Vae Victis! A Roman Mafia Game. CLODIUS AND EMPERORS WIN!

Comments

• KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    Still, that didn't really answer my question. Why is that historically relevant to Romulus Augustulus? (please don't make me research this dude, lawl)
  • He was a usurper, also he lead a military revolt
  • Also he was only emperor of the Western Empire, when they split
    So he gets to evade death... why? I think Yasei should answer. 
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    I mean I have the answer, unless you want Yasei specifically to give it.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Color me skeptical. For one, information on this Romulus guy is really scarce. After 5 or 6 articles on the guy, he didn't appear to actually do anything. He was given the throne by his father as a child, then deposed after 10 months. He then noted to disappear from public record forever.

This comes across as a safe claim. 
    I'd prefer if @Yasei answered if it's all the same, but if we start running short on time, feel free to answer if you want, @Tremula.

I came to the same conclusion as Cyndarin (though only based on the briefest skim of Wikipedia - ain't nobody got time for 5 articles). I'm also a little suspicious of the "oops I was tired" bit; you don't know your power after this long into the game? I dunno.
  • Yeah I'm sorry, but out of all of you, Yasei is wigging me out the most.
    PROSCRIBE YASEI
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Vote Count
    Yasei 1-Arix
    6 Players remain! 4 Votes required to lynch!
    Day 4 ends at 11 AM EST on November 7th!

"Thine, Roman, is the pilum:
              Roman, the sword is thine,
         The even trench, the bristling mound,
              The legion's ordered line;
         And thine the wheels of triumph,
              Which with their laurelled train
         Move slowly up the shouting streets
              To Jove's eternal flame.

-Thomas Babington Macaulay, The Prophecy of Capys

Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • I've only read my message once before today, right before I went to bed on the day I got it. The reason I'll be spared from one death is because I am a child with no real power. Feel free to elaborate on it more @Tremula

Again, lynching me is a waste of a day phase. 1. because I have been investigated by @Yarith
    and 2. I won't die the first time I'm targetted.

I'm going to go ahead and proscribe Kaimanahi since I've had the gut feeling about her, as I've expressed already.
  • Also, from what I've read no one's safe claim came with a suggested power that they mention.
    Vote Count
    Yasei 1-Arix
    Kaimanahi 1-Yasei

To Jove's eternal flame.

• wait when were you vetted by Yarith?
  • never mind, found it. I missed it the first time.
    UNPROSCRIBE YASEI
    Vote Count
    Kaimanahi 1-Yasei

To Jove's eternal flame.

• So that really does narrow it down to Kaimanahi and Cyndarin
    So! History time! (I see why Portius does this so often, now, it's fun)

Not only are you correct in that Romulus was a puppet emperor who lasted a short time before he was deposed, but you are also forgetting a certain Scirian chieftain named Odoacer. When Orestes was captured near Piacenza on 28 August, 476, he was swiftly executed, at which point Odoacer proceeded to Ravenna, where he captured the city and young Romulus, who was "compelled" to abdicate his throne on 4 September, 476. With his age in mind, it makes a lot of sense that he would have been spared instead of executed, and is likely the source of the power's fluff as far as this game is concerned.

I just want @Yarith to confirm that he got a positive from Yasei, because the +1 life actually works to our advantage right now. See, if we read the historical text/flavour message from the day posts and know them to be true, that means there are no Gauls (survivors) left. Now, we've got all the traditional third parties out of the way, meaning that we're at approximately one mafia, as our setup including an arson and a serial killer would harshly reduce the number of mafia necessary for a functional game. If there is one mafia, then we can either lynch no one or lynch Yasei with absolutely no consequence. That's the "safe route".

That leaves us between Cyndarin and Kaimanahi, our coin flip. However, if Cyndarin is telling the truth, which I am leaning more towards, then Kaimanahi is our mafia. We lynch her, win the game. It's incredibly common for all players to get more chatty at the end of the game as theories culminate, but we have to look at patterns and what was said previously. Kaimanahi burst out of the gate running today, and I don't buy it based on the weight of her previous posts.

Proscribe: Kaimanahi

• I've already indicated in the prior days that Yasei turned up positive to my investigation. I am not ruling out the possibility of a false positive for either of my investigations.

I'm leaning in the other direction, of voting Cyndarin, but it seems that we're running out of time and not really making any progress in any direction.
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
    Vote Count
    Kaimanahi 2-Yasei, Tremula

To Jove's eternal flame.

