Forum Ranks

edited October 2012 in Forum News

We've changed forum ranks as follows:

You can only edit your posts for one hour UNLESS you are rank Apprentice or higher (then you can edit anytime).

You can create signatures at Novice rank or higher.

You can start polls at Capable rank or higher.

You can customize titles at Transcendent rank.

Comments

• When do you reach those ranks? Is it related to posts, or to points, or something else?
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I'm guessing points, I went to "level 2" at somewhere around 50 points.

Now the levels apparently have better names.
    edited October 2012
    Having considered it a bit further, I reached 50 posts around the time I reached 50 points, so my experience is inconclusive.

What I do know is this:
    Spambots love to make little innocuous posts and then either edit them or put in a signature at a later date.

I've spent a significant amount of time going back to suspicious posts and "camping" them until the inevitable edit, simply to smite (/report) them with great fury.

And now... with a few simple tweaks, those spambots are now toothless!  They cannot put in a signature, they cannot edit their post days later, and to top that off they would also have to create a character.

/commence gleeful forum-dance.
    edited October 2012
    From another thread:

Phoebus - Posts: 17 Inept (19 points)
    Tacita - Posts: 5 Novice (33 points)

So, that lends weight to the point-theory.

• PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    :c I don't wanna be the ineptitude poster child.
    I have faith in you.  You will outgrow it soon.
  • I guess I just didn't pay close enough attention to the old forums.   Were there forum ranks with accompanying benefits before?  Out of curiosity, why do we need that kind of setup?

• On the previous forum there was only one benefit that I remember. The ability to create a custom title for yourself. You got that when reaching transcendant. Xenthos already pointed out one benefit of having the limit on when you can edit posts, and by requiring people to have a certain level of activity on the forums in order to do certain things, it might encourage people to peruse and use the forums more actively.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • edited February 2014

• It's almost like all the progress made on the old forums was just erased with a merciless swipe
  • Estwald said:
    It's almost like all the progress made on the old forums was just erased with a merciless swipe
    Unfortunately there was no way to carry them over. Would've if we could've!
  • I second asking how many lessons points it takes to rank up through the forums. Especially if it's dependent on that little point total that increases whenever it feels like.

.oO---~---Oo.

"Perfect. Please move quickly to the next post, as the effects of prolonged exposure to the signature are not part of this test."

NARF!

• It increases when you get "Agree"s at least. Which means you'll need to write deep and insightful posts.
  • edited February 2014

That's cheating. :(
  • Ssaliss said:
    It increases when you get "Agree"s at least. Which means you'll need to write deep and insightful posts.
    Are you certain about that? I have gotten some agrees as well, but it doesn't seem to have altered my point status in any way.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • Kiradawea said:
    Ssaliss said:
    It increases when you get "Agree"s at least. Which means you'll need to write deep and insightful posts.
    Are you certain about that? I have gotten some agrees as well, but it doesn't seem to have altered my point status in any way.
    When I agree with you, I see your score go up by 1.

• Ah. But then disagree must deduct one point. Just doublechecked, and I have an equal amount of agree to disagree, and my point total is the same as when I had none of either.
    It does, yes.  It is meant to encourage you to be more helpful than not.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.

Cookies are delicious. Everyone loves cookies.

Like this if you like cookies. Or puppies. Or alcohol. Or bacon. I appeal to broad spectrum.

• Apparently not broad enough...

Should try to appeal to Mac users as well next time!
    Appealing to Mac users will net you some people, but others... not so much.

That's it, Tacita. This means war.

What about bacon alcohol. They have bacon vodka, you know. It was disgusting...but I still drank it.

• Should net you all who like neither cookies nor puppies nor bacon nor alcohol.

What about Xenthos. Like this if you think Xenthos is full of shazbat.

So you are saying that there are a significant number of Mac fanatics who do not like cookies, puppies, bacon or alcohol.

Hmm.  *ponder Eventru and his iPhone*
  • I'm saying that the archetypical Mac fanatic is a cake/cat/carrot person.
  • TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
    I now have a moral obligation to dislike all of Celina's posts.

It's on.

• edited October 2012
    I am loving this disagreeing war. Not sure who to cheer for. Both have left the Ysav'rai family ...

Edit: Actually, I just remembered Celina is a Nightshade and Tacita is not. that makes it easier to cheer for someone.