Curio Trading and Selling

XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
edited June 2013 in Common Grounds
So, at this point it is not possible to sell a complete curio.

At all.

The only way to get rid of a curio is to trade it to someone else for another complete curio.

To me, this seems more than a little strange.  Part of the whole charm of collectibles is being able to collect, build, trade, and sell them on to others.  Or, heck, even to help build and share the collector's spirit with others!

Further, let's say you have all of the enchantment curios, all of the travel curios, and all of the DMP weakness / resistance curios.  If you've made a duplicate (because, you know, you did not know you couldn't actually get rid of it), you are forever more stuck with that duplicate.  You cannot break it down, you can't give it away, you can't sell it... so you will always have two of one of the curios.

I just don't get the reasoning here.  Once upon a time you could sell pieces and complete curios both, but that was taken away due to an exploit with curio pieces.  However, such an exploit is just not possible with complete curios.  You can't break them back down again into component parts.  They will forever be complete, so, what's the harm?

Let us sell complete curios!

Comments

• What was the exploit, if I may ask? I can't really think of any exploit, other than sharing curio pieces between alts (which, of course, isn't allowed), but I'd hate to see the ability to sell or give away curio pieces based on that...
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Let's just say it was pretty absurd and completely stupid that anyone would even go to that extent to abuse a few good things in tandem; I'm not sure posting it here (even though it's been fixed) is acceptable.
  • Let's not post it. Let's just say that after a couple of instances of different types of abuse involving rubbing curio pieces, we just got rid of the ability to sell pieces. A side effect was whole ones can no longer be sold, either.

I don't know if we are open to allowing whole curios to be sold or not.
    edited November 2012
    I completely understand, after the abuse, just excising trading pieces entirely.

Where completed curios are concerned, there is no such abuse possible, though... so I'd really like to have that ability reinstated.
  • Same... I didn't realise that we weren't able to give people whole curios. I made one for that specific reason.
    (Market): Tetra says, "Selling a completed clockwork pendulum."

No you are not.

:(
  • Why would selling a curios be different than transferring anything else?
    I don't have any clue; there's no abuse possible for completed curios.
    (Market): Eria says, "Looking to trade ikons for curios."

Nope!

Eria tells you, "I can trade Ikon for free, you can trade curio for free??"

Still nope.

:(
  • Selling completed curios might make it less likely for people to spend on getting individual pieces, thereby devaluing the collectors market aspect of them.
    [BANNERCODE]
    Selling completed curios does not magically create more; the same number exist in the game either way. In order to complete it, someone had to purchase the curio bits to begin with.

I do not see how that is a problem. Not being able to sell them would seem to make others less likely to buy bits (fewer options available as far as dealing with what you purchased) rather than more...

Not being able to sell the things is decidedly not an incentive to buy bits!
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    I would still like to be able to trade pieces for credits. Finally finding people who have the pieces I want, but then finding out they don't want anything I have, is a pain in the ass. Shut up and take my credits :(
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
    Trade them a piece + credits.
    Problem being, though, I didn't have enough pieces to give!

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
    That's what curio packs are for!
    Oh, silly me :P

-