As a new player...

I think it's pretty evident why new player retention is just not there: the existing community.

Sure, I've had some rather indifferent veterans and some more helpful individuals interact with me, but this one interaction with Eria just completely blew any semblance of immersion that had been built up in the hours beforehand.

A dank lobby.
This large hall was clearly a resplendent lobby when first built, lavish with crystal chandeliers 
and exquisite paintings exhibited upon the walls. However, a dreary gloom has descended and the 
vibrance of the colours has been washed away, tending to darker greys and blacks. The air is still 
and heavy with the scent of blood and sweat. A large wooden cabinet rests against the eastern wall, 
filled with exquisite jewelleries, though tell-tale hairline cracks creep up behind it and reveal 
its true purpose. A wide red carpet, smothered with dust from ages past, glides to the north and 
terminates against the elevator door. A small lever has been fitted to the left-hand side of the 
doorway.
You see exits leading north and out (open door).
546h, 426m, 426e, 0p, 1000en, 1000w Bex-n
A large elevator.
A large sign has been hung from the metal bars of the elevator, a warning to those who would enter 
the asylum. Her barbed tail curling between four fearsome legs, a giant brutish chimaera with fiery 
crimson wings crouches quietly within her surroundings.
You see a single exit leading south.
546h, 426m, 426e, 0p, 998en, 1000w Bex-
Eria peers at you unscrupulously.
546h, 426m, 426e, 0p, 998en, 1000w Bex-greet eria
You greet Eria with a sincere smile.
546h, 426m, 426e, 0p, 1000en, 1000w Bex-l
A large elevator.
This relatively small elevator appears to be in a relatively poor state. The floor is a sheet of 
thick metal, and the walls and ceiling are merely a set of steel bars - each with a swinging metal 
door - that allow sight onto the jagged rock walls of the tunnel which traverses the mountain's 
height. A foul scent floats in the air here, stinking strongly of stale blood and sweat. A small pad 
has been attached between two bars on the western wall, upon the surface of which are etched a few 
notes. A large sign has been hung from the metal bars of the elevator, a warning to those who would 
enter the asylum. Her barbed tail curling between four fearsome legs, a giant brutish chimaera with 
fiery crimson wings crouches quietly within her surroundings.
546h, 426m, 426e, 0p, 1000en, 1000w Bex-ih
"sign121829"              a large warning sign
"chimaera252722"          a giant brutish chimaera with fiery crimson wings
Number of objects: 2
546h, 426m, 426e, 0p, 1000en, 1000w Bex-
Eria snorts and snuffles at the air through a ridiculous pig nose.
546h, 426m, 426e, 0p, 1000en, 1000w Bex-p chimaera
Fearsome and great in size, this giant brutish chimaera is the embodiment of all gone wrong in 
creation. Appearing as a mishmash of animal parts, the chimaera prowls on four massive legs, the 
front of which resemble a lion's mighty paws covered in blue wyvern scales and mighty talons, and 
the hind legs those of the lithe goat. A thick, muscular body makes up the mighty bulk of the 
chimaera's frame, broad and covered in shimmering blue scales at the torso and narrower and lithe at 
the haunches. She possesses fiery crimson wings, while a barbed tail snakes from the beast's rear, 
serpentine in its movement and tipped with a long, stinging barb. The snarling head of a lion, thick 
with a flowing mane of ebon fur, crowns the beast's front at the shoulders. The eyes are white and a 
twin pair of oversized black horns curl back from the beast's head and twist into deadly points. She 
is called 'Draer.'
A giant brutish chimaera with fiery crimson wings looks to be crushingly strong.
She weighs about 1062 pounds.
Her feedbag could use replenishing, and she shows the first signs of hunger.
She is loyal to Shabinar Eria.
You cannot see what a giant brutish chimaera with fiery crimson wings is holding.
A large elevator.
This relatively small elevator appears to be in a relatively poor state. The floor is a sheet of 
