Monk Artifacts

I recently made the return to monk class and have forgotten some of the best artifact buffs for the class after a few years away from being one.  At this point, I have built up about 950 credits and 250 dingbats.  Looking for advice on how to use them since I am already omni-trans with a number of trades skillflexed trans.

Obviously, your standard artifacts (RoA, Crit Hit, etc.) are valuable, but what other artifacts offer a particularly important buff to monks?  Given the different treatment of monk weapon statwise and for which artifacts can be attached, is it wise from a cost perspective to fully upgrade runed weapons?

Best Answers

Answers

• As a follow-up question, I have a custom beast and may be switching around my trainings and/or adding some inherents.  Any suggestions on beastmastery abilities that work particularly well with monk combat?
  • I'd imagine trampling would be useful, as monks can get people prone - could complement Stomp? Poisons might be more reliable than, say, HypnoticGaze, particularly if you use poison as a monk.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Trampling isn't terribly useful for anyone solo. Beast spit can be useful for monks.

Elementals are good for monks, especially because their damage scaling is so bananas.
  • Yeah, I can see why trampling wouldn't be good solo.  Is kicking worthwhile to get your opponent prone where more damage is done by a monk or is the chance of success too low to be practical?

I don't totally understand what you mean by damage scaling.  Can you elaborate Celina so I can understand what you mean about elemental runes?

• I disagree that trampling wouldn't be terribly useful. Particularly considering that if they don't notice the prone, why not trample and take out a possible +3 limbs? Also, it will compliment stomp, since stomp is most effective when they are proned, and stomping the head for a cracked skull. If you're going to be a monk, do not rule out trampling, it will serve its purpose best if the target is already proned moreso than assuming or guessing that they -may- be proned and wasted a beast balance for the fail. Though yes, if you are, hypnoticgaze/beast spit/trample/amnesiacloud as suggestions to mix, but of course consider the training amounts.
    Deciding to teach Arcanis the ultimate lesson in manners, you point a finger imperiously at him and
    call the curse of the toad down upon his head. You watch in satisfaction as warts break out over his
    skin which then turns green and slimy. Finally, he shrinks and transforms into a large, ugly toad!
    With a telepathic sigh, a pooka tells you that he has lost control of Arcanis's actions.

In order to put the pathetic life of a warty toad out of its misery, you lift a foot and bring it
    down mightily on its bloated green body.
    A warty toad's back breaks under the weight of a heavy foot, its innards spilling out and leaving a
    messy stain on the ground.
    You have slain a warty toad.
    A warty toad wobbles about uncertainly and turns a pale shade of green before suddenly stretching
    and transforming into a demigod. Shaking his head, Arcanis stands before you where once there was a
    toad, looking slightly disoriented and perplexed with his tongue lolling out the side of his mouth.
    Arcanis drops the corpse of a pixie.
    Arcanis drops the corpse of a pixie.
    Arcanis drops the corpse of a pooka.
    Arcanis drops a stalk of faeleaf.
    Having been too much for the mortal threads of Arcanis, he screams in agony as flames engulf his
    body and burn it to a crisp.
    You tell Lord Fist Arcanis De'Unnero, Chosen of Wrath, "By the by, let that be a lesson in manners.
    I don't need friends to kill some of you one on one."
  • Trampling takes both beast balance as well as normal 4sec balance on neutral. On a single target, you have a chance to break 3-4 limbs, usually. If you're exceedingly unlucky, maybe less.

As a monk of any kind, you are usually hitting at 3.5-4sec balance neutral, if you put in the speed modifier, that's 3-3.5sec neutral. If you're a +bal race (which you should seriously consider if you are not), you'll be hitting at 3sec or less. For most monk guilds, at the lowest momentum, you can give up to 4 afflictions (inclusive of poison, so shrugging etc applies). Maybe less, maybe more, depending on your guild. If you're at a higher momentum, you will obviously be able to do more. If a target is prone while you have balance, a monk form will do additional damage, and will bypass both stancing and parry.

I'm sorry, Jaamil, but I think going with a monk form is probably going to out-do trampling in most, if not all, 1v1 situations. Trampling will be useful in group combat if you're confident your team can prone multiple targets at once, or if you have someone else who can benefit from having you just spaming trample over and over on the target they are hitting, and thusly keep them prone. Otherwise, no, it's not useful for a monk. (Or most other classes, probably, but I can't say for sure.)