8 Hours is too long.

13»

Comments

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Kagato said:
    That being said, Godrealms DO have malevolentemanations if you have a cult avatar or enough cult members awake that have high enough veneration to cast it - I'm not sure how effective that is though since I have never been on the receiving end of it.
    I've always wondered WHY Faragan never uses this, he just pops truesermon.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Hey, those were good little raids, Mork. Good, fun combat. Nobody too massively outnumbered on one side or the other. I even enjoyed trying to stay alive and kill in that 3 on 1!
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited June 2013
    Morkarion said:
    Kagato said:
    That being said, Godrealms DO have malevolentemanations if you have a cult avatar or enough cult members awake that have high enough veneration to cast it - I'm not sure how effective that is though since I have never been on the receiving end of it.
    He usually does - MalevolentEmanations requires 4 cult members to cast though if he is not around, which is surprisingly difficult to gather at times despite how big the cult is
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • Kagato said:
    Malarious said:
    Fights go to Godrealms because its a normal essence loss vs like 10 times higher loss on celestia, water, and other territories.  Godrealms also do not have free distort, ripple/flux/liveforest, or such. 
    Cosmic, Elemental and Ethereal planes only have free discretionaries if a city/commune has the appropriate constructs built.  (incidentally, there was a short period when Celest had NO aetherbubbles.) Any other time, raising discretionaries costs 250 power, which in Celest if you do not report the reason it is counted as a power debt that you have to pay back.  This basically means it is a toss-up between having discretionaries up regularly and burning power for possibly no reason, or keeping your fingers crossed that a Celestine is awake to ripple if a group happens to raid Celestia.

Too bad power is so plentiful or the cost might mean something.  If Glomdoring lost all of its aetherbubbles we could still afford to use powers RL months in a row off conquest pool.  You dont need to perma ripple, do it once or twice, and insanity works even with powers.
    From what I understand, Celest's intent to raise a VA along with a lack of significant political hold in recent times has been a drain on their power.

Hell they don't even have Guards at the pool on Prime anymore.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    That may also be due to the fact that they don't need guards on Prime. Who is going to come raid the pool, and get there before statues alert everyone? 
  • Yeah, let's not assume everyone has Glomdoring's access to resources (villages, domoths, constructs). 250p over the long run is a lot for a few orgs. It may not put them in negative, but it will certainly slow down their ability to raise VAs.
    If it's broken, break it some more.
  • Enyalida, if you don't have yellson, statues don't alert people, I thought? Or do they say something on CT? Because the mag squad goes into Celest sometimes just to try and kill random things or do timed instas on people AFK at the pool now. Plus we can fly past statues, or use necromancy darkchant ghost.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Marcella said:
    Enyalida, if you don't have yellson, statues don't alert people, I thought? Or do they say something on CT? Because the mag squad goes into Celest sometimes just to try and kill random things or do timed instas on people AFK at the pool now. Plus we can fly past statues, or use necromancy darkchant ghost.
    Specs give you away everytime

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    edited June 2013
    Hiriako said:
    Hey, those were good little raids, Mork. Good, fun combat. Nobody too massively outnumbered on one side or the other. I even enjoyed trying to stay alive and kill in that 3 on 1!
    I don't deny they were tbh, that tiny skirmish is one of the more fun fights in recent times, my only gripe was the event that started all this, because there was barely time to react before he'd gone.

Tbh short of fighting really cheese setups 1v1 I've started to grow fond of small skirmish over bigger engagements, there's more pressure on me to use a full arsenal but it's more fun as opposed to simply call target and hackdown till their head comes off. Still prefer to avoid a few really cheese class/setups where mechanics simply bring so much of an advantage you're walking uphill in the snow for very little gain, but overall it's still a more enjoyable experience.

• KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    RE Guards/Discretionaries: It may be considered basic for most orgs to have guards at their Prime nexus, because most orgs (i.e., all that are not Celest or Gaudiguch) have Conquest pools that probably lend to having "free" whatever-ridiculous-guard-clump-you-can-imagine. In our case, nexus guards are just invitations for influence spam and are pretty useless, my personal opinion!
    But influence spam gives you esteem which you need for dusting all those shrines!

• Or feeling good about yourself!
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Influencing is the only reason Serenwilde bothers with guards, for the most part. We have some on Ethereal because every so often, we do get someone with them, but on Prime there isn't any point. Nothing really raidable is at our nexus, and we have so many entrances we can't have a totem at every one, much less a guard cluster of any size. 
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    I'll clarify that having guards for influencing is only a real annoyance when you're otherwise paying for them out of your Nexus power, and not from a Conquest pool. If I had a Conquest pool, I'd want to summon a bunch just for influencing, too!
    Kelly said:
    I'll clarify that having guards for influencing is only a real annoyance when you're otherwise paying for them out of your Nexus power, and not from a Conquest pool. If I had a Conquest pool, I'd want to summon a bunch just for influencing, too!
    Funny, I had come to this idea a couple of days ago, make an esteem factory for shrine defiling figurines!

• Eh, even for non conquest orgs, spending the power for guards isn't at all that expensive. I can't remember how much power religious villages generate. Conquest villages generate 1000 power each into the conquest pool, which can't be used for anything else (the villages generate around 10 each to the normal power pool). My impression is that religious villages generate more (supposedly) than the other government type which I can't remember now, merchant or something, but not for the conquest pool, instead straight into the normal power pool. If I'm right, it means that conquest governments don't get any kind of "free" guards or whatever. All the power that is used for them come from the exact same source as a religious government's. The advantage of conquest governments is that it's easier to generate feelings. For Celest's current situation, with zero villages, it may make your powerlog summary look like it's in the negative for a while. But Celest also had a substantial period during their upswing where they were holding almost half of all the villages.

