Let's talk about Characterization!

PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
In the fine tradition of Lusternian threads in which we discuss our characters, I think we need to have a thread about FATEifying them. What is this FATEification, I hear all of you asking? Why, it's a thing which can be described by quoting myself from another thread!

"What matters more than anything else is characterization that leads to actions. Your character can have all the deep dark secrets in the world, but if they don't have an effect on how he acts, when played, they don't actually matter. Same thing goes with backstory. It doesn't do a whole lot of good if it doesn't lead to you doing something. That doesn't mean you have to tell people about it all the time. If it influences your choice of actions, then it can be useful. And telling people about it is itself an action, so talking about that backstory can be useful, too. A lot of people seem to feel like they need huge backstories and piles of secrets and whatnot that, in the end, don't really effect anything. This is a stumbling block for some people when it comes to, well, characterizing. They want depth, but they don't want to do a huge history. That's alright! There's an easier way that works out to be a lot more useful in practice.

There's an RPG system called FATE that turned this into a core mechanic, and I'm going to use their terminology here. A character has some number of aspects which are core points of characterization, the character's defining traits. These are big, important traits, not little things like appearance, unless of course appearance is important to that character (it usually is not.) They get snappy names to really hammer home the nature of the aspect, and to make them memorable. In FATE, there are some game mechanics that encourage people to act according to these aspects. That doesn't exist in Lusternia, obviously, but it's stilll a good way to structure a character. When deciding what to do, look at your list of aspects and see if any of them seem relevant, and act accordingly. That's not to say you always have to follow them. There could be other situational factors involved, after all! But they do provide a very strong place to start thinking about things, and generally following them is a good way to stay reasonably consistent without acting by rote.

You don't want too many aspects. These are big picture type thing, after all, and having too many dilutes the characterization too much (Some complexity is good. Excessive complexity is not. This can be a hard line to find, and it depends on the type or roleplaying/writing that's happening.) FATE uses five aspects for a player character, and that's a good number to stick around. Maybe use a little more, maybe use a little less, but stay in that ballpark. FATE also kind of elevates two of them above the others in the character creation process, a core concept and the trouble, which in the context of the RPG is the big one that causes problems for that character. These are a little less applicable to something like Lusternia, but can be useful to keep in mind nonetheless.

Let's do Portius as an example!

The Lord-Librarian- Portius is a peer. This is probably the single most important part of his characterization. He's at the very top of Hallifaxian society, and he got there through his own merit. He's aware of his status, and he doesn't like it when people don't respect it. That can be devaluing his work or his position, or it can be from claiming to be high status without having done anything in the arts/sciences. This covers his vanity, his pride, but also his dedication to being good at things, because that is what it is to be a peer. That's the crux of this aspect. He's a peer, he knows it, and he makes a point of acting accordingly.

Glory to the Collective- Portius is a devoted Hallifaxian nationalist. He cares about its economic health and so forth, but he's mostly concerned with making sure it's glorious. He recognizes that he's one of the most public people in Hallifaxian culture, and he revels in doing that much to build Hallifax's reputation. Even with practical matters, like industrialization, Portius cares just as much about making sure Hallifax is better than other nations as he does about the actual benefit to the city.

The Sublime Theorem-Beauty comes from comprehension. Truth is beauty. Thus, scientific research is the pursuit of beauty as much as it is any practical knowledge. This aspect, more than anything else, is Portius as the pure scientist. This is Portius alone in his lab, or presenting a lecture, marvelling at the sheer beauty of reality as it is understood. He is a peer because he is a scientist. He is a scientist because knowing things is magnificent.

A Civilized Man is a Virtuous Man-To shy from technology is foolishness. Willful ignorance is a sin. Those are both problems for the forestals. He might like an individual one here or there (Remember what I said about being able to break away from aspects sometimes? This is it!) but on the whole, they are pathetic savages. You can be evil without living in the forests, like Gaudiguchis are, but you cannot be good without living in a city. Ultimately, those luddites are worse than Celestines or Magnagorans. We can use them, but we can use horses, too. Doesn't mean that they're people.

