN command is telling you what things are contributing to celerity and by how much each.