The Studio Ghibli Mafia Game! - TOWN WINS!

Comments

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Kaimanahi said:
    For the sake of conversation (and the mafia noobs like me), what are the options? Assuming nothing crazy happens, my understanding is: We take a shot with very little (no?) information, with greater likelihood that we hit town but a big(?) advantage in the game if we hit scum. Or we punt on the lynch and hope to get more information through the night to make a more informed decision tomorrow. Is the risk worth the reward? Does the size of the game factor in at all?

Personally I lean towards the statistically safer option of the no-lynch, but taking a shot is real tempting.
     There's a divide in the game theory. Generally people either believe there are enough players to risk a lynch on day zero, because the reward (taking out a mafia early) outweighs the risk (small chance of randomly hitting mafia) and the town this early generally has people to spare. OR they believe the chance of hitting a mafia is too slim (4 to 1ish?) to waste a potentially valuable member of the town.

I generally lean towards the latter, as do most people who play Lusternian mafia. Occasionally we get someone advocating for the former, but for whatever reason they tend to go off the deep end and do a poor job of advocating for their position. FACTS @Sylandra. FACTS.

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Was supposed to say "Example: "FACTS, SYLANDRA. FACTS." 
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Ordassa said:
    my vote: FOLLOW THE BIG 'UNS

ABSTAIN ( at least  until more have voted )
    (Just a note that if you're voting no lynch, please write Vote: No Lynch or Vote: None in bold so that I can be positive I'm tallying your votes correctly! Abstain could mean you're not voting at all, or it could mean you're voting against a lynch.)
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • edited September 2017
    Sylandra said:
    Ordassa said:

(Just a note that if you're voting no lynch, please write Vote: No Lynch or Vote: None in bold so that I can be positive I'm tallying your votes correctly! Abstain could mean you're not voting at all, or it could mean you're voting against a lynch.)
    Vote: None

ok!
    Ordassa said:

Thanks for the clarification! Also gentle reminder to please not edit posts! Consider this your first warning.

---

Vote Count:
    @Vivet: Vivet (1)
    None: Othero, Ordassa (2) 

With 16 alive, it's 9 to reach a majority lynch.

Mob Mentality is in effect: 
    Based on the current votes, Vivet will be lynched at the end of the dayphase.

(Day One will end at 8am EST on Friday, 9/29, or when a majority lynch is reached.)
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    Cyndarin said:
    Kaimanahi said:
    For the sake of conversation (and the mafia noobs like me), what are the options? Assuming nothing crazy happens, my understanding is: We take a shot with very little (no?) information, with greater likelihood that we hit town but a big(?) advantage in the game if we hit scum. Or we punt on the lynch and hope to get more information through the night to make a more informed decision tomorrow. Is the risk worth the reward? Does the size of the game factor in at all?

Personally I lean towards the statistically safer option of the no-lynch, but taking a shot is real tempting.
     There's a divide in the game theory. Generally people either believe there are enough players to risk a lynch on day zero, because the reward (taking out a mafia early) outweighs the risk (small chance of randomly hitting mafia) and the town this early generally has people to spare. OR they believe the chance of hitting a mafia is too slim (4 to 1ish?) to waste a potentially valuable member of the town.

I generally lean towards the latter, as do most people who play Lusternian mafia. Occasionally we get someone advocating for the former, but for whatever reason they tend to go off the deep end and do a poor job of advocating for their position. FACTS @Sylandra. FACTS.

Thanks for affirming that, I wasn't sure if there was a general convention to it. 

And now with the vote update I think I understand the implications of mob mentality a bit better. As a different clarification, @Sylandra what do you mean by Twilight, in the rules regarding posting after lynches? I can guess, but I've only played with Night/Day so just wanted to ask.

I'm not familiar with a lot of the subject movies, so can't really contribute to speculation. Maybe I should start watching some. :D
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Twilight here refers to the time between a majority vote (day ends) and before the moderator officially calls the day and says "no more posts".
    @Xenthos is completely right. Twilight is when majority has been reached and a lynch is imminent, even if in my infinite mod-ness I have yet to post the end of the day.
    Daraius said:
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    I'm usually in the boat of no-lynch on day one, since we have nothing to go on. So much, in fact, that I usually play with day zero to get the check-ins and such out of the way before immediately advancing to night one. With that in mind, I'll go ahead and..

I remember reading a post online that explained how in Ghibli films there are rarely true villains, such as Lady Eboshi from Princess Mononoke. She took in former prostitutes and lepers, giving them respectable jobs and income. The fact that Irontown is destroying the woods doesn't even occur, and in the end when she needs to create her new town, she learns from her mistake and says she'll build a better one. 

Sylandra's a tricky one, too, so I'm not above believing that she picked some tricky antagonists to be her mafia.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • I'd be for not lynching on the first day as well, because it gives everybody a chance to play for a bit.

