8 Hours is too long.

Comments

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Kelly said:
    My opinion is that whether there is or is not gold is not going to impact raiding frequency at all (and certainly does not affect an order's ability to counteract the raid). The substantial gold drops only occur when realms have not been raided after some time and the mobs have recouped the gold, and so a realm that is being raided with any regularity is not going to produce overwhelmingly appreciable returns.
    This would be true if raiding Eventru at least once every 24 hours didn't net you 600 gold a mob average, those priestesses are richer than gutter zombies.

It's not needed, other realms don't have gold, so neither should these? Now consider this is coming from someone who actively benefits from them having gold, and is saying it's better to remove it, it's not like I'm asking for something that works out in my favour.

Also I find it funny you talk about Celest "putting up with" the odd raid every 24-48 hours (which after OOC complaining I've had, haven't happened in a week) round the clock Mag raids throughout 2012 much? Speaking of which to get something off my chest: 

Kelly said:
    Also not to throw this entirely off-topic, and just to name names as me being the "incredibly griefy bigger Celestian", if I really wanted to cause grief I would be actively looking for people to jump. I don't ever scry with intent of finding someone to grief, nor purposefully roam bashing areas in search of victims (Morkarion). 
    Funny, I started doing what I did after seeing the amount of deathsights from you jumping people in Limbo. That I come across people while checking Astral nodes, is no different to you seeing Kio on who and charging across 3 planes with company just to kill him. And scrying people like Tridemon who loves to unweave gates and mess about in Glom/Gaudi/Mag villages, or people who roam Astral like you and Saoirse is hardly tantamount to using it to look for grief targets. But hey, don't let me stop you rewriting history, or from talking like I'm the only person who does it. Then again that's nothing new really, it's alright for one side to do things (and seriously for someone who tried to "discourage" it, you sure turned up yourself enough times) but the other side does it in retaliation and you're suddenly playing the justification card.

Anyway, off topic clarifcation aside, I still think the suggestion of half time on empower/questing to the 8 hour respawns on death timer, and a removal of gold is the way to go. Gold is easy enough to get elsewhere in this game if you want cash, raid Godrealms because you've reason to do so.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    I don't know what you're quoting in the context of me talking about "putting up with" raids. I haven't complained about the current raiding situation, and I have even affirmed that the Mag godrealm raiding was excessive and that I encouraged it to be tempered on an OOC level, because I think that these types of situations are where players need to show some restraint, a sentiment that is historically ruined by select individuals. And so it is unsurprising that the Admin turned to mechanical solutions to curb it before it may have gotten out of hand.

I don't want to clutter up this thread by trying to defend my e-honor from all of the apparent gripes about my supposed griefing, and so if anyone has lingering heartburn I am open to private discussion. But I will just say that I don't actively seek to jump (you cannot see "who" from three planes away); if I happen to walk past an enemy and I'm not over my head, yeah, I'm probably going to hit that.

Also because Morkarion feels victimized, I will clarify that he is not the only one who has done it, but was just referenced as an example.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    (you cannot see "who" from three planes away)

You can with a scrying mirror, just as a slight derail. It's how I knew Shedrin was defiling a shrine on a bubble earlier, for example. Busted!

On topic - I don't know what the best solution is, I just know that 8 hours seems more frustrating than the godmobs dying, but knowing they'll return in 4 hours. I want to farm Morgfyre ikons! (As soon as Antreus stops being a jerk and lends me his damned spectacles again, hmph.)

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Kio said:
    Personally, I get pretty upset when three people - all distinguished fighters - jump me as I'm linking on Astral and trying to get Demi. I scent on every attack against a mob. When a whole group of people are suddenly hitting me in between the three seconds it takes to scent again and then chase me across two spheres while I'm just trying to get away, yea, I have a little angst built up about it. Maybe I shouldn't.

I'm sorry that you get upset that you get ganked after raiding. It's kind of like you running to Muckle to gank me with 5 other people in full Mysrai shrine powers. Not saying I didn't deserve it (I totally do, no qualms whatsoever), but it seems kind of like a double standard. It's ok for you to come gank me with a posse (I wasn't doing anything, I actually just got caught trying to get to the plex, very silly), but you get upset when 3 people gank you after a raid on astral?

