Tweets VIII: Knocks Me Off My Tweet

Comments

• edited October 2017
    Isune said:
    I can now be a Star Trek nerd in my own home. My echo dots now respond to "Computer" instead of "Alexa"  B)
    It would be great to do this for the feel of it, but I use the word computer too much, so I stick with "Alexa" because I never say it otherwise :(
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    Isune said:
    I can now be a Star Trek nerd in my own home. My echo dots now respond to "Computer" instead of "Alexa"  B)
    Showoff. :-p
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • edited October 2017
    Ianir said:
    Ciaran said:

I'm still sort of annoyed that they simply made SSC better than any system can be.  No use in being a stick in the mud though.
    I'm kind of confused by this. I made the entire system as black-box as I possibly could, and it honestly shouldn't know anything a player system doesn't. And as much as people are complaining about how it handles hidden afflictions and blackout, I'm pretty sure we're near to the mark there.

The only ways it might be better at the moment are command failure handling and the fact that it responds at an average of 25ms latency. The former is a work in progress (making a system sufficiently black-boxed in a 500kloc codebase is hard, yo), and the latter is by design based on player feedback.

Otherwise... Can't please everybody I guess.
    That's exactly the issue that I had with it.  It instantly recognizes command failure and resends the command.  This is already a huge upgrade over 99.9% of systems, and 100% of systems when combined with the no-latency nature of serverside.

People who suggest that you can make pure client side curing better than integrating SSC now are simply wrong.  So the choice is to re-write to use serverside for curing, or have sub-optimal curing.

You're right though. You can't please me because I want client side to be equal to, or possibly better than, SSC, because of what I see as the enormous effort gap.  Most people would rather have the playing field leveled, which has its merits as well.
    Take great care of yourselves and each other.
  • edited October 2017
    If that's a really big problem I'd rather we look at changing stupidity as an aff.

Edit: To elaborate, to me, stupidity has always been about making people stumble where it counts, such as in aeon, not about generally fuggin up your attempts.
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • edited October 2017
    Command failure encompasses maaaany more effects than just stupidity. One of the most accurate measures of a system is how adroitly and consistently a system deals well with cmd failure.  SSC is conveniently godmode against command failure.  Again, I'm not trying to assert that this is bad for the game.  People who have struggled with it will greatly enjoy the sudden upgrade in their curing.

I'm just not pleased with having to rewrite what was a top-tier system because there's nothing better than SSC any more.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I relied heavily on failsafe timers.  Timers for everything.  I am incredibly pleased to kill them all, though I am trying to be methodical about dismantling things (still need all the def stuff, for example).
  • Ya pure command failure afflictions on its own was never an issue for average systems other than ping slowing stuff down and there's crude work arounds for even that(Hello super spam).

Command denial is only useful if you have a specific mechanic that can take advantage of command failure like aeon or eyesnare type stuff.

I really don't see this as a specific issue with server side curing at all. It's all part of the ping doesn't matter style of it which to me is an awesome good thing.

Stupidity affliction isn't just command denial though, it can change the command into a harmful command not just waste it. Can throw off equilibrium, prone etc. I think stupidity is generally fine/still a useful affliction for sure atm.
  • Amnesia on the other hand now that aff is pretty useless now with the aeon change.
  • edited October 2017
    "I'm just not pleased with having to rewrite what was a top-tier system because there's nothing better than SSC any more."

Considering SSC doesn't have any offense, movement, target calling, or elaborate defense maintenance I'm confused how it could possibly be godmode or the end of all client-side systems. SSC is obviously not a complete combat solution. Additionally, there are a million other kinds of commands you can have failure on than the kind SSC generates. From my end, I'm reading personal feelings and a fear of change more than I am accurate assessments of SSC. If SSC were half as powerful as the implication here, I'd suddenly be a combatant.
  • I missed the part where I suggested that SSC supplants offense, or replaces the need for any coding.

Maybe my writing isn't clear enough.  When SSC was introduced as a project it was reported that they would try not to make it superior than client side curing.  In the end they didn't do that.  SSC is better than client side curing can possibly be.

Understood?
  • edited October 2017
    Haha. I actually would just like it if it was possible for client side systems to be as good SSC.

But all good! Shots fiiired :)
  • We have deleted the posts in this particular discussion that devolved into personal attacks.

Let's not go down this road again.
  • My fans have been sitting in the customisation queue for what feels like forever :(
  • I can't think of any good fan ideas because someone's customization is using the Best Idea Ever. :P 
    (clan): Falmiis says, "Aramelise, verb, 1. adorn with many flowers."
  • Aramel said:
    I can't think of any good fan ideas because someone's customization is using the Best Idea Ever. :P 
    D:
  • 3.4 THE SHOUT COMMAND

<snip>
    Generally speaking, if you want to speak to an individual player, it's best to
    use tells rather than shouts. Further, to reduce unwanted spam from a
    potentially valuable channel, insulting other players, or gloating over them,
    is prohibited on shouts.
    </snip>
  • Someone needs to design some ruler nunchaku for our new nuns.
    The Divine voice of Ianir the Anomaly echoes in your head, "You are a ray of sunshine in a sea of 
    depression. I just wanted you to know that."
  • How dare google gives me feels about a halloween ghost...
  • Versalean said:
    3.4 THE SHOUT COMMAND

<snip>
    is prohibited on shouts.
    </snip>
    I feel this rule has always been pointless. The only thing anyone would/should want to shout about is insults or gloating.
  • The spammiest shouts aren't even insults or gloating. I'm sure you all know which ones I'm talking about.
  • edited November 2017
    Ayisdra said:
    Versalean said:
    3.4 THE SHOUT COMMAND

<snip>
    is prohibited on shouts.
    </snip>
    I feel this rule has always been pointless. The only thing anyone would/should want to shout about is insults or gloating.
    Actually, I 100% agree with you on this... but that doesn't change the rule. I mean, I would be very interested to know what Team Godmin thinks shouts should be used for.

Personally, I like the theological 'discussions', and folks who don't want to hear it can turn it off when it gets too much. But the sniping is pointless, in my humble opinion.

Good:

Player A: "Taint is awesome, because X!"
    Player B: "Taint is nothing before the wonders of Light, because Y!"
    Player C: "Both are inferior to Freedom, because Z!"

Less Good:

Player A: "Taint is awesome, because X!"
    Player B: "Shut up, nobody wants to hear about Taint."
    Player C: "Sounds like a load of bollocks."
    Player D : "Can everyone stop shouting?"