Tweets VII: Tweet Child of Mine

1387388389390391393»

Comments

• Versalean said:
    Well. I think we can all wish Tweets a fond farewell. There have been enough warnings that it isn't for rants, but it seems a couple of us are finding that difficult au revoir, old friend.
    ..then, this might be time for a pointed question/criticism directed at staff...

Why are the devs/mods locking or deleting things on a hair trigger?

Go to any other online game's forums and this one's "drama threads" are ridiculously tame. Controversial topics are controversial so of course things can get a little heated... but here, the temperature rises to even 'lukewarm' and it's lock/delete time... Making certain topics (i.e. the controversial ones) impossible to discuss on the official forums.

Posts that are in fact personal attacks can be edited/deleted, and the people that make them warned or eventually banned if they don't stop... but "everything must be completely sunshine and rainbows or it's gone" isn't very productive...
    beep
  • I think reviewing the policy of not having a rant thread about game stuff, while I understand why IRE does not want us to have one, would maybe help by giving people a designated place to vent their frustrations, while people who don't want to read that kinda stuff can easily avoid it.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Tirah said:
    I think reviewing the policy of not having a rant thread about game stuff, while I understand why IRE does not want us to have one, would maybe help by giving people a designated place to vent their frustrations, while people who don't want to read that kinda stuff can easily avoid it.
    It was called Lack of Rants and was removed a long time ago.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Yehn said:
    Versalean said:
    Well. I think we can all wish Tweets a fond farewell. There have been enough warnings that it isn't for rants, but it seems a couple of us are finding that difficult au revoir, old friend.
    ..then, this might be time for a pointed question/criticism directed at staff...

Go to any other online game's forums and this one's "drama threads" are ridiculously tame. Controversial topics are controversial so of course things can get a little heated... but here, the temperature rises to even 'lukewarm' and it's lock/delete time... Making certain topics (i.e. the controversial ones) impossible to discuss on the official forums.

Posts that are in fact personal attacks can be edited/deleted, and the people that make them warned or eventually banned if they don't stop... but "everything must be completely sunshine and rainbows or it's gone" isn't very productive...
    I'm not really sure how to address this considering that we tend to allow discussions to continue and in fact do address individual posts and warn those users. When it seems like the only thing coming from a discussion is attacks etc, then we close that thread. For instance, Tweets is still open, the combat log thread continued for several days before that was shut down etc. It certainly isn't a 'everything must be sunshine and rainbows' situation. Maybe once and awhile we'll be a little overzealous, but I think in general, we're pretty okay with allowing discussions to continue as long as they remain within the forum rules.
  • I said this in game, but I'll repeat it here. The crash tonight and the one two days ago are under investigation by Iron Realms. It seems the reload process which allows us to insert new code isn't actually finishing the rollover and is (strangely) cleanly shutting down the game when we attempt to load new code. It's not a consistent issue, but has been reproduced and hopefully will be fixed soon. Due to the clean shutdown, it's looking like there's no data loss involved, just defenses.
    Forum Avatar drawn by our lovely Isune.
  • For whatever it is worth; the game shut down when I was in mid combat.  Picked up again without any noticeable change, didn't even drop or lose a single corpse, just a few of the aforementioned defenses.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Kalikai said: 
    Yehn said:
    Versalean said:

I'm not really sure how to address this considering that we tend to allow discussions to continue and in fact do address individual posts and warn those users. When it seems like the only thing coming from a discussion is attacks etc, then we close that thread. For instance, Tweets is still open, the combat log thread continued for several days before that was shut down etc. It certainly isn't a 'everything must be sunshine and rainbows' situation. Maybe once and awhile we'll be a little overzealous, but I think in general, we're pretty okay with allowing discussions to continue as long as they remain within the forum rules.
    I mean, someone did quietly delete my partially tongue-in-cheek suggestion in the "Do we have too many orgs?" thread to delete Serenwilde as half their members moved to Hallifax. No message to me, no warning or context as to why it was unacceptable.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited September 2017
    Kalikai said:
    Yehn said:
    Versalean said:

Thanks for answering.

So... I think the best indication of what's kind of happening is the new combat log thread... where people are afraid to actually say much of anything at all, for fear it will be locked...

Particular to this thread... recent warning #2 was from someone calling someone else a griefer. I don't think anyone minds a namecalling post being deleted... but threatening to close this entire thread when plenty of discussion happens here, that feels a little too far to me...

Anyways. Be it quest mechanics or class balance or whatever else, people are going to have strong feelings (which on the plus means people care!), there might be some blunt criticisms and harsh arguments. Now and then that might cross the line into 'personal attack' area, or some other rule violation... and it feels like the policy could lean a little more towards addressing problematic individuals while allowing discussions to continue, even if it does get heated sometimes.

my $.02. Ok, back to the regularly scheduled cat duck gifs!

beep
  • Man. How are you people going to go ahead and get my thread closed. 
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    I personally have taken to not displaying my opinion on how lusternia's conflict works and how people work with each other on an ooc level on the forums. I've learned in the past two years that it's a waste of time, energy and nerves, sadly. A minority on both sides of the imaginary fence ( sad to have to mention that there even -is- a fence ) do whatever they want to do to "advance their org". I've always been advocate of doing these things with a minimalism of thought for others/your opponent behind your own actions, but I know that am a minority on that here, sadly and others will immediately jump to defense regardless of the validity of the argument made. Often I simply just shake my head and close forums again.

This community has a lot things that go well beyond the IC barrier and a lot of actions that I personally feel are questionable in a game that people play, ulitmately, with each other. Granted, I feel we have improved a lot over the past two years, but still.

For the record, this is not about rainbows and sunshine, it's about respect for your allies and your opponent and their validity, albeit possible skewedness of their opinion. My 2 cents.
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • In an ideal world, We would never have to do anything with the forums, and neither would the Gods who take the time to assist with it. However, this is not - and will likely never be - the case. As you rightly say, Lusternia is a game about which people are passionate, and passionate discussion can easily turn into a hostile climate that We do not want the forums to be.

Tweets has a long history of being the hotbed for that kind of discussion. It has been closed and reopened more times than any other thread on the forums. This means that We are especially cautious regarding its content and its ability to quickly turn from a perfectly acceptable discussion about a controversial topic to an insult-slinging match. Often when We intervene before there have been any violations of forum rules it is because We have seen many posts that are on the verge of crossing that line, and the culmination of them is what merits Our intervention.

It is a delicate balancing act that is impossible to perfect. However We would rather err on the side of caution than have Tweets, or the forums as a whole, become somewhere that people do not wish to go because it is perpetually full of heated arguments. Heated arguments are not inherently bad, but creating a forums climate where there is another one happening every few days - which has become the norm recently and forced Us to intervene at a far higher rate than We would like - is not something We want to allow.

We hope that goes some way to explaining Our stance regarding Tweets. We would of course also note that as per the forum rules any moderator's decision, be it Ours or one of the Gods' themselves, is final.
  • We regret that due to another post in violation of the forum rules, Tweets will now be closed for a period of two weeks. Any threads created as replacements for it (i.e. threads that are not topic specific) will be deleted. Thank you, and Our apologies for the inconvenience.
This discussion has been closed.