Let’s 86 Ambassadors.

The game has changed to the point where ambassadors are pretty superfluous. Any difficult decision is going to require council approval and any decision which doesn’t can be handled by an aide.

Given we have the collegium now. Why not just handle the normal cases of citizenship though the Chancellors and Professors?

It made sense to have ambassadors before the collegium, but ambassadors really are no longer needed.

Comments

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I'm with Talan, give them the ability to better act as an ambassador -  the person who knows the proceedure and can see about implementing it in the case of foreign converts. The GAs and their underlings really have novices covered already.

• Most the time the ambassador just is not doing any of this, at least not fully. If it is enemy statuses it is usually the org and it seems overkill to me to have an office to clear enemy city/commune status, especially when the council can and often insists on clearing the status themselves.

Generally, the guild's approval is a requirement when an ambassador is needed. I get that is isn't currently the job of undersecs to do so, but that doesn't mean it could not be part of their job, especially since they're usually involved anyways.

Here's a snapshot:

10.2.1 SERENWILDE COMMUNE, GRACE OF THE MOONHART

[THE FREE FOREST OF SERENWILDE]
                        Ambassador: (Vacant)

10.2.4 GLOMDORING COMMUNE, THE HEART OF DARKNESS

[THE FREE ALLIANCE OF GLOMDORING]
                        Ambassador: Kethaera

10.2.2 CELEST, RESURGENCE OF THE LIGHT

[THE HOLY GRAND DUCHY OF NEW CELEST]
                        Ambassador: Glevich

10.2.3 CITY OF MAGNAGORA, THE ENGINE OF TRANSFORMATION

[THE GRAND EMPIRE OF MAGNAGORA]
                        Ambassador: Nayl

10.2.6 GAUDIGUCH, CITY OF FREEDOM

[THE HOLY GRAND DUCHY OF GAUDIGUCH]
                        Ambassador: Zygot

10.2.5 HALLIFAX, THE BEACON OF HARMONY

[THE GRAND PROVINCE OF HALLIFAX]
                        Ambassador: Allyrianne

One vacant, at least one one pretty inactive, at least one going inactive soon.

When the ambassador functioned as welcome wagon it made a lot more sense. Now the collegium have in large part taken over most of the role with councils taking over quite a bit as well. Most orgs make you involve the guild to process requests. Just cut out the middle man whose major impact at this point is just to make it take longer to get citizen-ed.

• The Vacant one is because I just left Serenwilde. :P
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Glomdoring's ambassador role is one that's not only filled but well utilised. It delegates work and co-ordination where people are able to route one into an organisation if they wish to join, and there's no crossed wires or oversights.

Our ambassador and her predecessors have all done an excellent job in this regard, making sure people are unenemied, directing them in the right place if they aren't, and explaining the sponsorship system to them. From a GC point of view, they're also brilliant for me, because I've someone to be communicative with if I have objections, concerns or want to make a note regarding certain applicants, and it's all going through one person, so nothing slips through the cracks.

I'm with Talan, if anything, Ambassadors need more tools, not to be made redundant.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    I disagree that ambassadors are useless. What I do feel, though, is that they do not have enough power.... then again, that's a bit of a pain in the first place. If I am approached to settle an enemy status, I can only ask the person seeking unenemied about any status unrelated to my guild. That's probably where ambassador should step in and they should have the ability to -check- if an individual has any enemy status related to Divine pantheon, guilds, guild-aligned organizations. Shouldn't be too hard a thing to code in, and it could also be the stepping stone to adding a DIPLOMACY <person> SUMMARY ability... so people can actually look at certain individuals with laurels to make sure enemy statuses are/aren't there.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    I thought Ambassadors can already check a list of statuses a person has against their organisation and affiliates?

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• They can.

DIPLOMACY SUMMARY <person> - all related organization enemy statuses.
    They can? Never heard of that... I know DIPLOMACY SUMMARY exists for the user only. Anything else isn't documented for sure.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    edited February 2014
    If you use DIPLOMACY, it lets you know all the commands that exist. While an Ambassador can do Diplomay Summary (person), they can't enemy or unenemy or set fines for anyone. They have to be a guild protector to do that.

What I think should happen is a city should be allowed to organize their organization's ministries/government style anyway they want and invest powers like a Clan leader. For example, combine the Steward/Treasurer/Trade Minister into one ministry and name it something else (not saying orgs will do that because some like checks/balances for people in power) just something to give more customization and  personable feeling towards an organization.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    There are some ministries that could stand to be removed or combined though, namely treasurer/steward.
    Enyalida said:
    There are some ministries that could stand to be removed or combined though, namely treasurer/steward.
    Yeah, steward is such a... waste. Only reason it exists, though, is as a check on the treasurer, so one person cannot assign funds to their ministry and then withdraw said funds.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    They can already be combined; just appoint the same person to both.

I personally feel it is better to give orgs the ability to decide if they want one person to be able to move funds around to that extent (aside from the CL, of course).