Several Questions (Yes, I need opinions)

Okay! So, I've been gathering my resources, and now I'm more looking for a seasoned opinion. Or several, really. 

1.) I'm probably going to be mixing Influencing/Bashing, as I don't want getting to Demi to be too tedious and droll. So saying, here's the route that I currently do (I'm nearly level 80)

A.) Kill all of the Orcs in Shallach
B.) Kill all of the fishers and the Gravediggers in the Broadcast Centre
C.) Influence all of the Illithoids in the UV Prison

Now, I've been told to do Kephera, but I don't know which Hive everyone's referring me to, as everyone says that Kephera are the best way to Influence to Demi, and that Illithoids are a good back-up. 
If this is true, has everyone been referring to a specific one, or...? However, if anyone can offer me a better route, or explain WHY Influencing solo to Demi/Bashing solo to Demi is better, I'd love to hear it. 

2.) Lately, I've noticed that I desperately need more Charisma. As it is, I can only get up to fourteen with Populus and Netzach. Again, I was told that making a Throne costs about 125K (which, last time I checked, it was closer to 50K, but eck) Now, if that's true, and Influencing is my major way to gold, is it better for me to Influence and sell esteem with my low Charisma to afford that (since it'll take longer to Influence a mob than it will be to bash), or is it better to bash, as I've a much higher Intellect (16)?

3.) I've heard people say that humans are amazing with their experience bonus, and I've heard others say that it's not worth it once you reach 80 or so. Is this true? And, if so, I've been considering reincarnating into something like Tae'Dae or Loboshigaru; I [i]despise[/i] being squishy. I absolutely, positively, [i]hate[/i] it. That said, I know that Lobo would screw me over for Influencing, and Tae'dae would mess me up for regular bashing; though I don't know how much Intellect plays into my Symbol/DemonWeb and all that. 

4.) Now, bashing the other day, I was told to use DemonWeb instead of Cosmicfire or Symbol. Is there any solid way to determine when I should use Demonweb over Symbol? I recall there being a command that'd tell you what a creature is resistant to, but I rather forget it. It's not probe or con, as far as I've been able to tell. 

Finally, here's my skill list, just so everyone knows

Common Skills         Rank           Pool
-------------         ------------   ------------
Combat                Capable        Melee
Resilience            Inept          Fitness
Discernment           Expert         Intellect
Highmagic             Virtuoso       Arcana
Planar                Expert         Mysticism
Discipline            Adept          Willpower
Environment           Novice         Communion
Influence             Fabled         Magnetism
Dramatics             Apprentice     Performance
Arts                  Capable        Finearts
Beastmastery          Inept          Magnetism
Aethercraft           Adept          Mysticism

Trade Skills          Rank           Pool
Enchantment           Transcendent   Arcana
    Spellcraft

Guild Skills          Rank           Pool
Rituals               Transcendent   Arcana
    Necromancy
Cosmic                Mythical       Mysticism
    Nihilism
Tarot                 Adept          Willpower

Answers

• edited January 2014
    Influencing is a good way to get you through levels 80-90+ before your critical hits start noticeably kicking in, but influencing with only 14 CHA is kind of unfathomable to me. Are you playing a race that gets some kind of influencing bonus to supplement that? If so - that should factor in to what you influence. Take advantage of the boosts.

Thrones require 1250 commodities. They are worth getting, whatever the cost. I am not really sure what to tell you about how to raise the gold - it's pretty easy to come by whatever route you take. You could save by shopping around for cheaper comms. Also, use a karmic beauty blessing.

When people refer to the kephera, they're referring to all the hives. A couple are bigger than the others, but people just go from one to the next. The kephera workers are weak to charity, and can be a decent source of gold.

It is just PROBE to view mobs' weaknesses and resistances.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • I influenced almost exclusively to Demigod, with maybe 2 or 3 astral trips, and a couple of aetherhunts.

However, Parua is a furrikin, and has a higher base charisma, as well as at the time, furrikin were blessed by beauty (+1 cha) and I was running with both beauty and harmony blessings. Ikon bonuses are nothing to sneeze at, giving up to a 200% increase in experience gained from influencing. Influencing is also much, much safer, as you won't die from influencing a stack. You can get decent experience just influencing the guards in your city, though I don't recommend being a nexus zombie, as that tends to irritate people.

As far as gold goes, selling esteem is more of a bonus income than something to depend on. Begging is going to be more reliable for money, though neither is really going to net you a whole lot, unless you are begging in the right places, and people tend to be very protective about where they go to influence.

As far as race goes, gogo Aslaran master race. Aslaran's are basically good, if not great, at every class in the game. Otherwise, look at your guild members and figure out what race is most popular, that tends to be a decent indicator.