• Hmm I think that's a good idea. I will be voting no lynch today.
  • I'm also very curious what movies she's pulled from. Is this all Hayao Miyazaki films or will we see someone from Earthsea or Grave of the Fireflies? And did she include Lupin the 3rd?!
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    I feel like this is a good time to admit that I have not seen anything from this company. So if you use fluff-based arguments for things, I'm going to have to ask you to be thorough. Or at least make sure you give me enough info to Google things.

Also open to no lynch, but I want a chance to look through the thread and see if anyone hasn't posted before I put my vote in, will get to it later tonight.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
    Vote Count:
    @Vivet: Vivet (1)
    None: Othero, Ordassa, Tremula, Thyellia, Saobutt (5) 

Mob Mentality is in effect: 
    Based on the current votes, Vivet will be lynched at the end of the dayphase.

(Day One will end at 8am EST on Friday, 9/29, or when a majority lynch is reached.)
    Daraius said:
  • I'm pretty sure that even if we did get close to a lynch today, it would just result in the person role claiming and then people backing off because of it. 
  • Hey @Vivet which character are you?
  • You guys were popping off while I slept.

I like to lean towards no lynch night one too, and since it doesn't look like we're at the tipping point yet I'll go ahead and Vote: Nobody too. Also I guess this is a good time to rewatch a few of the classics.
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Well. Given the current course of things, and the reality that I might not be super active until day end with my work schedule changing for the second time this week (already), guess I'll

Unvote

@Ordassa I'm not 100% sure if role name and role power can be easily correlated in this game or not, so I'm not immediately certain of the wisdom in answering this question with zero pressure or additional directive. However, if the general consensus seems to be that name claiming should be a non-issue, then I'll go ahead.

That said, if you are curious as to whether or not my behaviour today is related to a role restriction of some type, then the answer is no. That is just a Vivet doing Vivet Things.

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Not only have I never watched any of these films, my character is probably the only character in this...genre? That I've ever seen or heard of. I lucked out.
    Vote: no lynch

Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Shaddus said:
    Not only have I never watched any of these films, my character is probably the only character in this...genre? That I've ever seen or heard of. I lucked out.
    Vote: no lynch

spirited away? beautiful movie!
  • Nah, he's probably seen at least one movie with similar themes to Spirited Away, he does have kids
    Vote Count:
    None: Othero, Ordassa, Tremula, Thyellia, Saobutt, Yarith, Vivet, Shaddus (8)

Mob Mentality is in effect.

Daraius said:
  • Since it's day 1 and we don't really have much to go on, I'm going to vote: no lynch
    Vote Count:
    None: Othero, Ordassa, Tremula, Thyellia, Saobutt, Yarith, Vivet, Shaddus, Arix (9)

The majority has reached a decision! There will be no lynch this day!

THE DAYPHASE HAS ENDED.

IT IS NOW NIGHT ONE.

Please send me your night actions by PM before the twenty-four hours have expired. Otherwise, you will take no action this night. Please do not post in this thread until the next dayphase.

(Night One will end at 11pm EST on Thursday, 9/28, or when all night actions are received.)
    Daraius said:
  • *pitter-patter go my feet as I wend my way through the doll house into the world beyond*

Please send me your night actions by PM before the twenty-four hours have expired. Otherwise, you will take no action this night. Please do not post in this thread until the next dayphase.

(Night One will end at 11pm EST on Thursday, 9/28, or when all night actions are received.)
    Daraius said:
    ALL NIGHT ACTIONS ARE OFFICIALLY IN.

PLEASE STANDBY AS I SEND OUT NIGHT MESSAGES.

THE DAYPHASE WILL BE ANNOUNCED AND OPENED SHORTLY.
    Daraius said:
    edited September 2017
    The sight that greets you this morning is a shocking one, for several reasons.

You see Silvanus lying limp in a puddle on the ground, his tiny eyes shut for good. At least it seems his death was a quick one - if you didn't know, you'd assume Silvanus was simply asleep, but the wound on his chest shows otherwise. Someone among you has certainly killed him! But who?!

As curious onlookers press around Silvanus, you discover he was...

Ponyo, from Ponyo!

A cute little goldfish princess, you are determined to leave your homeland of the sea to meet the humans on land. And you don't care what your father or mother have to say about it! Childish but sweet and loyal, you are a very different sort of little mermaid than most of us are used to, but in an endearing way.

Firefighter: You have a talent for blowing bubbles and squirting jets of water, making it easy for you to put out fires! Aren't you special? Even the town doctor can't do that! Every night, you pick a target and douse them in a jet of water, which frees them from any arson attempt that may have been made on them that night or previously. If you target the arsonist, however, they will still reach their target that night.

You win with the Town.

Who would kill such an innocent soul? Unrest rises within your ranks as you attempt to find out!

---

~It is Day Two~

With 15 alive, it's 8 to reach a majority lynch.

Mob Mentality is in effect.

(Day Two will end at 5pm EST on Sunday, 10/1, or when a majority lynch is reached.)
    Daraius said: