Vae Victis! A Roman Mafia Game. CLODIUS AND EMPERORS WIN!

167891012»

Comments

• KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    I did not overlook Ess or Sylandra. The mod rules state that you must use your night action to support the crisis. Ess killed Vivet on Night 2. Sylandra arson-prepped Shaddus. I did not support the crisis, because I was blocked. So how did the mafia win the conspiracy?
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Worst comes to, we lynch Cyndarin tomorrow. Cynd, the other half, will kill me tonight since you'll be protected and it's worthless to kill the protector at this stage, so you get to have fun with Lucky McTwoLives.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    edited November 2017
    Roles!

Yarith was Marcus Aurelius!

You were the last of the Five Good Emperors, and are really more famous for your book than for your leadership. You were a fairly good emperor, but you had a blind spot for your son, who was a horrible person who became a horrible leader.

Your Meditations are among the most important sources of ancient philosophy, and the most important work on Stoicism. They've influenced world leaders for centuries, which probably makes you one of the most historically significant emperors.

Imperator: You were an emperor of Rome, and you will see the eternal city triumph over her enemies. You win with the town!

Meditations: You have mastered your own spirit, and your experience has given you a keen insight into the natures of other men. At night, you may target another player to learn their alignment. [Detective]

-----

Yasei was Romulus Augustulus!

You have a fancy name and the world's worst father. He installed you as the emperor of Rome, but only so he could use you as a figurehead. Your reign lasted for about ten months, and almost nobody recognized you as a real power.

Your father died at the hands of Odoacer, but he spared you. Probably because you were a child who obviously had no power. He certainly sent you into exile, and some sources say that he also gave you a stipend.

Imperator: You were an emperor of Rome, and you will see the eternal city triumph over her enemies. You win with the town!

End of the West: Though the Empire survived in the east, you were the last to rule as the emperor of the west. You were lucky to survive getting deposed. Your enemies will take pity on your youth. The first time that you would die, you will survive. [1-shot death immunity]

-----

Arix was Justinian!

Most people would classify you as a Byzantine emperor, but you have direct political continuity to Rome, and your mod frowns on the distinction between the two. The distinction is even less meaningful for you, since you managed to reconquer most of the western provinces.

Your primary achievements were administrative. You rewrote most of the nation's laws, and you were one of the few emperors to make appointments based on efficiency. That wasn't a terribly popular choice, but it worked pretty well. You also faced a notably entertaining revolt by chariot racing fans that destroyed half of Constantinople.

Corpus Juris Civilis: You love laws. A lot. You just can't stand illegal acts, like murder, and you'll do what you can to prevent them. You may protect one player from getting killed at night. [Doctor]

Your mod humbly recognizes the mediocre flavor on this one, but emperors tend not be very medical so I had to make do.

----

Cyndarin was Domitian!

History remembers you as a tyrant. Of course it does, it was written by your enemies. It might be more accurate to say that you dispensed with the pleasantries. You made it clear that you ruled Rome, rather than paying lip service to the idea of the Roman Republic. It got you assassinated, but it was surprisingly effective.

You also wrote a guide to hair care in spite of your own baldness. Most of this book has not survived to the modern era, a fact which your mod views as one of history's greatest tragedies.

Autocrat: You do what you want. The aristocrats and officials may not like it, but you know better than they do. During the day phase, you may ISSUE AN EDICT to increase your vote weight by one. You may do this only once.

-------

Tremula was your mod's favorite emperor, Julian the Apostate!

You were born into the Constantinian dynasty, and were the last of that line to rule. You were also born a Christian. That part didn't stick. You turned away from the church and tried to revive Rome's pagan customs.

You and your dreams of a pagan Rome died on the end of a Sassanid spear, but you did succeed in fascinating centuries of historians. You didn't act like an emperor. You engaged in religious debates, you spoke to normal people like they were your peers, and you shunned most of the trappings of wealth. Though you were prepared to take the throne by force (your men allegedly threatened to mutiny if you didn't, but that claim might have been you hedging your bets), you tended to focus on the administration. Your reign was too impossibly complex to describe in full, and your mod humbly suggests that you read up on yourself. You were fascinating.

The Last Pagan: You turned your back on the church to become Rome's last pagan ruler. This did not make you popular, but it did give you quite a bit of experience engaging in debates. During the day, you may DEFEND <PLAYER> in the main game thread. The targeted player cannot be lynched that day phase. You may not target yourself, and you may only use this power once. [1-shot governor]

Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
    edited November 2017
    @Sylandra you have an annoying habit of winning games post-mortem. I like it. Also I finally participated in the town's victory while being a town and I have never felt so

Also editing since I can't be modkilled for it now and I just love how thematically appropriate getting Rome's last pagan emperor is for me, especially since my power was almost entirely useless thanks to Yarith's brilliant(ly lucky) plays

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    edited November 2017
    Tremula said:
    @Sylandra you have an annoying habit of winning games post-mortem. I like it. 
    Nothing I did went as I expected, but I just rolled with it! I walked into a very lucky day 1, 2 and 3, honestly.
    D1: Get a spontaneous Shaddus vote! Whoo, lose my survivor condition!
    D2: Hop instantly on the obvious mafia train to avoid townie suspicion for awhile.
    D3: Great news, the only person who voted for me turned out to be a mafia, and being aggressive enough in his lynch train made his friends mad enough to kill me!

You see, I was a very limited arsonist. I could only arson prep someone if they had voted me the previous dayphase, and the only person who voted me was Shaddus D1.

