Artifact Ideas

Comments

• Sure. The only problem with the former, at least, is that sometimes people are purchasing credits from the website specifically for an artifact - so it becomes much more cumbersome, I imagine, to not only do the credit refund but then also the cash refund. 
  • edited August 2017
    Aeldra said:
    Chirbi said:
    A Runed Lobster Trap
     - Speeds up the decay time of all items within the trap up to 500% by submerging them directly into the currents of the aethers.
     - PUT <item> IN LOBSTERTRAP
     - LOWER LOBSTERTRAP up to 5 depths, each depth speeding up the decay of the items within 100%.
     - RAISE LOBSTERTRAP up to 5 depths, the last RAISE LOBSTERTRAP allows the user to retrieve their items.
     - GET <item> FROM LOBSTERTRAP
     - When any item reaches 1 month of decay time, the trap is automatically sprung and raises itself up.

General design idea: Plain in shape and function, a runed lobster trap appears unremarkable until closer inspection. Made entirely of platinum, aetheric detritus obscures the exquisite craftsmanship.

I don't think anyone would buy it if it cost more than 100db or something similar to that, but it'd be useful for making tawdry clothing!
    Though for 100db you could technically get a scarecrow hat, which solves the tawdry problem for you.

Not against the idea, just pointing out :)
    Personally, I'd want this for selling tawdry items in my shop. The reason shops don't normally sell them is they take foreverrrr to go tawdry and you have to constantly be keeping an eye on them so they don't fully decay on you after you've spent all that time and money wearing them down. It's kind of a pain.
  • Okay, one of my quirkier ideas, but I'll try it anyway:

Persona Projection Contrivance (1000 dingbats)

A miniature doll linked to your aetheric signature, and powered by powerstones (maybe you can stick up to two powerstones into it?). The doll is blank and lifeless until you both bind to it and give it a persona, at which point you can command it to SAY and EMOTE across vast and interplanar distances. Further, you will hear anything said directly to the doll, or anything said in the doll's presence by another doll. Dolls do not automatically reset to the owner's inventory, but can be RECALLed at any time. Nuisance or ugly dolls can be dealt with in any normal fashion (e.g., picked up by anyone, thrown into Nexii), but probing the doll does not reveal the identity of its owner.

Syntax
    PERSONA <#> IMBUE - Gateway command to customizing. You can "title"* the doll, change its appearance, and set a short description of its voice, what it feels like (e.g., 'hard', 'plush'), what it smells like, whatever.
    PERSONA <#> SAY <message> (costs 10% power)
    PERSONA <#> EMOTE <emote> (costs 20% power)
    PERSONA <#> PROCLAIM (let's the doll shout/yell one pre-approved message; costs 50% power)
    PERSONA <#> LISTEN (listens in the room; costs 5% power per minute)
    PERSONAL <#> LOOK (LOOKS at the room; costs 2% power)
    PERSONA <#> HIDE (toggle: un/hides the doll; costs 2% power per minute)
    PERSONA <#> TRAVEL (teleport to doll's location; requires 100% power in the doll, and fully depletes all power)
    PERSONA <#> RECALL
    PERSONA SENSE (tells you where your dolls are, their current power, and if they are hidden)

*Dolls should bear a title, not a name (e.g., "Winter's Promise", "Final Freedom", "Infinite Cliche")
  • edited August 2017
    @Aeldra absolutely true! IMO the hat is priced fairly too.

The only real advantage would be the ability to actually market tawdry clothes. It's difficult because it takes more commitment to a long term goal than I often even demonstrate in RL. We're talking literal months for a very small payout compared to time invested.
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    Chirbi said:
    @Aeldra absolutely true! IMO the hat is priced fairly too.