Once you have your Trans bashing attack, you'll never really want to use your symbol again. At least, that's what I understand. Not every mob lists weaknesses, because not every mob has them. (again, from what I can tell)
    A whisper from the trees and a frosty presence tells you, secretly, "But you are strong, little 
    flower, and wise." The voice shifts and expands, becoming more real. "And everything you just said 
    in the ritual made me feel safer. You should, too."
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.

Parua said:
    Once you have your Trans bashing attack, you'll never really want to use your symbol again. At least, that's what I understand. Not every mob lists weaknesses, because not every mob has them. (again, from what I can tell)
    Archliches are weird, they don't get a spammable attack at trans.

Anyway Jasted, you have my sympathies for playing probably the worst class in the game to level up as a basher. Nihilists have crap damage attacks, very situational, limited mitigation (Putrefaction is far better for Knights, even after several envoys on it) and a racial association in Viscanti that helps little because :lolViscanti:

Taking that fact aside, the reason many people suggest influencing at 80-95 is because the bashing areas for those levels are either too painful or too little exp, your crit rate is low, and you can pop an ikon and just influence the crap out of allsorts. Kephera, Illithoid, Chancel, Asylum and towards the latter end Lirangsha and Forsaken.

Throne is an optional for you, another is using Karma beauty, as it's +2 weighted to your Charisma stat. Selling esteem should get you the income needed to afford a throne, also make use of wetfold origami, they'll help your ego regeneration and increase the amount of esteem you generate.

Are you in an Order? Empower your God's realm. It's good experience and esteem and you'll get a Health/Mana/Ego boost for your troubles.

Being squishy is par for the course, if you're going through somewhere dangerous, pop putrefaction, make sure you've got a health bonus up (also if you've no constitution bonuses at all, eat a constitution platter for the +1 con stat). As far as a race goes, you can never really go wrong with Faeling, especially if you take the influencing route. You'll be tough enough to farm elemental for essence, doing so should generate Ikons which you can consume for influence xp bonuses.

Also remember if you have the right performances in dramatics, you can the strength of your influencing attacks, also invest in scents (Dragonsblood, Vanilla, Sandalwood etc.) and when you do get a beast, train them to improve your various influences.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.

Nihilist is always squishy. Female keph or Master Viscanti are decent tanky caster races.

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    You can probe creatures to see if they have weaknesses/resists (some mobs I've found it only shows while living) and if none come up, it has none.

Symbol strike is a stronger attack for Nihilists than cosmicfire, by far, UNLESS the mob is extremely resistant to the damage type, in which case, go with demonweb. FYI Symbol strike is 100% excorable damage, and demonweb is 50% poison 50% psychic, so you should choose based on what you are attacking first.

Viscanti charisma is pretty damned sucky, but it's doable. Slow and tedious, but doable. If you're considering changing your race and ever want to be involved in PK, I encourage you to speak to the likes of Silvanus/Daedalion/Thoros first or you may make a horrible horrible mistake.

Get a throne. You're a d'Murani, hit your Dad up for a loan or flutter your eyes at rich aunt Lavinya, we can't let our own live like paupers *scoff*. I did a lot of influencing on my trek to demi, you just have to get as much benefit as you can - throne, trans influencing, dramatics, wetfold, oil, karma blessing, always keep up fortuna and netzach, etc. If you're not enemied you can influnce kephera (any and all hives) just the same you would illithoid.

There's a post here somewhere with good locations for bashing and influencing for your level,  you should take a look for it!

Wump for pk!

• edited January 2014
    Wow, thanks for all the help, guys! Really appreciate it. However, I'm still rather puzzled on one aspect; is changing my race a good thing for me to do, for the Charisma benefits over the experience benefit of being a human? If so, what race? I was thinking Tae'dae, (though Illithoid looks tempting with it's massive CON and decent INT) but if I ever have to bash, that would...suck, as their Intelligence is, just. Well. Crap. Also, Ikons are stackable? I wasn't aware.

And, Morkaion, how does farming essence give you Ikons? I've only ever gotten them from doing quests.

(Lavinya, you slay me XD)
    Every time you kill a mob that drops essence you've a chance to gain an Ikon related to that elemental plane. Putting essence in your nexus gives you a chance to gain an Ikon for your org.

And to my knowledge Ikons aren't stackable. I may be misinformed on this however if anyone can absolutely confirm otherwise.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Illithoid is a horrible choice if you're considering influencing.

Charisma affects influence speed and strength, which means higher always means better. There's no need to go all the way to 25 (not that anyone can) - 17-18 is decent enough for the casual influencer, whereas 20-21 can possibly compete with bashing speed up to something like level 90+ in terms of exp over time. Past 90, your crit rate almost always ensures bashing will be faster. All the more if you get enough lessons in discipline for damageshift.