thick metal, and the walls and ceiling are merely a set of steel bars - each with a swinging metal 
door - that allow sight onto the jagged rock walls of the tunnel which traverses the mountain's 
height. A foul scent floats in the air here, stinking strongly of stale blood and sweat. A small pad 
has been attached between two bars on the western wall, upon the surface of which are etched a few 
notes. A large sign has been hung from the metal bars of the elevator, a warning to those who would 
enter the asylum. Her barbed tail curling between four fearsome legs, a giant brutish chimaera with 
A red glow emanates from the Wheel of the Goloths, which lets out an ear-splitting screech.
546h, 426m, 426e, 0p, 1000en, 1000w Bex-read sign
You read what is written on a large warning sign:
Danger: entrance to the i'Xiia asylum is at your own risk.
546h, 426m, 426e, 0p, 1000en, 1000w Bex-l eria
She is a regal aslaran titan and stands at about five feet, four inches tall. Her wings, spanning 
from her back, are storm gray. Her hair, reaching down a bit past her shoulders, is black in color. 
Her figure is leen, and slightly toned, giving way to her strength, and stature. A smile, seems to 
always be upon her face, showing her pearly white teeth. Her eyes, are each a different colour, one 
being pearl white, as the other sky blue. She is wearing a midnight-black engagement ring set with a 
fiery ruby, a ridiculous pig nose, a twisting ring of amethyst, 18 pink ruby brooches shaped into a 
heart, a shadow-black backpack, a long pitch black coat with silver trim and a heavy, black woolen 
cloak.
Shabinar Eria says, "Why are you ruining my gank."
Eria peers at you unscrupulously.
546h, 426m, 426e, 0p, 1000en, 1000w Bex-'Gank??
You ask, "Gank?"
Shabinar Eria says, "Why are you even here?"
546h, 426m, 426e, 0p, 1000en, 1000w Bex-'What is that??
You ask, "What is that?"
546h, 426m, 426e, 0p, 1000en, 1000w Bex-scratch
You scratch your head in confusion.
Eria gives you the once over.
Eria has just tried to perform an aggressive act on you.
Eria has just tried to perform an aggressive act on you.
A large elevator.
Shabinar Eria says, "Why are you here?"
546h, 426m, 426e, 0p, 1000en, 1000w Bex-'Why shouldn't I be here??
You ask, "Why shouldn't I be here?"
A giant brutish chimaera with fiery crimson wings prowls out to the south, her barbed tail swinging 
dangerously behind her.
A giant brutish chimaera with fiery crimson wings prowls in from the south, making her presence 
known with a mighty roar.
A giant brutish chimaera with fiery crimson wings prowls out to the south, her barbed tail swinging 
dangerously behind her.
A giant brutish chimaera with fiery crimson wings prowls in from the south, making her presence 
dangerously behind her.
dangerously behind her.
dangerously behind her.
dangerously behind her.
dangerously behind her.
546h, 426m, 426e, 0p, 1000en, 1000w Bex-p pad
This small square pad of curved silvery metal, roughly four inches by four inches, has become dulled 
over time to a morose grey lustre. In small writing, a list of accessible floors has been etched on 
its surface. The pad rests slightly out of the wall, and can clearly be pushed backwards into a 
recession.
It weighs 5 ounce(s).
dangerously behind her.
dangerously behind her.
dangerously behind her.
dangerously behind her.
546h, 426m, 426e, 0p, 1000en, 1000w Bex-push pad
You press down upon the elevator pad and a crisp voice asks, "What is your destination?"
A large elevator.
dangerously behind her.
A crisp voice states, "No destination."
546h, 426m, 426e, 0p, 1000en, 1000w Bex-p pad
This small square pad of curved silvery metal, roughly four inches by four inches, has become dulled 
over time to a morose grey lustre. In small writing, a list of accessible floors has been etched on 
its surface. The pad rests slightly out of the wall, and can clearly be pushed backwards into a 
recession.
It weighs 5 ounce(s).
546h, 426m, 426e, 0p, 1000en, 1000w Bex-read pad
You read what is written on an elevator pad:
1) The main lobby.
2) The patient wards - first floor.
3) The staff facilities - second floor.