Virtue is a Choice-Being good or evil comes down to your choices. If you live in the forest, or in Gaudiguch, you do it by choice. You could leave. But you haven't, you chose not to. That means you're choosing to be morally worse than him. That makes him pretty harsh on moral failings. But at the same time, if you can choose to be evil, you can also choose to be good. That means there is always a chance for a person to chose virtue and redeem themselves. You have to be wary of them, because it could be a trick, and sometimes it's just too dangerous to trust them, but it can happen. There is always hope.

That covers the things about Portius that actually matter pretty thoroughly. Him disapproving of Zyphora being married to Turnus? I'm invoking (the FATE term for choosing to use an aspect) A Civilized Man is a Virtuous Man to hate Turnus and Virtue is a Choice to be really hard on Zyphie about it. After all, she's letting her emotions drive her to consort with a confounded savage when she could just control herself and make a better choice! Mad at Cosette for disrespecting the peerage? Naturally, since he is The Lord-Librarian!

There's an absence in that list of aspects that some of you might have noticed. There isn't anything that refers to him being in @Isune order, even though he's in the Grand Salon and everything. That's because him following Isune isn't a terribly important part of his character. Leaving it wouldn't significantly change how he acts. He follows a goddess of beauty because he has strong ideas about The Sublime Theorem, but those ideas cause him to worship Isune, not the other way around. If there was a god that was more openly about that kind of thing, he'd drop Isune (who is occasionally kind of dismissive about science in a way that bothers Portius) in a heartbeat. Same thing if she ever said something really anti-sciencey.

And that's Portius, as expressed through the aspect system. It's not everything about him. It's the important things, the parts that are really relevant to deciding what to do. Try putting your character through it. Makes you decide what's really important to the characterization."

Now you should all put your characters into that same system. @Zitto and I want to see them.
Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I keep eyeballing this thread, but it seems slow to get started. Are your aspects ones you basically made up, or is there a list you took them from?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    You make them up to describe the character's most important traits.  Then you make sure to give them snappy names because it's cool and to make them memorable, of course.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Yeah the tricky part is that our characters weren't designed around "Aspects," so we have to kind of reverse engineer them from how we play. I'm trying to get to the nuclei of Dar's behaviors. Stand by.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I'm also going to try and post up @Enya's aspects, when I gets a minute.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    @Zitto seriously implied that he would as well. Hint.
  • edited October 2014
    This was hard for me as I prefer freeform RP and adapting things on, and I'm not surprised so far it appears to be Hallifax players who have posted here (Being influenced by where their character's are, and there is nothing wrong with that). I've made his ones more poetic and story-like. If someone was describing him, basically.

For The Forest, Not The People.

Haezon has made a commitment to his home, not the people within. His mothers Celina and Astraea showed him the difference between the forest, and the people. People come and go, people leave and disappoint. They betray the forest, they lie and abuse in the forest, in his home. People within have fought him, and tried to get the best of him, and they are gone, scattered or rejected, rebuked, shown for what they are. Countless times Haezon has predicted someone is not right for the forest, and they have gone. Just as Glomdoring has shucked and thrown out those unworthy, it will continue to do so. It is not his job to worry, or care. If he is wrong, then he is wrong. The forest has shown and punished him when he was wrong, and it will when he is wrong. Love the forest. Screw the people. He will defend them, like them, and respect them, but if he has to choose between the forest, or them, always the forest. Despite this, sometimes it is hard that he cannot leave, and perhaps within him is a little hint of jealousy at those who can give up and go the easy route. But he powers on.