Similarly for int, a higher int helps a lot, but you really only need 17-18 to hit decently hard enough. If you can get 20-21, you'll hit hard, of course, but not so much more that you'll be twice as fast or anything ridiculous like that.

The real speed boosts for the push to demi are crits and exp bonuses. The clincher in lusternia is that exp bonuses can be stacked. So if you can get goldentonics, a truefavour, golden lips, lowmagic spring and human race, and you stack them all together, you'll notice a great difference. You don't get access to lowmagic, of course, but you get access to that darkchant something that boosts exp, iirc. Farm and carefully save a couple of achievement bonuses will go a looong way too. (Ie. kill 999 rats, influence 999 units, then pop both achievements at the same time to get stacked exp bonuses).

Note that ikons can give you up to 200% exp bonus (only affects influencing, though) that stacks with all the abovementioned ones, which makes influencing to demigod actually a very viable strategy to take. With the right stacking and the right routine, it can actually be faster than bashing.

tl;dr - your race doesn't actually matter that much, as long as you can get to the sweet spot of 17-18 for whichever stat you are using. Once there, just invest in some exp boosts and a few bags of coffee.

• Lerad said:
    all the way to 25 (not that anyone can)
    I know a Warbling Trill that has some words to speak with you.

• Consider buying a divinus whip if you can stand the irony of it. Nihilists are still getting shafted in terms of endgame bashing due to resists, and even when playing a good bashing class they still pay off. Ask someone to loan your theirs and give it a try, you will notice the difference for sure. I still don't find it a good solution, but at least there is one, back when I played my Nihilist we had to do this the old school way. Now that I'm playing as Nekotai I keep being amazed at the difference even without the whip, for a long time I just assumed it was me that sucked :P Still, you can make this work, especially if you get good at influencing. In retrospect I should have done that myself, but I made it to Demi on that character so there is hope ;)

For your race, remember there are race hats, so pick something for which the stats suit you and get a hat if need be. Others have given good advice in regards to which race you might pick. I would say pick something that isn't human, they are good initially but since you did not start as them pick something that will last you through endgame. Unless you want to buy a dagger later down the line. 

For places to influence, all the hives are good. Just keep notes on what places seem to work best for you, and know it will change as people move about. Work with it, not against it. Take advantage of your timezone when you can, I often play early on weekends because then it is quiet, again this is different for everyone and moves around. 
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.

Honestly, if you are smart about what you hunt, wump is all around the best choice. High int and crazy fast eq. As long as you are smart and careful, you can bash quicker than any other race. You may have to be more careful than you would as an illithoid, but you'll outpace illithoids/viscanti/whatever by a fair margin.

Just don't get involved in pk as a wump until you're a buffed up demi. You'll get eaten alive.

edited January 2014
    The only issue with going wump pre Demi, is that your bashing will suck because :Nihilist: and your influencing won't be great because frogs are not the most charismatic of beings, so levelling will be painful.

It's really one of those scenarios where what's good levelling and what's good at endgame are two different kettle of fish.

Wumps are fine at leveling pre-demi. Requires slightly more thought and caution because you're squishy, but still much better than any other race.

Nihilist wump with enough levels can clear kephera just fine as long as they avoid the guard clumps. Luckily they aren't aggro so it's easy.

Kephera are horrible xp to level off post 80, and it's frustrating when everyone else is rolling ahead with begging in chancel/lirangsha/forsaken/climanti past with high charisma, not having to worry about damage intake or low crit levels.

I got demi before the age of lips and ikons, and personally hate influencing. I think I have less than 1000 influences since Lusternia started tracking killed and influenced mobs. BACK IN MY DAY! 

So I have no idea. I just know Mugwump is the most bang for your back if you want to powerbash.

• Task Stats: Celina
    Mob Influences: 2,864

Damn liar.
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    Morkarion said:
    Anyway Jasted, you have my sympathies for playing probably the worst class in the game to level up as a basher. Nihilists have crap damage attacks, very situational, limited mitigation (Putrefaction is far better for Knights, even after several envoys on it) and a racial association in Viscanti that helps little because :lolViscanti:

I just wanna point out that the first Demigod in the game was a nihilist
  • Munsia said:
    Morkarion said:

I just wanna point out that the first Demigod in the game was a nihilist
    Hey it's not like anything bashing/experience related has changed in 9 years, right?

Pretty sure Morkarion was talking about the current state of the game in which we're all, you know, playing right now.
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    I'm still playing 9 years ago.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    edited January 2014
    bringing in resists/weaknesses opened up a biiiig disparity in bashing, especially when your main attack is 100% excorable and 95% of the mobs are resistant to it.

My divinus whip is awesome. Really must get that customisation done.

Ardmore said:
    Task Stats: Celina
    Mob Influences: 2,864

Damn liar.
    MY SECRET IS REVEALED. My true love is influencing.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I thought I was your true love :(
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.