Diversify Armours

2»

Comments

• What? Robes are chosen over leather armour not because they are "automatically superior" due to being one-piece. They are chosen due to their armour rating, period. Leather can come in one piece and robes in ten different pieces, and robes will still be chosen if the armour ratings don't change.

There'll just be a little more whining about how inconvenient it is to get equipped for combat. The only choice will always be the choice with the higher armour rating. Period.

• edited July 2013
    Lerad said:
    What? Robes are chosen over leather armour not because they are "automatically superior" due to being one-piece. They are chosen due to their armour rating, period. Leather can come in one piece and robes in ten different pieces, and robes will still be chosen if the armour ratings don't change.

There'll just be a little more whining about how inconvenient it is to get equipped for combat. The only choice will always be the choice with the higher armour rating. Period.

We already established the difference in armour rating.  If leather comes with a hood, then that's news to me.  Robes do not come in "ten different pieces".

The point is you can make the armour rating the same, but it is much more economical to have one robe rather than leggings, a top, and a hood or hat.

Also keep in mind that the final armour rating of robes is potentially determined by how successful you are with enchanting them.  So to go through enchanting each separate piece is time consuming and requires more effort.

"A man's not dead while his name is still spoken."  - Terry Pratchett 1948-2015

• I think you missed my post, so here it comes again:

Ssaliss said:
    Actually, I didn't forget that at all. Yes, robes are one piece and come with a hood, but leather armour can also cover all parts of the body, so that doesn't really matter much, aside from it being harder to get the right stats on leather armour. That is, however, compensated for by the fact that leather armour lasts for a lot longer than robes do (I think leather armour start out with 180 months, as opposed to 50-60 months of robes).

Besides, if leather armour got higher stats to compensate for it having four pieces, then everyone would just use leather armour instead of robes, even if the difference was small. The only way to give people an option between leather and robes is to give the same protection to both, really.
    As to leathers not having hoods... well, they have skullcaps instead. The extra work for the leathers is compensated for by the extra duration. And to pre-emptively answer something else, yes, forging is luck based just as enchantment is; you can't temper leather armour.
  • Currently, a leather outfit requires 30 leather for the armour and 50 silk for batting.Greatrobes cost 125. A perfectly balanced thing to do would be to increase the costs of leather armour to 2.5x their current commodity cost (10 leather for bracers, 15 for a cap, 20 for leggings, 30 for a vest) and up their armour stat to match.
  • Not sure I agree with upping the cost of leather; you can't get the leather back from a bad forging, but you can get some of the comms back from a set of bad robes. Granted, a minor point (and I'd certainly like to see the change even if the cost was increased), but just my thought.
  • Ssaliss said:

Not sure I agree with upping the cost of leather; you can't get the leather back from a bad forging, but you can get some of the comms back from a set of bad robes. Granted, a minor point (and I'd certainly like to see the change even if the cost was increased), but just my thought.

But only with an artifact :(
  • True, but still! Unfortunately, artifacts are what things are balanced around these days.
  • Ssaliss said:

True, but still! Unfortunately, artifacts are what things are balanced around these days.

I don't know anyone with shears, so Tacita and I went through six splendours trying to get the stats I have now.

And they're not even perfect. They're just halfway acceptable :(
  • Again, my thoughts regarding the Hartstone for this are less about changing leathers as they are and more about enhancing them for the Hartstone specifically.

One thought is that there might be an ability early in Stag that gives access to a very minor quest, which awards a buff upon completion. This buff could double the protection offered by leather armour and perhaps have a special effect for Wildewood where they get armour based on the number of barks they have if they are naked. Or you could just make it for people with Druidry and deal with Wildewood separately.

This is a straight forward resolution, leathers move to equivalents of robes without needing to actually change them directly, the ritual itself can be where you need to dump the gold/time for it (hefty comms cost plus questing, you could easily make it expensive and require an hour).

The main issue I suppose is that this would allow people to craft a large number of suits of leather and change them around quite easily, so there would need to be some form of restriction or detriment. (Marking the armour and/or faster decay from the strain comes to mind.)

This sort of thing can also be applied to other armour types as desired, a Celestine might have some form of pilgrimage for the Supernals which grants them a blessing that perhaps reduces the overall effectiveness of chainmail but in turn rewards them in other ways. Perhaps then making the choice one between pure defensive benefit or slightly reduced defence for some additional utility.

• Simply....

I want this

Not this

• Thing is, though, that we have the first picture already.  People just don't tend to take the time to pay attention to in-game descriptions of things unless they really care about diversity.

For example, most people don't realize Kio's fur is made of ethereal water, even though his description makes it evident.
  • Kio said:
    Thing is, though, that we have the first picture already.  People just don't tend to take the time to pay attention to in-game descriptions of things unless they really care about diversity.

For example, most people don't realize Kio's fur is made of ethereal water, even though his description makes it evident.

We really don't, considering that only maybe four of the characters in the first pic are actually wearing cloth and one is wearing plate.

You can have a wide variety of descriptions, however, ultimately they will always be robes which was the point of the second photo.

There is a ridiculous amount of customisation that is available, but ultimately you're choosing between three bases which you select materials for, colour, then add things to or taking things off of.

You couldn't really have something like what Merisiel or Harsk is wearing, Kyra could be possible though I think she'd be wearing some form of chain underneath that. There are also other characters like Lini or Lirianne that would be a really weird fit.

Also ultimately, three tiers of armour exist in the game that are just not used except maybe as a temporary solution, they are a thing already not something new that is being asked for.

I feel that tailoring a suit out of leather is the wrong answer to "I would like to have leather armour".

Also, if Kio does come near Saran with ethereal water fur then I'm fairly certain that they would be removed from the forest until what they are can be determined.

• Kio is a boy.  And if he can into the Serenwilde, he'd probably be killed on the spot, not just removed :P
  • Kio said:
    Kio is a boy.  And if he can into the Serenwilde, he'd probably be killed on the spot, not just removed :P

Ignoring the political situation, it still remains. Also "they" would be Saran being polite.

• TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    ...seriously, ethereal water fur?

On topic equalizing robes/leather would be nifty. Let robes be "tempered" already with standardized max stats (like plate), and then allow the same to leathers with similar max stats.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Slight necro.

How about we limit armour based on the wearer's skill in knighthood? Maybe master to wear chain, fabled to wear plate?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    That means that people would have to buy MORE sets of armour as they learned their skills, which would dramatically increase the already high cost of getting equipped as a warrior. No thank you.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Especially since casters can just go straight for robes.
  • Yeah, I liked @Shaddus' idea until I realized what @Everiine said. Still, I wish there was some means of having to upgrade your armor bit by bit, rather than going from leather that's off the donation rack straight to master plate. But I can't think of a way to get it to work without, as was said, putting another row of bullion bricks on top of the solid-gold wall that is warrior equipment.
  • Come to think, maybe give leather and chain slight advantages over one another and over robes, but give them disadvantages too, like slightly lower wounds in chain, but slightly faster balance times in leather, verses robes having four total possible proofings (robe, robe, coat, cloak) rather than three (batting, coat, cloak).

Also, can we boost the DMP from proofing tabards if they aren't going to be allowed to be double proofed? No one uses them either, ever, and it's kind of sadtailor.