If you're raiding, you are asking to get jumped. You deserve it, it's one of the risks that comes with raiding. Getting upset for it is something you need to either get over, or stop raiding. Are there differences in these situations, yes, definitely, but the general idea is the same. Raiding means you are welcoming PK and all that comes with it.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Eh, you get jumped even if you don't go raiding.

Some people just like to jump.
  • Synkarin said:
    Kio said:
    Personally, I get pretty upset when three people - all distinguished fighters - jump me as I'm linking on Astral and trying to get Demi. I scent on every attack against a mob. When a whole group of people are suddenly hitting me in between the three seconds it takes to scent again and then chase me across two spheres while I'm just trying to get away, yea, I have a little angst built up about it. Maybe I shouldn't.

I'm sorry that you get upset that you get ganked after raiding. It's kind of like you running to Muckle to gank me with 5 other people in full Mysrai shrine powers. Not saying I didn't deserve it (I totally do, no qualms whatsoever), but it seems kind of like a double standard. It's ok for you to come gank me with a posse (I wasn't doing anything, I actually just got caught trying to get to the plex, very silly), but you get upset when 3 people gank you after a raid on astral?

If you're raiding, you are asking to get jumped. You deserve it, it's one of the risks that comes with raiding. Getting upset for it is something you need to either get over, or stop raiding. Are there differences in these situations, yes, definitely, but the general idea is the same. Raiding means you are welcoming PK and all that comes with it.
    Hey now.  When I was jumped, not a single raid had happened while I was online within two days.  I know this because I was around 40% of the way through Titan, and was secretly praying the raid-silence would stick around.

As to coming to you on Muckle, I heard the call on a clan and answered it, assuming you had come back up to defile or something.  I even stayed around after everyone but Thul had left, hunting and keeping an eye on things.

About the whole upset thing, it's already been admitted, apologized for, and worked through.  So you can put that back in your pocket.  (Hrm.  I'm not sure if this comes off as me being not so civil.  Apologies if it does.)
    Kio said:
    Synkarin said:
    Kio said:

Hey now.  When I was jumped, not a single raid had happened while I was online within two days.  I know this because I was around 40% of the way through Titan, and was secretly praying the raid-silence would stick around.

As to coming to you on Muckle, I heard the call on a clan and answered it, assuming you had come back up to defile or something.  I even stayed around after everyone but Thul had left, hunting and keeping an eye on things.

About the whole upset thing, it's already been admitted, apologized for, and worked through.  So you can put that back in your pocket.  (Hrm.  I'm not sure if this comes off as me being not so civil.  Apologies if it does.)
    It doesn't matter, you raided, you're fair game to jump. It doesn't matter if it was two days or two weeks. You can't complain about one, then do the other. 

Also, I don't think you're being uncivil, I'm also trying to be civil also. Just strikes me as a double standard. 

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    Synkarin said:
    Kio said:
    Synkarin said:
    Kio said:

It doesn't matter, you raided, you're fair game to jump. It doesn't matter if it was two days or two weeks. You can't complain about one, then do the other. 

Also, I don't think you're being uncivil, I'm also trying to be civil also. Just strikes me as a double standard. 
    So when you say "stop raiding," how long do you feel one needs to not raid for?
    Xenthos said:
    Synkarin said:
    Kio said:
    Synkarin said:
    Kio said:

forever

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    That does kind of make "stop raiding" rather difficult then, doesn't it?  Can't stop unless you started, and that busts 'forever' right up!
    you can stop raiding forever, it just means you can't ever raid again.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    Synkarin said:
    you can stop raiding forever, it just means you can't ever raid again.
    Well, then I guess my question is still valid: How long does one have to go without raiding for it to be accepted as "forever"?  2 weeks is pretty short, as you say.
    depends on the person, some people hold grudges longer. Trying to confuse things doesn't really do anything to change the overall point. If you raid, you should expect to get jumped. It's that simple.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    edited June 2013
    Synkarin said:
    depends on the person, some people hold grudges longer. Trying to confuse things doesn't really do anything to change the overall point. If you raid, you should expect to get jumped. It's that simple.
    That just brings it back to my point that some people just like to jump, really.  Sure, "you raided us a year ago" might provide some veneer of justification, but in the end it really just boils down to an excuse to do what the person wanted to do anyways (and for which they could have easily found another).

