The Great Lusternian Cookbook

Comments

• TacitaTacita <3s Xynthin 4eva!!!11
    I have been making this cauliflower dish a lot lately and it is delicious.
  • Curries. Lentil curries are -delicious- and healthy. Also, soups (I love lentil soup, maybe with some bacon, vegetables and bit of orange juice).
    Retired.
  • http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2013/06/coconut-chocolate-chip-cookies-low-carb-and-gluten-free.html

Cookies! Shall attempt to make these soon. I totally love almond flour, not to mention coconut.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.

• Shaddus said:
    This is a horribly unorganised recipe:

In the morning or early afternoon, take 4-5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, whole. Put them in a crock pot on low, dump in two jars of your favorite salsa and 3-4 packets of chicken taco seasoning. Cover, and leave it alone for the day. Check back to turn the breasts over after about four hours or so, and keep making sure the meat is covered. 

When the meat is done, shred with a pair of forks. Serve in flour tortillas with cheese, lettuce, sour cream as desired. Serves quite a few people.
    Made this for supper last night, very good! Was well liked!

Currently Playing in: The doctors office. One more needle and I might just lose it again.
  • Tacita said:
    I have been making this cauliflower dish a lot lately and it is delicious.
    Think I'll keep this for when I have vegeterians over, it seems tasty.
    Retired.
  • Another disorganized recipe.. I hate measuring things :)

San Francisco Chops.

Little spicy-hot, can adjust up or down by adding more or less red pepper flakes.

Bout 4 pork chops, thin works best.  Brown both sides, drop in crock pot.  Pour about half a small bottle of soy sauce, 1 cup chicken broth or stock (stock makes much thicker), 2 spoons brown sugar, spoon of red pepper flakes, large spoon garlic.

Cook for at least 6 hours on high.  Make sure pork shreds totally.

Spoon over pasta.  We serve it with green beans...surprisingly good together.
    And delicious.
  • edited March 2014
    RL ALLHEALE:

1 bar of very dark chocolate (~2oz)
    12oz whole milk
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
    1.5oz kirschwasser

On a double boiler, melt chocolate, and slowly incorporate the milk, whisking constantly. Add sugar and vanilla and keep whisking until the milk is steaming. Pour into large mug, add kirsch.

Cures most complaints of the mind and body (at least for a time)*.

*Except diabetes or alcoholism.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • edited March 2014
    Baked Cabbage:

1 head of cabbage, at least 2 lbs
    2 large onions
    5 slices of bacon (or the real deal bacon bits)
    2 cups light cream
    several drops of hot sauce

Ok, preheat over to 350 degrees. Fry bacon until just crisp; drain and crumble. (Or use bacon bits) Cut cabbage into quarters and remove core. Slice it into 1/2 inch strips. Cut onion in half and slice into strips lengthwise. Add several drops of hot sauce to the cream. (Or ignore this part, and have the hot sauce out for others to use as they want) Place all the ingredients into a bowl and mix well. Put mixture into a two quart backing dish, and bake in the preheated oven for one hour. Let it cool a bit before serving. You will know it's done cause the cabbage will start to brown, no cover needed.

This makes a lot, so adjust as needed, cause I will say depending on how liked cabbage is this will serve about six as a side, as the main maybe four.

Edit: Forgot doesn't freeze well at all. And lasts about two to four days in the fridge, before becoming a science experiment.

Currently Playing in: The doctors office. One more needle and I might just lose it again.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Turns out my tikka masala recipe isn't as formalized as I'd like, but here's something to nom on until I work out the details.

Bean Burgers
    Difficulty: **
    Prep time: 20 min
    Cook time: 20 min

1 15oz can of black beans
    1 15oz can of white beans
    1 c FRESH arugula, or basil, or cilantro, or, I dunno, tarragon, chopped
    2 large eggs, gently whisked
    oil to coat frying pan
    1 tsp toasted sesame oil (optional)
    1 big onion (or 2 big shallots), finely diced
    1 red bell pepper, finely diced
    3 T diced garlic (about 6 cloves)
    1 T cider vinegar
    1 T soy sauce
    1.5 c panko bread crumbs
    1 T chili powder (or 2 tsp of smoked paprika, maybe. Haven't tried it)
    1 T cumin
    1 T coriander

Preparation

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Drain and rinse beans, and set aside to air dry.