The only real advantage would be the ability to actually market tawdry clothes. It's difficult because it takes more commitment to a long term goal than I often even demonstrate in RL. We're talking literal months for a very small payout compared to time invested.
    yeah, Kerith mentioned that and it's an actual fair point I think!
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • Customizable masks: much like the curio masks or order stoles, but the appearance can be customized. 
  • Foehn said:
    Customizable masks: much like the curio masks or order stoles, but the appearance can be customized. 
    10/10 would tap dat plastic
  • More delivery things ala the dirigible and zeppelin for 100db

I'm a consent-based roleplayer! Kindly ask first, and I will return the favour. Open to developing tinyplots.
    Atlantis is my client of choice! (Guide)
  • Veyils said:
    Worm of understanding.  You insert the worm into your ear and you automatically learn a new language of your choice without needing bookbinding.
    YOu may only have up to 2 worms active at a time, except for Viscanti, due to a lack of more ears.
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• @orventa is a goop skin not what you're after? Rumour has it in some circumstances we might get custom 1st/2nd/3rd person lines. Maybe you could design a skin and ask? I think this would be a popular one. I'd throw in a little goop! 

Sorry I missed @kerith explaining the same thing as me. She's just so fast! :]
  • @Chirbi

Skins wouldn't affect things like the spoken commands for it to 'Dock' and such though. I was just thinking something not ship related, with different commands would be interesting. 

I'm a consent-based roleplayer! Kindly ask first, and I will return the favour. Open to developing tinyplots.
    Atlantis is my client of choice! (Guide)
  • Chirbi said:
    @orventa is a goop skin not what you're after? Rumour has it in some circumstances we might get custom 1st/2nd/3rd person lines. Maybe you could design a skin and ask? I think this would be a popular one. I'd throw in a little goop! 

Sorry I missed @kerith explaining the same thing as me. She's just so fast! :]
    No worries! :grin:
  • Not sure this will be very well received but... might as well toss the idea out there...

Aethership FCS Diamonut (attaches to command chair)
     - Allows basic remote operation of turrets and empath grid, from the command chair
     - 50% reduced damage in PvE; Fink racial bonuses ignored
     - 80% reduced damage in PvP (Or simply have targeting other aetherships disabled)
     - Grid balance is twice as long and shared with the command chair; Gnome racial bonuses ignored
     - Only basic module commands can be used (e.g. no marmuckle, no marwurble, no grid flush, etc. Basic targetting/shooting and repairs only)

The reason I suggest this is... even full crews for aetherhunts, when you can get them, tend not to stay together that long. A crewed ship for exploration is just a bit unrealistic, even if you did it most everyone would be sitting idle most of the time.

So... something to enable solo (or duo, etc) exploration, but still allowing for nominally fighting off aether mobs and such. Module effectiveness reduced so people don't start soloing vortexes and stuff (or if they do, so it's vastly less efficient than having a crew.)
    beep
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited August 2017
    Yehn said:
    Not sure this will be very well received but... might as well toss the idea out there...

- Allows basic remote operation of turrets and empath grid, from the command chair
     - 80% reduced damage in PvP (Or simply have targeting other aetherships disabled)
     - Grid balance is twice as long and shared with the command chair; Gnome racial bonuses ignored
     - Only basic module commands can be used (e.g. no marmuckle, no marwurble, no grid flush, etc. Basic targetting/shooting and repairs only)

The reason I suggest this is... even full crews for aetherhunts, when you can get them, tend not to stay together that long. A crewed ship for exploration is just a bit unrealistic, even if you did it most everyone would be sitting idle most of the time.

So... something to enable solo (or duo, etc) exploration, but still allowing for nominally fighting off aether mobs and such. Module effectiveness reduced so people don't start soloing vortexes and stuff (or if they do, so it's vastly less efficient than having a crew.)
    EDIT: A ship that only does 50% damage would likely not last long, especially against a black dragon, largely due to the ship probably being fairly small.  I'd say if something like that was made, perhaps it should specifically just give access to the empath grid (not the turrets or siphons) and possibly increase maneuverability.
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    Possibly as an auction artifact:

Custom doll:  Subject to admin approval, the buyer/winning bidder can have this doll designed in the likeness of an individual that has existed in the basin of life up to the immediate point in time (so if someone wanted a doll of Hajamin/Ashtariel/Xynthin/a denizen of their choice that does not already have an existing doll, it would be fair game) along with 5 reactions or lines that will happen when the holder activates it with a chosen EMOTE (Possibly having it set so that certain responses will only trigger if another doll is in the holder's inventory, for example Raziela/Ashtorath, Eventru/Lyreth, etc). If the divinity is still ACTIVE within the basin, They must give approval on top of separate admin approval.
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • Kagato said:
    Yehn said:
    Not sure this will be very well received but... might as well toss the idea out there...