Honouring the Sacrifice

After breaking from the harmful illusion concerning he had of himself and the Lady of the Thorns, he has turned to a Divine which has given him the most. Lady Trillillial. Truly the greatest of the artists, one of the only two to ever splinter, gifting him with the spirit she had to paint the sky and fly through it with joy. His work and art he does for the forest, but every piece of created delight honours more and more the Divine which gave Her life to help stop the Soulless. He will never meet her, only connect with her, through his art, and his joy. He is grateful to her for blessing his race with their artistic ability, allowing him to serve Glomdoring well, and pay back all it has given him.

Extra: Hallifax annoys him. Although inspired by his Lady, it is marred by the cold and heartless conformity of Xyl's influence, and Lucidian, and he considers it a terrible shame that it had to be like that. Some may say it was Hallifax who made the Glomdoring, by pushing the Taint to Gloriana, but as this was done out of cowardice, Haezon feels no gratitude, just disappointment in what Hallifax is. Still, he likes to visit sometimes and gaze upon unfamiliar architecture for inspiration.

Alone, but not Alone

Once he flew. Once he flew the entire stretch of Icewynd. He reached up high to when he could not see the ground below, and it was just him within Night's bosom in the eternal sky above. Then he awoke. In the sky of his beloved Goddess' creation (He uses False Memory to erase anyone else's contribution) he flies and turns. High up in Lirangsha, where he can look over the Basin, or over the frozen wastelands of Icewynd, rich with the history of his race, he feels at peace. He wanted a mother, a sister, a family. He wants a lover, a confidant, but these things escape him, and the Glomdoring is not there to be a loved one. Is wanting family and love weak? He does not think so, but for now, he finds himself alone, but not alone, together as one with the sky, and Trillillial, and Mother Night, but not being able to be with them, only to see and feel them. How can it be enough?

The Black Minister

Being Culture Minister is not as fun as he first thought it would be. But it has defined him, and now he is defined by it. When people call him Minister, he feels happy, and trusted. But he can't rate plays (He considers this very unfair), and whether he likes it or not, has to play with politics. He feels obligated on certain points to tend to what political topics interest him, and has strong feelings about certain things one way or another. The joy it has given him, and the responsibility, is great, but his dislike of politics makes him… naive. He does not see it as a political position, just as a way to help Culture and have fun, as well as easy access to making and directing plays. Having minions to help him with work is also fun for his consideration.

The Night-Minstrel

Haezon is an artist, but also a poet and writer. Researching and writing about his guild's Voice, he finds it the ultimate expression of how to get ahead in the Basin. The rich history of his forest and the experiences of Lady Mahalla inspire him to represent the Harbingers and himself well. He likes to talk to different people, adapting mannerisms and being friendly with everyone. To date, only Serenwilde has people he is not friendly with, but as they never reach out and he never meets any nice people, he doesn't mind. As Culture Minister, too, he tries to make Glomdoring's culture known and his contributions seared into people's minds. Haezon also talks, a lot, and it's rumoured only two people can shut him up without using their authority.

Patriot, Minstrel, Minister, Playwright

In general, the patriotism has been drummed into him by varied experiences from within his home and in his experience not having faith in the Glomdoring can destroy people. He has seen many people come and go, and when two of what he considered mentors or helpers abandoned the forest and left (One going insane to his mind, and the other just leaving), it showed him really that there is no point honouring idiots, only leading by their example and not going insane or leaving, instead honouring what they were, and what they told him. He doesn't have any ill-will towards anyone who is polite and friendly, nor does he mind discussing philosophy with others. Do not try to convert him, however, or he will make his feelings clear.

His soul is black, his skin is black, his wings are black, Mother Night is black so he is Haezon The Black. What sort of black is it, you ask? The Void's black.

When Haezon comes up with a new idea for a play or event, he acts with abandon, finding everything acceptable as long as it is in the right light. He is Honouring The Sacrifice, however, The Black Minister rears it's head, and he must remember to temper his works, to make them appropriate. Otherwise, because of Honouring The Sacrifice, he'd be completely unrestrained, completely untamed, and pure abstract thought (Extract from play: "Your attempts at rebuttal are painful to watch, I defy you now by grabbing my crotch!").