Coat a frying pan with oil, heat over medium heat, and add onion/shallots when it's hot. Drizzle in some sesame oil for a savory, nutty flavor and aroma. I let my onions simmer while I dice my pepper so they get a head start on caramelizing. Add diced red pepper, garlic, and vinegar, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and simmer until the onions are translucent and the peppers are soft, stirring occasionally. You'll want this to be not quite as hot by the time you mix everything together, so chill this mixture for a bit when it's ready.

Add breadcrumbs, cumin, chili powder, and coriander to a separate dry frying pan and toast over medium heat for about five minutes. Careful not to burn them. The breadcrumbs will be golden brown and the whole mixture will be really fragrant when it's ready. You can chill this a little to bring the temperature down before the next step.

Smash the beans into a greyish paste in a large bowl. Stir in the eggs, fresh herbs, soy sauce, onion mixture (hopefully not piping hot by now), and breadcrumbs (ditto). If the mixture is still warm, cover and refrigerate for a while. This will help everything stay together when you form the patties.

Divide the bean mixture into six to eight servings (I prefer a bigger bean burger myself!), shape into patties, and bake for twenty minutes, flipping halfway through. Serve on toasted buns with your favorite toppings (for instance: raw spinach, a slice of gouda, caramelized onions, a fried egg). Oh hey, there's even a neat sauce recipe on the first page.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    edited March 2014
    @Isluna's Baked Cabbage recipe (which sounds delish, were it not cabbage based!) immediately made me think of this, one of my favorite things in the entire world.

I'm sure there's a much fancier, ~cuisine~ way of preparing something like this, but it makes -spectacular- drunk food as described below. Learned this from my best friend and crave it pretty much around the clock. Simple instructions.

Really Messed Up Wilted Lettuce

YOU WILL NEED:
    - some quantity of bacon
    - some quantity of lettuce
    - one large egg
    - about 1/4 c. of apple cider vinegar
    - a few teaspoons of sugar, to taste
    - a sprinkling of salt, to taste
    - a sprinkling of black pepper, to taste

Combine your last four ingredients until the point where you think "This will probably not be revolting when all's said and done". Put aside.

Get your bacon, put it in a frying pan. As much as you can comfortably fit. Cook it until...it's done, as done as you want it. Floppy is okay, it won't matter much.

With the bacon still in the pan, righteously destroy it with a spatula and/or fork and/or tongs until it's a barely-recognizable smattering of meat matter drowning in grease. You can drain a LITTLE of that away if you're super health-conscious, but not all of it - it's important!

Take your head of lettuce and righteously destroy this in turn, ripping off layers and chunks and tossing them right in on top of the devastated bacon until you have a pleasing ratio. Should be enough to cover the whole of the pan, but you'll want enough room to plop a lid on top.

Pour your vinegary-sugary concoction over the top. Oh, crack the egg and drop that in too. Really mess it up, go nuts. That's what makes it Really Messed Up. Let it cook under the lid until you can tell with soooome certainty the egg is no longer raw, it won't take long at all. You'll know it's perfect when it looks like something that crawled out of a swamp.

Eat it. Seriously, it's the shit.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Sounds like my mom's fried cabbage recipes.  Just, not cabbage, heh.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    I'm sure cabbage would suit it just as well, either way it's practically a salad!
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • edited March 2014
    So this is the ultimate in unhealthy but it's great comfort food considering the weather we've had here recently.

Ground hamburger, browned and drained
    Canned or fresh tomatoes sliced
    Sour cream
    Kraft dinner OR macaroni and cheese

Layer it in the order above, you also don't need a lot of sour cream and if using macaroni just cook the noodles and sprinkle cheese on top. If using kraft dinner just make it the way you would then spread it over the top.

It's delicious! 
    Gonna toss a secret family recipe or two up here I think.  First, Grampa's pulled pork (I know, I know, it's in a crock pot)

RUB THE PORK ROAST OR LOIN WITH LIQUID SMOKE FIRST BEFORE RUBBING THE DRY RUB ON THE ROAST.

YOU CAN EITHER COOK IN A CROCK POT OR IN AN OVEN – THE OVEN SHOULD BE AT 350 DEGREES AND BAKE WELL COVERED, THE ROAST UNTIL IT FALLS APART.  BASICALLY THREE HOURS.

For dry rub
    3 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
    3 tablespoons (packed) dark brown sugar
    3 tablespoons paprika
    2 tablespoons coarse salt
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

2 untrimmed boneless pork shoulder halves (also known as Boston butt; about 6 pounds total)

For mop
    1 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/2 cup water
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon coarse salt
    2 teaspoons vegetable oil

Cabbage Rolls

Filling –

Approximately 2 to 2 ½ lbs lean ground beef

2 teaspoons ground ginger

1 teaspoon garlic

1 tablespoon dehydrated onion

Mix the spices and meat together let stand.

