Player-driven events

Will there be an announce regarding the giant political shift that has occurred recently between player-run cities? I feel that it's kind of a huge deal as to what happened, and I noticed event posts don't really cover player politics - when they are very affecting of the Basin, deserving of a mention certainly more than some guy getting an airship going.

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Events posts are meant to cover the admin driven events, in short to keep the player-base up-to-date on what's happened and new areas.  Politics posts give note of the players winnings of villages and aetherbubbles.

Player driven events are really the job of the public news.  Why the heck are more people using this.  With all the gold in circulation you can't tell me the 1,000 gp news cost is a hindrance.  This may be a result of an aging and more jaded playerbase and an increase is using OOC communications (forums, OOC clans, social media) instead of keeping things in game and in character. 

Take a look at Lusternia's history--go read the public news posts and see what it was like in the first few years of the game and then compare to today.   I mean, this is the one thing the two orgs involved would be able to comment on.  Or heck, third parties can comment.  

[BANNERCODE]
  • The problem with public posts is that it is too often used as a place for what is essentially shouting matches and genital comparisons. With organisations today, especially with regards to things like alliances, representatives want to sound dignified, if not regal. It's not about embarrassment, it's politics, plain and simple. Looking good is as important as winning a village in terms of gaining power.

Whether or not player alliances should be featured in the politics or events board, I am personally undecided. Personally, though, I avoid the public board.

• QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    There was a public news post about it I believe.

• Lerad said:
    The problem with public posts is that it is too often used as a place for what is essentially shouting matches and genital comparisons. With organisations today, especially with regards to things like alliances, representatives want to sound dignified, if not regal. It's not about embarrassment, it's politics, plain and simple. Looking good is as important as winning a village in terms of gaining power.

Whether or not player alliances should be featured in the politics or events board, I am personally undecided. Personally, though, I avoid the public board.
    The order of this, from what I've witnessed and read, in the past posts, is that person A posts something short, or regal, or dignified, and before person B posts, or after, person C makes some comment that could easily be defined as either flippant or "trolling" for lack of a better term. Then, person A or B or both, or even person D, E, and F all have to comment on the flippant post by person C, creating what was a simple exchange into a storm.

This, in most cases, could be avoided if people ignored person C, or raged at him/her in private. Giving the attention to the person only encourages the genital contest. So, if leaders don't feed the troll, it will starve. I know, easier said than done, but it would make the public news available for what it was intended. That being public news.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    PUBLIC NEWS #1590
    Date: 1/25/2013 at 17:22
    To  : Everyone
    Subj: Dissolution of Equinox

Hello Basin of Life,

I announce the formal dissolution of the alliance between New Celest and
    the Forest of Glomdoring. Any inquiries may be directed toward the Star
    Council or the Shadow Court.

Xena McCloud
    Queen of New Celest

Penned by my hand on the 2nd of Tzarin, in the year 345 CE.

• Qistrel said:
    There was a public news post about it I believe.

Qistrel said:
    PUBLIC NEWS #1590
    Date: 1/25/2013 at 17:22
    To  : Everyone
    Subj: Dissolution of Equinox

Hello Basin of Life,

I announce the formal dissolution of the alliance between New Celest and
    the Forest of Glomdoring. Any inquiries may be directed toward the Star
    Council or the Shadow Court.

Xena McCloud
    Queen of New Celest

Penned by my hand on the 2nd of Tzarin, in the year 345 CE.
    I've got a feeling that one was only made because the written agreement included a clause that if one org wanted to dissolve the alliance, they'd have to make a public post about it.
  • It also doesn't quite capture how much of a big deal this is regarding player politics!
    If it's broken, break it some more.
  • If this is true, wouldn't it be true of Hallifax dissolving Ironhart, or leaving Trinity? Don't see why this is any different.
  • edited February 2013
    I guess it'd depend on the agreement made. Equinox had this clause in it, which made it a requirement:

~ Section II  Termination

+ The treaty is applicable until one of the parties chooses to revoke
    it. Revoking the treaty must be done publicly through the news,
    revocation will be in effect one day after this announcement.

Not sure if that one was in Trinity as well. Besides, nothing really binds people to follow all the clauses; the worst that can happen is that we call each other names for not following the treaty. And, for all intents and purposes, both Glom and Celest followed the treaty to the end (although with varying interpretations of some clauses).
  • To be honest, I wasn't even aware that any new alliances had formed until partway through Chaos and even then another admin had to say something about it. I don't have any strong opinion on whether or not player-driven events should be included in the admin-written sections but we aren't continually aware of player actions. Events posts usually tell a story as well and it is a little difficult for us to tell some sort of compelling story besides "Well, they made a public post breaking up the old alliance and then there was some referendums, the Shadow Court argued, but in the end three orgs banded together ultimately securing the Seal of Chaos for a member of the alliance!" since we don't really have the same involvement in player politics as players do.

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Yeah, and that would also be wrong. :P
  • There's a difference between 'player-driven events' and 'player-driven political changes'. The former bears a connotation that that admin have taken and ran with it for something bigger, the latter doesn't. The fact Celest/Glomdoring broke up their alliance isn't really Events-worthy, nor is the fact Glom/Gaudi/Mag won Elanorwen the Mark of Chaos, beyond the usual announce post regarding the trial.

If we started posting everything players did, people would feel (rightly so) that there's a bias to it - because, frankly, we don't all pay attention, and attention to varying degrees. People would feel upset the events board makes Celest look more active than Hallifax, and that it would only worsen Hallifax's perceived population issues. Or that things weren't being reported 'evenly'.

I think we're in the right place, where we just announce the things we're in control of, and leave it to players to trumpet their political shifts over the public board.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Posts on the public board discussing the change done in the style of the Imperial Proclamations/Gossip/Minutes of Board Meeting etc. from the histories would be neat!
  • Ushaara said:
    Posts on the public board discussing the change done in the style of the Imperial Proclamations/Gossip/Minutes of Board Meeting etc. from the histories would be neat!
    And entirely doable by the playerbase already though.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • Kiradawea said:
    Ushaara said:
    And entirely doable by the playerbase already though.
    Sadly, that would require effort. Who uses effort nowadays?
  • Is someone saying Tully can or can't post on public? Guy's a national treasure.
  • The point is I shouldn't be the ONLY one posting. Just take a look at the older days when events were happening and see the exchanges.

Plus, I really dont know anything when it comes to the intra-org alliances.
    [BANNERCODE]