Organisational RP. Idealist perceptions vs reality.

Comments

• You went inactive right after tainted fae for years and years, which is right around the time Mag was solidifying into the place i noted above. The first year or two when the game opened was a lot of work and chaos, which is not what the Old Mag i am refering to was at all. I am sorry you never got to experience it, though
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Sorry Revan, I was here for that time.

I had to sit there on the same clans as Nariah and Sthai went back and forth, and a lot of times for stuff not even Lusternia related.

There's a -lot- of people who do not play anymore because of that time or some other lame drama-filled Magnagoran era.

And Magnagora has always been like this. It was like this with you and Munsia. Its still attempting to go on now.

We get it. You liked screwing people over. But as pointed out in this thread, there are a lot other ways to still be cruel, manipulative and brutal without being a jackass.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Daraius said:
    Tulemrah said that?!
    I wrote up a series of articles requiring things like clothed citizens, for them not to have a stench at the Matrix, and so on. Tulemrah argued against the clothed part, declaring it "art" if people were unclothed.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • I don't even know what you're talking about. A "-lot-" of people stopped playing because some people argued on OOC clans, not even about game things? What does that have to do with IC Magnagora at all? Why would you be there, listening, if you didn't enjoy it? Actually, don't answer.

It seems like more and more, you want to turn a blind eye to how enjoyable Mag used to be. Were you even there to celebrate our victories? To fight our battles and to work with such brilliant minds as Nariah, Veonira and Aiakon? Believe it or not, a ton of people enjoyed the city back then, and i was not always out to screw people over. In fact that was my least common motive (save a few times). There's a very very good reason that a lot of people look back on those days and remember strong RP and fantastic interactions.

When did you turn into such a hateful, bitter creature so quick to condemn and judge? I played for a long long time, and most of that time was bereft of seeing "Silvanus" on cwho. It seems that Magnagora has been nothing to you, always, even when it was everything to so many people who have been there to see what I saw... and that is very sad to know.
  • edited September 2013
    Shaddus said:
    Daraius said:
    Tulemrah said that?!
    I wrote up a series of articles requiring things like clothed citizens, for them not to have a stench at the Matrix, and so on. Tulemrah argued against the clothed part, declaring it "art" if people were unclothed.
    It was more a question of the Articles sending a mixed message as guidelines or as requirements that seemed to kill it for her. Also less 'nudity as art' and more 'well, what about nude statues and artist models and practical concerns'. But she was overall opposed and would have to explain the finer details why herself.

Also, considering we got a more complete Article I Section IX out of it (which was really the main issue to Mael) I think a full Decorum Articles is on the back burner to other more important missing laws.

Edit: it worries me I knew it was Article I Section IX offhand... X.=.X

.oO---~---Oo.

"Perfect. Please move quickly to the next post, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the signature are not part of this test."

NARF!

• edited September 2013
    I have a bigger post to make later on, but mainly I would like if the orgs went back to the roots of what defines them. Over the years (game and life) I've seen how every org became shaped and molded based upon not their ideals, but upon player concepts and relationships.

For example, I always loved the first idea inherited in Magnagora, which was the power of the Taint, the forbidden dark powers of the Soulless used to reach a greater threshold of power. Added to this was Damnation and Nil, utilizing 'demons' and serving the great Demon Lords. Yet, for some reason, someone  one time suggested a sort of steampunk, engine, gears, idea of Magnagora. Im not exactly sure when this happen, but apparently since then the city was forever changed from the idea of "Taint and Darkness" to "Engine and Progress".

Even the very Megalith, once a beacon of earth and corruption, became actually a giant mechnical device that would split open to reveal gears and nonsense, to simply transport one to the nexus world. The idea of "Taint clouds constantly churning and surrounding Magnagora" went from an idea of noxious death, into "Pollution created from their mechanical workings and factory". The 'Oily substance" one gets coated in upon accessing the megalith went from "a corrosive substance" into a more idea of "mechanical oil".

Sigh. Nay, Magnagora is no longer the central power of darkness and forbidden wretches of creation (a.k.a the undead and viscanti). Now when one looks upon it, all they will see is one big ass factory.

Edit: Concerning player relationships affecting ideals and concepts, I take to hand the alliances that had formed in the past for no reason but PvP benefit. It wasnt that long ago that we saw Celest allied with Glomdoring, which the very idea defies what celest stands for (if anyone ever tries to debate this as pro-RP, then I will literally find some way to make your eyes bleed from afar -,-). Even better, Magnagora, city of (supposedly) undeath, taint and demons, allied with the 'pure' Serenwilde...simply both based upon player feelings to these orgs. Such a shame
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I'm pretty sure that aspect of Magnagora was intended from the beginning.
  • Isn't it Magnagora, Engine of Transformation? I also think that the steampunk theme was meant for Magnagora.

