Blocking and you

ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
I seem to recall this not being the case in the past, but it would appear that blocking - both beast block and athletics block seems to block movement in -both- directions rather than just one. Now, I could be mistaken, but it is also rather illogical for it to work in such a fashion, considering the fact that it pretty much means that warriors get a 1p forcewall at capable athletics that you can go around via tumble/leap/acrowhatever.

Yet, when reported as a bug:

Bug #8894   Resolution: Your report has been reviewed and is not considered a bug. If you feel it is a game balance concern, you should speak to your guild envoy.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------[Elanorwen on 10/2/2013 @ 01:12 bugs]------
skill Beastmastery blocking appears to block entry to the room through the blocked exit as well as exit from the room through the block exit. Uncertain if the same applies to athletics blocking too, but I doubt that is the way the skill should work.
-------[Elanorwen on 10/2/2013 @ 03:36 adds]------
After testing, it would appear that athletics block also affects attempts to enter the location rather than just attempts to exit.

And an excerpt from ab athletics blocking:

Syntax: BLOCK <direction> [FIRM]
        UNBLOCK
Power: 1 (any) (Only when "Firm")
This ability will allow you to block a particular direction, preventing normal movement in that direction. Note that it is more difficult to block those who are of a larger size than you. Firm, however, will make blocking guaranteed.

To me, this is a pretty major issue no matter how one looks at it. While I might be mistaken, I've seen people walk into a room from a blocked direction on plenty of occasions during raids (and have been blocking myself during raids and have not once seen a message that I stopped someone from leaving while they were trying to enter the room) If I'm wrong, please someone let me know.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.

Comments

• No... that's how I remember it working as well. Weird. I wonder if it was changed to stop it from being used to trap someone (they enter, and can't leave)?
  • edited October 2013
    Should be a bug. Don't think it's intended. Someone probably hit the wrong button or deleted the wrong bug. Get an envoy to poke an admin directly, or issue yourself to get someone to personally look into it, if the bug just gets dismissed. (Edit: Rebug it again, first, of course.)

Using it to trap someone is one of the reasons to use it in the first place.

• We have icewalls, etc for hindering the entering of a room. This is definitely not behaviour that I am certainly used to seeing from block. Rebug, I guess.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    Yeah, this is new. It shouldn't work this way either since there's no way to drop it from the outside in.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Rivius said:
    Yeah, this is new. It shouldn't work this way either since there's no way to drop it from the outside in.
    Never mind that the message the blocker gets kind of implies that the person is in the room. I.e. you get: "You prevent so-and-so from leaving." (I don't remember what the exact message was, really, but I'm pretty sure anyone who has ever blocked before is familiar with it)

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    That's a new bug, used block as recently as last weekend and it wasn't doing that. Good find.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!