So my nights looked like this:
    N1: Attempted to arson prep Shaddus, GOT BLOCKED, rip.
    N2: Unable to prep anyone, supported mafia in the conspiracy for the lulz, ironically became the target of it.
    N3: Hoped that I was an annoying enough townie D3 to be a mafia target. Died a victorious death. :D

Whoever killed me - thank you! I worked hard to be a thorn in Shaddus's side, and when he flipped mafia I hoped and dreamed his teammates would find me worth disposing of. I was despairing of how to handle a mass claim, ahaha. The one thing I desperately wanted to avoid was a lynch!
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    I really do have to applaud/curse the town's ability to snipe scum with their powers.
  • Crepe Dios, @Kaimanahi
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • are the night actions incoming? I wanna see if all my doctoring actually did anything
    Arix said:
    are the night actions incoming? I wanna see if all my doctoring actually did anything
    You were protecting the one person I needed to live.
  • oh, well good to know I was wasting my time the entire game. Also am glad nobody poked at my claim because look at my flavor. Just look at it
    They're not handy right now, but I'll throw them up if I remember when it's convenient. Important things from memory:

1. Doctoring didn't do much because nobody ever attacked Yarith, but the threat of doctoring might have impacted it early on.

2. Ordassa supported the Catilinarian Conspiracy for the town, Sylandra did for the scum.

3. Yarith and Ushaara had really great aim with their powers.

4. As mentioned above, Vivet aimed hilariously badly.
  • THe sad thing is I had initially planned to protect Ushaara the night he died but I was like 'NO MUST KEEP YARITH ALIVE'
    @Kaimanahi facts and logic have no standing against the raw feeling of your gut. Godfathers nearly always investigate as town, it's something that's an arguably integral part of mafia. No one begs as hard to be investigative as someone worth investigating, and while I thought it was because you were a traitor with veteran powers (Choose to go into a defencive state, killing anyone who visits you during the night), the possibility you were a godfather was itching in my head. I'm really sad I didn't say it out loud to look smarter than I am.

There is gut and there is also:
    Sylandra said:
    Well possibly, but we also only saw one kill last night, but were conditioned to expect two, so FoS: Kaimanahi for a bit. 

[...]

....because we went from 2 kills to 1 kill on a night she was blocked, which is sketch.
    I was amused no one ever brought this up again after the serial killer was revealed! Would the mafia really sacrifice their night 2 kill, for a paltry 1-less vote crisis? I thinketh not.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    I mean, my gut is driven by logic, because that's the way I think. And I realized I had killed off some of the logical people who seemed likely to put the pieces of the puzzle together, but I had to give it a try.

I wasn't trying to beg for an investigation at the end, just tried to point it out as an option if (when) my theory was wrong. I 100% would have acted the same way if I was town, though. Who doesn't love a good conspiracy theory?
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Rude, @Sylandra. SO ROOOD.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • My omgus vote turned out to be reliable. Raves are being had.
  • That was fun to read, seemed a quick game though! Nero is an amusing 'safe' claim. I'd have been gunning for anyone revealed as Caligula too.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Et tu, @Kaimanahi? I was 90% sure you were a vigilante who killed Sylandra. Briefly considered blocking you again but I was convinced by my own post regarding Catiline conspiracy maybe having a secondary effect allowing someone to claim bonus power as their only power. Public vote reduction by itself just seemed too weak for the crisis mechanic. :(

I also came so close to pressing post on a D1 accusation of @sylandra for being 3p/mafia, based off her 'hypothetically we might see anyone" post, taking it as evidence that she didn't have a town rolesheet. But I figured it'd be taken as one of my off-the-wall theories to be convinced off a single post, and would backfire onto me.

Adapting a quote...

"Mafia is a simple game. Town try to root out the mafia over several days, and Sylandra always wins in the end."

(also yes, poor Sidd with a Nero safeclaim :D)

• GG - I can't even be mad. -shakefist Sylandra and Yarith-
    Ushaara said:

I also came so close to pressing post on a D1 accusation of @sylandra for being 3p/mafia, based off her 'hypothetically we might see anyone" post, taking it as evidence that she didn't have a town rolesheet. But I figured it'd be taken as one of my off-the-wall theories to be convinced off a single post, and would backfire onto me.

Adapting a quote...

"Mafia is a simple game. Town try to root out the mafia over several days, and Sylandra always wins in the end."

(also yes, poor Sidd with a Nero safeclaim :D)

In all fairness: remember the time you and @Lavinya killed me in the Elder Mafia game and you two won? Despite me constantly gunning for your deaths?

That is definitely 100% my saltiest loss of all time. You did that, bb. :D

(Nero safeclaim really was the worst. Poor @Sidd.)
    Daraius said:
    Yeah, that might be my historian showing. Nero has been rehabilitated a lot in recent scholarship, so I don't really think of him as evil to the same degree as pop culture does. Probably no worse than actually being Caligula or Elagabalus, though.
    Oh wow just to clear something up, I forgot about this:

After being blocked night 1, I figured I'd pretend to be the first arsonist target. I assumed (wrongly) more people would vote for me over time and I'd get to prep people.

So uh, the jeers and whatnot never actually happened to me, but they would have happened to other people if my arson preps had been allowed to happen. :wink:
    Daraius said:
  • i had My investigator check shaddus the night i was killed :).
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    @Kaimanahi If it makes you feel any better, when I first read your explanation of why it's probably me, it made so much sense to me that I sat here trying to figure out how you're right about everything but I wasn't mafia. 

I think that's what threw me off your trail in the end, it all just made so much sense, but at the same time I knew my role wasn't mafia. HOW COULD IT ALL BE SO WRONG AND SO RIGHT AT THE SAME TIME.

Sorry I wasn't around the last day, had to take off work for personal reasons. Thank god for Tremula.
  • Nah, I would've needed way more to vote for you, you weren't giving off scum vibes