Comments

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    That's very inappropriate, I'm embarrassed that someone from Serenwilde is acting like that. 

Hopefully it will help for you to know that this person (though supposedly a novice teacher) isn't anyone of any import at all, as far as I know, and isn't really representative of the population at large. It's hard to act on such OOC knowledge appropriatly without being metagamey, but I'll make sure that what Shofangi leaders exist are made aware of a possible problem.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    edited December 2012
    To put this in some context. Eria was scouting me out to the bottom of the Asylum to attack me, I'd actually seen her coming for a mile off and moved to the bottom.

She'd popped a few power defences and then suddenly wooshed back to the top of the facility in the elevator.

While I don't condone the word gank and the in/out spam, the rest of it is a good IC series of questions and subsequent actions. You had been lighting up deathsight all day in various places far too strong for you to hunt, despite people offering you assistance in newbie channel as to where to go. The time you turned up there and then just really ruined her day, and she likely went to attack you in sheer frustration.

On the plus side, it was a huge source of comedy for me, thanks!

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Yes, in context, after I had been scouting Mork for awhile and I had just gotten ready to initiate my attack, this random novice that has no reason being anywhere near the asylum, especially considering his recent string of deaths, comes in and ruins everything and makes me waste power. I was a bit peeved, and yes I was going to kick him in the face. After the moment was ruined, I went home. Oh well, too bad, so sad. 
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Speaking of spoiling immersion.

13:58:59 - Valen has gruesomely expired, lungs liquefied from the proximity of a gaseous cloier.
    You see the death occur at overlooking a trapeze of pipes.

14:13:42 - Valen has been crushed to death by a hard-shelled, many-legged cave-fisher.
    You see the death occur at limestone tunnel beside a stream. 

14:30:18 - Valen has been destroyed by the mind of a hideous aberrant.
    You see the death occur at shallow pool beneath a sinkhole.

16:05:18 - Valen has been beaten to a pulp by a hard-shelled, many-legged cave-fisher.
    You see the death occur at tunnel beside a levee.

16:49:48 - Valen has been beaten to a pulp by a scuttling crab.
    You see the death occur at stone and sand.

17:02:49 - Valen has been beaten to a pulp by a hard-shelled, many-legged cave-fisher.
    You see the death occur at descending the well.

17:12:16 - Valen has been beaten to a pulp by a hard-shelled, many-legged cave-fisher.
    You see the death occur at down a wide crystalline shaft, slicked dangerously.

17:17:13 - Valen has drowned.
    You see the death occur at at an intersection of tunnels.

18:10:53 - Valen's mind has been destroyed by the psychic powers of a drooling nairemru.
    You see the death occur at a destroyed gate.

18:16:05 - Valen has been torn to shreds by a drooling nairemru.
    You see the death occur at a destroyed gate.

18:25:39 - Valen has been torn to shreds by a sabre-toothed cat.
    You see the death occur at an icy slope.

19:05:12 - Valen has been beaten to a pulp by a deadly trap.
    You see the death occur at a stone archway before a great hall.

19:36:45 - Valen has been crushed to death by a hard-shelled, many-legged cave-fisher.
    You see the death occur at massive cave.

20:07:48 - Valen has drowned.
    You see the death occur at the warm shallows of the Inner Sea.

That's 14 deaths in just over 6 hours, I refuse to believe the Fates would have any patience left on someone who died that many times after turning down good advice from other people.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    edited December 2012
    Wow, guys, come on. The thread maybe could have been less accusatory (I disagree with "the existing community" being the reason we don't have people stay, but I don't think Eria's actions were at all appropriate), but don't turn it around into attacking him instead. That's really uncalled for. I don't really have the energy to offer much more than that to this discussion.
  • If you werent' trying to troll, sorry.. but this thread is lemons.

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Phoebus said:
    Wow, guys, come on. The thread maybe could have been less accusatory (I disagree with "the existing community" being the reason we don't have people stay, but I don't think Eria's actions were at all appropriate), but don't turn it around into attacking him instead. That's really uncalled for. I don't really have the energy to offer much more than that to this discussion.

No way. Trolls get trolled. Trololololl all the way home.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Come on, you guys are ruining my immersion.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I'm also interested as to where a "new player" suddenly thinks novice retention is gone. We have 8-10 newbies earlier.

Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • All I can say, the only thing more lolworthy than a newbie getting worked up about so-called "immersion" in this game (Immersion? What's that, can I eat it?) is a "combatant" who gets angry at said newbie for "ruining" their "gank". Har har.

• NochtNocht Glomdoring
    Let's just end this thread here.
This discussion has been closed.