A Progression of Blood

edited July 2014 in Event Scrolls
A hushed atrium.
Tall pillars have been worked with glowing runes, the etched marks shedding a sullen gleam through the open space between. The floor is worked in a spiral pattern, sloping gently to a central point, shallow depressions marking several stations of prayer on the passage downward. Stone arches can be made out in the gloom above, Nihilistic banners moving slowly in the open air, the cracked bells suspended from each providing a soft, discordant tone. An alabaster statuette of Nifilhema stands within an alcove, weeping tears of dark blood. A sigil in the shape of a small, rectangular monolith is on the ground. In the shape of an open palm, a metallic sigil lies here. Smoke curling from her nostrils, a spotted grey nightmare paws impatiently at the grey clouds roiling beneath her hooves. Heresiarch Esca n'Lochli is here. He wields a blighted symbol of pestilence in his left hand and the Damned Sceptre of the Ravenous Beast in his right. Seditionist Lillie n'Lochli, the Silent is here. She wields a damning symbol of domination in her right hand. Sister Morian De'Unnero, Devout of the Queen is riding on a spotted grey nightmare. She wields a bloody symbol of pain in her left hand and a platinum shield with Urlach's horn in her right. Brother Tierce d'Vanecu is here.
You see a single exit leading south (open door).

Heresiarch Esca n'Lochli says, "We gather at blood red dawn to observe Penitent Tierce walk the path of the Lords and Lady, thus becoming a full Brother of the Church of the Five."
A heavy presence suddenly hangs in the air, the chamber growing nearly claustrophobic as some invisible, malevolent force makes its presence known, power thrumming from the alcoves arranged throughout the atrium.

Penitent Tierce d'Vanecu clasps his hands at his back and stands rigid and attentive.

Tierce exhales slowly, allowing a long fluid breath to creep from his lungs.

Grasping his damned sceptre, Heresiarch Esca n'Lochli says, "A monumentous occasion. Should he be judged worthy by the Five, Tierce will join as a blooded member of the Fold, with all honours such entails. However, the Penitent first must kneel, to show humility."

Tierce kneels onto one knee, demonstrating his humility and respect.

Tierce begins his progression, head bowed in submission.

Gaze moving to the statuette, Heresiarch Esca n'Lochli says, "He begins at the image of the Queen. Grovel before it, and prepare yourself for her eyes to turn upon you."

Tierce stands up and stretches his arms out wide.
Tierce grovels pathetically at an alabaster statuette of the Queen of Insufferable Cruelty's feet.

Tierce is suddenly seized by vicious convulsions, screaming in utter agony as unseen tortures are visited upon his body.

Crimson wounds appear on Tierce's flesh, weeping red tears as he is released from the statuette's power, beginning his shuffling progression once more.

As he tracks the Penitent's progress along the path, Heresiarch Esca n'Lochli says, "Now he comes to the Duke's wrathful bells. Caress them, and await the fires of his anger."

Tierce caresses a riven bronze bell gently.

A red haze begins to form faintly about Tierce, his limbs tensing in response, quivering with barely-contained tension.

Tierce relaxes noticeably, gaze turning to lead him further within the spiral path.

Morian, riding a spotted grey nightmare, arrives from the south.
A bank of grey clouds rolls in from the south, upon which gallops a spotted grey nightmare.

Heresiarch Esca n'Lochli smiles faintly as a pale hand emerges from the folds of his shadowed robes, pointing towards the bowl of hunger.

Seditionist Lillie n'Lochli, the Silent glances at Morian and motions for silence as the progression continues.

Heresiarch Esca n'Lochli says, "And now he enters the pool, where the Devourer's hunger lurks. Take the bowl and drink deeply of it."

Penitent Tierce d'Vanecu's expression falters as pain wracks his limbs, the urge to drop and succumb sending quivers of tension along his arms as he crawls to the bowl.

Tierce picks up the bowl of Hunger.

Tierce takes a drink from the bowl of Hunger.
Tierce wades into the next station, reaching out to drink deeply of the bowl of Hunger.

Overcome, Tierce swoons, pitching forward into the pool of now-bubbling filth and offal.

After many long moments, Tierce recovers, the pool stilling as he rights himself, trailing gore as he moves onward.

Folding his hands into his sleeves again, Heresiarch Esca n'Lochli says, "The Prince's dark webs stretch before him, blocking his path. Reach out and touch them."

Penitent Tierce d'Vanecu inhales sharply and drags a sodden sleeve across his eyes, rendering them clear enough to see the path before him.

