Been away for a few days, which is why I didn't create this thread sooner, but here's one dedicated to my pet peeve: Nexus guardians! I love the thought behind it, but the implementation is extremely clunky. I'm not going to post a log here, but I made a pastebin of a small testing session: http://pastebin.com/wZCw8njM
Some notable things:
- Doing anything at all, as long as it's not guard specific, will make you lose control of your guardian. This includes clan chats. Since clans are generally where the combat discussions happens mid-raid, this is... well... very bad.
- No feedback. The only reason I even noticed I was attacked was because I had masochism turned on.
- If you lose control of your guardian, when you next become the guardian, it's transported back to the Nexus, which means you'd have to get back to the group before being able to take part in the defence again.
- No looking when you move around. Sure, that can be coded around, but moving around blind is a bit odd.
- It only lasts for 100 IC days, or about 4 RL days. Raids don't happen often enough to warrant 200 power for that.
So... solutions. The easiest (conceptually, at least) is to make nexus guardians work the same as aetherships. You lock into the guardian, and then you can use it to move around while chatting on clans and whatnot. That'd mean you'd actually be in the room inside the guardian, and there'd be no cheap tricks to transport the guardian back to the nexus (by losing control and becoming the guardian again). It would also allow you to remove the binding between owner and user; if the construct is destroyed, whoever is in it dies.
When it comes to the power cost, I feel it'd be easier to not have the guardian drain power over time, or at least at a vastly reduced pace (like, one power per IC month or so). Instead, the power would be used to control the guardian; for instance, webbing the target would use one power.
The big issue here is, of course, that I'm not sure this would make them used more often. However, in the state they're in right now, they simply cannot be used without a lot of annoyance; changing them around would at least make them possible to be used.
So... thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?