Bring a pot of water to a boil (no need to salt the water) To prep the cabbage, cut the cabbage off of the head while trying not to tear the leaves. Keep the leaves whole.  Thin the thick part of the leave-on the bottom of the leave.  Once you have enough leaves (at least 12 to 15 if you are feeding 5 to 6 people) Place the leaves in a large pot or bowl and pour the boiling water over the leaves (quick blanch).

When the leaves are very bendable place the filling in the middle of the leaves and roll them up kind of like an envelope.  Place in a baking dish .

Broth

3 cups of water

2 chicken bouillon cubes

½ teaspoon of dried chili flakes

¼ cup grated carrot for color

2 tablespoons ketchup

Ginger and garlic to taste.

You can add sour cream to the sauce, that is optional-I did this when I made the broth too spicy.

Pour the broth over the cabbage rolls until they are covered.  Cover the pan with aluminum foil.  Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

Chicken Molle

Chicken Molle

Boil up your chicken or chicken breasts and in the same pot you want to use at least a ½ to a full bottle of chili powder seasoning.  The one that is made by schilling not chili as in chili with beans seasoning.  Once the chicken starts falling apart you will want to shred it and then place it back in the pan with the seasoned broth.  Bring back to a boil and add 1 to 2 I prefer 2 tablespoons of peanut butter.  You will want to thicken the mole with some cornstarch and water so that it is gravy consistency. 

Flour Tortillas

3 cups of flour

¼ teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon of baking powder

1/3 cup of shortening

1 cup COLD water

Combine flour, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl.  Cut in lard with a fork until coarse crumbs form.  Add the COLD water.

Mix lightly with the fork until the dough clings together.  Using your hands, gather the dough and knead in the bowl for a few minutes. 

Divide the dough into 10 to 12 small balls.  Roll the dough into a thing 12 inch circle on a lightly floured work surface. Remember I use a plate (sandwich) to cut the tortillas so they are all the same size. Stack the tortillas with wax paper between each one as they are rolled.

Lightly grease a large pan or griddle place the tortillas one at a time in the pan.  Don’t worry about popping the bubbles as the tortillas cook, that is what gives them the tortilla look.  Cook the tortilla until it is a light golden brown on each side, or until you think they are done.  The golden brown is usually where the bubble where….you don’t want it as dark as a pan cake.  Place the warm tortillas in a towel and then in a plastic bag this will help to keep them warm and soft.

That'll do for now.  :)

• Just wanted to say THANK YOU for the tortilla recipe. I'm going to give it a try, I've tried to make them in the past but have never really gotten it to where I like it.

Also pulled pork. <3
    You're quite welcome. My grandmother's best friend when my mom was growing up was a little old Mexican lady (or so I've been told) and that is supposedly her recipe. I'll see if I can find her tamale recipe next :-)
  • edited May 2014
    @Aerdiya @Zyphora

Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb Pie

Unbaked single pastry crust, fit into a 9 inch pie plate, edges crimped

Filling:
    3 cups rhubarb, sliced 1/2 inch thick
    4 cups strawberries, fresh or frozen, sliced 1/4 inch thick
    2/3 cups sugar
    2 tablespoons tapioca flour (you can use cornstarch if you don't have tapioca)
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1/8 teaspoon salt

Topping:
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    2 tablespoons white sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/3 cup non-hydrogenated margarine, melted (or canola oil)

Preheat oven to 425 F.

Combine all of the filling ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.

In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients for the topping. Drizzle in the margarine and use your fingers to swish around the mixture until crumbs form. Some of the topping is still going to be sandy and that’s fine, just so long as you have mostly nice big crumbs.

Add filling to the prepared pie shell and top with the crumb topping. Cover loosely with tin foil and poke a few holes in the foil to let steam escape.

Bake for about 20 minutes at 425 F. Lower heat to 350 F, and remove the tin foil. Bake for an additional 30 to 35 minutes, filling should be bubbling and the crumb topping should be golden. Place on a cooling rack and let cool for about 30 minutes before serving.

