Vae Victis! A Roman Mafia Game. CLODIUS AND EMPERORS WIN!

PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
edited November 2017 in Mafia Hideout

Rome, the eternal city. You know what the problem with being eternal is? All of your enemies are eternal, too. And Rome has a lot of enemies.

The provincials are in rebellion, screaming for liberation from your enlightened rule. Conspirators walk the city's streets, hoping to claim your power for their own. Enemies are at the gate, eager to avenge ancient wrongs and plunder your wealth.

Worst of all, you have to share power. You hate that. An eternity's worth of emperors are here, each one hoping to save the city and their throne. Oh, well. You can probably work together. After all, your government was built on the premise of taking turns and sharing power with equals.

Salvete, omnes!

Welcome to Roman Mafia, the game where you all act like homicidal, paranoid lunatics. Or, as some people prefer to call them, Romans.

Here are your rules, stolen with slight alterations from Silvanus who stole them from Sylandra who may or may not have stolen them from someone else.

The Rules:

1. Votes MUST be in bold to count, and they're only valid if you call them proscriptions. (ex. Proscribe Portius)

2. Once a majority has been reached, the day ends. Anything that happens after a final vote will not happen, including unvotes to bring the target below the minimum threshold, unless a power explicitly allows this.

3. You are not allowed to post in the thread during the night phases.

4. You are not allowed to communicate with each other outside the thread unless your role specifically allows you to do this.

5. Once you are eliminated, you are not allowed to post in the thread during the day phase unless your role explicitly allows this.

6. You are not allowed to quote your role PM. 

7. Do not discuss game details outside of the game.

8. If you go inactive, please let me know so I can find a replacement player. (Those interested in being a replacement player, please message me for a waitlist!)

9. You're not allowed to edit your posts. Doublepost instead if you want to clarify something.

10. You must be sportsmanlike. If you are rude or inflammatory to the point that the game ceases to be enjoyable for the rest of the players, I reserve the right to modvig you out of the game. Mafia may be a game about emotional manipulation and deceit, but it's still a game! Have fun with it. But most importantly, be respectful.

11. The game will end when either the town or the mafia have reached their victory condition.
12. Dayphases will last no longer than 72 hours. If three days go by without a lynch, the Nightphase will immediately begin.
13. Nightphases will last no longer than 24 hours. If night actions are not delivered at the end of the night phase, it will be read as no action.

You also get some mod advice!

-This is a historical game with historical characters, within a certain value of historical. Wikipedia may be your friend, and claiming your name might be enough for people to guess at your role. On the other hand, my brain might not make the same thematic links as yours! Use historical research carefully!

-This game includes some unusual mechanics. You can PM me mechanical questions if you have them.

-This is a fluffy game. Assume that there will be a gap between phases while I compose fluff. You may or may not be able to infer information from fluff.

Finally, This game starts at midnight EST, slightly less than an hour from now. I have put the thread up slightly early for convenience and so you can all read the rules. Please do not post until then.

Let the games begin!

Edits: Because I cannot into copy and pasting.
Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.

Comments

• PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    edited November 2017
    PLAYER LIST

1) Sylandra Died Night 3! 3rd Party Arson-Bomb!
    2) Cyndarin
    3) Arix
    4) Tremula
    5) Ordassa Modkilled Day 3! Assorted Crisis Powers!
    6) Ess Proscribed Day 4! Serial Killer!
    7) Dys Died Night 1! Blocker!
    8) Yarith
    9) Kaimanahi  Proscribed Day 5! Rebel Godfather!
    10) Ushaara Killed Night 4! Copycat->Blocker!
    11) Vatul Modkilled Night 4! 2-shot vigilante!
    12) Makaela Died Night 1! Tracker!
    13) Shaddus Proscribed Day 2! Rebel Power Investigator!
    14) Yasei
    15) Vivet Died Night 2! Adds Power Charges!
    16) Sidd Proscribed Day 2! Rebel Strongman!

Day one ends at midnight, EST October 27th!
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Friends, romans, countrymen, lend me your rears.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Let's get this toga party started.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Salutations!
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Yep, time to haul booty and fulfill out duty.

My knowledge of this time period might be lacking, though, so just a forewarning I might not catch on to fluff indicators and stuff.

• As they say, when in Rome do as the Romans do. 

(I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Morning all
    Not Ess.
    Totally not Ess.
    Probably Kistan but that only has one s
  • Salve mi amici!

(I just made the mistake of googling 'The Glory of Rome')
  • Hello, checking in. Maybe that old world history book I kept will be useful finally

• UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Alea iacta est!

Hello, hello, and all that. 
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    I am highly sedated but still posting day one. All roads lead to Rome, let's keep it that way. Kisses~
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    We who are about to die salute you. 
  • We are all Spartacus!
    edited October 2017

VOTE COUNT:
    None

16 Players remain! 9 Votes required to lynch!
    Day ends at midnight EST, October 27th!

"To every man upon this earth
    Death cometh soon or late.
    And how can man die better
    Than facing fearful odds,
    For the ashes of his fathers,
    And the temples of his gods..."
    -Thomas Babington Macaulay, Horatius
  • I'm here, posting and such. 

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Ave!

Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    So do y’all Latin speaking nerds know anything about this game’s flavor? I took Spanish as my second language and, well. No entiendo.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    proscribe: sylandra for being a dirty spaniard.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • I know that Caecillius was a banker from Pompeii who got squished by a wall (spoiler?) but they didn't say much about emperors. I also watched the Spartacus series on Stars. That was great but also no emperors.
  • edited October 2017

May the Gods be favorable to our cause.
    The cool night-time breeze shivers in the arid caress of the streets of the capital city, brushing the earthen taste of dust across your lips.
    A blessed silence falls upon the city for the moment, most activity confined to the towers and the
    theatre due to the snowy weather.
    Pinprick points of light twinkle in the deep black overhead, their brightness full of a cold,
    hungering malice.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Spanish? Cartagena? Carthage? I bet Sylandra's a Carthaginian.

Yeah, I'm totally going to re-watch Gladiator, probably my favorite movie ever. Otherwise, uhh, I watched that HBO series, but I mostly recall the characters as things like "the dumb buff dude with a sword", "ugh, that ho, you already know", and... Caesar.

Moar gladiator quotes/gifs will please me greatly. :D
    Shaddus said:
    proscribe: sylandra for being a dirty spaniard.

Gasp! Bastardo. :(

I saw A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum which is probably nothing close to historically accurate.

Daraius said:

VOTE COUNT:
    Sylandra 1-Shaddus

I think everyone's checked in except Yasei.

Let's get it on. Proscribe: No lynch
    I got caesar haircuts as a teenager and eat caesar salad wraps from this place on my way home sometimes.

So basically I'm an expert.
    Oh, and I also quote Mean Girls all the time, and there was a line about Caesar in that too.
    And I was born by cesarean, which sounds like Caesarean.
    VOTE COUNT:
    Sylandra 1-Shaddus
    None 1-Kaimanahi