The Matrix Research Institute Auction for Scientific Content

VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
As per the request of Portius, for the Halli players who could not make it.

Only the auction for authorship is here. If people want to see the painting exhibition, they can watch a replay at the stage!

Many, many thanks to Maellio and Zitto for helping me edit and clean it up. I really hate messing with logs.

<><><>

Auditorium of the Grand Hallifaxian Opera House.
Banks of clouds roil about here. The sheer opulence of this grand auditorium is stupefying, gold and crystal alternating and mingling together in carefully designed harmony to create an image of architecture and engineering unrivalled anywhere else in the world. A large stage fills one entire wall of the grand hall, in clear sight of any of the countless seats that fill the floor and four ornate layers of balconies. Sparsely placed arching pillars support the balconies as they climb toward the top, transforming into delicate statues of female trill whose widespread wings give off the illusion of supporting the ceiling above. The central dome of the ceiling is covered in detailed paintings of soaring trill and billowing cloud formations, the rounded shape providing a sensation of depth as well as completing the acoustic superiority of the auditorium. All of this is basked in the warm, soft light spread by countless strategically placed crystal orbs which add to the harmonic atmosphere and complete the pleasure that is experienced by many who witness the productions in this auditorium. A chandelier depicting the architecture of Hallifax is suspended overhead, illuminating the area with shimmering, radiant light. Plush velvet cushions offer comfortable seating upon an elaborately engraved marble opera bench here. Soaring to a majestic height, a harmonious stage of crystal and gold stands here. Her glittering emerald tail curling between four fearsome legs, a dark brown chimaera with rust coloured wings crouches quietly within her surroundings. Private Tomo is here. Archmage Irillia Shevat is here, wreathed in a flickering mandala of silvery light. She wields a magic tome in her left hand and a delicate crystal staff in her right. Understudy Gaosia sits here upon an opera bench of elaborately engraved marble, shrouded. She wields a lovely and delicate mandolin of shimmering crystal in her left hand. Lord-Professor Portius Windwhisper, Weaver of the Aurora is riding on a dark brown chimaera with rust coloured wings. He wields a burning whip of hissing flame in his left hand. Zephyr Mimie is here. She wields a little purple book in her right hand. High Scion Zyphora Windwhisper, the Sun-in-Glory sits here upon an opera bench of elaborately engraved marble, surrounded by a flurry of white feathers caught in a perfumed breeze. She wields an auroral tower shield of the Sun-in-Glory in her left hand and a delicate crystal staff in her right. Ambassador Daraius Shevat lingers here, his figure traced in a soothing aura of effortless serenity.

You say, "Welcome, all."

Ambassador Daraius Shevat clasps his paws before him and offers a polite bow to the assembled citizens. Catching sight of Irillia, his eyes brighten and his tail wags briefly.  

Irillia smiles softly at Daraius.

You say, "I will have a few platters to share as well, in case anyone develops an appetite over the course of bidding."

Platinum white feathers flutter in on a perfumed wind, dancing about Zyphora as she glides in from the northeast.

(Hallifax): You say, "Are we waiting on anyone else to make an appearance?"

(Hallifax): Mimie says, "Wait!"

With an air of relief, High Scion Zyphora Windwhisper, the Sun-in-Glory says, "Oh, I didn't miss it."

Zyphora sits herself down on an opera bench of elaborately engraved marble and makes herself comfortable.

You say, "Nope, haven't missed anything yet."

Mimie arrives from the northeast.  

You ask Zyphora, "Though, would you might if I take over project 218 at the close of the auction and re-fashion it for my purposes?"

High Scion Zyphora Windwhisper, the Sun-in-Glory smiles and says to you, "I would not mind at all."

You say, "Okay!"

High Scion Zyphora Windwhisper, the Sun-in-Glory says, "Please feel welcome to usurp my position as leader of that project."

You say, "That cleans up that matter nicely."  

Zyphora nods her head sagely.

