The Diary of Cimtri, Oracle of the Earthburner

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "The story is told from the perspective of Cimtri, the Oracle of the Earthburner."

Starting her reading, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "Where is the Earthburner? They call her the Mother of Mayhem, Scourge of the Soulless, the Destroyer. I call her friend."

Her voice gentle and inquisitive, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "When did I first meet her? How many years, decades, centuries have passed?"

Tone losing its inquisitiveness, sounding nearly weary, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "I recall when my parents died, when Great Muud rolled through our sanctuary in the forests below the Carack Mountains. I knew enough to hide for I was an oracle even then. I knew to listen to the small spirits of nature who warned of the coming of the Soulless God. Of course, no one believed me, not any other elfen in my village, not my parents, not my uncles and aunts, not friends or neighbors. They said I was the one touched by madness when I spoke of hearing the whispers in the woods."

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "But it was because of the voices that I knew to climb the foothills and hide among the rocks, when Great Muud destroyed everything I knew. And thus I was an orphan elfen, lost and alone. But trust in the spirits, they whispered to me, to climb the mountain range, to seek out the Burner."

A faint hint of red in her cheeks, hinting she may be too tame for this reading, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "Exhausted, hungry and cold, I found the Goddess on the other side of the mountain. She was enormously tall, about thrice my size. She had broad shoulders and hips, large breasts strapped flat by a leather vest. On her head rose a pair of ram horns, curling in spirals, black as obsidian. Beneath her mass of dark hair plaited in ropes, her enormous bovine eyes rimmed in kohl burned with an inner fire."

Giving a light cough before she continues, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "At first, she did not notice me approach. She was bent over a stone of black obsidian that was carved in a perfect square, inscribing runes deep into its surface. Power radiated from the stone in waves of darkness. When she heard my small footsteps, she snuffled loudly and jumped up."

Taking on a Taurian accent, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "Who be you?" Her accent returned to normal as she says, "the goddess roared, stomping her cloven hooves which shook the earth." Offering the accent of a Taurian once more, she asks, "Who be spying upon Il'garala?"

Taking on the narrator's tone again, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, ""Please, goddess," I said, falling to the ground. "The spirits led me here.""

Speaking as Il'garala, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane asks, "Spirits, eh?" Her tone returns to that of the narrator, "Il'garala said, calmer now that her roving gaze found no one but a scrawny elfen girl." The accent retruning, "Where are your people then?"

The narrator once more, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane whispers, ""Dead," I said. "The Soulless God Muud destroyed our village last week. The spirits warned me but no one else listened. Then they led me to you.""

Canting her head a little as she acts once more as Il'garala, Pretty Guardian Selenity 
Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "Ah. Do you be seeing any spirits now, little elfen?"?"

Nodding and speaking as Cimtri, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "Yes, Goddess, there are some hiding behind the rocks and bushes, and the rowan and heather."

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "Il'garala narrowed her eyes where I pointed and nodded to herself." Speaking once more as Il'garala, she says, "You be having the Sight, little elfen. Happens to some. It be very strong in Kiakoda. I be having it too, a bit, but not when I was mortal."

Her voice the soft elfen one of the narrator, Cimtri, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "I said nothing because I did not understand what she was saying, and I was afraid. She walked towards me, towering over me. As she came closer, I saw the beads in her hair were small finger bones, and tiny skulls hung from her belt, rattling together."

Her tone that of an appreciative Il'gara, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "I might be having somewhat use for one with the Sight. You could be helping me bind the hearths."

As Cimtri, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "But I do not know how."

As a proud, enthusiastic Il'garala with a smile on her lips, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "I teach you! What you be called?"

Voice meek, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, ""Cimtri," I said."

Holding the book in one hand and motioning next to her to some structure that's not there, voice that of Il'garala, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "This be a hearthstone." She points to the empty space. "What do you see, eh? Really see? Deep like."

Reading as the narrator again, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "I gazed at the hearthstone, and let my vision blur until I saw that which was not visible, where I gazed into the twilight realm. Lines of power radiated deeper into the earth from the hearthstone, which crisscrossed the land, burrowing into the rocks and plants. Except for one stretch that tangled in a cluster of hawthorn."

Reading as the narrator again, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "I gazed at the hearthstone, and let my vision blur until I saw that which was not visible, where I gazed into the twilight realm. Lines of power radiated deeper into the earth from the hearthstone, which crisscrossed the land, burrowing into the rocks and plants. Except for one stretch that tangled in a cluster of hawthorn."

