Hurricane Sandy thread

KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
Figured it would be worth making a thread where people can leave any messages for fellow lusternians or divine that may be living in the path of the hurricane due to make landfall in the Northeast soon, might also be worth also mentioning if you live in the path of the hurricane yourself, so that we know you are ok or have shifted if you are in its path.

In any case, if you are in one of the areas, make sure to take care and be safe!
Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?

Comments

• Why do these things always have women names... When am I going to turn on the news and see "Hurricane Grant strikes again"?

No in all seriousness I wish all those in the path the best, and hope they can be through it and online again soon.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited October 2012
    Kabina said:
    Why do these things always have women names... When am I going to turn on the news and see "Hurricane Grant strikes again"?

No in all seriousness I wish all those in the path the best, and hope they can be through it and online again soon.
    I have several possible reasonings behind it, but all of them would make me look chauvinistic and probably put my wellbeing at risk, so I'll keep my mouth shut
    b-( :-\"
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I'm in Central Virginia, so we don't expect things to be quite as bad as if we were on the coast. This is the first time my family has been completely prepared for a storm (generator, candles, flashlights, etc), though, so we're thinking karmic forces will cause the storm to skip us.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    edited October 2012
    Kabina said:
    Why do these things always have women names... When am I going to turn on the news and see "Hurricane Grant strikes again"?

////////////////it won't let me quote properly again bluhhh I almost didn't have to edit this post////////////////There's actually a whole system for naming storms! They rotate between lists of names every year. The lists go alphabetically and switch between male and female names every letter. I for one am excited for the possibility of Hurricane Humberto in 2013. This may or may not be due to a love of alliteration, and not so much a love of hurricanes. You have to admit, it's a rather fetching name.

I'm in Maryland, and it is currently rainy enough that my backyard appears to have a river running through its lowest point. Thankfully I'm not near any real bodies of water; I think the most I'm in danger of is a tree in the woods behind my house falling down, or the power going out (no!!! ...but I'll live.) Hope people who are in danger areas stay safe. I love you all and want you to be okay! Even if you're a jerk, or you don't like me much. Still care about you and your well-being as a person, sucker.
  • edited October 2012
    Stay safe all of you.  I've been outside in a few very harsh typhoons, it's one hell of an experience.
    Stangmar - Retired

• Kabina said:

Actually, three of the most damaging hurricanes in recent history have been weighted male - Hugo and Andrew, and then Katrina. Sandy is just out there to prove Gender Equality is important on every level.

I was in Miami for Andrew - I was about five at the time, but I can still close my eyes and remember the walls collapsing inwards, the sound of the furniture on the second floor being yanked out of the building, the roof being pulled apart bit by bit. I remember going out into the living room during the eye of the storm and there being two inches of standing water, broken glass everywhere, bits of neighbros' houses lodged in the walls and kitchen, the deep end of the swimming pool was filled with sand (the deep end, not the shallow end..). We went outside, and half the neighborhood was just piles of wood and cement. We waited out the remainder of the storm in the garage. After it had passed, I remember my mother and I going for a walk around the neighborhood and just everything was gone and weird and different (I found a camera at one point and played with it until it fell apart, heh). Most the cars were ruined, shingles turned into projectiles that cut through them like butter.

Scary experience. Keep inside, stay in sturdy rooms with no windows (bathrooms and closets often work for this) if it gets scary and make sure you have plenty of water and canned food.

And beer.

And sit on the porch and watch when you can, because Mother Nature is a scary bitch when she has a show to put on.
  • Be safe everyone. Bless you.

I am in Northeast Ohio, not sure if it's coming here but we should be alright.
  • Actually, three of the most damaging hurricanes in recent history have been weighted male - Hugo and Andrew, and then Katrina. Sandy is just out there to prove Gender Equality is important on every level.

Scary experience. Keep inside, stay in sturdy rooms with no windows (bathrooms and closets often work for this) if it gets scary and make sure you have plenty of water and canned food.

And beer.

And sit on the porch and watch when you can, because Mother Nature is a scary bitch when she has a show to put on.
    Actually, Katrina is a female name :P  Unless you meant to say 2 of the 3 were male.