• What if they are both scum and trying to throw us off?
    If there are two scum and they get us to lynch an innocent, then kill another at night, then they will win because at four people remaining, two scum can stall the lynch until the end of the day then kill again at night.

• I move that we lynch Kai, then next day phase lynch Cyn.
  • We can't really afford to stall much longer.
  • Going to proscribe Kaimanahi. Haven't getting much of a scum vibe from Cyndarn
  • Cyndarin
    The fact that you all continue to ignore the crisis result logic is baffling. But, the fact that the two people who have voted for me are two of the three possible people who could be mafia maybe tells something.

I'm not sure why I have to defend myself still, but here goes. @Tremula, I talk when I have something to say. This is only the third mafia game I've played, so I don't have historical knowledge to contribute to game theory unlike the Lusternia veterans who clearly dominated the early game pitchforks. Further, in this particular game, I don't have an investigative power, so I didn't have information to spin elaborate theories earlier. But I still contributed posts with value when I could. I reported when I got walled by Ushaara; I provided insightful observations based on Sidd's body; and I've participated in discussions around the deaths we've seen throughout. There was not much to discuss on the previous days given Yarith's successful investigations, so I'm not sure I understand your basis for judging my posting pattern.

Ultimately, I don't think it matters very much. If there's only one mafia left, we have room to make an err in this lynch, and I'm fairly sure town will win. I am just annoyed that I'm trying to give you the answer, based on facts that are as mechanically solid as an investigation, and you're totally ignoring it based on pretty much nothing.

So, unless Tremula or Yasei changes their mind, then we can't lynch Cyndarin. At this point, I'm almost equally suspicious of Yasei.  If Yasei is as she says, then she'll come back tomorrow if we lynch her. I'd be okay with that. Yarith can investigate me tonight (Arix will surely protect him), and you can all lynch me tomorrow if you must. 

Proscribe Yasei 

I'm willing to flip this to Cyndarin, if my fellow sane townies want to get behind that instead.
    edited November 2017
    Vote Count
    Kaimanahi 3-Yasei, Tremula, Arix
    Yasei 1-Kaimanahi

To Jove's eternal flame.

Tremula said:
    If there are two scum and they get us to lynch an innocent, then kill another at night, then they will win because at four people remaining, two scum can stall the lynch until the end of the day then kill again at night.
    Based on the knowns in the game and its assumed design, I think it is very likely there is only one remaining scum. And if the assumption is that I'm scum with Cyndarin, why would I have volunteered so much material to question her today?

I'll also say that your assertion is not entirely true. If Yasei is telling the truth and gets lynched, then she will come back and there will be five remaining tomorrow - not four.
    Well, I would certainly hope that the mafia in the implied scenario would be smart enough to not kill the person who takes an extra round, but that is a hypothetical. As I already stated, I've been on board that it's a coin flip and it's a 50/50 to get it right. If we didn't have room to make that error, I wouldn't. A hypothetical question was asked, I answered it. You can look back to my previous post about what I personally think the game setup is like. Also there's been plenty of low-game-count and high-game-count people who've tried to prove things with FACTS but that doesn't mean they're always right. Mafia's about fooling people, and knowing your education I believe you're in a good position to take advantage of our situation and pose a threat to town. 

Further, the thing you've been railing on is the fact that it has to be 'THESE PEOPLE' to contribute to letting the mafia win the crisis, but Cyndarin's claim and demonstration of their power matches closely with how mine was given and the limitations on it. They have one-shot mayor, I have one-shot governor. Neither of these powers inherently has any use at night, and therefore THEY CANNOT CONTRIBUTE TO A CRISIS FOR OR AGAINST. Could be they're lying about their role and have more, could be they're telling the truth. I have to work with the knowledge that I know to be true, because it's been mod-confirmed.

You're playing heavily on the fact that you were blocked. However, that just means you could not contribute to the crisis that night, not that you couldn't contribute all along. It's entirely likely that Sylandra or Ess are the ones who contributed, since they turned out to be various degrees of sour, and you've been overlooking them by playing off of the original list.  So looking back, I can pick out two of the bad ones who "didn't contribute" and have enough confidence in this theory to think that Cyndarin is safe. I'm not going to lift my proscription. Thirteen hours.

• I think you're all wrong but might as well keep this game moving.

Proscribe: Kaimanahi
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it