Simple Ideas

Comments

• Is someone goes inactive it just makes contesting easier, no one in good conscious would vote for an inactive player. It really sounds like a temporary problem to me, that can be solved by encouraging novices to contest. Contesting costs gold I would assume so a city or commune could subsidize all or part of the fee involved to make it easier. Like this just sounds like an opportunity and not a problem.
  • Allixea said:
    Is someone goes inactive it just makes contesting easier, no one in good conscious would vote for an inactive player. It really sounds like a temporary problem to me, that can be solved by encouraging novices to contest. Contesting costs gold I would assume so a city or commune could subsidize all or part of the fee involved to make it easier. Like this just sounds like an opportunity and not a problem.
    You assume an org has enough active people to do this. When a TM has been dormant for RL months and you ask around and nobody is interested in or willing to contest... it is a problem.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited August 2017
    Allixea said:
    Is someone goes inactive it just makes contesting easier, no one in good conscious would vote for an inactive player. It really sounds like a temporary problem to me, that can be solved by encouraging novices to contest. Contesting costs gold I would assume so a city or commune could subsidize all or part of the fee involved to make it easier. Like this just sounds like an opportunity and not a problem.
    It is a problem when one is trying to organse a major, org-wide event where design contests are going to be one of the key events, but will be unable to submit the designs through one or more of the ORGANISATION cartels because they do not have an active trademaster.   Putting designs that were intended for a city/commune competition into a private cartel is counter-productive, since it subsequently requires anyone who wishes access to the design later to be inducted into the cartel, whereas otherwise it can be immediately accessed by city/commune members that take up the skill without the design needing to be made public to the entire basin.

The other option, which I am guessing would not be mechanically viable, would be to allow the Culture Minister the ability to submit designs to all their respective city/commune cartels.  (perhaps it could be coded so that the culture minister becomes the 'owner' of the cartels when elected, while the trademaster remains a contestable position, allowing both individuals the ability to submit designs)
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • Kagato said:
    It is a problem when one is trying to organse a major, org-wide event where design contests are going to be one of the key events, but will be unable to submit the designs through one or more of the ORGANISATION cartels because they do not have an active trademaster.   Putting designs that were intended for a city/commune competition into a private cartel is counter-productive, since it subsequently requires anyone who wishes access to the design later to be inducted into the cartel, whereas otherwise it can be immediately accessed by city/commune members that take up the skill without the design needing to be made public to the entire basin.

The other option, which I am guessing would not be mechanically viable, would be to allow the Culture Minister the ability to submit designs to all their respective city/commune cartels.  (perhaps it could be coded so that the culture minister becomes the 'owner' of the cartels when elected, while the trademaster remains a contestable position, allowing both individuals the ability to submit designs)
    That has no relevance to my suggestion... go encourage novices to take on new roles? Good luck I suppose, cause it looks like your event is in a couple days and Estarra and Ianir will be sparse for a while. might have been something to address sooner

And your second paragraph contains what I have to agree is a valid idea outside of encouraging novices to take rolls to stop older players from controlling the entire org and forcing out newer opinions, the minister of culture should absolutely be allowed to submit designs in the event that a trade master has gone innactive.
  • While I can agree it would be nice for 'novices' and 'new people' to take on roles... there is a lot that new people and novices have to learn before they should really worry about trades, let alone being a trademaster. That's a whole different kettle of fish right there. Let them enjoy newbiehood and learning new stuff - fair enough if they're actively looking to get into trades and such, more for them if they can into the actual trademaster role. But I think you're looking at this the entire wrong way.

There's a problem when there is someone trying to actively submit designs to an ORG cartel, and can't because then they need to spend 10k to contest, which lasts several days for an election + several days for a submit and acceptance of said design (IF it doesn't get rejected + 5k for the actual submitting of the org-cartel design. It's time consuming. And if by now after a RL month of no one else contesting, I doubt the 'new players' and 'novices' are going to contest either.

I'm all for being a trademaster of no more than 2 org-cartels or the ability for the Culture-minister to be able to submit to all org cartels, that would be excellent, and might give another option for design competitions. Of course, that would also require that there be an active Minister of Culture - which, oh look! Is a role a novice/new-player can apply for ;)
  • edited August 2017
    Crazy Idea: What if we get rid of org level Trademasters, and allow for each person who is a member of that cartel to submit 3-4 org and public designs per IG year. Trademasters for private cartels can still exist.

Would it flood Charites more? Maybe. Make Beauty easier? (Maybe set up a Beauty flag that doesn't count against your slot limit) Dunno.

I'm a consent-based roleplayer! Kindly ask first, and I will return the favour. Open to developing tinyplots.
    Atlantis is my client of choice! (Guide)
    Novices are mechanically unable to contest.  Trademaster is considered a political position, so it requires a minimum of 150 hours of play logged before one can contest.

• Orventa said:
    Crazy Idea: What if we get rid of org level Trademasters, and allow for each person who is a member of that cartel to submit 3-4 org and public designs per IG year. Trademasters for private cartels can still exist.

