Lack of Raves VI: Rave Today, Tweet Tomorrow

Comments

• Versalean said:
    I hope this doesn't sound anal or elitist (okay, let's be honest, I don't care in either case...) but I'd like to put out raves to the Godmin for correctly interpreting this deadline:

midnight on Sunday, 25th February, 2018

You would be amazed how frequently the people who put out a midnight deadline don't understand the day it actually applies to.  Props.
    This is probably a case of Americanism - 'Midnight on February 25th' would in most cases mean '12:00am February 26th' for Americans. Some places have started using 11:59pm instead of midnight to avoid confusion.
  • Ayisdra said:
    Versalean said:
    I hope this doesn't sound anal or elitist (okay, let's be honest, I don't care in either case...) but I'd like to put out raves to the Godmin for correctly interpreting this deadline:

You would be amazed how frequently the people who put out a midnight deadline don't understand the day it actually applies to.  Props.
    This is probably a case of Americanism - 'Midnight on February 25th' would in most cases mean '12:00am February 26th' for Americans. Some places have started using 11:59pm instead of midnight to avoid confusion.
    Agreed. See, know what it means, but the problem is that nowadays I can't be sure that the person who wrote it (i.e., the job advertiser) does, and who's ever gonna win that argument? So sad as I am to see the shift to 11.59pm rather than sticking to an equally clear time, that does take a lot of the anxiety out of applying.
  • edited February 2018
    Versalean said:

Agreed. See, know what it means, but the problem is that nowadays I can't be sure that the person who wrote it (i.e., the job advertiser) does, and who's ever gonna win that argument? So sad as I am to see the shift to 11.59pm rather than sticking to an equally clear time, that does take a lot of the anxiety out of applying.
    Alas, the meaning of language is defined by the people using the language, so when we use the language differently, it's not equally clear.

I wound up asking about that on the forums, because where I'm from (which is in the US) it would definitely mean end of the day on Sunday, to the point that I know of places here that have accepted applications after what they considered the deadline rather than deal with the blowback in the community of being considered to have falsely advertised the deadline.
  • Letters are the best form of messaging <3
  • Everiine said:
    Ayisdra said:
    Versalean said:

Nobody who understands how time works mixes this up. It's not an Americanism. There's only one proper way of interpreting it, but too many people are idiots and get all upset when they're wrong--and that IS an Americansim.
    /r/IAmVerySmart
  • "You have earned 37gp from the sale of a ticket to a replay of 'The Magic Show'. The gold has been placed in your inventory."

That still makes me happy!
    Not Ess.
    Totally not Ess.
    Probably Kistan but that only has one s
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    >--------------------------[ Changelog Entry #1306 ]--------------------------<
       Entered by: The Furies, Administrators of the EnvoysDate: 2018-02-28 15:20:23

o Report 1814
         - Jewellery Repair's gold cost has been reduced significantly.

Yay! *happy dance*

(For those who are unaware, REPAIR in jewelry was prohibitively expensive when it came to low-end goods like rings - a ring that cost maybe 100 gold worth of materials to make would cost anywhere up to 5000 gold to repair)
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    Lousha Loo is still the most amazing hilarious Kelpie around. Would invest into a Lousha doll ( I still love the quest to bits too <3 )
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • post it so I can put it on the wiki
  • @Shonjir <3 Thank you a million times. @Isune For your endless patience. Thank you. 
    Moon Priestess Ridien says, "The blood of an animal, however, can also be a tool. Consider fetishes -
    - efficient, powerful tools created by ecologists. It is exactly as Kendra says -- a tool of bones 
    and blood that has been magnified, changed, enchanted. Made into a tool."
    Raves for @Vidette, because of a lot of fun RP :)
  • Mrak said:
    Sundae: 
    Ruling Council Member: Kailanna

Cherry:
    He is known as a Guardian of the Icewynd, consort to the Ice Angels.
    Kailanna rules the SUndae's?
    OR is SUndae a PC?
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• You ever hear that phrase, the cherry on top of the sundae?
    Raves for @elexia for challenging me, indirectly, to get more into being faeling again through her amazing RP.

Also raves for all those involved in todays little RP thingie <3
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Lief said:
    One million raves to the etiquette and dancing class that Hallifax held!
    I miss all the fun. D=
  • Luce said:
    Lief said:
    One million raves to the etiquette and dancing class that Hallifax held!
    I miss all the fun. D=

We gotta keep you up in the Chairman's office doing your paperwork!
  • Didn't expect to get so far! Exciting. Although most credit goes to @Shango and @Yarith. I died super quick most of the time.