Wish I could take credit, but this is an Isa Chandra recipe
    A whisper from the trees and a frosty presence tells you, secretly, "But you are strong, little 
    flower, and wise." The voice shifts and expands, becoming more real. "And everything you just said 
    in the ritual made me feel safer. You should, too."
    And there are some things that you should never, ever bother making from scratch, like puff pastry.
  • also phyllo dough. even in school (yes, yes, I went to culinary school) our chefs told us never to bother making it, not worth the effort.
    A whisper from the trees and a frosty presence tells you, secretly, "But you are strong, little 
    flower, and wise." The voice shifts and expands, becoming more real. "And everything you just said 
    Oh yes, filo is just as bad.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I have a recipe for this, but I just freehand it.

Open a can of biscuits, cut them into quarters and put them in big bowl. Crack an egg, beat it and add a little milk, maybe a tablespoon or two. Mix it in with the biscuit pieces and mix gently to coat. Cook a package of bacon until crisp, crumble and add to bowl. Add 3/4 cup grated cheese, mix up the mixture. Add green onion if you enjoy it.

Spray bottom of an 11x7 or 12x8 glass baking dish, pour in mixture and make sure it sits level. Bake at 350 for 23-28 minutes. When done, allow to cool slightly and pull apart to eat.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Don't bake much, but I am considered by friends and family to be a bit of a grill-master.

Here's one of my favorite ways to do a cut of fish (either catfish, tilapia, or flounder works best)

1 fresh or frozen fillet
    Aluminum Foil
    Grill
    Cayenne Powder
    Paprika
    Onion Powder
    Red Pepper Flakes
    Lemon Juice (or Hot Sauce)
    Black Pepper
    Salt

Combine all seasonings in a bowl and mix with lemon juice or hot sauce. Make a packet out of the foil. Put the fish fillet in and spoon a generous amount of the seasoning mix over top. Close the top of the packet leaving a small opening for steam to escape. Set on top grill rack and cover grill, check back in 10-20 minutes.

The drone, the whistle, the thundrous sound;
    It seared their eyes, it shook the ground.
    One hundred thousand voices lift,
    While ashes like dirty snowfall drift.

The clouds of purple glowing gas,
    The tiny sun is rising fast.
    Your star...
    Is on the rise.
    Tark's Stupid Easy Taters (recipe stolen from...imgur?  allrecipes?  somewhere, but is good)

Bake some potatos.  Doesn't matter how many.  Doesn't matter how.  Just bake them in an oven of some variety.
    Place them on a baking sheet of some sort.  Can cover it with aluminum foil if you want, I like to do it so it's easier to clean up after.
    Take a potato masher, a big spoon, or a big fork, and smash those potatoes down like you're making peanut butter cookies.  For those of you that haven't experienced that joy, smash them down making a cross.
    Dab some oil on them.  Kind doesn't really matter.  I use olive oil.
    Sprinkle some cheese on.  Parmesan and mozzarella are a good combination, or just some cheddar.
    Top with whatever else you like on these potato minipizzas.  I like some pepper, maybe some bacon.
    Broil the potatoes for a few minutes until your cheese gets that awesome looking pizza surface look going on.
    Take them out of the oven without burning yourself.
    Let them cool for a few minutes, then devour.  I like mine with a little sour cream if I'm feeling like a fatty.
  • http://cavemanketo.com/chorizo-breakfast-casserole/

Breakfast this week. I couldn't find chorizo sausage so I bought some spicy BBQ sausage and chopped it up into bits. Delicious. Not to mention that having a hearty breakfast leaves you less hungry for the rest of the day. Although this might just as well be lunch or dinner. Freezes and reheats well :)
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • Does anyone have any really decent vegetarian recipes? I am looking for more of those now. Not going vegetarian by any means, just eating healthier and losing weight.
  • Aeral said:
    Does anyone have any really decent vegetarian recipes? I am looking for more of those now. Not going vegetarian by any means, just eating healthier and losing weight.
    *cackles evilly*

just... just about anything on this website is delicious and satisfying. 
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I think everything I've posted is vegetarian, but it's mostly desserts! The bean burgers above are good for a real meal. But dang, @Parua, I'm bookmarking that site based on the current front page picture alone. Looks amazing.

**reminding self now to post recipes for falafel, quinoa salad, and seitan
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
    Okay for veggie recipes, here's a list of sites. Some of them are not purely veg*n but have a lot of very good recipes of that sort

I may or may not spend a large portion of my time browsing recipe sites! My main strategy for making my diet stickable-to has been to find exciting and yummy things to make as an apology for cutting out nice things.
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    I would like to learn...Lusternian Salsa!
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback