Design Requests

I thought it might be fun to have a thread for public design requests. I often get requests for a certain design that a person would like access to, but either doesn't have time to design, or does not have the skills to design the item in question itself. There are lots of design types that are barely used, and we could use a lot bigger selection from the ones we have already. I know that a ton of us have public slots that most people rarely use. 

If you have a public design you'd like to see made, please post it here! Give as much or as little detail as you like. You could simply request more gold dress designs, or ask for turquoise bed with blue sheets and a pink pony depicted on the sheets. Posting here wont guarantee that it will be made, but it will make it more likely that a Trademaster will design your item. We could also put the designs here so people can either know that the piece is finished, or to get some ideas on the design before submitting. I hope some people find this thread useful, and if not it's all good!

Comments

• EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    I'm a big fan of this idea, and willing to stand as a tentative designer!

Yay Fania! :D
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I have a lot of public design slots I rarely use, and I'm always looking for new ideas for designs. Good thinking!

• Someone just complained about the amount of public designs in game.... come on people, post what you'd like to see in game. You don't need to give us the full design. Just give us an idea of what you'd like to see!
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited December 2012
    More.. clothing designs sans silk? 

I feel like silk (however cheap it is) just isn't an appropriate fabric for the majority of casual designs, or robes which characters wear while tromping  around in swamps, thickets, snow storms, and forests. Wouldn't it snag like  crazy?

/rant

EDIT: In general, more clothing that is neither super colorful, made of gems and silk, or the other common opposite: Made of black leather, with a side of moody and silent-type.

• Enyalida said:

I feel like silk (however cheap it is) just isn't an appropriate fabric for the majority of casual designs, or robes which characters wear while tromping  around in swamps, thickets, snow storms, and forests. Wouldn't it snag like  crazy?

/rant

EDIT: In general, more clothing that is neither super colorful, made of gems and silk, or the other common opposite: Made of black leather, with a side of moody and silent-type.

What? What bizarro version of Lusternia are you in where silk is the most accessible tailoring material? Maybe it's a Serenwilde issue.

Having said that, there are a lot of designs out there that look like they use silk, but actually use cloth. So, if it isn't a matter of the commodities used but the materials described, I think it would help a lot for you to list some things you want to see expressed used more (i.e., cotton).

Same with colour. What makes something not too colourful? Are there particular colours that should be avoided at all costs? Would all leather designs that are not black be a good idea? Say, bronze-toned leather?
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    a form-fitting aetherpilot's flight suit

white suede elbow-length gloves

a hand-knit crimson and charcoal wool scarf

some kind of dress shoes specifically for loboshigaru feet?

a dapper black fedora with ear holes
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
    Daraius said:
    a hand-knit crimson and charcoal wool scarf

This, I would love to do this.

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I'm working on one irl to go with my

a charcoal grey woolen peacoat

and

a pair of claret corduroy trousers

:-\"
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."

Mmmmm, peacoats.

I mean yes, that scarf can happen.

-

• Dark coloured, brown coloured. Leather material. Descriptions that convey a sense of practicality. I hate flashy clothes in real life, and I hate them in game too. >_>

• Ragniliff said:
    Enyalida said:

/rant

What? What bizarro version of Lusternia are you in where silk is the most accessible tailoring material? Maybe it's a Serenwilde issue.

Having said that, there are a lot of designs out there that look like they use silk, but actually use cloth. So, if it isn't a matter of the commodities used but the materials described, I think it would help a lot for you to list some things you want to see expressed used more (i.e., cotton).

Same with colour. What makes something not too colourful? Are there particular colours that should be avoided at all costs? Would all leather designs that are not black be a good idea? Say, bronze-toned leather?
    Gaudiguch is definitely overabundant with silk. Maybe it's a Glomdoring thing!
    If it's broken, break it some more.
  • Hmm. A book with a horse theme for my horse research?
  • Ragniliff said:

I don't know if it's more accessible, but it seems to be highly desired. When I design clothing I use whatever material will work best with the vision I have for the design. I often think of the practicality of the items I create, but I don't allow myself to be bound by that. There is a lot of fantasy to the clothing aspects of Lusternia. I don't see why it's okay that takes seconds to sew any piece of clothing, but it's not okay for people to run around in silk all the time. This is one of those things where people should suspend disbelief. 