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    It's always been the "Engine of Transformation", and while the streampunk theme has been emphasized more over the years, the themes of industry and Progress were always a part of Magnagora.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited September 2013

Arcanis said:

Edit: Concerning player relationships affecting ideals and concepts, I take to hand the alliances that had formed in the past for no reason but PvP benefit. It wasnt that long ago that we saw Celest allied with Glomdoring, which the very idea defies what celest stands for (if anyone ever tries to debate this as pro-RP, then I will literally find some way to make your eyes bleed from afar -,-). Even better, Magnagora, city of (supposedly) undeath, taint and demons, allied with the 'pure' Serenwilde...simply both based upon player feelings to these orgs. Such a shame

Guess I should expect some eye bleeding, but as a non-com, I think it's totally fine that the alliances shift every now and then, even if it's ultimately based on player PK needs. If it was always Mag-Glom-Gaud v. Cel-Seren-Halli (or whatever you think the ideal matchups are) things would get pretty boring! If you're wanting purely RP-based alliances, then there wouldn't be any alliances to speak of (unless the Soulless were lose and we had some common enemy). Every org's goals are fundamentally incompatible with every other. 
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
    I do find it interesting that at one point in the Histories, all four cities were part of one empire. Granted, back then New Celest and Magnagora weren't as diametically oppossed, but Gaudiguch and Hallifax still hated each other. It was only the force of the Empire that kept them together. The Forests were another matter, being very similar to each other and natural allies.

Now, Serenwilde is directly opposed to Glomdoring and Wyrd because the Wyrd is an imminent and direct threat to Serenwilde's woods--though the reverse does not necessarily have to be true. New Celest and Magnagora are directly opposed for the same reason and in the same directiong--Magnagora and the Taint are a direct threat to New Celest's existence, especially given the history. But Gaudiguch and Hallifax, from my perception, disagree philosophically, and neither is a direct mutating/corrupting force against the other. They could probably find enough common ground, like in the days of the Empire.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

• Enyalida said:
    I'm pretty sure that aspect of Magnagora was intended from the beginning.

Granted there were some aspects to it, but as Everiine said, it has become more and more emphasized over the years. I think at the beginning the slight idea behind was to just show how Magnagora still retains the "advanced" structures that are reminiscent of a lost age (where technology was flourishing). However now, I feel the very idea of "darkness forboding" and "Damnation and demons" seems all but forgotten from Mag.
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    edited September 2013
    Kio said:
    The more and more people talk about "old-school glom," the more resigned I am to not want it to happen ever again. I have heard so many horror stories about it that frankly, I worry that what's happening now might go a little too far. It doesn't help that there is apparent snark coming from a few particular individuals, though I've come to an understanding that those people would probably show it regardless of what's happening. It's really starting to feel that "old school Glom" was something fun if you were in it, but anti-fun if you weren't. I'm sorry to everyone that wants Glom to be the kill-everything-that-moves sort of merciless, but as long as I'm around, I'll be doing my best to keep things in check. I refuse to see any org fall into a place where it begins robbing people of their fun. Trust me, I'm all for hunting down particular people who deserve it (and last night is only the beginning). I'm all for the turn of the High Coven claiming Serenwilde unfit to protect the fae. I'm all for us becoming the ruthless protectors of the Maeve. However, the day the raiding ceases to have a point and is just raiding for the sake of raiding, I'm out. We can be assholes ICly, but we can also do it with tact.
    To clarify my own stance on the matter, it isn't the "lol let's kill everyone because we're scary and we can" that I miss. As a non-com, I didn't take part in that aside from providing Healing support, and from a player standpoint I didn't and still don't agree in ganking enemies while they're hunting just to make them suffer or other similar genres of "griefing" (frankly, I believed we were above that). The occasional raid on, say, Ethereal Serenwilde was something I did support, from a roleplaying standpoint - we thought ourselves better than our northern counterpart, Night more powerful than Moon, and so it wasn't out of place for us to demonstrate it.

What I miss more about old Glom is the pride and immersion in our lore that existed. We were dark, and we were proud. We were beautiful, and we were proud. We revelled in our glory, and damn it, we were proud. All the while, however, we retained our elitist decorum - the frivolity that I've seen pervade the populace since then didn't exist. And people were ENTHUSIASTIC about our lore. People participated without having their arms twisted (most of the time, anyway =) ). That is what I miss.

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Because darkness has been hijacked by Glomdoring is why.
  • Shuyin said:
    Glomdoring shares a LOT of symbols with Magnagora, it's kind of odd.

Was Hallifax ever actually a part of the HCE? My understanding is that it was allied but a sovereign nation, given bits of the taint wars recording and the project cloudspout logs.
  • I believe Hallifax was part of the Holy Celestine Empire. If it wasn't, Gaudiguch (being part of the Empire) would have dragged the rest to completely destroy Hallifax.

The political structure of the four cities wasn't very centralized, though. Gaudiguch and Hallifax acted more like protectorates and vassal states while retaining a lot of autonomy, but they were still under the rule of the Emperor.

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    From Cririk's first address to the city after the refounding:

Welcome and salutations, new citizens of the City of Hallifax. You
    should take pride in being part of the Second Founding of Hallifax. When
    Hallifax was a vassal state of the Celestine Empire, it was content to
    be but a cog in the wheel that brought many centuries of peace,
    prosperity and plentitude to the Basin of Life. Unfortunately, those
    days have long passed.

