Ascension of Deichtine

Wow! This Ascension certainly took an unexpected turn! Let us know your thoughts.

Comments

• Was my first time leading a group as Moi. I only got lost twice! And then Ghani turned up and ruined all of my plans. Pesky Prophet.

(I had a lot of fun ambushing sealbearers. It was incredibly frantic.)
  • I really liked the new format of Ascension. It was chaotic, but we had a very clear goal and direction.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    Wasn't really able to participate since I'm at work, but was watching via deathsight and what I could hear through aether chat, personally from what I discerned, I prefer the existing format of someone holding the staff for a required timeframe, rather than it being a rush to secure X number of hits on an NPC.  That's just me though.
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • edited March 2018
    Kagato said:
    Wasn't really able to participate since I'm at work, but was watching via deathsight and what I could hear through aether chat, personally from what I discerned, I prefer the existing format of someone holding the staff for a required timeframe, rather than it being a rush to secure X number of hits on an NPC.  That's just me though.
    It was very anti-fortress which was nice.
  • Kagato said:
    ... it being a rush to secure X number of hits on an NPC. 
    What NPC?
  • Interesting, and refreshing that it was new. Thank you for all the work on something original.

Concerns:
    - PATH FIND was disabled/did not work, but PATH SHORTEST did in fact work, which I was unaware of that until now. How are we supposed to know one syntax of IG pathing works, but another doesn't? You could get Ghani's true vnum/room via magical map of mystery and then PATH GO to it near instantly. High chance of him moving, but you still get right there in the ballpark. IMO, the lack of being able to map, coordinate, and track via at least some conventional methods detracted from the event in many ways. 

- Wonder supremacy. Wonderwand portals and even more impactful Wonderwings Skydive should not have had such an impact.

- More examination of skills to level playing field. 

• (You can also just do scent/scry, capture the room name, PATH SEARCH <room name> to get the number and then PATH SHORTEST <number from prior step> GO. All server-side, available to anyone in the game.)
  • Ixion said:

- PATH FIND was disabled/did not work, but PATH SHORTEST did in fact work, which I was unaware of that until now. How are we supposed to know one syntax of IG pathing works, but another doesn't? 

There was no extra pathing code added, and path find/path shortest use the same code with a single boolean difference to disable enemy rooms. The more likely issue was how Pandaemonium is shaped (there's 3 separate sections you get teleported between as you move, and they are not connected directly in a way pathing can make use of) and your timing regarding that.
    Forum Avatar drawn by our lovely Isune.
  • edited March 2018
    I was a fan, although I'd never participated in Ascension before! It was chaotic, and I kept getting swept all over the place, but that was really fun.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Ixion said:
    Even better. It's just poor that PATH FIND didn't work, but other things in that same IG pathing system did. It sure would have been nice for some consistency there.

Edit: @Ianir It may use same code whatever and however, but it was most not good finding out that path find did not work, but the other syntaxes did work. That was a problem, not the area separation.

Let me make it more clear: While standing in v45380 Over innards.

path find 45413
    You cannot figure out how to get there from here.
    Use the command LANDMARKS to see what you can speedwalk to.
    You can try using PATH SHORTEST <landmark> instead to include hostile locations.

vs

path shortest 45413
    Distance to 'a hill with entrails': 1 Steps.
    Path: e
    Use PATH GO to travel there.

That's not some area issue, or timing issue, or any other issue other than pathing yields two different results based on which syntax method was used to search. For next time, all or none, please.
    Doesn't this just mean you were on the edge of one area, and the other room was on the opposing side of the split?

Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited March 2018
    No, Shaddus. The same result happens from all adjacent rooms.

Edit:
    >--------------------------[ Changelog Entry #1321 ]--------------------------<
       Entered by: Ianir the Anomaly                   Date: 2018-03-17 21:56:09
       o Fixed an issue with PATH SHORTEST bypassing rooms marked as mazes in
       cases it shouldn't (wheras PATH FIND would successfully fail or avoid
       them).

o Several Ascension-specific lag fixes related to mob tracking.

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------<

Thank you @Ianir
  • On balance, it was bane. I didn't like being simultaneously frozen, having SSC spam me, having a dreambeast wail on me, and not being able to do anything OOCly that might deal with any of these things. But I really did like the initial "wtf is going on? okay, we're doing X! EVERYBODY DO X!!". That was cool.
  • I loved it! Even though my side didn't win. Great way to shake things up. When I perceived the geomancer demesne was Ghani's, I found that so cool. And when I saw Ghani for the first time, as a pc, wielding his barbed cane of argent majesty and his twisted symbol of almighty dominion, I was sold for this event.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited March 2018
    Ah hah, so you were using path shortest.  I hadn't figured out what you were doing map-wise with the numbers, I only found about it when Ixion brought it up here.  That did let me figure out how the new area worked though, when I was post-Ascension-mapping the place.

Edit: Also, if not scrying, I would have been CROW TRACK spamming.  Someone can actually follow me when I crow track, and can enter the command to land;attack on the same balance.  Probably would have been even better, looking back on it.
    Estarra said:
    Kagato said:
    ... it being a rush to secure X number of hits on an NPC. 
    What NPC?
    Sorry, wasn't able to actively participate, so wasn't sure if Ghani was represented by a denizen/NPC or someone as an actual player-character.

• I loved the first part where there new sphere was revealed (well except for the SSC spam but that got fixed so thank you!) including the totally getting owned by Magnagora because I decided to break their meld on my own. However once the entire battle inside the heart started it was very frustrating. The fact you could not communicate with prime made it harder to get newcomers to join as they did not know what to do, I don't think cutting communication like that should be done for an event of this scale. While I like the change of pace, I don't think this event was as inclusive as the other variation which I found unfortunate
  • is the new sphere still there?
  • Arix said:
    is the new sphere still there?
    Yep!
    Arix said:
    is the new sphere still there?
    Yup.  If what @Weiwae said to me is anything to go by, Ophiuchius is here to stay.

• what lives there?
  • Arix said:
    what lives there?
    Our shattered dreams
  • Arix said:
    what lives there?
    See

Shaddus said:

• Arix said:
    what lives there?
    Lots and lots of astral critters.
  • I really wasn't too big of a fan of this style. I always enjoyed the planning and coordination, and this one caused me to struggle to find my place in this Ascension. I know many echoed my thoughts how they did not feel like they really "participated" in this one. Thank you though for changing it up a bit, though these chaotic solo events usually aren't something I come to play.

• Nah, I'm with Xenthos on this one. The event was far from perfect, and I had several sense-of-humour failures last night. The fact that it was a genuine free-for-all was awesome. In previous years some Sealholders had absolutely no chance, so +1 to anything that opens it up a little.