Would it flood Charites more? Maybe. Make Beauty easier? (Maybe set up a Beauty flag that doesn't count against your slot limit) Dunno.
    Seems simpler to just let the CL appoint trademasters to commune cartels and just ignore the trade requirements.
    edited August 2017
    Can it please be made that the kittens/puppies/hamsters/parakeets/sealions that come from poteens despawn/die after an arbitrary timeframe (1 IRL hour maybe?)  

That or can it please be made so that peacing only applies to other adventurers, not to denizens.  Just walked into the aetherplex and saw this: " There are 30 hamsters in a cage-wheel here. There are 24 blubbery sea lion pups here. There are 26 frisky puppies here. There are 26 curious young kittens here. There are 20 green parakeets here."  That is 125 denizen instances packed into one location that can not be killed/removed.

• Kagato said:
    Can it please be made that the kittens/puppies/hamsters/parakeets/sealions that come from poteens despawn/die after an arbitrary timeframe (1 IRL hour maybe?)  

That or can it please be made so that peacing only applies to other adventurers, not to denizens.  Just walked into the aetherplex and saw this: " There are 30 hamsters in a cage-wheel here. There are 24 blubbery sea lion pups here. There are 26 frisky puppies here. There are 26 curious young kittens here. There are 20 green parakeets here."  That is 125 denizen instances packed into one location that can not be killed/removed.
    I'm pretty sure they do actually die after 1 month (or I guess new RL day) or some long timer.

I would love to be able to just turn off the spawning along with shortening their life.
  • edited August 2017
    She is wearing a polished bone pendant, 8 wooden rings, some tawdry boots, a 
    gleaming purse of golden wyvern scales, a black leather hunting skirt, a 
    patchwork coat of drab hues, a pair of supple leather hunting gloves, the Golden 
    Belt of the Enlightened, a golden hoop inlaid with garnet through her left ear, a 
    golden hoop inlaid with garnet through her left ear, a golden hoop inlaid with 
    garnet through her left ear, a golden hoop inlaid with garnet through her left 
    ear, a golden hoop inlaid with garnet through her left ear, a golden hoop inlaid 
    with garnet through her right ear, a golden hoop inlaid with garnet through her 
    right ear, a golden hoop inlaid with garnet through her right ear, a golden hoop 
    inlaid with garnet through her right ear and a golden hoop inlaid with garnet 
    through her right ear.

It would be nice if piercing jewelery also grouped in descriptions when the item types and locations are the same! Maybe as part of the eventual glam rock/description update? 

ps I am a TM already but would be fine if I were a backup TM as culture minister too. I think a lot of ministers are designers/TMs as well so it seems like a fine group to ask. 
  • Poteen pets die/go away after one IRL day.
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• Naw @Tylwyth , join my Poteenvasion of the Aetherplex!  Together we will conquer the soulless by filling them with cuddly wuddlies.
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
  • Huh, I'd lose the moth @Scanlan would give me after an IRL day or so...
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• Kagato said:
    I've put this forth to the Celest Envoys, but am looking for a little extra feedback.

Skillset: Jewelery
    Skill: Repair

Problem:  The cost to repair jewelery is severely disproportionate to the cost of purchasing at present.  A ring that may cost 250 gold to purchase costs some 5,000 gold to repair, thus it is pointless to repair it and instead simply purchase a new ring.  This report seeks to update the ability to repair to make it a more viable skill outside of keeping a piece of jewelery for sentimental value.

Option 1: Reduce the cost of repairing substantially.
    Option 2: Rework REPAIR to mimic the MAINTAIN ability in Artisan so that a piece of jewelry requires commodities to repair rather than a monetary fee.
    Option 3: Amend the jeweler's hammer artifact so that when wielded, one can REPAIR with commodities rather than a gold outlay.

Thoughts?
    I had IDEA'd this change like a month ago. I suggested lowering the cost to be proportionate to the item, the way it is for mending in tailoring (mending a set of greatrobes costs more than mending a pouch, for example). I would imagine that figuring out which comms are needed, and how many, for each design would be a logistical nightmare, so I'm inclined to say it should still require gold (then again, I don't know how the artisan maintain ability works).
  • I think this would work with jewellery or artisan, so I'd suggest jewellery since artisan has so many item types already. Quills would be great RP flare. Even if it was non-functional I would use them. Maybe they could even add a flare to the lines announcing you writing at a desk! If they need function, it might be fun if they could be enchanted for focus during debating.
    edited September 2017
    Kerith said:
    I had IDEA'd this change like a month ago. I suggested lowering the cost to be proportionate to the item, the way it is for mending in tailoring (mending a set of greatrobes costs more than mending a pouch, for example). I would imagine that figuring out which comms are needed, and how many, for each design would be a logistical nightmare, so I'm inclined to say it should still require gold (then again, I don't know how the artisan maintain ability works).
    The MAINTAIN ability in artisan currently works off what commodities are used to make the item (so for example one of my order designs which uses pearl commodities, goldensand, seashells, lightessence and powerstone, depending on how far it is off decaying might require something like 5 pear, 1 sand, 1 seashell, 1 lightessence and 1 powerstone, increasing incrementally as it gets closer to decay.)  It is for this reason I suggested making it reflect MAINTAIN, that way a ring might require 1 goldbar and 5 ruby for example if it mainly was made with gold and ruby commodities.