And yes, if safe, watch the show.  Just because your world is being torn apart doesn't mean you can't enjoy the show.  I used to have a video somewhere of Typhoon Parma(to date the most destructive typhoon to hit the Philippines in terms of $$ damage), that I took from the balcony of my apartment about half a mile from the shore of the South China Sea.  It was a wonder to behold.
    Stangmar - Retired

• I am in Maryland and dead in Sandy's path. Tonight, I'll be driving 30 minutes to work through torrential downpour. They're setting me up in a nearby hotel once my shift ends at 4am.

Yeah... I'm not looking forward to this.
  • edited October 2012
    Shikari said:
    I am in Maryland and dead in Sandy's path. Tonight, I'll be driving 30 minutes to work through torrential downpour. They're setting me up in a nearby hotel once my shift ends at 4am.

Yeah... I'm not looking forward to this.

Sorry to hear that Shikari, I hope you get back safely, and the Hotel is nice. Remember to use up the Private Mini Bar! And order lots of food.

• Stangmar said:
    Actually, three of the most damaging hurricanes in recent history have been weighted male - Hugo and Andrew, and then Katrina. Sandy is just out there to prove Gender Equality is important on every level.

And beer.

Actually, Katrina is a female name :P  Unless you meant to say 2 of the 3 were male.

And yes, if safe, watch the show.  Just because your world is being torn apart doesn't mean you can't enjoy the show.  I used to have a video somewhere of Typhoon Parma(to date the most destructive typhoon to hit the Philippines in terms of $$ damage), that I took from the balcony of my apartment about half a mile from the shore of the South China Sea.  It was a wonder to behold.
    I said "weighted male" - not "entirely male"! Two male, one female. Thus why Sandy is just ensuring gender equality and evening things out. :)
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I had a teacher in high school named Sandy. He was a he. It is not an exclusively feminine name.

Also, my understanding is that they alternate between 'male' and 'female' names with each new storm, and they are thus labeled before it is known how strong they will be. No gender conspiracies to be found!

That said; I was supposed to be driving south to Albany tomorrow for a customer demo. Luckily this has been delayed.

Instead, I get to wait for Sandy to come to me.
  • This hotel is actually quite awesome. Too bad the restaurants surrounding it are all closed. :(
  • Shikari said:
    This hotel is actually quite awesome. Too bad the restaurants surrounding it are all closed. :(
    :( Be safe and not hungry!
  • Xenthos said:

I had a teacher in high school named Sandy. He was a he. It is not an exclusively feminine name.

Also, my understanding is that they alternate between 'male' and 'female' names with each new storm, and they are thus labeled before it is known how strong they will be. No gender conspiracies to be found!

That said; I was supposed to be driving south to Albany tomorrow for a customer demo. Luckily this has been delayed.

Instead, I get to wait for Sandy to come to me.

This Sandy is female - the last storm was Rafael, and before him Patty!

• Eventru said:
    This Sandy is female - the last storm was Rafael, and before him Patty!
    Looking over these names I have to think someone somewhere was very bored because some of these are... strange to say the least. I'm also slightly saddened I heard nothing of Hurricane Kirk.

Still, stay safe ya'll. And perhaps ignore Eventru's suggestion to go stare into the storm.

.oO---~---Oo.

"Perfect. Please move quickly to the next post, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the signature are not part of this test."

NARF!

• Must be something that people in Florida do. I remember looking out the lanai watching the lake when Wilma hit. This poor little family of ducks tried all day to cross the lake only to be swept all the way back to the middle once they were 7/8ths the way there. And yeah, I remember Andrew. I was around the same age, scary stuff even though I wasn't in the direct path. Hope everyone stays safe and gets through it alright.
  • A tree fell on my house, and then I survived 2 weeks without power. (Technically 14 days and 13 nights). Just got it back, so I thought I would check in. Craziness. Hope the rest of you LI/NYC/Jersey people coped alright.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • Talan said:
    A tree fell on my house, and then I survived 2 weeks without power. (Technically 14 days and 13 nights). Just got it back, so I thought I would check in. Craziness. Hope the rest of you LI/NYC/Jersey people coped alright.
    Glad you're okay!

• Talan said:
    A tree fell on my house, and then I survived 2 weeks without power. (Technically 14 days and 13 nights). Just got it back, so I thought I would check in. Craziness. Hope the rest of you LI/NYC/Jersey people coped alright.
    Glad you're safe! Welcome back to civilization.

Don't ever leave us again.