EDIT: A ship that only does 50% damage would likely not last long, especially against a black dragon, largely due to the ship probably being fairly small.  I'd say if something like that was made, perhaps it should specifically just give access to the empath grid (not the turrets or siphons) and possibly increase maneuverability.
    It's not really meant for killing dragons. Just all the stuff the aggros and chases you through the aetherways... (Yes you can run, but I think it would be neat to be able to fight them too)
    beep
  • @Yehn I think using an energy collector for basic siphon remotely would be super useful. Having someone sit on collector during hunts can feel like a punishment. That's the only module I think wouldn't be potentially OP to access remotely. 

I would think no pvp use at all. During flares, there's often solo flying ships with just one person on bombard, and you can still use your turret module for other things at that time. If your remote can't bombard (which I think would be OP) and you are a 1 person crew, you wouldn't waste your time on a command module. 

While this might be a boon to small ships,  ships with 75k+ hull could be terribly overpowered. Even doing half damage, it wouldn't be that hard to solo a black dragon with a big enough ship camped out on a vortex. And if you had an anchor too? 

If it remotely operates the grid, I agree only basic healing is appropriate. 

Extra awp usage might be another good way to offset this. If it was really draining, long hunts on big ships wouldn't be feasible but small skirmishes for small ships might be.
  • Alternatively, double or triple the likelihood of drawing out a Karidibean from a vortex when remote operations are used and nobody would use it for vortexes. This would also be evil and funny.
  • Chirbi said:
    While this might be a boon to small ships,  ships with 75k+ hull could be terribly overpowered. Even doing half damage, it wouldn't be that hard to solo a black dragon with a big enough ship camped out on a vortex. And if you had an anchor too? 

That's where half damage and no fink bonuses (namely no damage shifting) comes into play... while it might be possible, it would be very much less efficient than having actual people on your turrets. Since those in it for hunting want their essence/exp efficiently, I think no damage shift + reduced base damage would be pretty discouraging...

As a side note this is also why I suggest that such a thing should have chair/grid balanced shared. Not much healing is really needed so simply reducing throughput is, I think, not very much to discourage it. But not being able to maneuver while repairing pushes it towards an out of combat thing (slows down your essence/exp gains if you're trying to hunt) and also encourages having a person where possible (some hunters on mega hull ships can run without a dedicated empath as is)...

I don't really have any opinion on ECs, though
    beep
  • edited August 2017
    I think it's good to try and balance fink/gnome bonuses, but I don't think balancing those counts as balancing this artifact in general. The racial bonuses just aren't that crucial of a piece to this IMO. I see lots of changelings not even bother with gnome/fink during hunting and flares. edit2add: Also dang, fink/gnome are such expensive racial bonuses to get. I can't imagine shelling out the credits for those anytime soon, so I wouldn't want to limit them and folks desire to buy them when most people don't even want to invest in trans aethercraft.

Like I said earlier, half damage isn't enough malus because I could still solo. Sure it would suck but it's still viable. I agree sharing module balance is crucial. Honestly if it weren't for module damage, I don't think a black dragon could destroy/disable a ship with 100k hull even if you just sat there. I haven't tested this, but the health tick on a huge ship is pretty impressive. And black dragons aren't the only consideration, half damage against a hydrian would still mean killing it in under a minute which would mean I can siphon again. It'd make mining power really easy in safer places. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing- it might be nice to have non-quest ways of bringing in power to a nexus. 

What if the remote could only be tuned to one other module at a time and retuning it had a long balance? That way you can fill in whatever role is missing in your crew, but not do everything at once. I really like the idea, just lots of considerations! I'd be excited for new diamounts.
  • Chirbi said:
    I think it's good to try and balance fink/gnome bonuses, but I don't think balancing those counts as balancing this artifact in general. The racial bonuses just aren't that crucial of a piece to this IMO. 
    I... I don't think you've seen what fink gunners can do for aether hunts... Damage shift (along will all the crit bonuses) means you can do 2.7m ess/hr easy, sometimes going north of 3 million. You can get streaks of dragons chain-dying in one hit. That's with 1 fink gunner (and a reasonably cautious pilot), 3 would be... absolutely ridiculous...

