Saints of Celestia

PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
edited October 2014 in Q&A
What are the saints of Celestia, exactly? Are they a tier of angel between the archangels and the Supernals, are they mortals, are they something else entirely? If they're mortals, how do people get promoted to sainthood?
Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.

Best Answers

• UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Accepted Answer
    My understanding is that they are mortals elevated to sainthood upon or after their death. I forget what Tresalyne was sainted for (something something Zenos wind maybe.. or perhaps for discovering Celestia), but Loathys was raised to sainthood for her part in Burning Star campaign and was companion to Methrenton. The story Pectus mentioned I think is probably Gathlyn, a young companion to Raziela who faced down the part of Illith that was roaming the seas during an assault on the city, smiled at it and somehow shielded everyone with bubbles. I think you can learn a bit more about him if you do the raccoon/Evgenii quest in Oleanvir. Throwing his name around the orphanage might yield a bit more info too.

• KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    Accepted Answer
    Ushaara has the right of it. There's a Celest play by @Iytha telling the story of Saint Gathlyn, too.
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    Accepted Answer
    We learned about the Saints during this event - http://www.lusternia.com/game/news/Lusternia/Events/182 . "the Holy Saints
    of the Light, mortals that had long ago surrendered their souls completely to the Light, melding their soul and the Light until there was no longer a separation of the two for those individuals"

The Saints aren't really worshipped by Celestians like the Supernals are. Venerated is probably a better word; typically they're linked with great deeds that are respected.

During the aforementioned event, the Sacraments skillset got some additions that developed the Saint lore. I think these are the relevant excerpts from the skills:
    Holylight: "Much like the Celestine Saints of old, so blessed by the Supernals and devout in your ways are you that your soul may be imbibed with the smallest portion of the Light of Celestia. Though not as powerful nor as capable as the ancestral saints, a mortal soul may contain much of the Holy Light of Celestia, measured in globes."
    Holybeing: "Using much of the Holy Light stored within, the Devout may infuse their very soul with the Light of Celestia, temporarily becoming something more than simply mortal. Those Holy Beings of Celestia that are so formed are less than Saints and Archons, however still formidable beacons of light and love upon the battlefield."
    Hallowedpresence: "It is said the Saints of Old were able to purify all that came before them, no matter how foul or dark its corruption."
    Numen: "Known for his steadfast devotion to the protection of the innocent, the Dawn's Promise, believed to have been ascended to Sainthood during a glorious battle long ago, is said to have been able to withstand the most terrible of blows without so much as wincing. By imbuing a luminous spirit with one's own Holy Light, a true devout of the Light will be able to maintain the aura of numen longer than those who do not, allowing them to stand upon the field of battle as he did long ago, shielding their own weak flesh from the wounds of their enemies."
    Righteousarms: "Regularly leading the charge of battle, the Flame's Blade was known for her righteous charges into the fray and thick of combat, armed with her faith. It is said that she would spend each night offering prayers to each Supernal in turn, beseeching their manifold blessings upon her own armaments."
  • MoiMoi
    Accepted Answer
    The Supernals pick who becomes a saint. Tresalyne is the Starlit Saint, chosen of Elohora for rediscovering Celestia and founding the Celestine Church. There's also St. Gathlyn, chosen of Raziela for defending Old Celest from a monster, St. Loathys, chosen of Methrenton, who fought in the Burning Crusade, and the thus far unnamed Dawn's Blade who was chosen by Shakiniel. It's unknown if Japhiel or Dumaliel ever chose a saint, if the Emanations chose saints and whether a Supernal can have more than one.

Answers

• I can't remember the name.. But there's a story of a mortal turning into a saint somewhere in Celest's history. I think he's the priest in their cathedral now? Hm. @Kelly might know. Or @Meliana.

• PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Alright, thanks. Is the veneration/worship of saints a thing in Celest at all? Who makes the choice to declare a saint, the mortal church or the Supernals?
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Bam. Kelly to the rescue! :D

• Portius said:
    Alright, thanks. Is the veneration/worship of saints a thing in Celest at all? Who makes the choice to declare a saint, the mortal church or the Supernals?
    I don't have all my stuff with me at the moment but the Supernals choose/raise the Saints.  We've been trying to build on that (lore, getting clarification about the process, can we do it ourselves, or some variation of all of those) but were told it needed to be shelved for now. 
  • Telperion is interested in them as well so he's been working on writing about the Saints.