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "Il'garala raised her eyebrows, then squinted where I pointed. With a soft whisper, she called forth a terrifying spirit, enormous and dark and bloated, that flitted forth and untangled the knot."

Still in character, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane gasps, "What was that!"

Grinning and speaking in the manner of the Taurian Goddess Il'garala, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "You saw Papa Yara? Careful of him, little elfen, he'd like enough to eat your dreams, greedy old fellow. Most spirits of nature be fearful of ole Il'garala. But some few have a ken to what I do and help. These hearthstones be drawing power from the twilight realm."

Cimtri once more, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane asks, "What do they do?"

Grinning and as Il'garala, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane exclaims, "If a hearthstone like this be placed in the path of the Soulless Gods, then it draws them like flies to shite. Then, BOOM!"

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane exclaims, "It blasts them!"

Speaking as the curious elfen woman again, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane asks, "You can destroy the Soulless?"

Shaking her head and speaking as the taurian, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "Alas, no. But they do get hurt, slows them down, sometimes even drive them away."

Her voice concerned and of elfen accent, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane asks, "But the power unleashed ... won't it destroy the nature spirits that these hearthstones draw upon?"

Speaking gravely as Il'garala, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "Yah. That why they be calling me the Earthburner. But destroying the land, using its energies against the Soulless, that be better than letting them consume it and increasing their power, no?"

Nodding, her voice the one the group has come to know as Cimtri's at this point, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "Yes, Goddess."

As Il'garala, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "It be a deep cost I exact, little elfen... but nature be willing to sacrifice in this battle."

Taking on Cimtri's curiosity, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane asks, "And that is all these hearthstones can do?"

Once more the aforementioned Goddess in voice and accent, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "Oh, they can heal and protect. My sister be Il'vania. She constructs types like those in cities. Even so, it not be protection enough against the Soulless. My chosen path be one of destruction and death. I offer no succor in the endless war, little elfen. But I could be using one such as you with the Sight. Won't be forcing you, though. Decision's yours to make."

Her tone Cimtri's but in the narrative voice, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "Before I could answer, small spirits flitted past me crying out warning of a pending doom, just like at my village. Il'garala saw me shudder."

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, ""Great Muud comes now," I said, wondering if it scented the hearthstone, radiating energy like a beacon offering itself to be devoured."

Light confusion in her voice, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "Il'garala raised her head and sniffed the wind. Then she grinned broadly at me, not what I expected."

Grinning and as Il'garala, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "You be lucky, little one. You see what my hearthstone be doing."

Cimtri again, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "With that she picked me up as though I were a rag doll and placed me on her shoulder. She ran toward the mountain range, taking enormous leaps, until soon we were at the base. She scaled up a sheer cliff, her great fists smashing into the rock for hand holds. Quickly, she scrambled into a small cave, little more than an indentation in the mountain side, but there we had a clear view of the valley below and the dark hearthstone that glittered in its center."

Tone a little ominous as she reads aloud, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "Great Muud rolled through the forest, a loud rolling thunder of hate and hunger, straight toward Il'garala's hearthstone. The Soulless God circled the hearthstone, pausing and quivering. Il'garala breathed quickly, not realizing her hand clutched my shoulder painfully. Suddenly, Muud enveloped the hearthstone, draining its power, but the energy fluctuated madly."

Continuing, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "Cutting off one moment, then reversing, sucking power from Muud and channeling it into the earth. Muud roared, cutting off the link to the hearthstone, but it was too late. The hearthstone suddenly flared with dark power, a black implosion, dark like deep night, hurling Muud backwards. Its body, which seemed indestructible a moment ago, had a gaping hole that leaked black essence. Muud rolled backwards in pain, hastily rolling away, leaving a trail of its foul smoking blood."

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, ""You did it!" I shouted. "You've wounded Great Muud, a Soulless God!""

As Il'garala, her voice soft and almost somber, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "Yah... but look at the cost."

Voice slowing as she speaks as Cimtri, voice slow like that of one who has just seen something unimaginably, shockingly frightening, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "The valley where the hearthstone stood was a blackened charred hole. no life, no nature spirits, it was as if the earth burned both physically and spiritually. But Great Muud was wounded, and fleeing. How many villages would be saved today as a result?"

