Conflict quests

2»

Comments

• This was, at least in part, one of the reason for this request: Bugged counter-quests. Yes, it'd suck when Zenos blows up, but at least it'd be over, instead of having him be around forever. Imagine what would happen if the counter-quest to the TBC got bugged...
  • Maligorn said:

General consensus of everyone is that destroying it should give a Soulless curio. Admin aren't on board though, or they haven't heard this suggestion!

Fairly certain they have. As far as I know it was said that the spire isn't a Soulless artifact or something along those lines.

That said, don't make it about soulless curios. Ask the admin to make some other suitable reward for taking it down. They could Deus Ex Machina an NPC who wants to conduct research on defeating the spire and helping him as you take it down could give a suitable reward.

While I don't personally like to see the number of curio bits inflated, perhaps one solution is to have a generic quest curio set for those quests which don't fit into the current molds? Maybe the "quester's" or "explorer's" set or collection. Possible ideas, could get away from DMP or add in the ones that are still not as represented as others.

Or, the individual sets could give minor weather protection (two for cold,
    the other two for hot it doesn't have to be much of a boost).

The collection power could either be a bix to some of the newer areas (like most of the quest curios) or could work as a single point pyramid (something that would be useful to questers and explorers).
  • edited February 2015
    I bugged this quest -long- ago but it recently timed out and is only now on @Ieptix 's magical bug list export file.

Anyhow, it takes about 10-15 minutes to blind the eye. It's incredibly simple and about a month ago or whatnot when I blinded the eye no one ever even felt the effects of it. In fact, it's so easy it took me -years- to be there at the exact right time to be able to get the honor line.  The only reason it's still around is that it's currently bugged (I tested). Also, since this doesn't target any group of people specifically, it's completely different than, say, TBC or Spire.

Reasons why this is a bad thing:
    - It trivially hits players every so often, an annoyance

Reasons why this is a good thing:
    - Players actually get to impact the world
    - Players like doing quests, and having such a bug ensures that it gets fixed in a timely manner rather than YEARS later, if ever.
    - Players learn about and get to see new experiences
    - More stuff I'm sure I've forgotten to mention
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.

Personally, I think if a player releases something like this, or the Slagwhore tentacles, there should be a world emote announcing it so people know to blame and org enemy.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Y'know, that's always made me wonder... Is QUESTS <quest> RANKINGS considered IC or OOC? For instance, can you check up QUESTS GULAGOYLES RANKINGS and act on those names in an IC manner (y'know, if you were so inclined)?
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Ssaliss said:

Y'know, that's always made me wonder... Is QUESTS <quest> RANKINGS considered IC or OOC? For instance, can you check up QUESTS GULAGOYLES RANKINGS and act on those names in an IC manner (y'know, if you were so inclined)?

You mean magically knowing that someone assisted NPC X to do Y? I'd say that's a big no. Next thing you'll be having finks raging at players that have fink kills under ACHIEVEMENT STATS (Or gnomes, w/e)

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I have the opposite impression; information available in-game is fair game, to me.  You "magically know" a lot of things about someone from their HONOURS.  This is just more information etched into the person's thread and maintained by overly nosy busybodies.
  • Does QUEST <x> RANKINGS give dates of completion as well, or would someone need to have eidetic memory and/or be OCD about checking/documenting it EVERY day to see when a person completed it?

Otherwise it's still kind of useless for determining if a person should be enemied for it since, y'know, after the first time they can just say 'I already dealt with my status for that.'.
  • It doesn't list dates, no, but it'd be very easy for someone to write a small script to check one or two quests and output any new names.
  • Even though the whole Zenos thing is a massive annoyance, I am actually glad it has stuck around for a little while. If it had appeared and then disappeared quickly I wouldn't have found a way to bring it into my RP. 
  • That seems like OOC information. Where as HONOURS shows some of this off, it was more a showoff type of thing. Anytime script can alter IC events, there is an issue.  If you did not catch them doing it you do not know when, and that is how it should be really.  Things like the Spire should call off who did them, because like TBC, it has a negative impact on a direct org.  At least the Slaghora things don't actually do anything to an org, they just sit around and get bashed.
    Malarious said:

That seems like OOC information. Where as HONOURS shows some of this off, it was more a showoff type of thing. Anytime script can alter IC events, there is an issue.  If you did not catch them doing it you do not know when, and that is how it should be really.  Things like the Spire should call off who did them, because like TBC, it has a negative impact on a direct org.  At least the Slaghora things don't actually do anything to an org, they just sit around and get bashed.

They sit in a neutral territory where anyone including novices might walk through, and they aggro them.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    Elanorwen said:

Next thing you'll be having finks raging at players that have fink kills

I'm certainly not gonna bother raging at people about that, and it's not like there are tons of other fink players around. I mean, even I killed 100 finks for the reward.

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    That, and let's be honest.  Those're inferior finks.  If they'd been worth a spit, they'd have survived.  /forumrp
  • Can't you just QUESTS UNTRACK before you start the quest to stop anyone knowing you did it? I seem to remember testing that. If that works then I'd treat it as OOC info.
  • I think QUEST UNTRACK <quest> is just for your own info.
    Qistrel said:

Elanorwen said:

Next thing you'll be having finks raging at players that have fink kills

I'm certainly not gonna bother raging at people about that, and it's not like there are tons of other fink players around. I mean, even I killed 100 finks for the reward.
    Just because you aren't going to doesn't mean others won't. People will use any excuse they can find to kill others.
    Tarkenton said:

That, and let's be honest.  Those're inferior finks.  If they'd been worth a spit, they'd have survived.  /forumrp

That's like saying the illithoid/kephera that get killed in UV are inferior too, yet there's plenty of players that jump others for killing those. Plus 52315123 other NPCs that get killed and people jump each other over.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Elanorwen said:

Qistrel said:

Elanorwen said:

That's like saying the illithoid/kephera that get killed in UV are inferior too, yet there's plenty of players that jump others for killing those. Plus 52315123 other NPCs that get killed and people jump each other over.

To play devil's advocate: These finks are, in-universe, in-lore weaker and inferior to 'real' finks found elsewhere. This isn't just a mechanic divorced from story, they're actually wimps.
    Aerotan said:

Elanorwen said:

Qistrel said:

Elanorwen said:

To play devil's advocate: These finks are, in-universe, in-lore weaker and inferior to 'real' finks found elsewhere. This isn't just a mechanic divorced from story, they're actually wimps.
    Which are 'these'? The ones in Newton? Fair enough. What about the ones on Mucklemarsh? Are they wimps, too? Because really... I don't seem to recall any other places you can run into them. So uhhhh.... they are the 'real' finks at this point.

#finklivesmatter
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Perhaps, but, you can brush it aside as "I killed those inferior finks, not the grand specimens you're descended from".
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    The finks in Mucklemarsh are much stronger then Newton finks, and HELP FINKS specifically says that the finks who went to Newton became smaller and weaker, and implies that player finks are therefore not from Newton, being clever and fast.