A confrontation with Gadritan

DaraiusDaraius ShevatThe juror's taco spot
This is an ancient log. So old that I barely remember typing any of it. But it was one of the most intense experiences of my gaming life and illustrates why I am so gaga for Gadritan. It contains some sparknotes on Daraius's backstory, but hopefully the focus is what a powerful character Gadritan is. As always, edited for your reading pleasure so you don't have to pretend you're me.

By way of setup, I'd just received a tell along the lines of "We need to talk." Somebody (never found out who, but I think... Lawliet was implicated?) had spilled the beans to Gadritan that Daraius was planning to leave Celest.

~ Part One, in which Daraius makes a Confession ~

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "Talk to me, Daraius."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "Not as your Prince, as your Packmate."

Gadritan's mouth turns up as his face breaks into a smile.

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "What's going on?"

Gadritan tilts his head curiously.

Daraius nods his head at Gadritan.

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "Should have sat down with you sooner, just been so busy."

Daraius says, "I understand."

Gadritan tilts his head and listens intently.

Daraius murmurs, "Where to begin."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "Where you wish."

Gadritan wrinkles his nose and sniffs.

Daraius says, "I intended to tell you this sooner or later. I wish it wasn't under these circumstances."

Daraius says, "You should know that unless your informant had the name of Skyplume or Shavatt, they were most likely not acting out of care for me."

Gadritan shakes his head.

Daraius says, "But that doesn't matter."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "Not an informant, I'm not spying on you."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "It was someone concerned."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "Your pack loves you, Daraius."

Daraius says, "Well then. My confession."

Gadritan tilts his head and listens intently.

Avoiding eye contact, Daraius says, "I have lived longer than most people my age. You know already that I came to Celest from Hallifax, but I have not told many people here that I lived there for thirteen years after stepping out of the portal of fate."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "Go on."

Daraius says, "I was an instructor in the aeromancers, and an aide to the Ministry of Culture. I was adopted by the Shavatt family because they considered me a proper Hallifaxian."

Showing that he understands, Gadritan nods his head slowly.

Daraius says, "But I had lost twenty-three years to the portal of fate. Everybody wonders where they came from, right? And how they got to be the way they are?"

Daraius says, "I did, and I got the wild idea that if I could re-live some of the years that were taken by the portal, I might remember things I had forgotten about myself."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "If you're not fortunate enough to know..yes."

Daraius nods his head slowly in understanding.

Daraius says, "You know about the aeonicists of Hallifax?"

Daraius hastily brushes down his fur.

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "Hrm.."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "Not a damn clue."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "I've been mad at my home, certainly, but I've never wanted another home."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "Didn't..really do any research on the outside beyond what I need to proselytize to them."

Daraius says, "The sentinels and researchers of Hallifax have some control over time. They are able to manipulate individual timestreams, peek into the future, and so on."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "Ah, that stuff."

Daraius says, "I had one of them adjust my age to make me younger by twenty years. I became sixteen."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "Yes, and they've caused paradoxes that were extremely dangerous."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "Some things, shouldn't be played with."

Daraius glances askance.

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "I'm..an old man. I've seen a lot..and sure, I look back and could have done things diffrent..but I know better than to try."

Daraius says, "I was not an old man, and the best scientists of Hallifax assured me both that I wasn't mad for considering the procedure, and that there were no known side effects."

Daraius says, "So I didn't know better. In fact, it seemed the best option."

Daraius says, "I expected just to live my life in Hallifax in a nice young body, and all my memories of youth would come flooding back."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "I'm not judging you, pup."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "I simply don't trust..playing with time."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "Some things..are better left alone."

Looking downtrodden, Gadritan sadly shakes his head.

The corners of Gadritan's mouth turn up as he grins mischievously.

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says to Daraius, "Okay, that was foolish pup."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says to Daraius, "They can reverse the aging of your body, they never said they can turn back time itself across the entire basin."

Gadritan reaches over and ruffles your hair with a fond expression.

Daraius becomes suddenly rigid and his fur bristles in agitation.

Daraius says, "Yes, I know. I've had my hypotheses throroughly torn apart a few times already."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "Now now, lower your hackles."

Daraius hastily brushes down his fur.

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "There's no anger in my voice, there's no teeth showing in my snarl."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "I'm not judging you, I am just giving you insight."

I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."

Comments

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    ~ Part Two, in which Gadritan denounces Manipulation of Time ~

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "Doman..is the father of my wife, my deceased wife."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "You think he hasn't spoken to me, reverse time, cure her disease, save her life."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "Bring back the woman I loved so dearly."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "Who I wanted to spend my entire life with."

Daraius glances askance.

Daraius says, "I'm sorry, sir."

Daraius says, "And I apologize for taking so long to get to my point."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "It's fine."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "Let me finish, regardless."

Daraius tilts his head and listens intently to Gadritan.