Nodding her head, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, ""I'll follow you, goddess," I said, full of faith and awe that would eventually turn to love. "I'll follow you anywhere.""

Almost dismissively as Il'garala, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "So be it." Her voice Cimtri-the-narrator's again, she says, "she said, turning her back and not waiting to see if I followed."

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "Thus I became known as the Oracle of the Earthburner, the mortal always at her side, listening to spirits of nature, beseeching them to sacrifice."

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "We were in much demand."

Looking up at the group, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "... end page one."

Aois-Dana Lavinya d'Murani, Chosen of Legion says, "While I admire your dramatics....you could perhaps be a bit faster in the recitation?"

Nodding, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "For the sake of brevity, I'll skip the dramatics. My apologies."

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "Alright. Quicker version and less dramatics, page two!"

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "For decades we travelled together, though age slowed me down. My joints ached, and I was now old and grey. But such knowledge I had! I knew the nature spirits willing to work with Il'garala. Papa Yara, White Blossom, Bone Vine, Dirty Pia and others. I knew the twilight realm, and many of its secrets."

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "Rarely did Il'garala meet with her sister, Il'vania. They were so opposite, like day and night. Il'vania rarely tapped into the wild energies of nature, or made hearthstones of destruction. Instead, she loved the cities, and used her powers of artifice to create unnatural spirits bound to hearthstones, where they served mortalkind."

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "Thus, Il'vania cultivated a reputation among mortals as the Mother, the Healer, the Caregiver, the Friend. I felt it unfair that Il'garala was misunderstood. Even those that sought her help feared her: the dark sister, the Earthburner. But when Il'vania called, Il'garala answered, helping her create hearthstones of great complexity. Thus, we travelled to Korvak, and Lirangsha, and Exaru."

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "Never though, not since I was at Il'garala's side, had she ever asked help of Il'vania. That is, not until Mornhai Valley."

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "Mornhai Valley was a secluded valley, unpopulated, redolent with power, perfect for a hearthstone of destruction to lure a Soulless God. Il'garala created her hearthstone just like any other. We summoned forth Dirty Pia and White Blossom to help in its creation. But Dirty Pia kept cursing at us, more than she usually did, and the hearthstone kept having trouble anchoring itself to the valley."

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, ""What do you see here, little elfen?" Il'garala asked me. "Look deep.""

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "Bowing my head, I let the Sight come forth. Everything seemed alive and verdant - almost too alive, bursting with life. Frowning, I searched deeper, willing the Sight to see deep beyond the veil into the twilight realm. Dirty Pia was there, taking the form of a young elfen covered in mud. She was arguing with White Blossom, who appeared as a maiden leeched of all colour. They stood in the twilight realm in front of a large mound of green grass that radiated power. When Dirty Pia saw me, she shook a fist then disappeared into the ground. Another nature spirit appeared to hover over the mound, a large feminine spirit surrounded surrounded by smaller brown spirits, but then White Blossom chased them."

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "Another nature spirit appeared to hover over the mound, a large feminine spirit surrounded surrounded by smaller brown spirits, but then White Blossom chased them away by splintering into her skeletal visage. Then returning to her white maiden form, she pointed at the mound encouragingly."

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "Straddling both worlds, I led Il'garala to anchor the hearthstone within the mound itself, and suddenly the hearthstone thrummed with energy, linking to the Mornhai Valley."

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "We were both taken aback by this energy. There was so much. How much destruction could be wrought from it?"

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "Il'garala spent many days building the hearthstone that was connected to this energy mound. With the help of White Blossom, I helped Il'garala strengthen the anchor that tied them together. When she scribed the runes upon the dark stone, it gleamed with an emerald light that flickered darkly. She frowned and stepped back to appraise her work. White Blossom looked strangely sad as she nodded to me before disappearing."

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, ""This energy is different," I said."

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, ""Yah," Il'garala nodded and rubbed her tired eyes. "Cimtri, see if you can activate it.""

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "This was a simple test, one we'd done again and again to measure the strength of a hearthstone. I laid my hands upon it, fingers finding the foundational runes, and drew a small trickle of power. But instead of a trickle, a torrent of hot energy shot from the hearthstone, and ripping through my fingers and up my arm, flaying muscle and arteries in its path, burning into my heart and down my spine. Simultaneously, a cool balmy energy coursed over me, knitting my flesh and bone. Destruction and creation waged war on my old body."