(Aside note: Just realised this is slowly becoming '@Isune bashing thread' from our characters. Sorry! I just remembered halfway through Isune was Trillillial's sister too, but er yeah, False Memory~)
    Retired.
  • Haezon said:
    the experiences of Lord Mahalla
    Mahalla was female...
  • edited October 2014
    Tomo said:
    Haezon said:
    the experiences of Lord Mahalla
    Mahalla was female…
    Or was she? OR WAS SHE? (Yes she was, damn typo).
    Retired.
  • I want more of these, official necro initiated. I'm making one too. Make more!
  • +1 for the necro, I love re-reading what I wrote about myself #egotism

• Temple Cat - Wyle is first and foremost a Templar. A keeper of the sacred peace of Gaudiguch, and someone who must sacrifice her own time and energy so that others are free to indulge with theirs. She takes this commitment very seriously, and is willing to sabotage others perceptions of her character of person in order to ensure that the personal freedoms of those around her are upheld and their individual natures allowed to flourish. If she ever discovered the manipulative side of Gaudiguch, it's highly likely that she would integrate herself into it to make sure that the citizens of Gaudiguch were kept happy, even if that happiness was ultimately just a subtler opiate.

Fiery Zeal - Once she's set her mind to something, Wyle puts her entire effort into believing that thing. She does not brook well with questioning her beliefs, and I personally style her paradigmatics not as her intentionally manipulating inherent instabilities within reality, but that her convictions are so fervent that reality itself must bend to meet them.She wholeheartedly believes that everything she does is for the greater good, and that ultimately the entire world will be reborn into a more enlightened civilisation because of actions like hers. The idea that others might not also have the same passions in other directions is, to her, a sign of their delusion.

Sacred Space - While she really enjoys being part of a crowd, Wyle strongly prefers being independent of others. This doesn't mean she's a loner, just that she get uncomfortable spending every waking moment with someone, no matter how much she likes or cares about that person. This has caused its fair share of strife in her past, but due to Fiery Zeal she refuses to back down about this issue. The short-ticket to her bad side is to try and be around her when she doesn't want you specifically there, or to try to actively monopolize her time.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Subotai:

All work and no play makes you a bad person - Subby isn't afraid of working hard when he needs to, but he can turn it off as needed. He can be fighting against you one minute, and sending you cupcakes after the raid is over. He feels that if you can't enjoy life, why live it? What good is hard work if you can't enjoy the fruits of your labors? Subby has a severe dislike of people who are constantly at attention, constantly on guard and constantly unable to relax. If you can't lighten up, he has no place for you in his life.

Generosity is its own reward - Subby spends a lot of money on people, and doesn't think much about it. If he has gold, he spends it. If he doesn't have gold, he makes it and spends it. He's sort of easy-going, and it doesn't bother him to dump a load of gold on a novice who needs stuff, or to pour gold into a feast to feed a bunch of people, or even to sell food below cost just because people like his cooking. He's not wasteful, he just believes in giving what he has to others in need. Why hoard something that is so easily received?

Passionate Peacock - For a long while, Subby was a hedonist. He whored around (not really), wore fancy clothes, got drunk and threw up all over the place, and generally did what he wanted, where he wanted, simply for the pleasure of it. Since joining Crumkane's order, he's grown up a bit; he still loves wearing fancy clothes and trying new foods for the sheer pleasure of it. He's learned a bit of self control, but that doesn't stop him from buying a new robe simply because he enjoys the feel of the fabric or how it matches his hair.

Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • SelenitySelenity My first MC to stay in Serenwilde
    The Darkest Nights have the Brightest Stars
    There is always hope, even if the situation seems really bleak. Even one of the songs that she sings - regularly - has the following lines, "Mother Moon watches from above / And should She hide Her face to us / The Stars will always be there to Guide us / We shall never be lost in the Dark!" Selenity is a hope machine, and even though she's realistic and can see how terribly things can go, she has her fears counterbalanced by her hope.

