Guild Races Lists: GAs, post your guild's!

124»

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Yeah, I'll probably do that. He's awesome.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • ...orclach Nihilist would be so awesome just from the point of "LOOK AT ME MOMMY I'M JUST LIKE URLACH"
  • Orclach and Taurian are vaguely plausible as Nihilists, I guess. You'd do fine in combat (guardian combat does not strongly depend on stats), so if you're willing to invest 275 credits on getting a whip, or get all your XP from aetherbashing, you could totally play one and have that work out. They probably shouldn't be recommended, but it is a character that you could play.
  • edited November 2013
    Daraius said:
    Morkarion said:
    Parua said:
    You should not be forced by mechanics to not be able to pick a race simply because it's not optimal for the guild.

No one has said optimal races only, otherwise every Knight guild would pigeonhole you into Aslaran.

You're confusing "optimal" with "races that aren't utterly terrible" there's a massive difference.
    If you've been reading, you'll see there's been talk of putting mechanically bad races in the restricted category, which is what @Parua (and I, and everyone asking for a 'discouraged' category and the ability to make brief notes on each race) objects to.
    You know... the more I think about the issue this is already possible. Guild Administrators can already edit CGHELP and GHELP files. With some careful referencing, you could establish the following:

RECOMMENDED

NEUTRAL: encouraged

NEUTRAL: discouraged

RESTRICTED

Working within the pre-defined mechanics of the new GUILD RACES syntax, neutral-based "encouraged" and "discouraged" could easily be defined through the use of CGHELP and GHELP. I'll take some time to craft my guild documentation, and post here as a clear example of what is already possible.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Not sure a race with an EQ malus can ever be considered "good" for a guardian race.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Janalon said:
    You know... the more I think about the issue this is already possible. Guild Administrators can already edit CGHELP and GHELP files. With some careful referencing, you could establish the following:

RECOMMENDED

RESTRICTED

Working within the pre-defined mechanics of the new GUILD RACES syntax, neutral-based "encouraged" and "discouraged" could easily be defined through the use of CGHELP and GHELP. I'll take some time to craft my guild documentation, and post here as a clear example of what is already possible.
    I think the question then becomes: Can newbies read GHELP files at this stage of the intro, and will they think to or be prompted to?
  • Aerotan said:
    I think the question then becomes: Can newbies read GHELP files at this stage of the intro, and will they think to or be prompted to?
    That is exactly my question. I did create a new character to see "when" novices are guided to pick race. As I made my way through the tutorial, I found myself selecting an org and guild prior to selecting race. I'm not sure if other players, especially true novices will have the same experiences. 

I am gambling that if the org's collegium professors can welcome the newbie first, all will be well... or well enough that they will be pointed to the correct CGHELP file prior to choosing a race. Then again, novices choosing a race prior to being guild greeted isn't much different than what we had previous to this new GUILD RACES syntax.
  • Thing is that collegium professors may not be able to see the novice at that point, since they still have to do the whole "talk on CT to show up in org lists" thing. So we're kind of stuck. I kind of have to agree with the sentiment that with 'restricted' being essentially a 'deny' option, it shouldn't be used to discourage the use of less-than-viable races, but should be raced that are outright banned.

That said, I can also understand where the other line of thought is coming from in that it's going to make the novice's live rather a bit harder to be, for instance, a Taurian mage or a Faeling paladin. Are the newbies directed to read the HELP <guild> files? And if so, can those files be edited to include a short blurb on races?
  • I'm going to discuss this with my fellow leaders and hope to have a list by the end of today. If not tomorrow. Sorry for slacking :/
    Mysrai, the Beckoner Beyond the Maze intones, "Continue to manifest the paradigm of working, My Alary."
    The Divine voice of Camus the Cinderfly echoes in your head, "Thank you, once-body. I am happy that I fell into that eye."
  • Aerotan said:
    Janalon said:

RECOMMENDED

RESTRICTED

Yes, they get prompted to choose race after they choose a guild.
  • Estarra said:
    Yes, they get prompted to choose race after they choose a guild.
    I'm not so sure I like the idea of prompting a novice to choose race immediately after selecting a guild. I'm guessing they will make a decision prior to the collegium welcome and being directed to read any help file (i.e. Glomdoring CGHELP STINGS) much less be redirected to guild help (i.e. Nekotai GHELP GUILDRACES). 

I'm assuming that neither collegium professors nor guild leadership will mediate the process of race choice. @estarra, I would much prefer a method where guilds could decide where and when to inform novices about race options. See below for the first draft of the Nekotai guild race help file. 

Right now I'm leaning towards making race selection novice proof by removing clear bad choices, even if that limits "RP Options" for more knowledgeable players. After all, a more seasoned Alt would be able to advocate for him or herself by asking me to temporarily remove the racial restriction.

+-------------------+
    | RECOMMENDED RACES |
    +-------------------+

Undertaking the Scorpion Arts of Nekotai requires considerable training
    in both strength and dexterity (with a concerted emphasis on the
    latter). Some Cultists favor races who rapidly attack with Wasp-like
    stings, while others favor the Beetle-like carapace of hearty
    consitution and regeneration.

o Aslaran
    -> Quicker balance recovery suited for higher affliction rate.
    -> Adequte constitution and strength. Also suited for influencing.
    -> Acrobatic aslaran are among the most proficient monk combatants.

o Illithoid
    -> Master race for stealth monks with a bonus to handling nekai.
    -> Inflated ego due to inner worm well suited for psychometabolism.
    -> Hearty constitution. High regeneration while in cave terrain.
    -> Can sense mental presence of others within same local area.
    -> Lacks charisma. Not at all suited for influencing denizen.

o Faeling
    -> Quickest balance recovery suited for highest affliction rate.
    -> Low health compensated by faster herb and potion consumption rate.
    -> Faeling are delicate. Negligible strength impedes true potential.

o Loboshigaru
    -> Sturdy constitution and health regen suited for psychometabolism.
    -> Above average strength well suited for wounding the opponent.
    -> Quite hearty. Considered better suited as bloodthirsty hunters.

o Taurian
    -> Taurian rage strength bonus and minor health regeneration.
    -> Lower intelligence and charisma leaves mana and ego vulnerable.

+---------------------+
    | NEUTRAL: encouraged |
    +---------------------+

Racial shortcomings can be compensated by magnifying one's strengths,
    careful Spider-like planning, and taking full use of Bat-like
    furtiveness to veil weakness. Acute knowledge of hunting and combat can
    easily overcome the lack of natural, inborn predatory qualities. These
    races can also attain honour in the hunt and on the battlefield.

o Dracnari
    -> Dracnari were among the first initiates of Grandmother Scorpion.
    -> Minor alcohol tolerance: increase defense while drinking ales.
    -> Notable strength and health; mediocre dexterity impedes combat.

o Human
    -> Quite average, with no glaring strengths or areas of weakness.
    -> Gains essence (or experience) quickly. Well suited for novices.
    -> Humans adapt with inflated strength, dexterity, and constitution.

o Dwarf
    -> Major alcohol tolerance: increase defense while drinking ales.
    -> Varying degrees of resistance to physical and magical damage.
    -> Notable strength and health; mediocre dexterity impedes combat.

o Furrikin
    -> Quick balance recovery suited for high combat afflictions rate.
    -> Low health compensated by faster herb and potion consumption rate.
    -> Superior intelligence and charisma. Well suited for influencing.

o Krokani
    -> Single eye perceives beyond through simple illusions and blindness.
    -> Above average strength: well suited for wounding the opponent.
    -> Lower intelligence and charisma leaves mana and ego vulnerable.

o Orclach
    -> Sturdy constitution and health regen suited for psychometabolism.
    -> Lower intelligence and charisma; greater weaknesses than Taurian.

+----------------------+
    | NEUTRAL: discouraged |
    +----------------------+

Even with the most acute training, not every Cultist can aspire to
    excel; Scorpion perfection is a lofty, unattainable goal. Ill-suited
    races may still find a niche by taking up a profitable trade, piloting
    an aetherfleet, participating in village politics, performing guild
    rites, or contributing to guild cutlture through research and writing.

o Elfen
    -> Master race for Serenwilde: Glomdoring's sworn ethereal enemy.
    -> Lacking strength and health. Without clear benefit to Nekotai.

o Viscanti
    -> Master race for Magnagora: Glomdoring's tainted northern neighbor.
    -> Above average strength, constitution, and damage resistances.
    -> Slow elixer recovery and mediocre of dexterity is major detriment.

o Lucidian
    -> Lucidians were among the first initiates of Grandmother Scorpion.
    -> Fragile strength and constitution. Inferior dexterity. Poor choice.

o Trill
    -> Notable strength and dexterity. Mediocre health impedes combat.
    -> Can regenerate health while flying; otherwise a fragile race.

+------------------+
    | RESTRICTED RACES |
    +------------------+

Some races are poorly suited to undertaking study of the Scorpion Arts.
    True guild novices are restricted to select races with a malus to
    balance recovery or subpar health and dexterity. Furthermore, there is a
    strict guild mandate that entirely restricts kephera from ever joining
    the Cult of Nekotai.

o Igasho
    -> Slower balance recovery and lack of dexterity is major detriment.
    -> Average charisma and faster herb recovery suited for influencing.
    -> Hearty race: superior strength and health. Minor regeneration.

o Kephera
    -> Master race for harmony monks; vehemently opposed to Illithoid.
    -> Nekotai mandate prohibits Kephera from joining the Scorpion Cult.
    -> Racial tension encourages Nekotai to hunt and kill kephera at will.

o Merian
    -> Mediocre strength, dexterity, and health not suited to Nekotai.
    -> Quick equilibrium recovery. Strong charisma and intelligence.
    -> Ideally suited for mages and bards. No clear benefit to Nekotai.

o Mugwump
    -> Average strength and dexterity. Mediocre health and charisma.
    -> Quick equilibrium recovery and superior levels of intelligence.
    -> Ideally suited for mages and bards. No clear benefit to Nekotai.

o Tae'dae
    -> Slower balance recovery and lack of dexterity is major detriment.
    -> Strong charisma and faster elixer recovery suited for influencing.
    -> Hearty race: superior strength, health, and damage resistance.

+---------------+
    | REINCARNATION |
    +---------------+

If you find yourself unhappy with your race, you have available to you,
    once in your lifetime, a free reincarnation. While dead, you must
    journey to the Portal of Fate, and REINCARNATE INTO . Doing so
    allows you to choose a new race. You must be dead to reincarnate.
    </tt>
    That's the way to do it :)
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited December 2013
    So right now, looking at the Moondancer races, our list looks like

--[ Recommended Races]--------------------------------------------------------
    elfen    faeling  mugwump

--[ Neutral Races]------------------------------------------------------------
    aslaran      furrikin     kephera      lucidian     tae'dae
    dracnari     human        krokani      merian       taurian
    dwarf        igasho       loboshigaru  orclach      trill

--[ Restricted Races]---------------------------------------------------------
    illithoid  viscanti 

Looking at Faeling, I'm wondering why Furrikin is also not one of our recommended races. Base-stat wise, they are not all that different, especially as far as caster is concerned, with Faelings having 1 more point if Int and Dex to the Furrikins 2 more Con points.

The bigger differences are in the racials. with the balance and equilibrium levels, and the resists.

I'm no combatant, and I'm certainly not a min-maxer, but would I be crazy to add furrikin to our recommended races? Or is that 1 point of Int, and the fire malus that big of a deal?

I feel that, as a newbie, their experience as both furrikin and faeling early on is going to be really similar, as both are squishy squishy, and I can see the racial traits being a matter of preference, unless there is something I'm missing, which is why I am asking for help!
    A whisper from the trees and a frosty presence tells you, secretly, "But you are strong, little 
    flower, and wise." The voice shifts and expands, becoming more real. "And everything you just said 
    in the ritual made me feel safer. You should, too."
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Here is what we settled on for the Aeros after some discussion with all leaders involved and me primarily tossing out mechanically good choices. These should work for all caster classes, even if with some changes here and there:

aslaran   faeling   human     merian    trill
    elfen     furrikin  lucidian  mugwump

dracnari     igasho       kephera      loboshigaru  tae'dae      viscanti
    dwarf        illithoid    krokani      orclach      taurian

None.

Technically, I'd personally add Drac to the recommended races, but being that we are Hallifax, it wasn't that good of an idea. Female Kephera works, too... but eh, you can't exactly recommend race + sex combo. Anyways, I could go into lots of explanation and detail here, but one thing that I noticed about the Moondancer recommended races is that... you have no high-con/high-int races listed there. Casters don't -have- to be so low on hp, they'd fall over and die in a strong breeze. Lucidian and Dracnari are both races that are very reasonable choices for a druid/mage/wiccan/guardian, even unspecced. Especially considering you are already recommending faeling that's sitting at 15 int/9 con, a lucidian with 15 int/14 con is definitely a pretty reasonable choice.

As far as fire malus is concerned, you'll only see it in play in PvP... there aren't that many critters that deal fire damage for it to be a big deal, and of course, it can easily be countered with frost potion, fire proofing, fire absorb tattoo.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Furrikin seems like it would work out fine for a Moondancer.
  • I pondered it, I'll be honest, but yeah. They'd be pretty nice.
  • The Tahtetso currently have... 

aslaran      faeling      furrikin     kephera      loboshigaru

dracnari     human        lucidian     orclach      trill
    dwarf        igasho       merian       tae'dae
    elfen        krokani      mugwump      taurian

illithoid    viscanti   
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Merian as recommended race? People be crazy, especially these days.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
    Neos said:
    Merian as recommended race? People be crazy, especially these days.
    I recommend merian, especially with lemon and butter.
  • Shaddus said:
    I wish @Delphas used the forums so we could ask him why he set orclach and taurian as encouraged nihilist races :/ I know why he did it, because Fain loves orclach and taurians. That doesn't mean we need to encourage them to be nihilists :/
    The initial list was set to the founding races of Magnagora plus the Viscanti.  It was updated to reflect those who might have the greatest potential after consultation with others.
    </RANT>