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "Vaguely aware of the Goddess flinging me away from the hearthstone, shouting my name, I collapsed in a heap on the ground, black and emerald fire still flickering over my body. Il'garala gently lifted me up, murmuring my name, and rocking me gently until consciousness fled and the world went dark."

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "I was in and out of consciousness for days. When finally I could think clearly, I realized Il'garala's sister was beside me. Il'vania was smaller than Il'garala, with small white horns barely peeking through her dark tresses which were tied up in a bun. She was at least a head shorter than her sister, dressed in a blue linen robe over which was a crisp cotton apron. Her long fingers traced along my head and neck, covering me with a gentle pink light."

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "I lifted my head which felt like it was about to explode, and Il'vania quickly set pillows behind me so I could sit up. I blinked in confusion for I was in some enclosure, with a roof overhead, and a fireplace in the corner. It made me unconformable for Il'garala and I generally slept under the stars. Looking out the windows, I saw trees and the distant mountain range. I sighed in relief as we were still in Mornhai Valley. Il'vania must have built this house for she always preferred such comforts."

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, ""What happened?" I asked and Il'garala was immediately by my side taking hold my hand."

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, ""A miracle, little elfen," Il'garala said softly. "The energies from the hearthstone be unstable, would have killed you. Should have killed you.""

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, ""But yet I live.""

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, ""You tapped into incredible healing energies," said Il'vania. "But it was incompatible with the configuration of destruction in the hearthstone. It both destroyed you, and healed and replenished you.""

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, ""I didn't know what to do, little elfen," said Il'garala, "so I called my sister here.""

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, ""And I am glad you did," said Il'vania. "This discovery is remarkable. We found a second mound of power at the other end of the valley, and created a hearthstone to use this energy as it was meant to be used.""

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, ""Where is it?" I asked."

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, ""You are resting on it, little one," said Il'garala."

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "I felt beneath me and realized the blankets covered a hard surface thrumming with power."

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, ""There is something else," said Il'vania who nodded at Il'garala. "The...accident, shall we call it? The accident changed you.""

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, ""Changed?" I said, imaging all sorts of physical deformities."

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "Il'garala smiled and brought a mirror to my face, which reflected back to me a young elfen. I was no longer wrinkled, my flesh did not sag. It was a face I had not seen for decades. My hair, however, was white as snow."

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, ""You're young again," said Il'vania. "Actually, you're not just young. We believe you are as immortal as we are.""

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "It took almost a month of recuperation before I could comfortably move around. During this time, the sisters conducted more experiments on the two hearthstones. They were not able to find another mound, and neither could I when I was asked to look. So it seemed there were only two of these unique mounds in Mornhai Valley, hidden in the twilight realm."

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "The sisters argued constantly about what should be done with these hearthstones."

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, ""The healing powers are 
unprecedented! We've never seen anything like it," said Il'vania. "We could heal wounds, rebuild limbs, there's no limit to what it might do.""

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, ""They not be something we could move around!" said Il'garala. "Time enough they'll be found by the Soulless, especially if they sense wounded being constantly brought here. And what then? Would the Soulless become even greater?""

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, ""I recognize this energy, don't you? It is divine energy from the Time of the Elders. That energy is antithesis to the Soulless, I'm sure of it.""

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, ""All the more reason they should be used as weapons! We've learned much since Cimitri's accident. Help me, sister! Together we could create something that may even destroy a Soulless God!""

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, ""Everything is destruction with you!" cried Il'vania. "If these hearthstones are destroyed, we'll never have another like them. They would be lost forever!""

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "In the end, the sisters could not agree what to do with the hearthstones, and decided to consult with the other Vernal Gods. But there was as much disagreement among the gods as there was between the sisters. In the end, they agreed to keep Mornhai Valley hidden, and not draw attention to it - then perhaps it could be used in the wars as a last ditch weapon."

Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "Thus, it remained hidden while centuries passed."

Seeming winded, Pretty Guardian Selenity Siar'luin of the Arrey Arrane says, "... end page two."

Comments

• Bless you Cimitri, for all the sacrifices and works you and il'garala undertook. Heroes seen as destroyers for the sacrifices that needed to be made. May you find peace. /forumRP.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Guess we should have mulched the Milch.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • I remember when I had to read all of that out to people last year! You did it so much better than I did. Jealous. I wa sjust going to make copies this year and pass them out.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Tbh, when I read that the first thing I thought of was @Svana.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.