Virtual reality

I've been watching this anime called Sword Art Online and it's a really good action a lot way better than dot-hack sign like there' s fighting every  other episode.I was thinking do we have the technology for something of this magnitude where your brain acts as the controller? Like i've seen things called the Oculus rift  and I wonder if it match up to what it feels like in Sword art online then eating food actually matters because your brain lets you feel it go down! Just thought if people cared about this stuff its not really related to Lusternia so I was just wondering if it could of gone into here.

Comments

• ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    Look into the Emotiv. I've actually done work with the Emotiv in college. It translates your brainwaves into computer data. A bit (very) clunky and fragile, not as good as an EEG, but amazing nonetheless. A pain in the butt to use to play Tetris with though.
  • i'll check into that...should I just google it?
    Dysolis said:
    i'll check into that...should I just google it?
    Googling it's certainly a start. Feel free to look it up on youtube. There's a video of someone controlling a toy helicopter with it. Personally, I've used it for the purposes of music synthesis.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Hey, I liked .hack//SIGN! ROOTS wasn't too bad, and LOTT was God-awful, but SIGN was pretty awesome, and really explored isolationism and escapism.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Oh yes, I'm all about casting away this mundane reality for a virtual fantasy world. 

Oculus Rift isn't there yet, but it's a start. See also: Virtuix Omni, which is supposed to be able to simulate 360-degree movement and motion control. We're taking baby steps into the future, guys! Bring on the singularity!
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Check out Sword art, it's got great action.
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    Actually, the hopes for the future is to combine the emotiv and the oculus
  • Intriguing... I was wondering if the emotive could get rid of my problem that i've been having.. with voices.
    The Emotiv headset's only output is data which is sent to the computer. Its input are (not-yet identified by the consumer) the very dull electrical pulses sent through the brain by a variety of brainwaves. Emphasis on very dull, as the Emotiv's nodes must be thoroughly soaked in order to even recognize the existence of them, no less use them for data collection purposes.

Again, I must impress, the Emotiv's ONLY OUTPUT is data, which is sent by the headset wirelessly to the USB that comes with the headset, so long as the USB is connected to a powered-on computer that recognizes the USB device and so long as the Emotiv headset is also turned on and full charged.
  • yeah but can't you control machines with Emotiv?

Yes, though indirectly.

In order to control, say, an Arduino with an Emotiv, you must have the Arduino connected to the computer. Then you have to use a software called MindYourOSCs, which translates the raw data into the OSC format (used for sound and music typically) and from there you must have the Arduino take the OSC data and parse it for numerical input, ranging from 0.0 to 1.0 for many of the various channels, though if I recall correctly one of the channels is 0-255.
  • I guess this isn't for me then because I believe Schitzophreina is actually behind a machine but no one else agrees with me.
  • A computer like device id say its in the shape of a lap top and is 100 percent touch screen.
  • The .hack series is appealing in its own way, though it is a bit of a mind[redacted] in some parts, no denying that...
    Kiss of the Enchantress hisses eerily, "Let them fear, and despair."
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion, too.
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    edited February 2014
    Noein was pretty heavy on that, but I don't remember anything in Evangelion being in those lines

But these are derails.
  • I did a little searching and found that sony was doing vr with ps4.
  • If you don't think that NGE is a mind[REDACTED], i'm not sure what show you were watching, heh
  • what's nge and whats redacted?
  • NGE stands for Neon Genesis Evangelion which was published as a anime and a manga (I don't know if there is a game, too). The [redacted] probably refers to the second part of the word since it can be considered as a swearword.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited February 2014
    I kinda feel sorry for Spike Spencer, the guy who did the voice for Shinji from NGE, in the later episodes and in the Death and Rebirth/End of Evangelion movies, he told me that he had to do so much screaming that at one point he actually hurt his vocal cords x_x

(and yes, Spike is actually a friend of mine.)

Me and Spike in California, we took this before we went for a wander up to Runyon Canyon.

Aerdiya said:
    NGE stands for Neon Genesis Evangelion which was published as a anime and a manga (I don't know if there is a game, too). The [redacted] probably refers to the second part of the word since it can be considered as a swearword.

Yes, several Neon Genesis Evangelion games were released in the past.  A full list of them can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Neon_Genesis_Evangelion_video_games

Enough derailing though,  on the topic of VR, a few things have been done in the past that I know of, though none of the older ones were able to use your mind to control anything.  It's also been used in April Fools Jokes, such as this one from World of Warcraft

Sadly the original April Fools joke is no longer around, some info about it can be found at http://www.wowwiki.com/Battle.net_Neural_Interface though
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • Yeah something like nerve gear is apparently going to take at least 10 years from what I heard on different fourms i've visited.