Mudlet consistently crashing after a few hours

This happens on versions 2.2 and 3.4... Very consistently, mudlet crashes after running for a few hours, but with certain symptoms leading up to it. First the screen just goes a blank black, but highlighting or moving the window or splitting/unsplitting the screen fixes it. Some time after that, the screen will just freeze in place with nothing new appearing. But if I split the screen by scrolling up a little, it works for a bit, buying me enough time to logout usually. Then shortly after that, it just completely freezes.

I've noticed it happens a lot faster if I'm astral hunting or doing other very spammy things.

Some have suggested it might be memory... but my pc has 16gb memory and it's never anywhere close to full, so I'm a bit skeptical that it's that...

Does anyone know what could cause this or how I might make mudlet more stable?
beep

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I don't know Mudlet in particular, but I do have a little insight to offer on the memory front.

16gb of memory on your computer is great and all, but that doesn't mean that every program that's running has access to all that memory goodness.  32-bit programs especially have a very strict memory cap.  At work, when doing some things that required a huge amount of memory I had to switch to the 64-bit program to keep it from crashing.  Also, any number of games I've had to install "workarounds" to get past memory caps way below my computer's threshold.  So don't discount memory issues out-of-hand, what your computer has available is not necessarily what the program itself has to work with.
  • Well... but if that is the problem, how do I get around it..?
    beep
    Like I said, I don't know Mudlet at all.  I do not know if it defaults to 32-bit mode or if it now uses 64-bit from its base download (I did see a note via Google that someone at some point did build a 64-bit version).

Can you set your buffer size?  What is it set to now, if so, and what happens if you drastically reduce it?  I tend towards thinking in the buffer direction since you mention that doing things that spam a lot of text exacerbates the problem, but that is pretty much a shot in the dark.
  • The only time I have experienced a similar issue was when I would leave Mudlet open all the time and never stop/restart the automatic logging. So it would have an open log of days of fighting etc it was trying to keep active. If you have logging on and you don't shut down Mudlet completely, I would suggest either a) shutting it down more often, b) disabling logging, or c) manually turning on and off the log periodically. Might be worth a shot.
  • Xenthos said:
    Like I said, I don't know Mudlet at all.  I do not know if it defaults to 32-bit mode or if it now uses 64-bit from its base download (I did see a note via Google that someone at some point did build a 64-bit version).

Can you set your buffer size?  What is it set to now, if so, and what happens if you drastically reduce it?  I tend towards thinking in the buffer direction since you mention that doing things that spam a lot of text exacerbates the problem, but that is pretty much a shot in the dark.
    There doesn't seem to be a setting for this, at least that I can find... maybe someone that knows mudlet well will stop in...
    beep
  • Ejderha said:
    The only time I have experienced a similar issue was when I would leave Mudlet open all the time and never stop/restart the automatic logging. So it would have an open log of days of fighting etc it was trying to keep active. If you have logging on and you don't shut down Mudlet completely, I would suggest either a) shutting it down more often, b) disabling logging, or c) manually turning on and off the log periodically. Might be worth a shot.
    Oh... that could be it. Next time it starts acting funny I'll try cycling the log..
    beep
  • @Yehn my first thought is that this isn't the best forum for this question. The Mudlet forum is pretty helpful and will have more experts on the topic instead of just the Lusternia playerbase. You could also try the discord channel where I've had lots of luck :smile:

Do you have a tabbed chat or lots of miniconsoles in your GUI? When I've been logged in for ages and my chat consoles are really long, and I've been logging the entire time, I see some performance issues from time to time. It's nothing a quick restart doesn't solve for me, thankfully. I try not to run Mudlet like a 24/7 server and that works for me too. Mudlet crashing means an unsaved profile, so I try to close on my own terms.

Another question: Do you do lots of your own scripting? Are you familiar with things like using local variables or assigning your unused variables to nil so lua can do better garbage collecting?

Good luck finding a solution, sounds frustrating!
  • I'll see if I can find those if this doesn't work...

I use demonnic/yatco-23 tabbed chat. But, I also don't run mudlet that long (Well, right now I am to see if I can try Ejderha's idea). In a big astral hunt, the freeze can be less than 2 hours from having started mudlet.

I wouldn't really say 'lots'... although I do feel like I have a lot of scripts, but it's mostly other peoples' stuff. mmf, various windmills... demonnic as mentioned. I do have lots and lots of aliases. But I'm not familiar with that stuff.
    beep
  • Cycling the log won't stop the black screen issues once it starts. You will need to restart mudlet. It's cause mudlet has a memory leak either in itself or in the logging aspect and the only way mudlet releases that memory is to close it.

It usually happens to me after a few days, and I cycle my log every 5 hours.
  • Tenaka said:
    Cycling the log won't stop the black screen issues once it starts. You will need to restart mudlet. It's cause mudlet has a memory leak either in itself or in the logging aspect and the only way mudlet releases that memory is to close it.

...Just recently found out changing the log file doesn't help, yep...
    beep
  • Tenaka said:
    Cycling the log won't stop the black screen issues once it starts. You will need to restart mudlet. It's cause mudlet has a memory leak either in itself or in the logging aspect and the only way mudlet releases that memory is to close it.

Does this mean... there's no real solution except maybe hope for a bugfix someday..?
    beep
    If so I'd definitely report it; I am one of those people who leaves my client open for a month at a time (that because Windows wants to reboot monthly).  Having it hang on me would be a huge headache / disincentive.
  • Xenthos said:
    If so I'd definitely report it; I am one of those people who leaves my client open for a month at a time (that because Windows wants to reboot monthly).  Having it hang on me would be a huge headache / disincentive.
    TBH I wouldn't even mind it if it would just last a day. It's just having to stop in the middle of an ahunt or something, relog and redef and so on that's annoying...
    beep
  • Hi! Sorry to hear about the problem. I'd recommend taking this up on the Mudlet forums where Mudlets developers can assist you with it.