Not having guards at prime pool isn't a bad thing. It's entirely your prerogative whether or not to maintain guards. However, conquest governments don't get it better or "free-er" in any sense of those words where power usage for guards are concerned. Especially considering all those power is locked into security uses, and will disappear if the government switches away from conquest. To say that Glomdoring has somehow access to more "resources" which makes maintaining guard clumps for Celest to be a great deal more burdensome is an overstatement. If there's a difference, it's small at best.

• AFAIK, Religious governments produce less than 1000 normal power. According to HELP GOVERNMENT, Benign has an additional bonus towards power production for Conquest, hence the hefty 1000 conquest power.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Pretty sure that despotic religious is pretty close to that, and its power can be used for anything.
  • Why would you go despotic? It's already tedious to build feelings as it is, heh. Then again, why would you go Religious when Benign Conquest is so much easier...
    Why would you go despotic? It's already tedious to build feelings as it is, heh. Then again, why would you go Religious when Benign Conquest is so much easier...
    To give people more encouragement for influencing those villagers, of course.  Just think of all that esteem!
  • Right, villages are such a hot place for exp/esteem. 
  • edited June 2013
    Morkarion said:
    Kagato said:
    He usually does - MalevolentEmanations requires 4 cult members to cast though if he is not around, which is surprisingly difficult to gather at times despite how big the cult is
    Frankly, at least at the hours I'm around, it's usually only me and maybe Faragan on in the Order, let alone cults. 
    We do lose essence for each priestess killed, not sure if anybody addressed that comment earlier on - it would be great if we could defend and stop them killing, but usually, there's nobody who has a clue what they're doing. I'm lucky if I can get infidel off, let alone inquisition in even a small group. I don't find it attractive. I don't enjoy combat - I have recently gotten m&m for the sole purpose of dying less quickly in combat so I might be able to help a bit more, but I still don't enjoy it, I still get frustrated really easily, and frankly, still have no interest in learning to kill better. For some of us, having godrealm mobs every eight hours is an eight-hour rotation where I have to think about influencing all of that entire realm to save the rest of us from spam on otells (lately). I really don't complain about it much. It's annoying, but if I ignore it long enough, they'll get bored and stop.
    I don't raid, I have been on one serious raid (that I recall) in my entire time playing this game since it opened. I get my fulfillment in this game from RP, designing, politics (which is really a more creative and variable form of combat some days). Yes, I can CONFIG LOYALSAYS OFF. However, it doesn't fit with being a devout follower of this or that Lord or Lady to just ignore their loyals being killed - even acknowledgement is better than completely ignoring it.
    I honestly don't see a way to 'fix combat' because to 'fix combat' means something different to different groups of players. Every change upsets a different group. Prime is safe! Off-prime is fair game, though! Okay, so let's raid off-prime. Hey, this is fun. Let's stay here because they keep coming up. Okay, wait, no this isn't fun for US, let's change it. Huge essence/xp loss! Insanity! Powers! Not enough alone, but with defenders, it'll do it! (sometimes) Okay, let's not raid cosmic planes anymore, let's just hit and run elementals constantly. People get bored and stop defending THAT pretty quickly. I know, let's raid godrealms. Excellent. This one actually annoys people who can't do anything about it. Walk into Eventru's realm - be jumped by five or more people. Okay. Don't walk in. Get killed outside by someone who doesn't care about avenger. Okay. Don't bother to go defend - hide in manse or newsroom.
     Speaking as myself, I've frankly been trained over the years to simply ignore elemental raids. Okay, we lose the Tide/Air/Earth/Fire Lords again. Not as much power from essence? Oh well. Beats dying ten times like Tridemon does some days. Ignore godrealm raids unless others are coming to defend.
    Sure, I wouldn't be a big loss if I quit the game - but sometimes, constant raiding does make me think about quitting. It doesn't matter which org I'm in - I've been in all of them (admittedly, not personally seen Hallifax being roflstomped yet, but I'm sure it'll happen while I'm in it eventually). It has still yet to make me want to learn combat, and if anything, it usually makes me want to avoid places where I might be even possibly be jumped.
    But, to get back on topic - there's really no simple fix. For a realm that has been raided several times a day in recent history, I just turn off loyalsays, even if it makes me feel slightly guilty. It's rare that they get every single priestess, which makes my life a little simpler when I do need them for quests. Were I still doing the earlier Order quests, I would be more frustrated. If it's simply a matter of not having order mobs to influence for those quests, you could consider having a few inside temple areas that just aren't raidable. 
    Some days, I honestly wish it was as simple as a pvp flag like WoW has. That, at least, would save the pain for some of us and make things simpler on others.
    I know, won't happen. But it would be nice. *daydream*
    Edit: I have no idea why it all went in quotes. Apparently I fail at quoting.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Marcella said:
    Enyalida, if you don't have yellson, statues don't alert people, I thought? Or do they say something on CT? Because the mag squad goes into Celest sometimes just to try and kill random things or do timed instas on people AFK at the pool now. Plus we can fly past statues, or use necromancy darkchant ghost.
    I'm sorry, are you referring to you and Nilofer as the Mag Squad? :D
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Yes. Yes I am. You're just jealous. :D
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Obviously, empowering guards needs to give power to the nexus.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Shaddus said:
    Obviously, empowering guards needs to give power to the nexus.
    I can only laugh at how game-breakingly hilarious this would be.
  • When something with a power cost gives power on influence? I can see the stacks of 500 guards now
  • Stacks of 500 guards? This has to happen!
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    BRING IT.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback