How do you stay focused on bashing?

I can't do it to save my life. I'm determined to hit demigod at least once, but every time I see a .02 increase in my score, I die a little inside.

Best Answer

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited December 2012 Accepted Answer
    Don't check your score. Gag it if you have to. Set some other non-XP goal, like raising a certain (large) amount of gold or karma or essence. Is Aetherhunting still a thing? Do that - it's fun if you have the right crew.

I acknowledge the irony of my giving advice on maintaining focus on bashing.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."

Answers

• Meae said:
    I can't do it to save my life. I'm determined to hit demigod at least once, but every time I see a .02 increase in my score, I die a little inside.
    I play a lot of house music when I'm doing any sort of grind-work, be it building, bashing, coding, designing, etc. I can't stand silence (it drives me nuts), but anything with conversations (TV, movies, etc) is distracting. Steady rhythmic beats and the tendency for high energy music makes house perfect for me, and I can often go for hours (though admittedly, after a couple days I feel so burnt out!).
  • @Eventru, I haven't tried that. I'll definitely give that a swing.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I feel like that would throw you off of bashing... well.  Bashing NPCs in a text game.
  • Xenthos said:
    I feel like that would throw you off of bashing... well.  Bashing NPCs in a text game.
    You've clearly never been to a circuit party. I've never seen more focused and intent people in my life.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Eventru said:
    Xenthos said:
    You've clearly never been to a circuit party. I've never seen more focused and intent people in my life.
    Clearly not; I had to look up what you are talking about.

According to my always 100% reliable source, Wikipedia, the name is extremely misleading; they are not focused and intent on anything that has to do with circuits:|  I was envisioning something actually computer / electronics related when I went to search for it!

Yes, I am a techie.  Hmph.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    edited December 2012
    Oh, derp. I thought a circuit party was like, a LAN party. Gay guys!

(at this point I would be dropping a shrugging or gentle eye-rolling emoticon, but I have NO IDEA how to make them work)
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."

• Celina said:
    Hard drugs.
    If you guys merge into glaumiguch, that should be your motto.
  • Don't focus on bashing. Focus on Psychodrama instead!
    :)>-

But yeah, what Daraius said. Don't check your score. At all.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • edited December 2012
    I'm a zenbasher. When I hit the grind, I think of it as meditation. Try to lose myself in the scroll-by and just zone out and use the repetition to empty my mind entirely. If anything other than zoning out, I fixate on the impossible pursuit of absolute efficiency in my bashing. Then afterward I measure success in the credits purchased from the gold. Demi just sorta happens accidentally that way.
  • gmcp.Char.Vitals.nl is plenty enough to keep me focused. ;)
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    Taking momentary pause to interject into channel chatter is good for the sanity and replenishes your will to go on.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Have to second the listening to music thing. I also find myself more productive if I'm playing during off-peak. There's something about being the only one online in my org that makes me want to bash...I obsessively check my score though. Just because it makes me feel like there's a point to pointing my staff all over the place. Also. Damage shift. "I CAN'T LET THIS CRIT GO TO WASTE! AAA!" keeps me hunting more often than I care to admit.
  • Phoebus said:

Have to second the listening to music thing. I also find myself more productive if I'm playing during off-peak. There's something about being the only one online in my org that makes me want to bash...I obsessively check my score though. Just because it makes me feel like there's a point to pointing my staff all over the place. Also. Damage shift. "I CAN'T LET THIS CRIT GO TO WASTE! AAA!" keeps me hunting more often than I care to admit.

I'm with you on the obsessive score checking, especially late in the game. When I'm killing something for .003%, I will count out 100 then check to see if I got my full 3%
  • Phoebus said:
    I do definitely have a better time when everyone's offline, but I'm usually ready to sleep by then myself. The music thing is working!
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Find a really really long playlist of songs, like one of those 5 hour long epic music's that's mostly just all the Two Steps from Hell stuff on Youtube.

Stack the shit out of your xp buffs, and go to somewhere you know you can really bash out. I grinded out Titan on Icewynd with a 300% xp buff rolling, I actually could still see my gains.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• I've now resorted to driving even harder for my latest bashing spree with the entire reasoning behind it so I can start killing Mork again :p

Stop stealing my griefing crown, you!
  • Found 5 lessons I don't remember being there. Thanks you guys!
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Draylor said:
    I've now resorted to driving even harder for my latest bashing spree with the entire reasoning behind it so I can start killing Mork again :p

Stop stealing my griefing crown, you!
    I don't even want it, I just go on Elemental to farm essence and see filthy Serens and Mags beat me to it, and then decided to hang around so I can take it.

All essence is Glomdoring's, you just haven't realised it.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!