Divine Love
    Not like that, you lot! She loves @Darvellan, which many characters can likely say about their Divine. However, she ends every prayer with 'Love, Selenity' and he occupies this unusual spot of... idol, parental-like figure, and obviously, Divine Patron. She looks up to Him for more than He likely realizes, and does her best to emulate His best traits from what she's seen. While she is scared of disappointing a lot of people, the one she's scared of disappointing the most is Darvellan. So when people jokingly point out that she's slipping up in offerings - likely not realizing that she has to offer twice what they do to even be on par with them! - she feels waves of guilt and worry.

Ethereal Child
    Selenity spent her pre-Portal days in Ethereal Serenwilde. She was raised by Selene... which led to her name, and likely a good deal of her caring, nurturing nature. And a good deal of her cluelessness to how or why things operate the way they do on the Prime Plane. She doesn't understand why people would lie, though she knows that they do and can usually spot it as a result. If her family were to lie to her, she would be clueless to it as she believes they would never lie to her, a result of her time on Ethereal being told and taught by Selene how families were supposed to function... not actually how they do. Also, emphasis on child. She did leave the Portal of Fate and is indeed a woman, but her mindset is still very much like that of a child. She tries her best to act as an adult is expected to, but when scared, or sad, or extremely extremely comfortable, she acts like a little girl.
  • edited January 2015

Native of the Undervault

While her memory of her youth is still mostly clouded by her passage through the portal of fate she finds the Undervault comforting and familiar. She strives to uphold her racial heritage through what her Hive Queen teaches her and what she discovers for herself through her visits to her homeland. Dakhamunzu also strives to keep her fear of the sky deeply hidden. She honestly hates Serenwilde sometimes for it's lack of proper buildings and caverns. She seeks out places that have some familiarity to them and tries to stay indoors when it is raining.

Everything and Everyone Has Their Use

Dakhamunzu hates waste, she finds it abhorrent and completely repugnant. This doesn't necessarily mean that everything has to live up to its full potential but neither should it lay on the wayside and rot. With people this mostly translates to her looking down upon those who do not contribute in someway to their community. With objects it's a bit more complicated. She has learned that while the surface has many more resources than the Undervault does, it is still limited by the simple fact that much of the world has been devoured by the Soulless. This has led her to question why people built cities that further use up these limited resources when forestall communes and small villages seem much more logical.

Manners and Appearance go a Long Way

Violence, threats, and insults will only make a situation worse. Simply being polite and actually talking about things in a reasonable manner will solve far more disputes than a more confrontational attack. This includes appearance and how someone presents themselves. As a result Dakhamunzu wears upworlder clothing despite how uncomfortable she feels in it and tires to be polite to even those who have been aggressive towards her or those she cares about.

Edit: I forgot one!

Records or it Didn't Happen

Dakhamunzu is extremely unsettled that she doesn't remember her life before the portal. As a result she now keeps a journal so that if the inexplicable ever happens again and she forgets everything she will at least have her journal as a reference point. This has also lead to respect for books and the knowledge they contain. It's an anchor that will always stay the same. If she comes back to a book it will provide her with the exact same information it did the last time she read it.

• This looks kinda interesting so lets see...

Hope for the coming storm - Saran has seen Serenwilde at it's strongest and he has seen the decades that followed, he knows the strength that the forest possessed and he struggles constantly to maintain the hope that the forces of nature will rise up to reclaim the land as he believes is the true path.

Life is loss - Saran has lived for centuries now, he remembers glory days that are only vague concepts to many of the people that surround him. He has learned and seen what has happened to nature and especially over the years, tempering, at times even dousing, his hope for a bright future. All around him he sees death and destruction of the natural world and this makes him struggle with his faith at times.