My understanding is that Hallifax was part of the HCE (vassal state, as Eodh and Cririk note), but had fingers in different pots. Their interest in Cosmic Hope was partly scientific, but also motivated by a desire to be less dependent on the dwarven villages for gems.

Has anybody written alternate history fanfic where the Matrix was chosen as the launching point for Cosmic Hope? :x
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • edited September 2013
    @Everiine it should be noted there have been some reconciliation movements in the past, usually quickly shot down internally on varied ground - the ideological differences, old wounds from the whole flinging each out of time, religious reasons (Zvoltz vs Mysrai), et cetera. There's probably a thesis or twelve on the many finer points of why Gaudi/Halli may -always- be opposed.

They're not just Lawful Neutral vs Chaotic Neutral, they're Lawful Necktie vs Chaotic Bacon.

.oO---~---Oo.

"Perfect. Please move quickly to the next post, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the signature are not part of this test."

NARF!

Shuyin said:
    "Darkness" can technically be looked at in different ways in the context of Glomdoring and Magnagora, couldn't it?

i.e. Glomdoring's darkness is a natural one, being created by a Nature Spirit, whereas Magnagora's is preternatural, being emanated by demons or somesuch? 

Before an earthly flight

• Rancoura said:

What I miss more about old Glom is the pride and immersion in our lore that existed. We were dark, and we were proud. We were beautiful, and we were proud. We revelled in our glory, and damn it, we were proud. All the while, however, we retained our elitist decorum - the frivolity that I've seen pervade the populace since then didn't exist. And people were ENTHUSIASTIC about our lore. That is what I miss.

I'm clearly missing something here. :/
    edited September 2013
    Back in the day, spirituality was rampant throughout Glomdoring. The Coven led rituals on a semi-regular basis, religious sermons were given (by other guilds as well) to raptly attentive audiences, there were festivals, contests, group kephera hunts, even grand cultural projects that varied from beautifying the entire forest or adding little bits and pieces to it to theatre exercises, wargames and commune-wide poetry readings or play watching. I suppose it was just more inclusive, and there was a greater sense of community within the organization. 

Edit: As to the "elitist decorum" I'm referring to, that probably relates more to the more aristocratic feel there used to be in the Coven.

Before an earthly flight

• Rancoura said:
    Back in the day, spirituality was rampant throughout Glomdoring. The Coven led rituals on a semi-regular basis, religious sermons were given (by other guilds as well) to raptly attentive audiences, there were festivals, contests, group kephera hunts, even grand cultural projects that varied from beautifying the entire forest or adding little bits and pieces to it to theatre exercises, wargames and commune-wide poetry readings or play watching. I suppose it was just more inclusive, and there was a greater sense of community within the organization. 

Edit: As to the "elitist decorum" I'm referring to, that probably relates more to the more aristocratic feel there used to be in the Coven.

We're trying D:
  • Has anybody written alternate history fanfic where the Matrix was chosen as the launching point for Cosmic Hope? :x
    Yes. I won Bardics for it.
  • Magnagora was fun, it was called Mag Tag for a reason, only one org played it and people seemed to like the challenge.  I disliked basically spitting on the serfs basically everyone starts as a serf and that can be a turn off. I would LOVE to see an explanation of an orgs RP so people didn't think they were abused, they would KNOW why it was going on.

Glomdoring was simply more righteous in what they knew.  I don't remember them ever raiding nearly as much as the cities of the time.  Zealotry should be a key component of Glomdoring, "Fai Glomdoring!" should say it all.

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    edited September 2013
    Malarious said:
    Magnagora was fun, it was called Mag Tag for a reason, only one org played it and people seemed to like the challenge.  I disliked basically spitting on the serfs basically everyone starts as a serf and that can be a turn off. I would LOVE to see an explanation of an orgs RP so people didn't think they were abused, they would KNOW why it was going on.

Glomdoring was simply more righteous in what they knew.  I don't remember them ever raiding nearly as much as the cities of the time.  Zealotry should be a key component of Glomdoring, "Fai Glomdoring!" should say it all.

Glom RP kinda got spoiled for me when I realized that Glomdoring means "have no mercy" so... nothing matters but have no mercy! Glory be to have no mercy! Kinda amusing to watch it happen... anyway.

EDIT: Ickytrees would be better.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Fae words tend to have multiple meanings, as a note.
  • In regards to caste system / serfs: I think this is an ok RP thing if it is a rank you can fairly easily get out of. Not too easy, but more that there is a combat way, a non-combat way, and perhaps a way you can get promoted out of it for random awesome. Spitting goes too far, even for Mag, that you'd do it to an NPC could be ok but everyone did go through the portal and that does give you even as a lowly serf some kind of status from the start above where an NPC beggar would be.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
    I only ever got spit on in New Celest.

• Serenwilde should have a duality, of the savage and unforgiving and the deeply devoted and spiritual. It doesn't really manage it, but some of us try :)
    Please note: I deliberately play a very flawed character. Just because he says or does something, does not mean I agree with it. He's a bit of a <censored> really