But yes, that is another topic...

Like I said earlier, half damage isn't enough malus because I could still solo. Sure it would suck but it's still viable.

Once again... the point isn't to stop soloing. Really the point is to enable soloing... just much less efficiently. Smaller ships probably won't be able to take dragons. Big ones will, but it will be very much slower than group efforts...

Just filling in one missing slot wouldn't really interest me personally, then the artifact wouldn't be enabling exploration (ie doesn't fulfill mission goal), instead enabling hunts with smaller crews... But... if there's interest, it does make sense to do from the devs' standpoint

and of course, all numbers could be tuned as the devs see fit...

it might be nice to have non-quest ways of bringing in power to a nexus. 

As a guardian I can go to astral and bring in 1000 power to my nexus in a weave without that much effort. 1500 if I really push myself...
    I wouldn't really be that worried about it personally. But I also didn't include remote siphoning because, at least in my mind, that wasn't the point of the proposed arti... In the end I guess it's something I would just leave the devs to decide, I don't really care one way or another...
    beep
  • You can kind of spam siphoning to fill up your collectors solo already. Much easier with two people and a fast ship though.
  • Veyils said:
    You can kind of spam siphoning to fill up your collectors solo already. Much easier with two people and a fast ship though.
    Out of curiosity, how does that work? Just... shields up, go to a place that doesn't spawn strong mobs, and siphon away until the shield breaks?
    beep
  • It's more you kill them with ruptures and fancy flying (flying round in circles not getting hit)
  • edited August 2017
    Veyils said:
    It's more you kill them with ruptures and fancy flying (flying round in circles not getting hit)
    I may need you to teach me that one sometime :)

I think the diamonut sounds like a good idea!
    I agree with the shared equilibrium.
    I sort of really want one even if it just let's you do basic commands it would make my random exploring flights easier.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    A bottle of fink pheromones - 100 credits.

FINKBOTTLE (BLAH), which must be an herb that is used up. - Gives you an ambiance of your own in the form of a smell based on the herb you used. For reference, it would work roughly like the hookah dingbat item. Lasts one month per herb used, possibly allowing two herbs to combine for special results? Reacts with curios, and won't activate if you're using a curio ambiance. Fires once or twice an hour

Or possibly the same item allows you to set your smell (wood smoke, rotting corpses, unicorn farts) with a syntax instead. May require divine oversight or a price to re-tune the smell.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • I'm not sure if this exists already but a remote shop log, rift and wares viewer. For your own shop.

So you can manage and check multi-stores wares in one go/room without having to bounce back and fowards.
  • Veyils said:
    I'm not sure if this exists already but a remote shop log, rift and wares viewer. For your own shop.

So you can manage and check multi-stores wares in one go/room without having to bounce back and fowards.
    There is a Shopkeeper's Ledger  (100 dingbats) sold by Tink McFierce. You can read about it in HELP AETHERSUITS. It's not been added to the ArtiShop yet, but it's on the list. I've not checked if you can still buy from Tink for now. But this one we did make!
  • Veyils said:
    Artifact music box. Perma musicbox that lets you pick ego/health/mana anti regen, only one at a time. Its up permanatly saves having to crank it. Cranking it to switch anti regen type using balance.

Artifact truetime enchantment, perma truetime enchantment no rubbing required.

I still think this is a good idea. We could even have cool skins for them.
    Her storm-coloured eyes a muted blue, Lisaera, the Silver Goddess says, "Only sorrow can come from a rotting thought, My child, just like roots that have been drowned. You are a paragon of the wisdom I would see spread throughout the Serenwilde, but even the strongest minds must find release."
    -
    A shimmering liquid appears in your inventory smelling sweetly of something carbonated. It vanishes in a puff of silver smoke seconds later.
    -
    I write things