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "I love my wife, Daraius. I would give my life for all time, I would give myself to teh fates to let her be alive again."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says to Daraius, "But that's not right."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says to Daraius, "She died, and I have accepted this. If I changed the past..if I saved her, what kind of things would have happened?"

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says to Daraius, "I would never have met Silvie, a woman I shared..a brief but deep bond with. She was inspired to write a beautiful play called "Eyes On Me" based off that."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "That touched many lives."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "What about my time as Prince, anything I do to help celest proably wouldn't have happened, because with Nerei I was content to not seek this position. I was happy to just stay in my house with my wife."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "Quite frankly, if I contorted time..if I changed the past, if I forsake every mistake and every righteous act to bring her back to me."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "I would be a very selfish man."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "The past..is the past."

Daraius tugs uncomfortably at his hems.

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "Never forget those you love, Daraius..but don't fall into the foolish ideas of Hallifax to alter time to your benefit."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "The future you deny would be worse for your actions, no matter how much you miss them."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "That goes for your family too."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain puts a paw on Daraius's shoulder, looking at him sadly.

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "Don't make the mistakes others have made before you."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "Don't try to change time, you won't succeed, and you'll just cause pain for everyone you care about, and especially yourself."

Looking downtrodden, Gadritan sadly shakes his head.

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "Hallifax dosen't have the answers, they have flawed theories and ideas. Science won't bring you happiness, it will leave you empty as Science fails to recognize that which is most sacred."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "Emotions. Feelings. Beliefs."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "These things Hallifax denies, and believes in their studies they can somehow overcome these inherant emotions god and mortal alike must yield to."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "They are foolish, Pup. They will learn in time the folly of not accepting the Light, as will everyone."

Gadritan murmurs softly to himself.

Daraius gulps nervously.

Gadritan nods his head at you.

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "I'm done now."
    I used to make cakes.

~ Part Three, in which Gadritan says some suspiciously Collectivist-sounding Things ~

Daraius says, "Sir, I don't mean to be argumentative. The truth is, I would not be standing in front of you now if I hadn't been selfish and had my timestream manipulated. The aging procedure is the reason I left Hallifax in search of something familiar from my youth."

Daraius says, "What I found was Celest, and the Tahtetso, and music and laughter."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "Than whats the problem, Daraius?"

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "I don't understand why..why you're not just content and joyful in your Pack."

Daraius says, "I never meant to be disingenuous. I expected to live here quietly, remember what I could remember about my youth, re-learn the ways of the Tahtetso and the light, and rediscover what it was that caused me to join Hallifax and the aeromancers from the Portal of Fate."

Daraius says, "I expected all along that the fates would arrange things just so, and I would end up once again in Hallifax at age twenty-three, like the records say, but with my memories intact."

Growling softly, Daraius says, "I did not expect to meet you. You were an unexpected variable."

Gadritan tilts his head curiously.

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "You altered the time line, pup."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "You've thrown the natural balance out of loop, and a new time has appeared."

Daraius flattens his ears against his head.

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "We control our destiny, Daraius."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "The Fates..simply choose when it ends, everything to that point is on us."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "You choose to stay, or to go."

Hanging his head, Daraius says, "Yes, that's what my contacts in the Matrix Institute said too."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "Then they said that much truth at least."

Daraius says, "I was misguided from the beginning."

Rubbing his eyes in exasperation, Daraius says, "I didn't want you to find out this way. I remember what you said about your mother, although I don't think we had really spoken then. It was shortly after I joined Celest."

Daraius says, "I wanted to ask you if it was possible for someone to follow the light and not live in Celest."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "It is possible, it's very possible."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "But it's not recommended."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "Think about this, Pup."

Gadritan looks about himself, rubbing his chin thoughtfully.

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "Yes, you follow the Light aye?"

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "Well a single ant can carry a leaf back to his nest for food."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "But if an animal finds him alone, he will be eaten so so much easier than say..50,000 ants attacking this bigger foe together."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "Power in numbers."

Daraius compulsively examines his clothing, straightening every crease and searching for rips and loose threads with uncommon urgency.

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "You can serve the Light outside of Celest, the Light is an ideal, a religion, a way of living your life pup."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "But without the moral support of your peers, working with you to raise your faith as you support theirs."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "You will find it much harder to stand strong in your faith."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "Do you understand what I'm saying, Pup?"

Daraius says, "I understand what you mean, but it's the concept of light I never grasped. You told me the Light was Pack, and my pack is in Hallifax, waiting on the results of my experiment."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "The Light is Pack. Aye."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "But your pack isn't in Hallifax, like you think."

Daraius creases his brow in a frown.

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "The Light is the only true Pack."

A wry smile spreads across Gadritan's face.

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "I've never denied this to you."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "Everyone is but a lost child of the Light."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "We will bring them all into our fold, and it hurts me when a pup leaves us."

Daraius slumps down dejectedly.
    I used to make cakes.

edited September 2013
    ~ Part Four, in which Gadritan gives an Ultimatum ~

Daraius sits himself down.

Urgently, Daraius says, "There is still a year left."

