General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Yikes, you're giving me lots of good reasons never to try Ubuntu, even though it's "the" distro. I run Parabola, Manjaro, and Mint right now. Mint never crashes. Manjaro is a step behind bleeding-edge, and does a pretty good job so far of avoiding problems. I accept that Parabola will occasionally need some work because it is bleeding edge.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    I feel like it's less a matter of don't run Ubuntu as it is don't let Portius set it up. I also have problems with Mint, just a different set of them.

I figure that if I keep learning things the hard way, eventually I'll hit the point where I can make things work.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Everiine said:
    Yikes, you're giving me lots of good reasons never to try Ubuntu, even though it's "the" distro. I run Parabola, Manjaro, and Mint right now. Mint never crashes. Manjaro is a step behind bleeding-edge, and does a pretty good job so far of avoiding problems. I accept that Parabola will occasionally need some work because it is bleeding edge.
    Eh, I've had bad luck with one of the Ubuntu updates, but generally found it was fine. Though using lubuntu now instead, and haven't had any problems with my current version.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
    Kethaera said:
    Eh, I've had bad luck with one of the Ubuntu updates, but generally found it was fine. Though using lubuntu now instead, and haven't had any problems with my current version.
    I like the idea, but not the look, of LXDE. Or XFCE. MATE and Cinnamon are where it's at for me.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

• @Portius just curious, but did you use the rolling upgrade path or did you do a fresh install. Because if you have non repository drivers or apps or even used make install once, it is better to fresh install a Debian derivative.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Upgrade, which I think was the problem. Fresh installed last night to fix things, but prior to that it was back in 15.1.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited March 2018
    Lilyin! said:
    I despise my coworkers. When they want off early I come in and they say "Thank you so much, I owe you." yet I can never get anyone to cover one day for me ever. I hate everything.
    Ugh, I know that feeling all too well.  More than once my boss, the franchiser of the shop I work in, has called me asking if I can work an extra shift because of one of the other people calling in sick.  Generally I do it because hey, extra hours - plus it sets a good example.  (disclosure: I'm a supervisor, working on a promotion to manager)

HOWEVER - whenever I myself am unwell, I end up stuck working unless I fork out money I don't have for a medical certificate because no one will return the freakin' favour.  It doesn't help that lately I have been put on opening shifts with a 7am or 8am start, making it even harder to find people to cover, since I need someone that has the appropriate skills to help with opening the shop (one skill being making the pizza dough - yes, I work at a pizza shop - and before anyone makes any snarky comments, yes I know anyone can 'make dough'.  Making GOOD dough however, is a completely different story.  I could spend hours going into detail about fine points like how too much or too little water can make the difference between having a soggy sponge-like or a dry, cardboard-like piece of pizza in your mouth)
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    I haven't slept properly in about a week or so now, getting maybe an hour or day if I'm lucky. I don't know what forgotten Sumerian sleep god I pissed off, but please stop, I cannot function with no balance and no rest, constantly twitching. I'll sacrifice a goat if I have to.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • Within one day of having the iPhone X with a screen protector and case I shatter the screen after being startled.
    IT FELL ON CARPET COME ON
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I'm convinced Apple's just using clear tissue paper stretched taut at this point.
  • And your warranty is void if you don't get apple to fix your phone, I need to switch back to Samsung.
  • It is highly likely I will be jobless come monday.
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    So looks like that we've another collegue (put their notice) that knew more then me. That... makes me the predominant surviving team member and de-facto lead, more or less overnight. I... am not sure I'm prepared for this. D:
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • When you ask someone if they'll read something that's less than a page typed... literally, three paragraphs, pick your favorite... And they agree. Then you ask about it a week and a half later and they give this rant about how busy they are, and their house is mess, etc, etc...

Just... if you don't want/don't have time for a request, don't agree to it. I only wanted an opinion, not a passive-aggressive guilt trip.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    Phone was stolen last night. -_-;;  Has apparently been switched off so that it can't be called or traced via GPS.  Since it has security set up on it, they basically stole an overpriced paperweight.  At least it was only a cheap ~$100 phone and not a top-of-the-line phone.  Still sucks since I need to buy a new phone now.
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • Been too busy to exist lately. Hope to fix that.
  • depression and self loathing are kicking my ass recently and the meds aren't seeming to help
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Two days in a row I've had issues with my character still being on after I close the window the Nexus client is in...I suppose I have to get used to actually qq'ing...
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
    I'm running on Pepsi and Hot Tamales. Even though I took 1.5 naps today and stayed in bed for 12 hours last night.

• What happened?
  • Enya said:
    What happened?
    Well, they were really gross, completely flat, and now I have a lot of useless batter to get rid of. I never knew the difference between good eggs and bad before now, but when I cracked these open, I immediately said, 'yep, those are bad eggs... but they're the only ones I have. How bad could this turn out?'

It's just not worth it... they're completely inedible.
  • How... how long were they in your fridge?

• Enya said:
    How... how long were they in your fridge?

Heh, only a week. According to the carton they aren't even supposed to be expired yet... but these things happen!
  • If you got them from the store and kept them in the fridge for a week, the problem wasn't your eggs being "old". Eggs don't really go bad from time like that, must have been bad eggs for some other reason.
  • Enya said:
    If you got them from the store and kept them in the fridge for a week, the problem wasn't your eggs being "old". Eggs don't really go bad from time like that, must have been bad eggs for some other reason.
    Sure they do. Not necessarily from being old(though that happens eventually), but from being stored at incorrect temperatures. Which, considering they were cheap, doesn't surprise me.
  • Some other countries don't even refrigerate eggs.
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• Tylwyth said:
    Some other countries don't even refrigerate eggs.
    England.
  • My mother always said not to refrigerate eggs because it makes them go back, just keep them in a cold cuboard.

I just googled it to see how true this was and found this:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/why-europeans-dont-refrigerate-eggs-2014-12

Sort of interesting the differences.