Everything is layered, only the surface is for all - When he was young, Saran was a joyous and rather open person. He aligned heavily with the concept of the Fawn or the Maiden, being nearly a perfect little snugglewilder though with boundary issues that held him back from truly embracing the title. Over the years layers have formed around him that he has withdrawn into due to heavily personal incidents. To those on the outside he is overly formal (to maintain the distance, though if you're not close to/respected by him and he's just using your name... you're probably worse than the general public in his eyes), and likely abrasive(because often... he just can't care). Though as he grows closer and more trusting these traits disappear to reveal a likely more mature version of the person he was. 

Power both deep and ancient - Saran firmly believes that the true power of Serenwilde is in its connection to nature and its history. Through the standing stones he believes he has seen the truth of the White Harts teachings, that if one can learn to draw upon the power within the natural world as well as the powers of the past all the way through to the before-time then little is beyond capabilities the forest. 
    The power and gift of nature is growth, the cycles of life are both cyclical (repetition over time) and an ever widening spiral (each cycle ultimately creates more than it destroys) because the forest remains true to its connection to the natural world, and it's connection to the natural world provides a true connection to Dynara(the only city that he considers might have a similar connection is Celest, but he feels that like all cities their path has lead them astray and they lack the necessary bond with the natural world).

Sublimation is the Path - Ultimately, the path forward as Saran sees it is to cast off that which is not necessary. To force mortal will on nature is our failing and while the Elders may have possessed an intuitive connection to the will of Dynara that caused them to follow the true path, they also possessed the ability to go against the path of nature, and as with all things it has only grown when allowed to. 
    This manifests in the belief that mortals should call on nature to provide rather than merely building whatever they think they need, perhaps abnormally large trees will provide a home, perhaps a cave system exists that can be used, animals may come to create an appropriate space, or more directly the Fae (being intrinsically bound to the will of nature) may provide permission or direction. 
    Of course, there is some need to help fight the battle so he... accepts things such as farming, mining, etc but he also looks forward to the day that nature reaches up from within the earth and reclaims the world from those that have scarred it.
  • Hrm... I suppose I could try my hand on this.

Right Will. Right Way - The only thing that ultimately ensures virtuous conduct is the will to be virtuous. External rules and regulations can provide incentive for proper actions, but if you yourself as an individual can't motivate yourself to act morally, then none of your actions have moral, even though they may end up helpful for others. This is also why Kira is so strongly for a collectivist/socialist approach to society. By instilling collectivism as an ideal, you teach people to think of how their actions affect the group as a whole, and not just themselves. 

Trust no one - There is no such thing as friendship. Though there may be an occasional diamond in the rough, the vast, vast majority of people are untrustworthy. Do not believe their claims to altruism. Do not ever rely on good will. People are ultimately selfish. And that people will act selfishly is the only thing certain n sociology. The only way to avoid further stabs in your back, is to never expose your back to anyone ever again. It's better this way.

Beauty is everywhere - There's beauty in so many things. Not just crystal sculptures or tints on a canvas. There's beauty in the way the wind spins the desert sands into amazing patterns. There's beauty in how the marsh-flowers push up from the inhospitable wetlands to thrive, despite it all.Challenging the common perceptions of beauty is not just fun, but it's a necessity. It's a requirement in order to educate the masses on the importance of creativity.

Salvation through knowledge - The most important quality one can have, is the desire to learn.Learn from mistakes, so you don't make them again. Learn from introspection, so you can do right the first time around. Learn, study, grow. Proper will is enhanced by proper knowledge. And proper knowledge provides so many more opportunities. Just think of how many inventions that have helped enhance quality of life. From the humble plow that helps the farmer in the field, to the sleek crystalpads, that helps the Hallifaxian bureaucrats to organize everything. To the knowledge crystals, that help researchers ensure that their technology isn't lost. Learning more can only make life better for everyone.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.