I'm looking to give Lusternia a try, but I have a couple questions first.

edited November 2013 in Q&A
First of all, should I bother starting Lusternia at all right now? I understand there's some sort of major overhaul of the combat system in the works. Would I be better off waiting for this to come out rather than spending a bunch of time learning the current system only to have it change on me?

Second, I'm currently leaning towards playing a Nihilist but going over the forums I gather that the game has a problem with unbalanced populations and that Magnagora and the Nihilists in particular are significantly larger than other factions. Am I right here? I don't want to make this problem worse and while my character write-up I've done doesn't really work outside Magnagora I could probably adjust it for another guild or just start over and go with a different faction.

Comments

• Nah, the basic setup of the game isn't going to change that drastically. THe overhaul is changing the nature of afflictions as much as anything, and starting now will still help you learn how the game functions. The underlying system -is- going to remain.

As for population, it's a problem in one sense. Mostly a matter of the times that people play. Though some organizations are smaller than others (Most notably Hallifax, I'm sad to say) it's more important to play a character that you can enjoy and get into than anything else. So if you'd like to try a Nihilist, play a Nihilist!
  • Thanks for the advice.

Actually, I was originally going to go Symphonium but I realized I'd never be able to come up with convincing lyrics. Going over it over again I think I've come up with a halfway decent concept for an Aeromancer. I don't like it quite as much as as my Nihilist idea but if Hallifax really needs players I'll go with it.
  • Please come Symphonium! (but only if you wouldn't be intimidated by the fact that we really don't have very many people) It's such a lovely guild concept too. Writing lyrics isn't as hard as you may fear and people would be happy to help you.

Hallifax is going through an extremely quiet period right now.

But, that said, you should do what you want, and what will make you happy and stick around. If that means being a Nihilist, make a Nihilist. If that means you -want- to make an aeromancer, go for it. No org is so much the upper hand that they can't use useful people.
  • edited November 2013
    This happens to me every time I start any sort of RPG, I really need to learn to just trust my first impluse. I am actually going to go with the Symphonium. They look really cool thematically and the customs songs do look like a really fun mechanic. Besides I've played way too many wizard and priest characters in TTRPGs but I've never even played a single session with a bard.

Thanks again for the advice.

Edit: And apparently I am an idiot and it's impossible to reuse the name of a suicided character so I need to choose a new one and because it's impossible to the change the name of your forum account I need to make a whole new one...
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Don't worry about that. I play characters that aren't named Shaddus.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Shaddus said:
    Don't worry about that. I play characters that aren't named Shaddus.
    He plays all characters that aren't named Shaddus.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • edited November 2013
    Thanks again everyone. I loaded up the game yesterday planning to try it for an hour or so and ended up staying for seven so I may be sticking around a while. If you happen to come across Nemu the somewhat confused Trill bard wandering about please treat her well.

Final question: how do I mark a thread as "answered?"

• Cassilda said:
    Thanks again everyone. I loaded up the game yesterday planning to try it for an hour or so and ended up staying for seven so I may be sticking around a while. If you happen to come across Nemu the somewhat confused Trill bard wandering about please treat her well.

I don't think you made it a question in the first place, so no need to mark it as answered :D
    Cassilda said:

I've seen you wandering around Hallifax, but you're too quiet for your own good. Don't be afraid to prod me (Entrias) if you want some RP or have questions. Scarily, I'm the most active person in the city right now, it stays semi-deserted.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • I forgot Entrias was a Shaddus-alt. Why did I forget this? 

Anyway, feel free to prod people in general.
  • That goes for me as well. I tend to be around at odd and somewhat random times, but if you have questions about the symphonium/hallifax/what have you and can't catch me in person feel free to message me or write a letter.
    Hiriako said:
    I forgot Entrias was a Shaddus-alt. Why did I forget this? 

Anyway, feel free to prod people in general.
    When in doubt, it's Shaddus.
  • Whatever you do, do not pick an org based on what you perceive the population to be. Next week, or even tomorrow it could be completely different.

Play what you truly find enjoyable and then at least when the population shifts you’ll still have something enjoyable to be doing.

At this point all orgs needs players, if by needing you mean will people welcome you and can you contribute. In that sense, no one has so many players that contributions are not needed to any org.

The lyrics for bard songs don’t need to be overly long and you could even find an online poetry generator to help. Not to mention, if that is all that is holding you back and you’re upfront about it, someone would probably volunteer to help just to get another warm body if their org.

Once you get your feet wet, see about getting into the allies clan for Hallifax and then if no one is around you'll have more people you can ask for help.
  • edited November 2013

Shaddus said:
    I've seen you wandering around Hallifax, but you're too quiet for your own good.
    Sorry, I'll try to work on that. I'm used to PnPs where A) I'm forced to talk with everyone because we're sitting at the same table and B) we've all planned out our characters to have good reasons to work together. Having to make my own RP opportunities is taking a bit of getting used to. Also I wasn't entirely sure how acceptable it was IC for me to talk to higher ranking people without them speaking first.

Steingrim said:

Whatever you do, do not pick an org based on what you perceive the population to be. Next week, or even tomorrow it could be completely different.

Play what you truly find enjoyable and then at least when the population shifts you’ll still have something enjoyable to be doing.

Don't worry, I'm really not. Hallifax was honestly mt first choice. I was only going play the Nihilist because I thought It was a good idea to stick to my comfort zone for my first character in a new game. When I heard that Hallifax really needed more people it was an excuse to try something different and go with what I wanted to play anyway.
  • Cassilda said:

Shaddus said:
    I've seen you wandering around Hallifax, but you're too quiet for your own good.
    Sorry, I'll try to work on that. I'm used to PnPs where A) I'm forced to talk with everyone because we're sitting at the same table and B) we've all planned out our characters to have good reasons to work together. Having to make my own RP opportunities is taking a bit of getting used to. Also I wasn't entirely sure how acceptable it was IC for me to talk to higher ranking people without them speaking first.
    It's very much encouraged. I remember how intimidating it was to actually start trying to talk to the various people with big fancy titles who were guild leaders, etc. But a lot of people got into those positions because they enjoy interacting with people, and enjoy working with newbies. And they've stuck around because they really enjoy Hallifax and would be happy to share that enthusiasm with someone.

From an in character perspective, you're expected to be polite, but part of the Collectivist mindset (or at least Allyrianne's take on it) is a certain sort of equality. We all serve the Collective, after all, and if you have a question, or want advice or clarification, it is her job to help you find your place in the Collective, and it would be entirely anti-collectivist for her to get offended at you for initiating a conversation. (You could also use that uncertainty as a jumping off point for an in character conversation.)

When in doubt "I forgot because of the Portal" is a perfectly legitimate excuse.

I've been meaning to snag you to talk, but whenever I see you logged in, I'm about to run off in ten minutes or something. But the rest of this week should be less crazy.