Talking to denizens

DaraiusDaraius ShevatThe juror's taco spot
edited April 2014 in Q&A
I was #blessed once with a story from Master Quettle when I was just seeing what keywords he'd respond to, but suppose I'm trying to get some specific information out of him. How does one approach this? Do denizens accept letters? Do you just visit them repeatedly and talk at them until Someone notices? Any advice would be appreciated!
I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."

Best Answer

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Accepted Answer
    Divine can turn on / off the ability to hear people doing SAY TO *mob*.  What you can do is walk up to the NPC in question and ask it something directly.  If they have it on, and they are intrigued by what you are asking, they might possess it and do some roleplay with you.  They also might not.  It is completely at their discretion, but you have the ability to attempt to initiate as you desire. :)

Answers

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Well that was an open and shut case. Thank you sir!
    I used to make cakes.

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Most of my best and favorite interactions have come from doing just that--mentioning something to an NPC, and poof! They responded. Like the Wolverine vision quest. SO MUCH EPIC, thanks to a Divine deciding, "Hmm, this sounds interesting, let's run with it!"
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Does it have to be specifically SAY TO? I've tried to speak in proper sentences to NPCs rather than just spout a series of keywords, but I've only ever used SAY without directing it.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Rialorm said:
    Does it have to be specifically SAY TO? I've tried to speak in proper sentences to NPCs rather than just spout a series of keywords, but I've only ever used SAY without directing it.
    I'm quite sure only the say TO pings the divine to draw their attention. It's not so much about sprouting keywords to get a denizen to respond, if someone possesses a mob it won't be because you stumbled upon the right word, heh.

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    edited May 2014
    Well I imagine sometimes you've just got Someone keeping tabs on you. Even when I'm fishing for key words I use actual sentences, so the magic's not in the grammar.

And in fact, it looks like I just got lucky that time with Q-dawg:

You say, "Tell me again of the Golden Lotus."
    Master Quettle says, "Yes, yes, the Golden Lotus. Tosha, the Meditative discovered it high upon the mountaintops here. He entrusted a single bloom to the Monastery's care, and we have kept it safe for a long time."

Master Quettle ponders for a moment and says "Hrm..."
    Master Quettle says, "If your quest for enlightenment beckons you, seeker, you can find the Lotus within the Monastery Tombs. You will learn the way down there if you meditate beside the Great Loboshi."

You say, "Master Quettle, can you tell me of Tosha the Meditative?"
    Master Quettle says, "Tosha, the Meditative taught us many things, including to temper our minds so we would not enter bloodlust. It is said that our ferocity is what lead the Soulless to find the loboshigaru."

You say, "What do the Soulless have to do with the loboshigaru?"

Daraius's whiskers twitch abruptly.

Master Quettle says, "Mm?"

Master Quettle exclaims, "The Soulless had much to do with the loboshigaru!"
    (commence storytelling)

Still going to give the SAY TO method a try once I get my notes in order. :)
    I used to make cakes.