I agree that we need more unadorned designs, so that these designs go with more things. It's difficult finding clothes that match based on their colours, so it would be great if there were more neutrally coloured designs (blouses and shirts especially). Also it would be nice if people thought about making designs that have colours that with the current public design list. There are a lot of colours that are under-represented in Lusternian clothing. For example I don't think there are any greatrobe designs that are orange, and the only yellow ones I can think of are private and for men only. As long as a design is well done any colour can be used and still look nice. 

There are lots of designs where there are only a couple of designs to choose from. There are very few bag designs. Veils, though not popular, could be expanded. Socks, male shoes, nice hats, and male shirts could all be expanded in regards to colour range (just off the top of my head). More belt designs would be awesome, because you can completely change the overall look of a design when adding a good belt to it. 

One last thing: If I had to pick on material that I would like to see more of it would be linen. Such a nice fabric but it's so rarely used! Go go go people!
  • I really like this idea and would be willing to participate as  a designer. :)
    I never use my public slots...
  • Fania said:
    Ragniliff said:

I don't know if it's more accessible, but it seems to be highly desired. When I design clothing I use whatever material will work best with the vision I have for the design. I often think of the practicality of the items I create, but I don't allow myself to be bound by that. There is a lot of fantasy to the clothing aspects of Lusternia. I don't see why it's okay that takes seconds to sew any piece of clothing, but it's not okay for people to run around in silk all the time. This is one of those things where people should suspend disbelief. 

Right, I get that. But I've found silk isn't really used all that often at all, such to the point where I couldn't find much use for it after obtaining a big pile of it, so a request for fewer designs using silk left me rather perplexed.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I have a character with a silk mine and a rift full of silk that rarely gets used, because most designs I come across either don't use it, or use a little in addition to cloth. >_>

• edited January 2013
    Enyalida said:

/rant

Necroquote, but I would say that silk is actually more appropriate of a fabric. People started using silk as a protective fabric long ago, because, in start contrast to wool and linens, it actually has a mild antiseptic property and tends not to shred into loose fabric to contaminate wounds.
  • I have some public designs that I'm working on right now, but I don't have a ton of time until the beginning of next month. I will post the resulting designs here, though. 
  • As for color options, I may go and just start making the same basic shirts/pants, etc. in a bunch of colors to help with this.  Don't expect too much creativity between garments though, I'll only be changing color, but it does give you something to work with!

• Personally I'd rather see fewer designs than a ton of designs that just have the main colour changed. I know IRL you'd see this happen a lot. If you are going to do this I think it's better to put a lot into the original design and be selective of your colours.. use maybe 2-3 different colours/designs max. Like submit a green, blue and pink dress that all look similar rather than making 5+ designs that are just you naming new colours in the design..I just think creativity is sacrificed if we go too far into making our designs seem manufactured. 
  • Well, it's not going to be a simple design, I just don't do that, but I may just change only the colour between each one.

Or I don't have to, it's whatever to me!  These wouldn't be garments I'd ever wear anyway!

• Morshoth said:

Well, it's not going to be a simple design, I just don't do that, but I may just change only the colour between each one.

Or I don't have to, it's whatever to me!  These wouldn't be garments I'd ever wear anyway!

I didn't mean to say not to, but only chose a few colours. So many designs end up with 4+ other designs just like them and the only difference is a colour change. I think this cheapens the design. If you are going to work hard and come up with a nice new design it should be somewhat original. I'm sure what you come up with will be great Morshoth. 
  • Oh, it definitely wasn't going to be a ton of colours either, I only have 3 public slots, so it would likely only be three for each year!  I'd do a different design each year though.