Basically, if you play the game you should expect to get jumped.  It's that simple. 

I mean, even Xiran got jumped from time to time, back when she was a complete pacifist.

Edit: That's not saying it's "good" or "bad," but that it will happen regardless of whether you raid or not.  It may happen less, but as you point out it depends completely on the players.  Personally I'm not a fan of jumping, which is why you tend to not see me doing so, but again- that's up to personal preference.

• Synkarin said:
    Xenthos said:
    Synkarin said:
    Kio said:
    Synkarin said:
    Kio said:

forever
    Sorry I just wanted to quote the endless quote to feel cool

06/30/2014 19:37 Silvanus channels the power of the Megalith of Doom for you, stripping you of your Vernal Ascendant status.......bastard!!

Xenthos said:

mi
    Synkarin said:

That just brings it back to my point that some people just like to jump, really.  Sure, "you raided us a year ago" might provide some veneer of justification, but in the end it really just boils down to an excuse to do what the person wanted to do anyways (and for which they could have easily found another).

Basically, if you play the game you should expect to get jumped.  It's that simple. 

I mean, even Xiran got jumped from time to time, back when she was a complete pacifist.

Edit: That's not saying it's "good" or "bad," but that it will happen regardless of whether you raid or not.  It may happen less, but as you point out it depends completely on the players.  Personally I'm not a fan of jumping, which is why you tend to not see me doing so, but again- that's up to personal preference.

You are pretty much agreeing with me, just making a broader statement. I would only contest that you have more of a right to get upset had you never raided vs getting jumped after raiding.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Ignoring the banters....

1) Lower mob experience values, influence/bashing both.

2) Make them all notably weaker as a result. (not always health, some, like merian, should prolly not cause off eq that stacks).

3) Remove gold entirely from them.

I would also propose we work on conflict mechanics in general as godrealms are the best place to do it.
    I'm not entirely sure about points 1 and 2. Remember realms are mainly a reward for the Order, without them being giant invincible safe-havens off prime anymore, they aren't excessive with the essence they're worth to empower. Also worth pointing out the essence they give from killing is less than going hunting at the end game level.

I'm not the biggest fan of stacking balance/eq attacks in general, personally I'd like to see stacking capabilities cap out or come with a brief immunity period, that being said it's entirely possible to clear Eventru's realm solo, yes large clumps pose a risk and give the defender the advantage, but if you're a well planned raiding party that advantage is greatly reduced. I've no objections to defenders having some small "home field" advantages to defending a Godrealm, they're not instigating the situation, and adding a small measure of support as an incentive is more likely to encourage combat than put off the thought for attackers.

On a side note, said Merians feel squisher these days, did they get a HP nerf?

Fully support 3.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Obviously we just need to delete Trueheal/Lich/Choke.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Leolamins said:

Synkarin said:
    Xenthos said:
    Synkarin said:
    Kio said:
    Synkarin said:
    Kio said:

forever
    Sorry I just wanted to quote the endless quote to feel cool
    +1
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Kio said:
     I want ways to undermine Celest and Serenwilde that aren't constantly sitting in their realms, getting bored, and then leaving and calling it a "win." Maybe it's my newbieness showing. 
    Yeah, I'm going to skip ahead and post this. Again, the problem here (As I see it) is that people are using god-realms and god-realm raiding to vent frustrations with a system that doesn't allow much meaningful conflict. All you have is bore-offs and stakeouts that last until someone gives up or a huge swarm of overpowering combatants descends and ends the matter.

I'm curious what makes you say that raiding realms is the only thing that has a point... you realize it doesn't actually do anything, right? No essence is lost if fighters just don't show up, the order will literally have a better essence track if they never ever defend their realm.

