State of Conflict: Risk vs Reward

13»

Comments

• Back in the day we'd consider it a victory if we forced rippling/distorting etc. because back then there were no freebies from aetherbubbles and making them burn 500p every hour and a half meant something because it wasn't so easy to come by. Now that this is all free, or basically free when we consider that 250-500p is such an inconsequential amount, it's just another aspect of the futility in raiding.

@Shuyin I like small scale and large scale both, but I think it is unrealistic to try to create a system that only works on small scale. I can't think of any way to realistically limit the number of participants in a raid event that wouldn't be super abusable. Making some new raid mechanic that a smaller group could realistically achieve would be neat, but we'd need to think of something worthwhile for the raiders to get out of it that the defenders aren't going to feel griefed about losing.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Lavinya said:
    Any new demigods who go raiding without a decent buffer are asking for the consequences. It doesn't take long to build up essence, I realise now even a 2mil loss isn't as painful as it seems.
    It's ironically more painful at 80+ million than 5-10 million, because of the goddamn malus to gains.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    The malus to gain is kind of silly; there are much, much better ways to handle the whole thing.
  • Like permashrubbing the abusers. /sagenod

Also, fix the XP gained from killing a demigod/ascendant to scale appropriately?

• VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    I forgot why the malus was even instated. Wasn't it to help incentivize spending essence more instead of hoarding it?

PS, bring back Benevolence.

• Vivet said:
    I forgot why the malus was even instated. Wasn't it to help incentivize spending essence more instead of hoarding it?

PS, bring back Benevolence.
    I thought it was just because @Munsia was getting too much essence :3
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
     People wanted things to spend their mountains of essence on. The admin gave them said things but also decided hoarding immense mountains of essence was going to endlessly perpetuate this need for essence sinks as with any MMO the players can usually grind through the new content faster than the admin can release it. Or that's my interpretation of the situation. There's going to be a small sliver of the population that enjoys hoarding said essence and will disagree with the stance of the admin. Personally I don't feel like bottomless essence sinks are a productive addition to the game. I'm all about things that don't encourage disparity.
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    edited May 2014
    The admin posted that literally 'Someone' had more essence then they ever planned, and that's why they introduced the cap.  At introduction, 5 or 7 of us were above cap. The mandatory 1 essence wasn't introduced until later by Iosai for some reason. She never told me why, just told me that she put it in. 

In any case at the introduction and the release of the new skills, as well with the nerf to how Eph powers work they didn't really do much. The change to Ephemeral powers made me never use temporary powers ever again because I'm not paying that much to switch between things. I would have spent my essence a lot faster if I could have eph'd powers like we used to, where it was gained as a 'temporary'. Much line maintaining a blessing. However, as I understand it, this was actually a nerf to Ascendants abusing Eph's or something. 

The power's they added afterwards were all really crappy. Since the essence cap, the only power I really bought was Respect. I just recently in the last month or two picked up a second trade skill 'Because why not'.  Ironically, however. At introduction of Cap Iosai had told me I could buy every demigod power and still have far too much essence. I don't think that still remains true however! 
  • How about if the essence loss from dieing on enemy territory was made the same as dieing anywhere else, but additional, stronger, guard mobs will spawn in an hour or two depending on how many players and creatures on each side were killed. The guards would despawn in 12-24 hours. This would encourage raiding, but would make chain raiding incredibly difficult since the area would eventually be flooded with superguards.
  • Nihta said:
    How about if the essence loss from dieing on enemy territory was made the same as dieing anywhere else, but additional, stronger, guard mobs will spawn in an hour or two depending on how many players and creatures on each side were killed. The guards would despawn in 12-24 hours. This would encourage raiding, but would make chain raiding incredibly difficult since the area would eventually be flooded with superguards.
    That sounds like either a fun reason to stick around or a strict time limit depending on (a) how OP the mob is and (b) how OP the player is. And some players are really, really, REALLY op.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Belibi said:
    Nihta said:
    How about if the essence loss from dieing on enemy territory was made the same as dieing anywhere else, but additional, stronger, guard mobs will spawn in an hour or two depending on how many players and creatures on each side were killed. The guards would despawn in 12-24 hours. This would encourage raiding, but would make chain raiding incredibly difficult since the area would eventually be flooded with superguards.
    That sounds like either a fun reason to stick around or a strict time limit depending on (a) how OP the mob is and (b) how OP the player is. And some players are really, really, REALLY op.
    Simple solution: Guards that afflict with nasty stuff (Though no stacking eq/bal disrupts, kthx) and whose damage scales based on target health.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Belibi said:
    Nihta said:
    Well, you could just make them not drop gold or exp. Then no matter what they would just make things more difficult.
    Elanorwen said:
    and whose damage scales based on target health.

While I certainly understand your reasons for doing so, this actually won't have the intended effect you're hoping for, unless you make said guards intentional cockblockers to end any and all raids by having their % of target's max hp a seriously high number. In which case, kiss supermob raids goodbye for life.

I like the idea of guards spawning, personally I'd just use the standard level 2 guards you get at the nexus, only they cost zero power as they're summoned automatically, have no upkeep as they're temporary, and give no gold and essence.

However they don't count towards the mob killed total for the purpose of spawning more guards, that'd just create an infinite loop of pointlessness.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Nihta said:
    Belibi said:
    Nihta said:
    Well, you could just make them not drop gold or exp. Then no matter what they would just make things more difficult.
    Some mountains are climbed simply because they're there. If you make controlling enemy territory for x amount of time and killing the powerful guards that get summoned something that is very difficult, people will do it (at least once) just to prove they can.
    Belibi said:
    Nihta said:
    Belibi said:
    Nihta said:
    Some mountains are climbed simply because they're there. If you make controlling enemy territory for x amount of time and killing the powerful guards that get summoned something that is very difficult, people will do it (at least once) just to prove they can.
    Confirming I absolutely would.

• Karlach said:
    Belibi said:
    Nihta said:
    Belibi said:
    Nihta said:
    It would be like playing CoD's Nazi Zombies. How high can you get? 
    Alik said:
    Karlach said:
    Belibi said:
    Nihta said:
    Belibi said:
    Nihta said:
    It would be like playing CoD's Nazi Zombies. How high can you get? 
    Except my utter distaste for CoD, yes. I enjoy pushing limits. There's a type of gamer that plays the meta in terms of mechanics and tries to break through the percieved ceiling of limits, on the simple basis of "Because I can." Some of these things are utterly meaningless other than the fact they can be done, some are impressive but not sustainable for anything other than a one off because of the resources required, and some are just overpowered and need nerfing, but it was fun while it lasted.

The art of achieving something is in itself a reward.