Are Auctions Still a Thing?

VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
Just as the title might indicate.

I've been saving up for auctions for about 8 RL months now, continuously anticipating them at any time. It's getting kind of tiresome, and I'm feeling like I must have missed something at some point.

So I'm just genuinely asking, have we decided to stop with these, or have they been on-hold with the Overhaul, or just ...? 

My dragon's hoard is starting to feel rather silly.

Comments

• Having a dragon's hoard is never silly. I've been saving up for flexing since flexing came out. I've been sitting on it baring my teeth to imaginary adventurers who want a piece of it all these while, and it feels good.

• IIRC, it's not something Lusty can decide on on their own, it only happens if the people upstairs decide to. I also believe Estarra has poked them about auctions before, and nothing has happened. But yes, I'd love to see an auction too (well, as long as there are gold auctions, that is). Auctions are fun!
  • Ssaliss said:
    IIRC, it's not something Lusty can decide on on their own, it only happens if the people upstairs decide to. I also believe Estarra has poked them about auctions before, and nothing has happened. But yes, I'd love to see an auction too (well, as long as there are gold auctions, that is). Auctions are fun!
    Really?  It's not about the amount of gold/credits  floating around in the game?
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited December 2014
    IMO, auctions don't really touch the majority of 'free gold/credits' in the system, they just skim some off the top, from the few people with the largest totals and make credit market prices go up.
  • Yeah, no amount of auctions will really do any lasting damage to the relatively massive gold clot floating around. However, combining a bunch of gold auctions and an effective gold sink would work wonders. Just have to find a good gold sink...
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    It could have been curios
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    If hey didn't cost so tremendously much, heh.
  • Gambling for curio pieces. Have a missing piece? Pay 10,000 gold per try to attempt to generate it, 90% chance of failure! Doesn't generate anything on failure. Whoo hoo!

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Lerad said:

Gambling for curio pieces. Have a missing piece? Pay 10,000 gold per try to attempt to generate it, 90% chance of failure! Doesn't generate anything on failure. Whoo hoo!

I'd do that in a muhfuggin heartbeat
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    I'd like to clarify that I'm actually looking for an admin response to the topic, even if it's basically along the same lines as saying nothing at all, such as, "We cannot comment on this topic". I just thought this would be more useful than a private email inquiry.

I'm also going to say that if auctions stopped being a thing at all, it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. A number of the limited release things have had a lot of power, which makes it difficult to try to account for their existence, and I expect it's getting increasingly difficult to come up with new auction items. But if auctions are going to keep happening anyways, then well, I'd rather stay prepared.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Vivet said:
    I'd like to clarify that I'm actually looking for an admin response to the topic, even if it's basically along the same lines as saying nothing at all, such as, "We cannot comment on this topic". I just thought this would be more useful than a private email inquiry.

I'm also going to say that if auctions stopped being a thing at all, it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. A number of the limited release things have had a lot of power, which makes it difficult to try to account for their existence, and I expect it's getting increasingly difficult to come up with new auction items. But if auctions are going to keep happening anyways, then well, I'd rather stay prepared.

It was implied, during the last discussion, that auctions were not actually seen as very good revenue generators.  Estarra was going to see if we could get an auction going, but nothing came of it... and that was months ago.

I doubt that they are ever going to say "never again," but they have definitely cut back.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Ah, well, that's more than I knew before anyways. Thanks!
  • Enyalida said:
    IMO, auctions don't really touch the majority of 'free gold/credits' in the system, they just skim some off the top, from the few people with the largest totals and make credit market prices go up.
    That hasn't been my experience. Before the last auction credit prices were 30k plus. During the auction period they dropped to about 15k and since then haven't quite risen all the way back up to their former high.