Daraius says, "A little less than a year."

Daraius stares at the floor.

Daraius says, "Sir, I'm sorry for not being forthcoming about this. Deception is not in my nature. I just... I don't want you to believe that anything I've said to you or done for you has been an attempt to manipulate you."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "I never accused you of that."

Daraius says, "I know."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "I know you're true, Pup."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "You're just young and confused."

Daraius nods his head in agreement.

Quietly, Daraius says, "Confused for sure."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "Speak to your guildmaster."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "Eldanien is a good man, he can give you guidance."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "I've given you what this old wolf can."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "The Light is the true path, the Hallifaxians can not promise you salvation, only loneliness as you attempt to defy the undefiable nature of your shard."

Daraius glances askance.

Daraius says, "Sir, if I continue on with my experiment, and end it as I planned next Dioni... Will I be a traitor?"

Gadritan purses his lips pensively, gazing off into the distance as he carefully gathers his thoughts.

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "To the city..yes."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "In my eyes, perhaps not everyone's."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "In my eyes, leaving your home for any reason is wrong."

Daraius nods his head slowly in understanding.

Daraius murmurs, "I expected as much."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "It.."

Daraius says, "Although, I suppose I was already a traitor when I told the fates to make me Hallifaxian."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "It doesn't make you a traitor to the light, but it's very hard to hold your faith in the midst of outsiders."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "I serve the Lady Terentia before all other oaths, and after that oath, the Light itself."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "You are not the Lady's charge, there is no question there."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "If you serve the Light..you're still okay in my eyes."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "But I urge you to reconsider abandoning us for the Hallifaxians."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "I don't enemy and hunt those who leave Celest peacefully."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "Those who leave it..not so peacefully, yah, I'll rip your heart out."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "But I know you're a good pup."

Daraius says, "I have considered many possibilities. Over these few years, which were shorter than they should have been, I learned it wouldn't be as easy as I expected. My own family forced me to consider the possibility that I wouldn't end up in Hallifax at the end of this."

Daraius says, "I have already come to terms with the possibility that you would never speak to me again if I were to leave. Wherever I end up, I would like you to know that my admiration for you is genuine."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "It's not about me, or you."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "It's about a higher cause."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "I'm just a servant of something bigger."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "As we all are. There's no good or evil, just diffrent sets of ideals."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "I know my ideals are unquestionably the only righteous answer."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "But I know my enemies would say the same thing."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "If you leave us, you take an oath to Hallifax, you uphold that oath. You are a loboshigaru, we are a proud race. We are not liars, we uphold our oaths."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "You kill me when that war comes."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "You do your duty."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "You do not disgrace me and everything I've tried to teach you by forsaking your vows."

Daraius whispers, "Yes sir."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "If you don't, I WILL kill you. I WILL Kill your family. I WILL Kill everyone you love in the war."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "If you don't stop me."

Covering his eyes, Daraius says, "Yes sir."

Gadritan nods his head emphatically.

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "So that's all I have to say, Daraius."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "You can serve the Light outside Celest, but you leave us, you better be ready for that ultimatium."

Daraius shakily gets to his feet.

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "I like Hallifax, I don't want this war I speak of. It may not be for 200 years, we may both be long gone before it happens, but it is always a possibility."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "You leave us, you're telling me you're willing to take your oath to Hallifax seriously."

Showing that he understands, Daraius nods his head slowly towards Gadritan.

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "My first loyalty is to Terentia."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "And She teaches Her children that loyalty is an absolute, an oath must always be sacred."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "So I ask that of you, if you truly admire me as you say."

Daraius lets loose a long breath from his lungs, exhaling slowly.

"Ok!" Gadritan exclaims.

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "This conversation never happened."

Daraius says, "As you wish."

Daraius says, "Thank you sir."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "The light can forgive, but it doesn't forget."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "No one needs to know you are having these thoughts."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "If they knew, they could judge you, because they are mortals, and make mistakes."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "This never happened so that if you don't leave us, you don't shame yourself."

Prince Gadritan Sar'Alainn, Dove Chaplain says, "We are going outside now."

Daraius says, "Understood. Thank you."
    I used to make cakes.

:x  :\">

The whole age change story arc was just my way of achieving my desires as a player: to play a lobo, a monk, and to play in Hallifax. Thankfully, it turned out to be really rewarding in other ways. It just so happened to be around the time Lusternia lost like three years on the in-game calendar, so I lost about a month to play out the scenario. 
    I used to make cakes.

• Wow, Daraius had almost the exact same reason for getting age-changed that I did. Neat.
  • [A] Very interesting stuff. It's been vaguely explained what all you did with your experiment but it's nifty to read some of it.

[B] It always interests me to see what the external perception of Halli/the Collective is. Particularly where the 'emotionless' and 'science is hollow' propaganda and stereotypes seep in.

.oO---~---Oo.

"Perfect. Please move quickly to the next post, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the signature are not part of this test."

NARF!