• Kagato said:
    Kerith said:
    The MAINTAIN ability in artisan currently works off what commodities are used to make the item (so for example one of my order designs which uses pearl commodities, goldensand, seashells, lightessence and powerstone, depending on how far it is off decaying might require something like 5 pear, 1 sand, 1 seashell, 1 lightessence and 1 powerstone, increasing incrementally as it gets closer to decay.)  It is for this reason I suggested making it reflect MAINTAIN, that way a ring might require 1 goldbar and 5 ruby for example if it mainly was made with gold and ruby commodities.
    Okay, that's what I was imagining. I guess that might work for something like furniture which uses a lot of comms total. But for tailoring, there are a lot of designs that have smaller amounts of the non-basic comms. For example, something might call for 8 cloth, 1 bluetint, and 1 faeleaf. What would the repair be like for something so small? How do you do anything smaller than 1? IIRC, rings require six comms, and they're the most common jewellery item, so I can see this situation applying to them. Unless it simply drew from the basic comms (which make up at least 75% of all designs these days), then I think flat-out gold costs would make more sense for smaller items.
  • The current weather system has Balach/Bondero Bay/Acknor in between two ocean zones and thus constantly filled with thunderstorms. Which is logical! What is not logical: The entire area constantly being on fire due to the aforementioned thunderstorms. Could the system be tweaked to make lightning fires less likely in damp environments? It's a swamp. It shouldn't be on fire.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Moi said:
    The current weather system has Balach/Bondero Bay/Acknor in between two ocean zones and thus constantly filled with thunderstorms. Which is logical! What is not logical: The entire area constantly being on fire due to the aforementioned thunderstorms. Could the system be tweaked to make lightning fires less likely in damp environments? It's a swamp. It shouldn't be on fire.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=swamp+on+fire&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjYiITs6ZDWAhVIwlQKHeFYAucQ_AUICigB&biw=1365&bih=699#imgrc=F2vOM6v-w3-w2M:

Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Would it be possible to set 1 Glamrock slot as a permanent outfit - the other 9 still having the timer on. It'd be nice to have one go-to outfit that I wouldn't need to re-record (because I do use all 10 slots), while also still wearing the artifacts underneath!
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    There is an entire clothing overhaul Coming Soon(tm) that changes how all these things (including glamrock) work.
  • Xenthos said:
    There is an entire clothing overhaul Coming Soon(tm) that changes how all these things (including glamrock) work.
    Ohho. I see! I will wait patiently then :D 
  • @Ianir not sure if this exists or how simple it would actually be, but for members of Divine Orders, a TELEPORT FULCRUX command that drops you outside your Divine's prime fulcrux portal
    edited September 2017
    Arix said:
    @Ianir not sure if this exists or how simple it would actually be, but for members of Divine Orders, a TELEPORT FULCRUX command that drops you outside your Divine's prime fulcrux portal
    Guessing you mean teleporting to their master shrine in Avechna's Peak - there is already a divine idol artifact that offers TELEPORT MASTERSHRINE - if they did something like that, everyone who has an idol (myself included) would want refunds since it is definitely not worth 150 dingbats to appear inside the portal instead of outside.

• Shaddus said:
    Moi said:
    The current weather system has Balach/Bondero Bay/Acknor in between two ocean zones and thus constantly filled with thunderstorms. Which is logical! What is not logical: The entire area constantly being on fire due to the aforementioned thunderstorms. Could the system be tweaked to make lightning fires less likely in damp environments? It's a swamp. It shouldn't be on fire.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=swamp+on+fire&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjYiITs6ZDWAhVIwlQKHeFYAucQ_AUICigB&biw=1365&bih=699#imgrc=F2vOM6v-w3-w2M:

The system actually does account for rainstorms making fires less likely in that rain puts out fires. This was not always the case!
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Kagato said:
    Arix said:
    @Ianir not sure if this exists or how simple it would actually be, but for members of Divine Orders, a TELEPORT FULCRUX command that drops you outside your Divine's prime fulcrux portal
    Guessing you mean teleporting to their master shrine in Avechna's Peak - there is already a divine idol artifact that offers TELEPORT MASTERSHRINE - if they did something like that, everyone who has an idol (myself included) would want refunds since it is definitely not worth 150 dingbats to appear inside the portal instead of outside.

When the artifact first came out, it teleported you from almost anywhere; on a monolith, from inside a manse, on an aetherbubble, wherever you were, you could teleport to your mastershrine. It was ninja-changed to be only on prime and off monolith not long after, and no explanation was made as to why. I personally don't think it's worth 150 dingbats, but I tend to buy them for the custom appearance.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.