With a wistful look on his face, Tierce touches a gauzy white web.
Tierce reaches out to the web-wreathed depression, gossamer filaments stretching outward in response to ensnare his questing hand.

Tierce stills suddenly, a look of fear and wonder upon his features.

Mere moments pass, and the web releases Tierce, falling back into shape to allow him to progress towards the final station.

Heresiarch Esca n'Lochli's eyes close as he takes a deep inhalation, and he murmurs a few brief words before bestowing a cool gaze upon Tierce.

Penitent Tierce d'Vanecu sways where he kneels, then stiffens, shoulders thrust forward as he humbly supplicates before the font.

Heresiarch Esca n'Lochli says, "Penitent Tierce, you have passed under the watchful gaze of Four, and thus far have been judged worthy."

Voice strengthening as he continues to speak, Heresiarch Esca n'Lochli says, "The Supreme Master sits upon his throne of the beast, at Tainted Nil's highest point. He turns to observe you now. If you truly believe you are worthy enough to serve him, turn the font and allow Lord Luciphage to decide your fate!"

Tierce murmurs softly to himself.

Tierce approaches the final station, slowly turning the massive stone font into alignment. His outline becomes hazy, and he disappears for a brief moment.

The chamber dims further, soft whispers reaching those who stand witness, heralding the weighing and judging of this soul offered to Nil.

Eventually, Tierce winks back into being, standing proud and erect before the font, a dark symbol of Nil flickering upon his brow before fading. The cracked bells above begin to ring, accepting Tierce into the Fold proper.

Heresiarch Esca n'Lochli steps forward, Damned Sceptre of the Ravenous Beast held aloft.

Tierce exhales slowly, allowing a long fluid breath to creep from his lungs.

Gravely, Heresiarch Esca n'Lochli says, "You have been judged worthy."

Heresiarch Esca n'Lochli taps Tierce upon each shoulder with the black orb that crowns the sceptre, Nilfire burning within it.

Solemnly, Penitent Tierce d'Vanecu murmurs, "Thank you, Lords and Lady, I shall serve you all well."

Seditionist Lillie n'Lochli, the Silent solemnly bows her head at the offering of another soul to the Supreme Master.

Heresiarch Esca n'Lochli says to Tierce, "I name you a brother of the Fold, and a true and honourable servant of the Five."

(Nihilists): Esca says, "Welcome, Brother Tierce, as a full member of the Church in good standing."

Bowing his head, Brother Tierce d'Vanecu says, "Thank you, Heresiarch."

Heresiarch Esca n'Lochli withdraws from Tierce and inclines his head politely.

Heresiarch Esca n'Lochli says, "You are now tasked with spreading the word of the Five and the glory of the Taint, with the full power of the Church behind you."

Heresiarch Esca n'Lochli says, "Your actions reflect upon the Fold, in public and in private. Serve it well and true."

Esca presses a thumb to Tierce's forehead, who shivers, and offers him the dark blessings of the Demon Lords of Nil.

Politely turning to nod to those behind him, Brother Tierce d'Vanecu says, "Thank you."

Heresiarch Esca n'Lochli says, "Go forth now with the blessings of the Five."

Addressing all assembled now, Heresiarch Esca n'Lochli says, "You are dismissed."

Brother Tierce d'Vanecu takes a steadying breath and closes his eyes.

Seditionist Lillie n'Lochli, the Silent shuffles out quietly, reversing so as to remain ever facing the Font of Luciphage.

Lillie leaves to the south.

Sister Morian De'Unnero, Devout of the Queen bows her head in reverence before moving out of the atrium quietly.

Morian, riding a spotted grey nightmare, leaves to the south.
A spotted grey nightmare rears up and sends a bank of grey clouds rolling to the south, galloping away upon it.

Comments

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    The actual coded ritual is awesome. Nymerya, Calixa and Morgfyre did an amazing job on it. I like the way you've worked your dialogue into it, @Esca :)

• Thanks. I thought Nymerya and Morgfyre were involved in its creation, but wasn't sure. Didn't know about Calixa. I have a log of my Progression from back in... well, it says January but I think it was earlier than that, that I use as a guide for the trigger words (because my memory is garbage).

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Calixa wrote the Baalphegar stuff if I remember correctly. I was supposed to help with Nifilhema but I am a notorious procrastinator so they wisely went ahead and did it without me!

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Awesome! This is just the kind of thing the Serenguard were looking for a couple of years ago, a short ritual to welcome new members. What we got, of course... *shudder*.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.