I suspect that some of the top combatants that jump people are doing it for the reason @Xenthos brought up: people just like to jump. More specifically, people who are top combatants often are top combatants because they find it fun, and enjoy being capable. If you take away their power to make a meaningful impact/contribution, they're going to find other arenas of combat where they can still get that feeling of power/capability/skill, which would be the jumping. All other areans of combat don't often see combat unless the sides are evenly matched, which doesn't happen so often. 
  • If you're asking me, when I say realms, I mean stuff like Celestia or Etherseren. I probably should have used the term planes. Either way, raiding god realms feels productive to me because we're actually doing stuff. Sure, it's just slaughtering loyals, but it at least feels like I'm doing something. I don't know if killing them really does anything. Like I said, I'm totally new to this stuff.

Sitting at Etherserens archway after killing four mobs and hoping people come out is just a waste of time. But, like I've mentioned, I've never seen a raid last more than thirty or fourty-five minutes, so I don't really understand the whole concept of people camping them for hours. Any raid I've been on has come down to "okay guys, we did our thing and they don't want to defend, let's just leave."
  • While you can hit groups of 8+, the mobs would need to be toned down considerably. There is a reason most Eventru defenses are spammed gust/tackle/springs into a group of Merian. They are just so consistantly powerful and their massive hindering abilities can keep you from fighting back.  If we do not want to make them a fair bit weaker they should lose off eq entirely and replace it with a normal damage attack.

Is conflict a large enough issue we are ready to actually look at conflict in the Basin as a whole?

Fights go to Godrealms because its a normal essence loss vs like 10 times higher loss on celestia, water, and other territories.  Godrealms also do not have free distort, ripple/flux/liveforest, or such.  Why do godrealms become raiding zones?  Because the original zones are all high risk, no reward (killing daughters/ladies drains no power, does nothing.  Angels/demons lose a littl epower but nothing of note).   There is not motivation to go anywhere but realms now.  If we want to fix conflict, I am all for it! We could even use neat mechanics to encourage smaller groups.

But that would be a whole nother topic.
  • I find it interesting to see that 'fix conflict' generally refers to 'allow us to camp raid enemy planes again' (what with the many negative references to discretionary powers). Is the playerbase in agreement that that was a good set-up, now?
    If it's broken, break it some more.
  • TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    There's always been a disagreement depending on a combination of one's tolerance/enjoyment of fighting and how well their side is doing.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • I find it interesting to see that 'fix conflict' generally refers to 'allow us to camp raid enemy planes again' (what with the many negative references to discretionary powers). Is the playerbase in agreement that that was a good set-up, now?

I'm fairly certain that most posts regarding "fix conflict" have suggested the opposite, looking for ways to improve conflict elsewhere to give us more meaningful routes than 'camp raid enemies planes again.'
  • Huge losses against free discretionary powers is not the same thing as camp raids.   Leave the effect of invaders going crazy on enemy planes, just either change the defenses and give a reason for raiding, or greatly reduce the raid and then improve the reason to raid!

You can fix things without making it long term camping. We will see if the general idea is to fix conflict or not though.
  • Shikari was raided because of Morkarion. That was fun.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited June 2013
    Malarious said:
    Fights go to Godrealms because its a normal essence loss vs like 10 times higher loss on celestia, water, and other territories.  Godrealms also do not have free distort, ripple/flux/liveforest, or such. 
    Cosmic, Elemental and Ethereal planes only have free discretionaries if a city/commune has the appropriate constructs built.  (incidentally, there was a short period when Celest had NO aetherbubbles.) Any other time, raising discretionaries costs 250 power, which in Celest if you do not report the reason it is counted as a power debt that you have to pay back.  This basically means it is a toss-up between having discretionaries up regularly and burning power for possibly no reason, or keeping your fingers crossed that a Celestine is awake to ripple if a group happens to raid Celestia.

That being said, Godrealms DO have malevolentemanations if you have a cult avatar or enough cult members awake that have high enough veneration to cast it - I'm not sure how effective that is though since I have never been on the receiving end of it.
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
    edited June 2013
    Hiriako said:
    Shikari was raided because of Morkarion. That was fun.
    No complaints there, you turned up shortly after I hit Maylea for Barrin kicking Daughters and running. That was pretty much 3 raids (ok 2 and a hit and run) in almost as many hours.

Also means I've now gone and stuck eyeballs everywhere to watch for future fights, yay for conflict!