GMCP

While GMCP is pretty awesome, it can always be made even more awesomer. And since there was no thread for GMCP yet, well, why not make one? Here are a couple of ideas from me (one inspired my Athree):

• When you use MAP, you get the map wrapped in "Redirect.Window "map"" and "Redirect.Window "main"". I'd suggest adding a similar redirect for aethermaps, that'd redirect to "aethermap" (if it redirected to "map", I think it'd create some havoc with systems that exist today).
  • Right now, Vitals has a beastbal variable that is 1 when you have beast balance and 0 if you don't. The problem is that it's 1 even if you don't have a beast with you. I propose this is altered to be 1 when you have your beast with you and have balance, 0 when you have your beast with you and you don't have balance, and -1 if you don't have your beast with you, regardless of balance status.
  • Add another variable to items (or just wrap it into the "flags" variable, although that'd probably cause issues) that contain information that is specific to that type of item. For instance, a powerstone would give its power left, weapons and armour would give their stats, etc.
  • Add decay time to the items, as long as you have audit in Discernment. If not, return -1 (should also return -1 if the item is permanent).

Other suggestions welcome!

Comments

• I like all of them, but for the last, decay time should just be there for everyone I think. I mean if you probe an item you can see it. And you can easily code a mass probe item alias with some gagging if you don't want to learn audit just yet. 
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • Yeah, I wouldn't really mind decay time being available to everyone. Although if it was, it'd make the audit skill pretty much useless, which is why I added that restriction.
  • It'd still be there for people who can't or don't want to code something with it. 
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • Awesome idea. We should have done this ages ago. Here are my suggestions:

* Wielded items.
     * Fix Char.Items!
     * (If feeling fancy): Guild specific 'balances' such as Holyfire, etc.
     * Gold amount.
     * Credit/dingbat amounts.
     * Beast trains.
     * Stratagem queued items.
     * Org potion balance.

There's a few to get us going. More incoming as I think of them!
  • Caerlyr said:
    Awesome idea. We should have done this ages ago. Here are my suggestions:

* Stratagem queued items.
    Yes
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    Wielded items are in and have their own attribute tag (designated as 'l'). I think there was recently an addition to gold as well.
    http://www.ironrealms.com/gmcp-doc is a bit out of date for the changes in Lusternia, but still a very good reference.
  • Doesn't work with drawing/sheathing so it's crap.

• Caerlyr said:
    Awesome idea. We should have done this ages ago. Here are my suggestions:

* Wielded items.
    Already exists, I think. The flag "l" should indicate that.

4841h, 7245m, 8640e, 10p, 18900en, 29400w ex-
    You begin to wield an athame dagger in your right hand.
    Char.Items.Update { "location": "inv", "item": { "id": "12305", "name": "an athame dagger", "attrib": "lt" } }
    You cease wielding an athame dagger in your right hand.
    Char.Items.Update { "location": "inv", "item": { "id": "12305", "name": "an athame dagger", "attrib": "t" } }

* Gold amount.
    Exists through Char.Status:

Char.Status { "gold": "21387597" }
    You drop 5 gold sovereigns.
    Char.Status { "gold": "21387602" }
    You pick up 5 gold sovereigns.

Similar for gold in the bank. Seems to be slightly bugged though, with it firing twice.

* Fix Char.Items!
    Fix how? Assume no one other than yourself knows about the problems with it :D
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    edited December 2013
    What do you mean? I remember there was a bug with it that Iosai fixed some time back. If an item is sheathed it will be removed from the inventory and instead be located in the container object. Once drawn again, it should (if behaving correctly) once again take on the 'l' attribute. In this way, you can keep track fairly easily of what you have wielded. That's how some of the modern auto-wielders work, anyhow.
  • Ardmore said:
    Doesn't work with drawing/sheathing so it's crap.
    Yeah, that's been bugged. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon.
  • Fix Room.Players.List to not fire twice when moving rooms!
  • Keep in mind it has been stated directly that they oppose GMCP bloating.

We should remove it from more places not add a bunch.

I'd like to see affs reported in GMCP under the overhaul (and cures) but that is the only thing I would really say is a needed or worthwhile thing.

Beast balance is something we have listed so a change to that is fine, but I would prefer we have less GMCP not more for the same reason admin dislike GMCP bloating.
  • Mine unbloats it. Do mine.
  • The majority of bloat seems to happen in Char.Vitals (in my test, it consisted of about 84% of the total GMCP data), so that'd probably be a good place to start unbloating. One good start would be to remove non-updated data (so, for instance, if only your health changes, you'd only get a Char.Vitals with your health, etc). Another would be to remove the "string" variable, since that one seems to be redundant. Yes, I know why it's there, but at some point backwards compability have to take a backseat to performance, if performance is an issue.

Either way, adding data to other places than Vitals probably wouldn't impact things too badly.
  • This is the oldest thread, so it gets my necro wand! Tada!

Over the years, I've seen a lot of idealistic gmcp requests/posts across a few IRE games. Is anyone aware what the status of gmcp work in Lusty is? Like current projects? Is there any room for ~realistic~ suggestions of things to cut/add?
  • Chirbi said:
    This is the oldest thread, so it gets my necro wand! Tada!

Over the years, I've seen a lot of idealistic gmcp requests/posts across a few IRE games. Is anyone aware what the status of gmcp work in Lusty is? Like current projects? Is there any room for ~realistic~ suggestions of things to cut/add?
    We can work with existing namespaces. New namespaces require discussion and agreement between all IRE games.
    Forum Avatar drawn by our lovely Isune.
  • Very helpful to know that @ianir! I might pitch a few ideas.

question: how much processing and server time is spent on creating the map that everyone receives a link to via GMCP? I was surprised that it doesn't wait for a client request before generating those. AFAIK Nexus uses its own mapper?

Thanks!
  • Chirbi said:
    question: how much processing and server time is spent on creating the map that everyone receives a link to via GMCP? I was surprised that it doesn't wait for a client request before generating those. AFAIK Nexus uses its own mapper?
    The website map link? Almost none surprisingly enough. The actual map data? It's... hrm, manageable, but that's all XML, so it's basically still just text generation which is pretty quick.
    Forum Avatar drawn by our lovely Isune.
  • *defences (some need to be added)
    *afflictions (some need to be added)
    *need to add 'classes' to gmcp that may be useful for classflex
    **or just display active skillsets rather than classes.
  • edited August 2017
    Knowing defences and afflictions are maybe out of scope for the next Soon, what about:
    • Adding the current continent to the Room.Info.details table or to Room.Info
    • Current class and matching key in Char.StatusVars
    • Furniture in Char.Items.Inv "room"
    edit2change: I assume there's a good reason we aren't able to toggle updates only/full Char.Vitals every prompt even after that feature being requested several times so I removed my asking for that.