You say, "The auction will begin with live bidding for the authorship of willing Society members. Those who win their authorship will determine the subject and material for a new scholarly work, which is not required to be longer than one thousand words."

Gaosia shimmers into existence before you.
Ambassador Daraius Shevat swivels his ears towards you, listening carefully.

You say, "Once you have made arrangements with your author, the work is to be prepared and completed for you within one year. I will want to hear about progress made and when you make your decisions, to help regulate efficiency as may be required. This can be accomplished via letter or message - whichever you deem more fit." 

You say, "Following the auctioning of authorship, I will employ the stage to exhibit the paintings produced for the Society. They will go on silent auction until the year's end, and updates will be managed in project 

You ask, "Do we have any questions regarding how the auctions will proceed, or shall we begin?"

Raising one finger, Ambassador Daraius Shevat says to you, "How does one place a bid in the live auction."  
Gaosia nods her head emphatically.

You say, "Ah, you may simply speak up at any time."

You ask, "Any other questions, or comments in general?"

Ambassador Daraius Shevat asks, "Shall we name an amount, or will you be guiding the increasing bids?"

You say, "I believe all lots shall start at 5000, and require a minimum increase of 500."

Understudy Gaosia says, "To make sure I understand this, we are hiring authors, giving them a subject and background information, and seeing what they produce?"

Ambassador Daraius Shevat casts an appraising glance over everyone in attendance, as if sizing up their money pouches.

You say to Gaosia, "Correct."

Lord-Professor Portius Windwhisper, Weaver of the Aurora says, "For scholarly works, I must emphasize."

You nod your head at Portius.

You say, "If one for literary works is desired in the future, I think that would be something fantastic for the Symphonium, or any other organisation to host."

With a practiced air, Zyphora flicks her wrist and the vicinity resounds with the symphony of an orchestra. The music swells to crescendo before fading, the haunting notes of a violin lingering in its wake.

Understudy Gaosia stops for a second, frowning.

Understudy Gaosia says, "Well, that should be fine."

Acerbus arrives from the northeast.  

You ask, "Very well. Shall we begin?"

Zyphora nods her head emphatically.

Ambassador Daraius Shevat takes up a position with his back to a nearby pillar, nodding briefly towards you.

Mimie whispers something quietly to Tomo.

Mimie shifts her eyes suspiciously from side to side.
Tomo lifts his eyebrow slightly, curious.

You say, "The first author for auction is none other than Lord-Professor Portius Windwhisper, who has published many important historical works, investigated the use of aeonics for artifact dating, studied mycology extensively, and much, much more. He is undoubtedly the most prolific author in the Commonwealth."

You say, "Who wishes to win his authorship? Bidding opens at 5000 sovereigns!"

High Scion Zyphora Windwhisper, the Sun-in-Glory says, "10,000 gold."

In a hushed whisper, Zephyr Mimie says to Daraius, "I feel you are going to throw down 50,000 first round."

Ambassador Daraius Shevat says, "11,000 for Lord Windwhisper."

High Scion Zyphora Windwhisper, the Sun-in-Glory says, "15,000."  

You ask, "15,000 from the Provost! Are any willing to take it higher?"

Ambassador Daraius Shevat says, "17,500."

High Scion Zyphora Windwhisper, the Sun-in-Glory says, "20,000 gold."  

Ambassador Daraius Shevat says to Mimie, "I am grateful Keeper Ushaara is not here to bid 100,000 straightaway."

The corners of Irillia's mouth turn up as she grins mischievously. 

Ambassador Daraius Shevat says, "25,000 for Lord Windwhisper. Do you have a research topic in mind, Provost?"

Scowling, Zephyr Mimie says, "I wish I didn't loan now."

High Scion Zyphora Windwhisper, the Sun-in-Glory says, "I have not yet determined a topic, but it will surely be scientific and intellectual."

You say, "I hear 25,000 is the current high bid! Do I hear any others?"

Acerbus squints his eyes as he peers around the area, smoke billowing from his nostrils.

Gaosia gives some gold sovereigns to Mimie.

Gaosia taps her nose knowingly at Mimie.

Ambassador Daraius Shevat emits a sound somewhere between a growl and a chuckle.

Mimie flails about helplessly.

Acerbus's exhausted mind can stay awake no longer, and he falls into a deep sleep.

Lord-Professor Portius Windwhisper, Weaver of the Aurora raises an eyebrow at Acerbus.

You say, "Going once, at 25,000."

Zephyr Mimie says to Gaosia, "He'll pay me back, you don't have to hand me gold."

Acerbus mumbles something incoherent about a tree in his sleep.

You say, "Going twice."

Acerbus opens his eyes and yawns mightily.

Acerbus stands up and stretches his arms out wide.

Acerbus leaves to the northeast.

You say, "Sold! Ambassador Shevat wins Lord Portius' authorship at 25,000 sovereigns."

Ambassador Daraius Shevat's tail thumps happily against the pillar behind him, but he doesn't seem to notice.

Mimie gives some gold sovereigns to Gaosia.

Understudy Gaosia says to Mimie, "Keep it, you might want to hire someone."

You have emoted: Vivet flips open a book to make a quick notation of the name and sum.

Nodding at Daraius, Lord-Professor Portius Windwhisper, Weaver of the Aurora says, "You may name your topic now or later as you prefer, Ambassador."

Gaosia shrugs helplessly.

Mimie hops up and down on Gaosia's foot.

Tomo stares implacably at Mimie.

Mimie gives herself the once-over, eyeing her suspiciously.

Skye has entered the area.  

You say, "The gold should be deposited to the Institute at the Ministry of Finance, and can be done so once auctions are over."

You sense the sweeping gaze of Synkarin looking upon you.

You say, "It should also be done before a topic is formally determined and set to stone."

Daraius nods his head in agreement.

Mimie gives a pained sigh.

With a gentle growl, Ambassador Daraius Shevat says to Portius, "I shall need a little time to formalize it."

Ambassador Daraius Shevat bows his head politely to Maellio.

Lord-Professor Portius Windwhisper, Weaver of the Aurora says to Daraius, "Of course. Take all the time that you require, comrade."

Portius bows respectfully to Maellio.  

Gaosia curtseys gracefully before Maellio.

Mimie gives Maellio a respectful salute.

Acerbus arrives from the northeast.

Maellio inclines his head politely to those around him.

You say, "Next up will be our youngest author on the lots - the newly appointed Librarian, Zitto! He is an up and coming member of the Society, advancing more quickly than many his age, and is quickly developing a background with planar study and the histories of the Basin. He has a lot of ambition, but little to direct it - this may surely turn out to be a healthy exercise for him."

You ask, "The bidding shall begin at 5000 sovereigns. Who wishes to bid on Zitto?"

Daraius crosses his arms expectantly.

High Scion Zyphora Windwhisper, the Sun-in-Glory says, "I will bid 15,000."

Private Tomo says, "Ten thousand."

Lord-Professor Portius Windwhisper, Weaver of the Aurora says, "Ten thousand."

Tomo stares implacably about himself.

It is now the 18th of Dvarsh, 394 years after the Coming of Estarra.

Private Tomo says to Zyphora, "You are too quick for me, Provost."

Zyphora nods her head sagely.  

You say, "Goodness! 15000 from the Provost early on!"
Szariec, the amethyst-horned hippogriff paws the ground and shuffles about impatiently.

Shrugging, Lord-Professor Portius Windwhisper, Weaver of the Aurora says, "Then we shall escalate. Twenty five thousand."

Understudy Gaosia examines her purse, scrutinizing the contents before raising her hand. "Forty thousand sovereigns."

You say, "40,000 from Understudy Gaosia! She is our current high bid."

Mimie nods her head at Gaosia.

Using his wrist cleverly, Acerbus flips a golden sovereign up into the air. You watch, mesmerized, as it spins rapidly through its arc. It hits the ground and you see that the heads side is facing up.

His ears perked attentively, Ambassador Daraius Shevat says, "Am I permitted to bid on this lot as well?"

You ask, "Do I hear any other bids for Zitto?"

You say to Daraius, "Certainly."  

Ambassador Daraius Shevat scratches his chin with one claw, a low growl rumbling in his chest.

You say, "Going once, at 40,000."

Daraius nods his head at Gaosia.

You say, "Going twice."

Gaosia fans herself with her hand, trying to keep cool.

You say, "Sold! Gaosia claims Zitto's authorship for 40,000 sovereigns!"

Gaosia curtseys gracefully before you.

You have emoted: Vivet quickly opens to her bookmark to make an additional notation.

Gaosia nods her head at Mimie.

Mimie searches the air in front of her, then tugs upon an invisible strand of force.

Mimie turns translucent and then vanishes, leaving behind a cloud of sparkling motes of light.

Irillia looks about herself, rubbing her chin thoughtfully.

The eyes of Acerbus go briefly out of focus.

The eyes of Acerbus go briefly out of focus.

You say, "The next lot shall be... myself, the Primus Vivet Pavok. Though my work has been more observational and philosophical, I would welcome anything and everything that might be more analytical in nature, and have a wide variety of experiences that might assist me along the way, regardless of what you determine to be worth my efforts."

You ask, "Bidding shall open at 5000 sovereigns. Who wishes to bid on the Primus Vivet Pavok?"

High Scion Zyphora Windwhisper, the Sun-in-Glory says, "30,000 gold for the Primus."

Ambassador Daraius Shevat's eyes dim, but his expression remains unchanged.

Lord-Professor Portius Windwhisper, Weaver of the Aurora says, "Thirty five thousand."

Archmage Irillia Shevat's eyes widen slightly, then swiftly narrow in thought.

High Scion Zyphora Windwhisper, the Sun-in-Glory says, "45,000 gold."

Private Tomo says, "Fifty."  

Lord-Professor Portius Windwhisper, Weaver of the Aurora says, "Fifty five."

High Scion Zyphora Windwhisper, the Sun-in-Glory says, "60,000."

Private Tomo says, "Seventy."

High Scion Zyphora Windwhisper, the Sun-in-Glory says, "80,000."

Beads of sweat break out on your face.

Ambassador Daraius Shevat's golden eyes rove from face to face as the bids are spoken, his tail wagging enthusiastically.

Archmage Irillia Shevat says, "Seventy-five?"

Archmage Irillia Shevat says, "Oh, dear."

Tomo's eyes sparkle with amusement.

Ambassador Daraius Shevat says to Irillia, "Nice try, Archmage."

Zyphora grins mischievously at Irillia.  

You say, "Goodness, it's hard to comment on bidding when it is so swift!"

Comments

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I hope I don't get a discount research paper for the paltry price I paid!
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • :x 

Like I said, I feel like an author auction is the Hallifaxian bachelor auction. I am certain there were some lucidians feeling the vapors out there. 
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Thank you for logging and posting, Vivet!

I believe that @Daraius is now obligated to show in the next such auction, though. To fulfill popular demand.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • I wish I had known about it so I'd have been able to buy one or two of you :( Poor research projects never going anywhere...
    Portius said:

I believe that @Daraius is now obligated to show in the next such auction, though. To fulfill popular demand.
    Nobody wants Daraius trying to do science. I would set the entire field back a few centuries.
    Ssaliss said:
    I wish I had known about it so I'd have been able to buy one or two of you :( Poor research projects never going anywhere...
    Maybe we should look into authorship auctions as a world outreach program.  :-?
    I used to make cakes.

• PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie

Daraius said:
    Portius said:

Nobody wants Daraius trying to do science. I would set the entire field back a few centuries.

Solution: Do a literature/translation of historical documents auction!
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
    Will write one Year In Review for your commune or city on a year of your choice, to whomever bids the most meat.
    I used to make cakes.