Random questions

I am not too clear on how guardian combat works especially with the combat overhaul underway.  I just don't want to pour resources down the "wrong" skill tree and get frustrated.  Can anyone give any guidelines for a Hallifax Researcher?  What qualities/stats are important? (I gather that equilibrium is important).  I gather that Tarot is more offfensive, Healing defenseive, and Astrology a mix of these two + utility.  Also what skill is a mercantile skill for a Researcher?  I actually like that Researchers seem to not be very populous right now, but can I ask why that is?  To me it just gives me more of a chance to make an impact in my guild.  

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    All three skills are handy, but I'd work on your two primary skills (Harmonics and Aeonics?) before your third skill. 

Intelligence will help you do more damage with your attacks. 

Researchers don't have any specific tradeskill which is better than others, but Enchantment/Spellcraft may be handy for you to make gold.

Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Hmm if intelligence is needed for damage and I train Aeonics as a Trill won't I become less competent? (or am I missing something?)
  • No, no, that's just for warriors- for Researchers, learning Harmonics gives you the race spec.
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    edited April 2014
    Hallifax Knights can also train Aeonics and get their own modified stats for doing so, which reduces intellect in exchange for strength, this doesn't affect Researchers.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Tridemon said:
    No, no, that's just for warriors- for Researchers, learning Harmonics gives you the race spec.
    Ah okay I read the in game help file.  http://www.lusternia.com/trill and http://www.lusternia.com/lucidian need to be updated.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I don't advise going into any trade skill to make gold, by far and away bashing/influencing will outpace the gold you'll ever make from a trade skill, and they don't require you to waste lessons that you may not otherwise ever use.
  • Enyalida said:
    I don't advise going into any trade skill to make gold, by far and away bashing/influencing will outpace the gold you'll ever make from a trade skill, and they don't require you to waste lessons that you may not otherwise ever use.
    Agreed, but as far as trade skills go I'd say learning to master in alchemy might be the best lessons/usefulness investment you could make
  • edited April 2014
    Manjusri said:
    Tridemon said:
    No, no, that's just for warriors- for Researchers, learning Harmonics gives you the race spec.
    Ah okay I read the in game help file.  http://www.lusternia.com/trill and http://www.lusternia.com/lucidian need to be updated.
    A note, the in game help files accessed with HELP LUCIDIAN and HELP TRILL provide the accurate information (that lucidians and trill who gain the harmonics specialization become prismatic or cloud respectively.) However the line does seem to need to be added to the website (though the website does, at least, specify that becoming an adamantine lucidian or storm trill is only for warriors with Aeonics.) Do we typo website problems?

As others have stated, it is likely best to focus on your primary and secondary skills first for a while, and then make a more informed and experienced choice of your tertiary later. From my (limited) understanding of combat mechanics, healing researchers are difficult to kill, tarot researchers have some nasty tricks they can play (also tarot has some really nice transport utility), and astrology is weird and can be incredibly effective in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing when the alignments of the constellations are good. If you're putting lessons into rituals/aeonics or cosmic/harmonics, you are not putting lessons down the 'wrong' skill tree. Though you may want to look into putting a few (32ish) lessons into some of the other common skills (particularly dramatics, influence, aethercraft) if you want to explore some of the non-hunting methods of levelling up/snag some useful utility skills like squint.

Ultimately, people have been effective researchers with all of the tertiaries. Neither prismatic nor cloud trill will handicap you particularly in combat. If you really want to min/max race, you should message/talk to the guild champion about it. If you want to learn a lot about your skills, you should collar people and play around in the Arena. Combat is very much balanced around at least guild trans, though there are things that you can do to be effective/helpful without maxing your skills out.

You can looks at your SKILLCHOICE LIST which should show all the tradeskills you can pick. As a highmagic user, you won't have access to any sort of alchemy/poisons/herbs, but you do get access to enchantment. Trade skills are not the best way to make money. If you want it primarily for the usefulness and simplicity of being able to help out/make your own whatever, that's well and good, but don't expect to earn money with it. To maximize profit, you should focus on skills that will help you hunt or influence. There's a CHELP file that lists who has what trade skill in the city (it's likely somewhat out of date) but it can give you an idea of which trade skills are likely to be more in demand/who to pester with questions about a particularly trade skill you might be interested in.

As to the size of the institute, Hallifax in general is one of the smaller nations, which means that all the guilds tend to be on the smaller side. Researchers do seem particularly on the small side just now, and the only real reason for it seems to be because that's the current way it is. It may also be that your playtimes are slightly off from the playtimes of the rest of the guild. Possibly it's that the Institute lends itself to a very focused on the scientific side of Hallifaxian roleplay, where the roleplay of the Aeromancers is seen as more flexible. The Insitute has also had changes least recently (the symphonium is the newest Hallifaxian guild, aerochemantics and the cavalier spec were added to the aeromancers and sentinels, nothing has really been added to the Institute on a skill level since they came out aside from various nerfs/buffs/tweaks.) Ultimately though, I think the small size is just small gameplay population. Researchers are effective in combat, have a solid rp identity both in themselves and their role in Hallifax, and a cool group of leaders, so there isn't too much to be concerned about.
  • edited April 2014
    Actually yeah I really like Researcher a lot.  I don't care if the roleplay seems less flexible to others, because it seems great to me.  I like the idea of being a mad scientist (or other creative type) working for the good of the commune as a whole!  I think maybe the flavor text seems too "serious" to some and they worry about struggling with an analytical type roleplay?  The community seems great and accepting and that doesn't seem to be the case to me.  Also astrology seems insanely cool I am so tempted to get it because it seems incredibly complex and like it would take a great deal of time to master which actually makes it more fun for me.  I think cloud trill suits me fine.  To be honest I just thought (oh this race looks cool and the same for Hallifax before I even knew they worked synergistically with one another [that was the icing on the cake!]).  Lucidian seems cool too because I like the idea of being a crystal person (again synchronistic good fortune [perhaps I shall pick astrologer after all! *grin*]).