Roleplay Divine

edited April 2015 in Ideas
I was going to post this in simple ideas, but this isn't simple at all.

As all of us know, having a divine go inactive on you sucks. You get into the RP, you get settled, you love them, and bam. They are gone. Whether they quit, are too busy with their work, or even just lose their will for it. It sucks. It sucks a lot. ANd it sucks for the people who have to leave.

So my idea is Divine whose sole purpose in the game is to roleplay. RP the history, RP with the people. Make orders go from dying butts with little to no interaction to thriving hubs like they used to be. No creating, no coding, nothing. Just roleplay.

Discuss my vague idea!

Comments

• edited April 2015
    You run into the issue that new Gods would never get their realms then among other things. Firstly, to my knowledge, playing a god role is the admin's 'reward' for coding/writing/other work. Drocilla has told us that gods (once they get the role) have to earn their godrealm. Having to do have just as much work as it took them to get the god role in the first place
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    It would make more sense to overhaul the patron role, so that it's not an OOC necessity to have an active aligned god, who then shoulders all of the behind the scenes work for an org. Something like a more formalized IDEAs paging system that allows any interested administrator to pick up a project and communicate with IC org leadership, avoiding obnoxious message tag - where you don't even know if your messages were received. The added benefit would be that patrons could be actually chosen on the basis of RP instead of pure availibility.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I think one of the reasons there isn't just a RP Divine is because even that role entails a LOT of trust and responsibility, access to information that no one else is allowed to know and abilities that are, literally, game breaking if used improperly. All of the behind the scenes work that admin have to do to earn their godrealm, for example, is part of slowly earning the trust of Estarra and being able to use all of the available tools gods get. Even an RP-only god needs to know how the game works and how to code in it to do the things we'd need/expect that god to do.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • edited April 2015
    If memory serves and if I understood you right, we already had this RP Divine thing and it didn't work out. That's why we have Ascendants and not 'Ascended gods' these days.

However, what I do think would be neat is if certain guild/order/city officials could possess certain NPCs of their org to deepen the org-rp. Such as the GL using the guild tutor to give the newb a lesson or leading a ritual etc. (I have no idea whether that isn't already possible though).
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I do think it would be pretty cool if there was a way to make this a thing - people who have more time to simply rp and possess NPCs for rp would be amazing. I would even forgo some new shiny things for more roleplay from divine.

• Ascended Gods were a bit different, they were a reward for "winning" as opposed to something selected like admin normally are.

To me though, an rp god would still need to work hard, they'd just be working hard in a different way. I would imagine that an rp god would be put to work still, but as opposed to developing areas or smashing bugs, they would be more exclusively focused on writing histories, developing lore, etc. 

They'd potentially be a bit more active through denizens and as their god persona, but I'd expect that they'd have a lot of work still behind the scenes preparing for all of that and getting everything signed off on still.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Doesn't one of the other IRE games have some sort of Docent program?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Shaddus said:

Imperian did, years ago, but I think it is long defunct. Not sure why though.
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    Yacsee said:

However, what I do think would be neat is if certain guild/order/city officials could possess certain NPCs of their org to deepen the org-rp. Such as the GL using the guild tutor to give the newb a lesson or leading a ritual etc. (I have no idea whether that isn't already possible though).

I don't really like this idea because the people who would be possessing the NPC would be a normal player instead of someone trusted by Estarra herself to properly uphold the org's RP. I understand that the benefit would be having more NPC interaction/roleplay, but this idea makes me uncomfortable because when they talk, the words of NPC's are generally trusted unconditionally (at least by me) because of that knowledge that the Divine controlling them is a sanctioned lore-upholder. If a GL, for example, didn't fully follow/uphold an org's lore/etiquette, and leaked that through to an NPC while interacting with a newbie, there would be a detrimental effect on long-established customs within that org and improper teaching of the newbie. Not to mention the very broad possibility of general abuse.

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Unless the NPC is wrong, of course. Taking the word of gods IC as being total gospel is bad form, imo. I don't think it's a good idea to give general npc possession powers to org leaders either, though.
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    edited April 2015
    Enyalida said:

Unless the NPC is wrong, of course. Taking the word of gods IC as being total gospel is bad form, imo. I don't think it's a good idea to give general npc possession powers to org leaders either, though.

I definitely don't take their word as canon 100% of the time. But when there's funky stuff going around in your org (which may or may not lead to an event), and someone gets the idea to go to all the named org NPC's and ask them for advice, I like to believe that said NPC's know what they're talking about when they answer. If someone decides to possess an NPC during those time and say "Those fires were set by Serenwilde!" (using a Glomdoring instance as an example) just to stir things up, then things would just get messy. (EDIT #2: Not to say that I'm against Glom-Seren opposition, but in context if it's during a cease-fire and the player behind the NPC just wants to complicate things)

Yes, the admins could prevent NPC's from being possessed by normal players during event time, but I just think the whole thing would get messy.

EDIT: Also, if the newbie is a true newbie, they're not necessarily going to know what's wrong and what's right in the way of org rp/etiquette/beliefs/what-have-you.

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• 1) The average lifetime/burn-rate of a Divine is on the order of 2yrs
    2) No one could play Fain like Fain
    </RANT>
  • Shaddus said:

It's Eliza program.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA
    </RANT>
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Personally, I'd be happy if we had a group of people devoted to possessing mobs in orgs to rp with lowbies/midbies and get them interested.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    I could definitely get behind that!
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

• Also, impersonate and ventriloquate are great to use on newbies/lowbies. So you can sort of do this already. It's a complete lark ICly, but whatevs, it gets the job done for little minor RP things, and it's great for fun flavor.
    And now that we can preface emotes, you can do amazing RP things and just slip your name in their somewhere to make it work.